This is why we ride

HA! Yup, even waited till I was out of town to sell the van. He knew I would be upset. Funny thing is that I've already spent more in material shipping costs than he got for the van.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
HA! Yup, even waited till I was out of town to sell the van. He knew I would be upset. Funny thing is that I've already spent more in material shipping costs than he got for the van.
lol - He is afraid of you Gone. :)
 
I've said it before and I'll say it again; I don't care what it costs, within reason,or how much MPG it gets. I ride for FUN, not transportation. Before I retired, I rode to work only one day a week, if that, on Wed. because it sort of broke up the week. If the ride was FUN, great, if it was a nerve-wracking hassle on SoCal frwys, I didn't. I like my heater and coffee in cooler weather, and the AC and the stereo when it wasn't. I don't listen to any tunes when I ride, I like the music of the road.
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again; I don't care what it costs, within reason,or how much MPG it gets. I ride for FUN, not transportation. Before I retired, I rode to work only one day a week, if that, on Wed. because it sort of broke up the week. If the ride was FUN, great, if it was a nerve-wracking hassle on SoCal frwys, I didn't. I like my heater and coffee in cooler weather, and the AC and the stereo when it wasn't. I don't listen to any tunes when I ride, I like the music of the road.
^^ +1 ^^
:beerchug:
 
Costs? Have you seen the price of new cars lately?
I'd wager that these days, riding is cheaper.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Costs? Have you seen the price of new cars lately?
I'd wager that these days, riding is cheaper.
Have you seen the price of a new Harley CVO Road Glide Limited, Indian Challenger Elite, BMW K 1600 Grand America? Goldwing DCT? :rofl:
 
Out of my price range. My CB1100 cost me one tenth of the current median price for a new car.
I had a sidewall cut on my Fiesta recently, and had to replace one tire. After fees, it cost more than my last pair of motorcycle tires (with me mounting/balancing - can't mount/balance a car tire in my garage).

And, with California gas prices back over $5.50/gal, 50 mpg is pretty nice.
 
Why?
Freedom, but more than just that untethered feeling that is akin to flying and more than the mystique of the "open road". Riding a motorcycle is not second nature to me. It demands my complete attention virtually all the time. That focus on a singular task pushes thoughts of my business, of problems in the world, of nagging personal issues out of my brain. I've had similar mentally liberating experiences with waterskiing, golf, and fly fishing, but none of those require sustained attention for hours at a time as does riding a motorbike. My mind does fill with images I've encountered on a ride, but contemplation of those things have to wait until I'm off the bike. Riding frees my mind.

Oh, and it's fun as cuss! :biker:
 
The ferret_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Costs? Have you seen the price of new cars lately?
I'd wager that these days, riding is cheaper.
Have you seen the price of a new Harley CVO Road Glide Limited, Indian Challenger Elite, BMW K 1600 Grand America? Goldwing DCT? :rofl:
It indeed feels like a privilege these days.
 
I thought the title of this thread was a good one to hijack for my latest micro adventure. I am taking out the BMW R18 Bagger tomorrow as the dealer is running an open day and offering rides.

I have zero intention of buying the bike, I just don't think they suited Irish roads but I am looking forward to trying it. I'm glad people still make stupid bikes like this, including the likes of the Rocket 3, Diavel, Niken and maybe our own air-cooled CB1100? I do hope my dodgy hips cope with the 398Kg (877 pounds) :-0 I'll report back!

 
Thread starter
I got the R18 Bagger for a day as a replacement of my R18 cruiser. As it has 50 kg additional to my R18, I found it a bit top heavy.
But it has a luxury cockpit with a huge display and handles well when running.
The 1800 cc engine is quite an experience!

I guess you will have a pleasant ride.
However, test riding the R18 may cause serious desire and can be dangerous to your bank account, as I can tell you. :)

When I switched back to my R18, it felt like a bicycle beside it has also 345 kg weigth.
 
Sounds like fun, Tev! I like doing demo rides, especially for bikes that I know I will never buy, either based on the size or the price.
Just signed up for a demo day on the Livewire Del Mar for when I get back from my upcoming work trip. No chance I'll spend on one, but I'd like to try it.
 
Django_imp said:
I got the R18 Bagger for a day as a replacement of my R18 cruiser. As it has 50 kg additional to my R18, I found it a bit top heavy.
But it has a luxury cockpit with a huge display and handles well when running.
The 1800 cc engine is quite an experience!

I guess you will have a pleasant ride.
However, test riding the R18 may cause serious desire and can be dangerous to your bank account, as I can tell you. :)

When I switched back to my R18, it felt like a bicycle beside it has also 345 kg weigth.
I will purposely not take a credit card so I can't "accidentally" leave a deposit. I have three bikes and can't ride them enough already, a fourth would be an extravagance.

