the Ferret
Road warrior
Thread starter
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
That is sobering. That Dragon has got the worst reputation of any road in the country. North Carolina, then? Been hearing about this road for decades. We have our own deadly roads in my area, I guess every locale has one or two.The ferret_imp said:
11 miles long and a huge tourist attraction. Of course this kind of thing is going to happen. I know nothing about the details of "The Dragon" other than it being mentioned to me a few times about 30 years ago. It did not sound like anything different than the roads I was already riding, except it was extremely congested. One curving road is about the same as another in general, the same kinds of challenges are to found anywhere.LongRanger_imp said:Ulve, the Dragon isn't a dead-end road.
We have similar roads here that don't get the same attention from motorcyclists or drivers, but boy oh boy do they get congested with bicyclists.
I spent 15 years in San Diego. Two popular roads, Palomar and Ortega, see the same types of accidents as the Dragon. Lots of yahoos who think they know how to ride because they have a GSXR, wear racing leathers, and read "Twist of the Wrist." The locals aren't impressed.
Agree but no one is going to do that except for a laugh. Over 300 turns, safety netting is not going to happen.nhawk7504_imp said:My brother rides there every year or two on his Multistrada. He goes in the Spring before the rush. As he says, if you miss a turn, you are off a cliff into the trees below. Riders should set up a fund to install some safety netting on the worst corners, or something. This guy was lucky that debris in the road made someone stop and look over the side. I think a Honda Grom is perfect for that road. Very little power so even if you are stupid fast you are only going 35.
Neither could I.MikeD_imp said:I live about a 100 miles from there. I haven't ridden the road, nor will I. It's the people driving/riding the Dragon who make it so dangerous. Like other roads in the country, it has curves that draw photographers who are there because they know there will be a spectacular crash.
I know a lot of people who go regularly. They can have it.
I read the article yesterday, but couldn't bring myself to watch the video clip.
Just visiting that road is asking for a bit more trouble than usual, from the evidence. Maybe there's some time of the week when it's empty? But you say there is all kinds of truck traffic; I just read that trucks over 30 feet are now banned, but still, if these corners are tight, that's a lot of truck.4 Paws_imp said:Yeah, the road has become a zoo. I was in the neighborhood recently but avoided the road due to the traffic heading that way. Everyone really wanted to justify buying the T-shirt.
Honestly, on a Thursday morning there was a solid line of bikes as far as I could see heading over there so we went to the Cherahola Skyway and had it to ourselves.
Google dragon fail and you can see photos of an endless stream of tractor trailers trying to navigate the road as well as cars and bikes galore "driving like they are in Great Britton".
Well-said and perfectly true.The ferret_imp said:Ulve google Killboy.com to see pics from the Dragon
Huge touristy place for not only bikes, but lots of cars hold their rallies there as well. It has the name, that's all, and all kinds of subset roads named after it, Back of the Dragon, Claw of the Dragon, etc. each trying to draw tourists.
All roads (racetracks too) are basically made up of straights, left curves and right curves of varying degrees and combinations, sometimes flat and sometimes angled up or down. It's why I never tire of riding the roads around here even though I ride them everyday... A left curve here is just like a left curve in North Carolina or California.
What makes places different for me is what is on the left and right sides of the road. In North Carolina or West VIrginia, it just might be a sheer drop off. The Dragon has lots of drop offs. Where riders get in trouble on the Dragon is they are not really accomplished at riding curves, especially when there are a lot of them, and they put a whole lot of them one right after another. They might make the first few, but one eventually suprises them and if they make it thru that one, they are really out of shape for the next one, and all the ones that follow. They never fully recover, and they refuse to pull over and regroup and eventually it bites them in the butt.
When I am teaching people to draw, it's the same thing.. Everything in nature is made up of straight lines and crooked lines. IF you can draw a straight line and if you can draw a crooked line, then you can draw anything as long as you can recognise the lines and repeat them.
A guy's really got to ride his own ride.4 Paws_imp said:Lemmings.
Racetracks are the same as you say. My favorite tracks have off-camber turns, dips, all kinds of different conditions to master, so when I get onto the street that stuff is familiar and easier to handle.The ferret_imp said:Ulve google Killboy.com to see pics from the Dragon
Huge touristy place for not only bikes, but lots of cars hold their rallies there as well. It has the name, that's all, and all kinds of subset roads named after it, Back of the Dragon, Claw of the Dragon, etc. each trying to draw tourists.
All roads (racetracks too) are basically made up of straights, left curves and right curves of varying degrees and combinations, sometimes flat and sometimes angled up or down. It's why I never tire of riding the roads around here even though I ride them everyday... A left curve here is just like a left curve in North Carolina or California.
What makes places different for me is what is on the left and right sides of the road. In North Carolina or West VIrginia, it just might be a sheer drop off. The Dragon has lots of drop offs. Where riders get in trouble on the Dragon is they are not really accomplished at riding curves, especially when there are a lot of them, and they put a whole lot of them one right after another. They might make the first few, but one eventually suprises them and if they make it thru that one, they are really out of shape for the next one, and all the ones that follow. They never fully recover, and they refuse to pull over and regroup and eventually it bites them in the butt.
When I am teaching people to draw, it's the same thing.. Everything in nature is made up of straight lines and crooked lines. IF you can draw a straight line and if you can draw a crooked line, then you can draw anything as long as you can recognise the lines and repeat them.