Thermometer for air temp?

bioman_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Good timing. I was wanting one for my NC, so ran up to the local Petco and found a nice little digital unit for $14.95 made by Zoo Med Laboratories. Reads both F and C. It only came in bright yellow, however some black electrical tape fixed that, and some sticky backed Velcro mounted it in place. The probe just hangs inside the fairing well.

3b832f8b46fa77068e2ce15932c15af6.jpg


This morning it read 54.9 in my garage. A mile up the road the gauge indicated 42. The thermometer outside my house on the porch read 42 when I checked it when I got home, as did my PC and the weather app on my phone, so it seems to be fairly accurate. Who knows?

Here, you can see it below my speedo on yesterday's ride reading 35.4 degrees

fba839cf6852d124949ed1d933c653b8.jpg


You can turn it on and off with a little switch in the upper r/h corner for wehn you are not using it, to conserve the battery.

Don't know how long it will last (It's got a year's guarantee they said) but it didn't cost much and provides info I was lacking/missing. For $15 I'm happy with it so far.
That is a GREAT idea! Not sure how water-proof it is, but as it is made for terrariums it should be able to handle some humidity. Thanks a lot for the suggestion! :thumbsup:



peterbaron_imp said:
ymtnpoah11_imp said:
Strange... Doesn't the world's majority use C? I would think it would be an easy find among bicycling accessories.
This is the only *C analog I found..... but if you read more, it says 58mm dia, battery powered, then further down it says Product accessories: The product comes with a 31mm diameter...no battery required :s

https://www.amazon.ca/Drink-Thermometer-...110&sr=8-8

Bioman, is that what you want???

Not really. I am afraid that this thing will get too hot when it is out in the sun and thus will show its own body temperature instead of the air temperature. I was therefore looking for a thermometer with an external probe that I can place in a covered part of the bike.

That is a GREAT idea! Not sure how water-proof it is, but as it is made for terrariums it should be able to handle some humidity. Thanks a lot for the suggestion! :thumbsup:



peterbaron_imp said:
ymtnpoah11_imp said:
This is the only *C analog I found..... but if you read more, it says 58mm dia, battery powered, then further down it says Product accessories: The product comes with a 31mm diameter...no battery required :s

[url=https://www.amazon.ca/Drink-Thermometer-Mechanical-Temperature-Sticker/dp/B08VGGSZ3K/ref=sr_1_8?crid=23A2BO5O8RHDB&keywords=analog+motorcycle+thermometer&qid=1674594767&sprefix=analog+motorcycle+thermometer%2Caps%2C110&sr=8-8]https://www.amazon.ca/Drink-Thermometer-...110&sr=8-8

Bioman, is that what you want???
Not really. I am afraid that this thing will get too hot when it is out in the sun and thus will show its own body temperature instead of the air temperature. I was therefore looking for a thermometer with an external probe that I can place in a covered part of the bike.
How about a 2" analog (mechanical) chrome temperature gauge glued on the HONDA badge located between the speedo & Tach?
 
Alain Lee_imp said:
bioman_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Good timing. I was wanting one for my NC, so ran up to the local Petco and found a nice little digital unit for $14.95 made by Zoo Med Laboratories. Reads both F and C. It only came in bright yellow, however some black electrical tape fixed that, and some sticky backed Velcro mounted it in place. The probe just hangs inside the fairing well.

3b832f8b46fa77068e2ce15932c15af6.jpg


This morning it read 54.9 in my garage. A mile up the road the gauge indicated 42. The thermometer outside my house on the porch read 42 when I checked it when I got home, as did my PC and the weather app on my phone, so it seems to be fairly accurate. Who knows?

Here, you can see it below my speedo on yesterday's ride reading 35.4 degrees

fba839cf6852d124949ed1d933c653b8.jpg


You can turn it on and off with a little switch in the upper r/h corner for wehn you are not using it, to conserve the battery.

Don't know how long it will last (It's got a year's guarantee they said) but it didn't cost much and provides info I was lacking/missing. For $15 I'm happy with it so far.
That is a GREAT idea! Not sure how water-proof it is, but as it is made for terrariums it should be able to handle some humidity. Thanks a lot for the suggestion! :thumbsup:



peterbaron_imp said:
ymtnpoah11_imp said:
Strange... Doesn't the world's majority use C? I would think it would be an easy find among bicycling accessories.
This is the only *C analog I found..... but if you read more, it says 58mm dia, battery powered, then further down it says Product accessories: The product comes with a 31mm diameter...no battery required :s

https://www.amazon.ca/Drink-Thermometer-...110&sr=8-8

Bioman, is that what you want???

Not really. I am afraid that this thing will get too hot when it is out in the sun and thus will show its own body temperature instead of the air temperature. I was therefore looking for a thermometer with an external probe that I can place in a covered part of the bike.

