They were right

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
You know how the ad copy says the CB is a bike that makes you want to just go for a ride for no reason? Tonight after dinner, my wife headed off to her pottery class. I had Two and a Half Men on the telly, and said to myself..... hey lets go for a ride. Grabbed a helmet, gloves and leather jacket, Walked out to the garage, walked past the Majesty and the ST and rolled out the CB. With no particular place to go, just headed out and rode around for an hour. Turn after turn I laid it over and let that awesome motor just pull me out the other side. Put a giant smile on my face. This bike does indeed make you just want to go for a ride. What a great motorcycle ;)

 
Most of the time when I ride I have no destination in mind, I just pick a direction and go. Any time on the bike is time well spent.
 
Yep, did the same thing, was < 80 degrees and low humidity, perfect temp for my new leather jacket, was 71 degrees by the time I got back, beautiful evening on the CB1100!
 
Absolutely agree with the things said in this thread. Thinking back into years past, some of my most memorable rides were "rides of discovery". By that I mean just filling up the tank, and heading out in the hopes seeing some new places, or just plain getting lost in some far away farm country. Unfortunately, as your riding experience grows and your mental map becomes more complete, getting lost becomes an increasingly-difficult thing to do. I still remember the first ride I took through Philadelphia (a city I have lived near all my life, but never really explored until I had a motorcycle). Back in 2003, out on my brand-new SV650 with a learner's permit, I got to experience the thrilling twists of Kelly & West River Drives, as well as all the great history of Fairmount Park, Old City, the Navy Yard, and Penn's Landing. It taught me that life can be most interesting when you don't have a clue where you're going!
 
The deeper the stuff the better. My CB1100 hasn't yet meet a gravel or dirt road it didn't like. As long as the "road" entrace has a sign that doesn't say dead end, I'm game! Of course a few do dead end, but occasionally at really nice remote lookouts on the Susquehanna or other nice river.
 
Thread starter
Ok I have to go look up empiricism .....

I understand deep though lol

I know when grown men wax eloquently about a mechanical object, it generally means they like it!
For me this bike hits a bunch of pleasure buttons, look, sound, feel, power plus the nostalgia button. Win..win..win..win..win..
 
I have always said that most women don't understand the relationship between a man and his motorcycle. Of course women who have motorcycles do understand. A car just doesn't do it. It's not the same. Maybe it's because we (most of us) don't ride horses any more. Call it an obsession or maybe a disease. (?) You all know what I'm talking about. Maybe I'll name mine "Trigger"!
 
I believe the attraction to the motorcycle is three fold. First is the art of the bike as I refer to it, the thrill you get just looking at them. Second is the mechanical which you either get or don't. Third is the ride, closest to flying we can experience. Put them together and they are hard habits to break.

Each of us is affected differently and by degree. I know there are pure riders, pure collectors and pure mechanics. Most of us I think have some of each.

I think I will always have a motorcycle in the garage even beyond the point that I can ride it. To visit and remember.... Maybe more then one.
 
bubblerboy64_imp said:
I believe the attraction to the motorcycle is three fold. First is the art of the bike as I refer to it, the thrill you get just looking at them. Second is the mechanical which you either get or don't. Third is the ride, closest to flying we can experience. Put them together and they are hard habits to break.

Each of us is affected differently and by degree. I know there are pure riders, pure collectors and pure mechanics. Most of us I think have some of each.

I think I will always have a motorcycle in the garage even beyond the point that I can ride it. To visit and remember.... Maybe more then one.
Bubbleboy, I have never heard it put into words better than you did. You described exactly how I feel. Well said!
I've been telling people what you said in your last statement for years.
 
Back
Top