I note the Bagger and Transcontinental are shorter wheelbase, have an extra 30mm of rear suspension travel and an auto preload so they are serious about making these a capable travelling machine.
Gone in 60_imp said:
Sounds like fun, Tev! I like doing demo rides, especially for bikes that I know I will never buy, either based on the size or the price.
Just signed up for a demo day on the Livewire Del Mar for when I get back from my upcoming work trip. No chance I'll spend on one, but I'd like to try it.
Livewire Del Mar - Had to look that one up. Well that is a very challenging bike on the looks front :s But I bet it will be fun, enjoy!
 
Have fun, Tev. I await your full report and photos, if the opportunity arises.
That is way too much machine for me, but it is a beauty. I believe the Harley Davidson, tricycle, my friend, Diane, is riding across the US has an 1800cc engine and it is a monster. Sure glad she didn't launch it into our swimming pool.
 
What a brute of a thing to get out of a pool.
 
For sure she is the boss of her beast.
Great looking bike, white color adds up to enhanced it look!
Does she poses a lifeguard certificate? :P
 
Well the bagger test ride turned into the 100 years special edition test ride! I registered for the event, booked the bagger and on arrival I was on the list to take the bagger. I was issued a key and it wasn't for the bagger but the 100 years edition bike. At this stage it was 60 seconds to the off when I realised so I just accepted it.

The 100 years edition is exquisite, looked a million $$$, was great fun to ride. Torquey yes but not "ultra torquey", this is in the vein of the CB1100, a low compression ratio air & oil cooled engined bike with around 91hp but 158Nm of Torque@3,000RPM. It is a heritage bike and they are not trying to compete with the other muscle bikes out there.

It has quite a subdued engine at low throttle inputs but has a pleasant bark if you wish to make full use of your right hand. Suspension was better than expected, better high speed damping than my GS, how crazy is that?

There was nothing I didn't like about this bike (well one thing), it was pure quality everywhere. The special edition comes with the reversing system off the starter motor but I didn't need it. I wouldn't want to make a putz of myself without it outside the coffee shop though! It is a one trick pony I think, a pure indulgence ride and I'm fine with that, we need mad bikes every now and then. I don't think I could bring myself to put luggage on it.

I went down to a GS to lose weight over my Tiger, this was a whopping 345Kg but so low as not to matter, it was very manageable. The considerable extra weight of the bagger would of spoiled it I think.

My one dislike was the leg ergos, the floorboards/heel-toe shifter they had put on as an optional extra. You had to lift your foot a good bit off the floorboard to use it which got quite uncomfortable over the hours test ride with a heavy boot. It would of been far better with the standard peg setup which it would normally come with. I would also reluctantly swap out the lovely100 year edition seat for the taller accessory seat to give me more hip room, this bike is low and you are a little scrunched up.

Would I buy one, yes, the 100 year one with those foot peg mods mentioned with them all together in a line up it easily stood out. I'd probably only put 2-3K miles a year on it, it's one of those bikes. You'd sit up the coffee shop and a bunch of fellows would deride your choice, "you can't tour on that thing fella" and "you'll be left for dust everywhere", you'd just reply "yeh, I know" not feeling the need to justify your choice. It's as mad as a box of frogs, as they say.

Can I buy one, not if I wan't to live :s :D

 
We can like things, without the need to buy or own them.
We can like animals, without the need to capture or herd them.
We can like (many) people, without the need to own them, herd them, or tell them what to do ...
But all these encounters, things, animals and people tend to change sth very deep down in our minds, change it so slowly that we never get aware of it.
Later we call it a "change of mind", and it is irreversible.
THIS is why we ride.

Tev62_imp said:
Django_imp said:
I got the R18 Bagger for a day as a replacement of my R18 cruiser. As it has 50 kg additional to my R18, I found it a bit top heavy.
But it has a luxury cockpit with a huge display and handles well when running.
The 1800 cc engine is quite an experience!

I guess you will have a pleasant ride.
However, test riding the R18 may cause serious desire and can be dangerous to your bank account, as I can tell you. :)

When I switched back to my R18, it felt like a bicycle beside it has also 345 kg weigth.
I will purposely not take a credit card so I can't "accidentally" leave a deposit. I have three bikes and can't ride them enough already, a fourth would be an extravagance.

I note the Bagger and Transcontinental are shorter wheelbase, have an extra 30mm of rear suspension travel and an auto preload so they are serious about making these a capable travelling machine.
Gone in 60_imp said:
Sounds like fun, Tev! I like doing demo rides, especially for bikes that I know I will never buy, either based on the size or the price.
Just signed up for a demo day on the Livewire Del Mar for when I get back from my upcoming work trip. No chance I'll spend on one, but I'd like to try it.
Livewire Del Mar - Had to look that one up. Well that is a very challenging bike on the looks front :s But I bet it will be fun, enjoy!
Smart decision, Tev!
 
Back
Top