That is a GREAT idea! Not sure how water-proof it is, but as it is made for terrariums it should be able to handle some humidity. Thanks a lot for the suggestion! :thumbsup:



peterbaron_imp said:
ymtnpoah11_imp said:
This is the only *C analog I found..... but if you read more, it says 58mm dia, battery powered, then further down it says Product accessories: The product comes with a 31mm diameter...no battery required :s

[url=https://www.amazon.ca/Drink-Thermometer-Mechanical-Temperature-Sticker/dp/B08VGGSZ3K/ref=sr_1_8?crid=23A2BO5O8RHDB&keywords=analog+motorcycle+thermometer&qid=1674594767&sprefix=analog+motorcycle+thermometer%2Caps%2C110&sr=8-8]https://www.amazon.ca/Drink-Thermometer-...110&sr=8-8

Bioman, is that what you want???
Not really. I am afraid that this thing will get too hot when it is out in the sun and thus will show its own body temperature instead of the air temperature. I was therefore looking for a thermometer with an external probe that I can place in a covered part of the bike.
How about a 2" analog (mechanical) chrome temperature gauge glued on the HONDA badge located between the speedo & Tach?


You sure you have enough mounted on those bars Alain? Which one is the rocket launcher? :P
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
I wanted to know the temp while riding and got a meat thermometer, analog, with 3/4 or 1 in. dial, and zip tied it to the throttle links at the handlebar. Worked great. I wear bifocal photochrome, transitional, lenses pretty much all the time now and they help see the dash.
Resourceful Charlie. :thumbsup:
Resourceful Charlie. :thumbsup:
Tnx! I like to repurpose things if I can. Back when I had a sailboat, I did plenty of repurpose schemes on it and bikes I had then.
 
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Alain Lee_imp said:
bioman_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Good timing. I was wanting one for my NC, so ran up to the local Petco and found a nice little digital unit for $14.95 made by Zoo Med Laboratories. Reads both F and C. It only came in bright yellow, however some black electrical tape fixed that, and some sticky backed Velcro mounted it in place. The probe just hangs inside the fairing well.

3b832f8b46fa77068e2ce15932c15af6.jpg


This morning it read 54.9 in my garage. A mile up the road the gauge indicated 42. The thermometer outside my house on the porch read 42 when I checked it when I got home, as did my PC and the weather app on my phone, so it seems to be fairly accurate. Who knows?

Here, you can see it below my speedo on yesterday's ride reading 35.4 degrees

fba839cf6852d124949ed1d933c653b8.jpg


You can turn it on and off with a little switch in the upper r/h corner for wehn you are not using it, to conserve the battery.

Don't know how long it will last (It's got a year's guarantee they said) but it didn't cost much and provides info I was lacking/missing. For $15 I'm happy with it so far.
That is a GREAT idea! Not sure how water-proof it is, but as it is made for terrariums it should be able to handle some humidity. Thanks a lot for the suggestion! :thumbsup:



peterbaron_imp said:
ymtnpoah11_imp said:
Strange... Doesn't the world's majority use C? I would think it would be an easy find among bicycling accessories.
This is the only *C analog I found..... but if you read more, it says 58mm dia, battery powered, then further down it says Product accessories: The product comes with a 31mm diameter...no battery required :s

https://www.amazon.ca/Drink-Thermometer-...110&sr=8-8

Bioman, is that what you want???

Not really. I am afraid that this thing will get too hot when it is out in the sun and thus will show its own body temperature instead of the air temperature. I was therefore looking for a thermometer with an external probe that I can place in a covered part of the bike.

That is a GREAT idea! Not sure how water-proof it is, but as it is made for terrariums it should be able to handle some humidity. Thanks a lot for the suggestion! :thumbsup:



peterbaron_imp said:
ymtnpoah11_imp said:
This is the only *C analog I found..... but if you read more, it says 58mm dia, battery powered, then further down it says Product accessories: The product comes with a 31mm diameter...no battery required :s

[url=https://www.amazon.ca/Drink-Thermometer-Mechanical-Temperature-Sticker/dp/B08VGGSZ3K/ref=sr_1_8?crid=23A2BO5O8RHDB&keywords=analog+motorcycle+thermometer&qid=1674594767&sprefix=analog+motorcycle+thermometer%2Caps%2C110&sr=8-8]https://www.amazon.ca/Drink-Thermometer-...110&sr=8-8

Bioman, is that what you want???
Not really. I am afraid that this thing will get too hot when it is out in the sun and thus will show its own body temperature instead of the air temperature. I was therefore looking for a thermometer with an external probe that I can place in a covered part of the bike.
How about a 2" analog (mechanical) chrome temperature gauge glued on the HONDA badge located between the speedo & Tach?


