Thermometer for air temp?

Papa Weeley_imp said:
I've used several of the Formotion items, and they're really nice, high quality products, but the problem I find with any thermo on a bike, is being directly in the sun all the time, it tends to read WAY higher than the actual temperature, rendering it just about useless. :-/
You're right Papa.
I have a pair of Marlins (clock and thermo) on my Bonneville and the thermometer is all but useless being in the direct sun all the time.
But as popgun said, the gauges do look so cool :D
 
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread. I am also looking for a air thermometer that I can mount on my handlebar with or without a (DIY) bracket. One of my other bikes (MG Griso) has one on the dash and I miss it on the CB. I looked around for motorcycle thermometers on the usual websites, and they are almost all for the engine temp or for water-temp (i.e. coolant) or without a probe (that you can attach in a covered/shaded part of the bike).
Does any of you have a reliable (and affordable) thermometer mounted on your bike (that is clearly visible when riding)?
 
Good timing. I was wanting one for my NC, so ran up to the local Petco and found a nice little digital unit for $14.95 made by Zoo Med Laboratories. Reads both F and C. It only came in bright yellow, however some black electrical tape fixed that, and some sticky backed Velcro mounted it in place. The probe just hangs inside the fairing well.

3b832f8b46fa77068e2ce15932c15af6.jpg


This morning it read 54.9 in my garage. A mile up the road the gauge indicated 42. The thermometer outside my house on the porch read 42 when I checked it when I got home, as did my PC and the weather app on my phone, so it seems to be fairly accurate. Who knows?

Here, you can see it below my speedo on yesterday's ride reading 35.4 degrees

fba839cf6852d124949ed1d933c653b8.jpg


You can turn it on and off with a little switch in the upper r/h corner for wehn you are not using it, to conserve the battery.

Don't know how long it will last (It's got a year's guarantee they said) but it didn't cost much and provides info I was lacking/missing. For $15 I'm happy with it so far.
 
I dig it! Though would guess it will last only as long as it takes for warmer weather to turn the electrical tape to goo.

This is a cool thread, but I'm bummed the earlier links don't work. I love analog clocks and gauges.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Good timing. I was wanting one for my NC, so ran up to the local Petco and found a nice little digital unit for $14.95 made by Zoo Med Laboratories. Reads both F and C. It only came in bright yellow, however some black electrical tape fixed that, and some sticky backed Velcro mounted it in place. The probe just hangs inside the fairing well.

3b832f8b46fa77068e2ce15932c15af6.jpg


This morning it read 54.9 in my garage. A mile up the road the gauge indicated 42. The thermometer outside my house on the porch read 42 when I checked it when I got home, as did my PC and the weather app on my phone, so it seems to be fairly accurate. Who knows?

Here, you can see it below my speedo on yesterday's ride reading 35.4 degrees

fba839cf6852d124949ed1d933c653b8.jpg


You can turn it on and off with a little switch in the upper r/h corner for wehn you are not using it, to conserve the battery.

Don't know how long it will last (It's got a year's guarantee they said) but it didn't cost much and provides info I was lacking/missing. For $15 I'm happy with it so far.
That is a GREAT idea! Not sure how water-proof it is, but as it is made for terrariums it should be able to handle some humidity. Thanks a lot for the suggestion! :thumbsup:



peterbaron_imp said:
ymtnpoah11_imp said:
Strange... Doesn't the world's majority use C? I would think it would be an easy find among bicycling accessories.
This is the only *C analog I found..... but if you read more, it says 58mm dia, battery powered, then further down it says Product accessories: The product comes with a 31mm diameter...no battery required :s

https://www.amazon.ca/Drink-Thermometer-...110&sr=8-8

Bioman, is that what you want???

Not really. I am afraid that this thing will get too hot when it is out in the sun and thus will show its own body temperature instead of the air temperature. I was therefore looking for a thermometer with an external probe that I can place in a covered part of the bike.
 
Honda sells one. It ranges in price from $28,000 to $30,000. Comes with a Goldwing.
8e5b443f68c917533536022138aa6fce.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
mtneers_imp said:
Honda sells one. It ranges in price from $28,000 to $30,000. Comes with a Goldwing.
8e5b443f68c917533536022138aa6fce.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the thermometer of my vultus is some cheaper.....

so I always know why I'm cold or sweating.................I freeze a lot less on the other bikes or it was just wonderfully sunny and warm...
 
Tev62_imp said:
Oxford Products do a little clock with an ambient temperature gauge and ice warning.

Oxford DigiClock
This one does look good as well - and for a reasonable price. But again: I think its housing will get too hot when exposed to full sun, and will then give inflated temperatures.
1985CB450_imp said:
I’ve got one on my FLHX courtesy of H-D, can’t say I’ve looked at it much tho
I agree that it is kind of useless information: it is cold and you know it, or it is hot and you will find out while driving that you are overdressed. No need for a thermometer to tell you.
Then again, I do look at it (on my other bike) much more than I thought and I also like to report back to my family & friends on how warm (or cold) it was today in place X or Y.
 
I wanted to know the temp while riding and got a meat thermometer, analog, with 3/4 or 1 in. dial, and zip tied it to the throttle links at the handlebar. Worked great. I wear bifocal photochrome, transitional, lenses pretty much all the time now and they help see the dash.
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
I wanted to know the temp while riding and got a meat thermometer, analog, with 3/4 or 1 in. dial, and zip tied it to the throttle links at the handlebar. Worked great. I wear bifocal photochrome, transitional, lenses pretty much all the time now and they help see the dash.
Resourceful Charlie. :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top