You sure you have enough mounted on those bars Alain? Which one is the rocket launcher? :P

You sure you have enough mounted on those bars Alain? Which one is the rocket launcher? :P
Ha Ha Ha. :biker:
GoldOxide_imp said:
How about "Seen" and being "Seen". )):
 
Alain Lee_imp said:
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Alain Lee_imp said:
bioman_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Good timing. I was wanting one for my NC, so ran up to the local Petco and found a nice little digital unit for $14.95 made by Zoo Med Laboratories. Reads both F and C. It only came in bright yellow, however some black electrical tape fixed that, and some sticky backed Velcro mounted it in place. The probe just hangs inside the fairing well.

3b832f8b46fa77068e2ce15932c15af6.jpg


This morning it read 54.9 in my garage. A mile up the road the gauge indicated 42. The thermometer outside my house on the porch read 42 when I checked it when I got home, as did my PC and the weather app on my phone, so it seems to be fairly accurate. Who knows?

Here, you can see it below my speedo on yesterday's ride reading 35.4 degrees

fba839cf6852d124949ed1d933c653b8.jpg


You can turn it on and off with a little switch in the upper r/h corner for wehn you are not using it, to conserve the battery.

Don't know how long it will last (It's got a year's guarantee they said) but it didn't cost much and provides info I was lacking/missing. For $15 I'm happy with it so far.
That is a GREAT idea! Not sure how water-proof it is, but as it is made for terrariums it should be able to handle some humidity. Thanks a lot for the suggestion! :thumbsup:



peterbaron_imp said:
ymtnpoah11_imp said:
Strange... Doesn't the world's majority use C? I would think it would be an easy find among bicycling accessories.
This is the only *C analog I found..... but if you read more, it says 58mm dia, battery powered, then further down it says Product accessories: The product comes with a 31mm diameter...no battery required :s

https://www.amazon.ca/Drink-Thermometer-...110&sr=8-8

Bioman, is that what you want???

Not really. I am afraid that this thing will get too hot when it is out in the sun and thus will show its own body temperature instead of the air temperature. I was therefore looking for a thermometer with an external probe that I can place in a covered part of the bike.

That is a GREAT idea! Not sure how water-proof it is, but as it is made for terrariums it should be able to handle some humidity. Thanks a lot for the suggestion! :thumbsup:



peterbaron_imp said:
ymtnpoah11_imp said:
This is the only *C analog I found..... but if you read more, it says 58mm dia, battery powered, then further down it says Product accessories: The product comes with a 31mm diameter...no battery required :s

[url=https://www.amazon.ca/Drink-Thermometer-Mechanical-Temperature-Sticker/dp/B08VGGSZ3K/ref=sr_1_8?crid=23A2BO5O8RHDB&keywords=analog+motorcycle+thermometer&qid=1674594767&sprefix=analog+motorcycle+thermometer%2Caps%2C110&sr=8-8]https://www.amazon.ca/Drink-Thermometer-...110&sr=8-8

Bioman, is that what you want???
Not really. I am afraid that this thing will get too hot when it is out in the sun and thus will show its own body temperature instead of the air temperature. I was therefore looking for a thermometer with an external probe that I can place in a covered part of the bike.
How about a 2" analog (mechanical) chrome temperature gauge glued on the HONDA badge located between the speedo & Tach?


You sure you have enough mounted on those bars Alain? Which one is the rocket launcher? :P

You sure you have enough mounted on those bars Alain? Which one is the rocket launcher? :P
Ha Ha Ha. :biker:
GoldOxide_imp said:
How about "Seen" and being "Seen". )):

lol - I definitely saw you at night Alain in my rear view mirrors. :biker:

(my eyes have recovered since then)
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Alain Lee_imp said:
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Alain Lee_imp said:
bioman_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Good timing. I was wanting one for my NC, so ran up to the local Petco and found a nice little digital unit for $14.95 made by Zoo Med Laboratories. Reads both F and C. It only came in bright yellow, however some black electrical tape fixed that, and some sticky backed Velcro mounted it in place. The probe just hangs inside the fairing well.

3b832f8b46fa77068e2ce15932c15af6.jpg


This morning it read 54.9 in my garage. A mile up the road the gauge indicated 42. The thermometer outside my house on the porch read 42 when I checked it when I got home, as did my PC and the weather app on my phone, so it seems to be fairly accurate. Who knows?

Here, you can see it below my speedo on yesterday's ride reading 35.4 degrees

fba839cf6852d124949ed1d933c653b8.jpg


You can turn it on and off with a little switch in the upper r/h corner for wehn you are not using it, to conserve the battery.

Don't know how long it will last (It's got a year's guarantee they said) but it didn't cost much and provides info I was lacking/missing. For $15 I'm happy with it so far.
That is a GREAT idea! Not sure how water-proof it is, but as it is made for terrariums it should be able to handle some humidity. Thanks a lot for the suggestion! :thumbsup:



peterbaron_imp said:
ymtnpoah11_imp said:
Strange... Doesn't the world's majority use C? I would think it would be an easy find among bicycling accessories.
This is the only *C analog I found..... but if you read more, it says 58mm dia, battery powered, then further down it says Product accessories: The product comes with a 31mm diameter...no battery required :s

https://www.amazon.ca/Drink-Thermometer-...110&sr=8-8

Bioman, is that what you want???

Not really. I am afraid that this thing will get too hot when it is out in the sun and thus will show its own body temperature instead of the air temperature. I was therefore looking for a thermometer with an external probe that I can place in a covered part of the bike.

That is a GREAT idea! Not sure how water-proof it is, but as it is made for terrariums it should be able to handle some humidity. Thanks a lot for the suggestion! :thumbsup:



peterbaron_imp said:
ymtnpoah11_imp said:
This is the only *C analog I found..... but if you read more, it says 58mm dia, battery powered, then further down it says Product accessories: The product comes with a 31mm diameter...no battery required :s

[url=https://www.amazon.ca/Drink-Thermometer-Mechanical-Temperature-Sticker/dp/B08VGGSZ3K/ref=sr_1_8?crid=23A2BO5O8RHDB&keywords=analog+motorcycle+thermometer&qid=1674594767&sprefix=analog+motorcycle+thermometer%2Caps%2C110&sr=8-8]https://www.amazon.ca/Drink-Thermometer-...110&sr=8-8

Bioman, is that what you want???
Not really. I am afraid that this thing will get too hot when it is out in the sun and thus will show its own body temperature instead of the air temperature. I was therefore looking for a thermometer with an external probe that I can place in a covered part of the bike.
How about a 2" analog (mechanical) chrome temperature gauge glued on the HONDA badge located between the speedo & Tach?


You sure you have enough mounted on those bars Alain? Which one is the rocket launcher? :P

You sure you have enough mounted on those bars Alain? Which one is the rocket launcher? :P
Ha Ha Ha. :biker:
GoldOxide_imp said:
How about "Seen" and being "Seen". )):

lol - I definitely saw you at night Alain in my rear view mirrors. :biker:

(my eyes have recovered since then)

lol - I definitely saw you at night Alain in my rear view mirrors. :biker:

(my eyes have recovered since then)
GO, it was a memorable ride :banana: :biker:
 
As I get to know my Enfield Interceptor, I keep finding interesting features on it, like a temperature gauge.

When the gauges fog up, I know it’s below 50 degrees.

I am looking for a handlebar mounted clock that’s easy to read.
 
Funny that it would come with a temp gauge but not a clock. Wait were you being facetious? You mean you know it's under 50 because the gauges fog up? Too funny.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Funny that it would come with a temp gauge but not a clock. Wait were you being facetious? You mean you know it's under 50 because the gauges fog up? Too funny.
Pretty sure Gone has the RE INT650 California model...the fogging up is an early warning indicator that tells the rider it's too chilly for CA riders to be on the road. Kinda of a canary in the mine deal.
 
pdedse_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Funny that it would come with a temp gauge but not a clock. Wait were you being facetious? You mean you know it's under 50 because the gauges fog up? Too funny.
Pretty sure Gone has the RE INT650 California model...the fogging up is an early warning indicator that tells the rider it's too chilly for CA riders to be on the road. Kinda of a canary in the mine deal.
Pretty sure Gone has the RE INT650 California model...the fogging up is an early warning indicator that tells the rider it's too chilly for CA riders to be on the road. Kinda of a canary in the mine deal.
lol - and I reckon over time the instrumentation "fog" will slowly turn into a waxy/greasy stain on the inside resembling?
 
pdedse_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Funny that it would come with a temp gauge but not a clock. Wait were you being facetious? You mean you know it's under 50 because the gauges fog up? Too funny.
Pretty sure Gone has the RE INT650 California model...the fogging up is an early warning indicator that tells the rider it's too chilly for CA riders to be on the road. Kinda of a canary in the mine deal.
Pretty sure Gone has the RE INT650 California model...the fogging up is an early warning indicator that tells the rider it's too chilly for CA riders to be on the road. Kinda of a canary in the mine deal.
:rofl:
 
I am not to worry. My gauges have yellow stickers on the back sides, which, according to the folks on the RE forum means that my gauges have been blessed by disciples of Visnnu and will never have an issue.

I’m gathering that yellow stickers on RE gauges are sort of their RLETs.
 
@Mr Lee: If one glued two iPad Pro/s on the mirrors, in plain sight of the rider, such bike would even look better. And I am sure you could use their connectivity and processing powers to get a very, very accurate temp estimate for your time and location.
 
Back
Top