The world will never be the same

Tim_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Had the opportunity yesterday to stop by the dealer and they finally had a 2018 CB1100 on the floor to look at. What a disappointment! When will manufacturing learn that people are getting tired of everything getting cheaper and cheaper except the price. The plastic used on the turn signals was beyond pitiful. It felt like it was maybe half the thickness and as would follow the strength of what I have on my 2014. The exhaust was even worse, metal looks thinner, just not up to what I anyway, have come to expect and respect from a brand like Honda.

Tires were so so, Dunlop's, but certainly not what one would think would come on a $13,000 bike. The tank, while I do not know the specs on it, looks like its about 1/2 gal. smaller than on my 2014. That may not be the case, but it looks it. Most the metal on it was aluminum from how it looked. Which isn't a bad thing, it just didn't jump out as a beautiful made to last bike.

The quality of workmanship was good. Paint looked well done. I did really like the new headlight Honda went with on these, well I did until I asked the parts Department the price. Once I stopped laughing at the $945.00 price tag (and no it is not even glass) I had to take a step back and think how lucky I am to have my 2014. I will never part with it. While things even on it, arnt build like the old CB750's were, I am more than certain it will be here long after these newer ones are gone.

When I was younger, I never really understood what people meant when they said "you get what you pay for" this is one example that there is nothing made the way it used to be, and while that isn't bad for some things, I cant accept it in my toys. I always hope the world might stop and look back at things, and maybe take the time to learn from the past, but with every day that passes my faith in things feels harder to sustain.

I hope someone at Honda will wake up, before they end up the Wally World of Motorcycles. I would love for other people here to voice in with your opinion's, its always nice to know what other people think. Besides I always seem to learn something new from it.
 
Thread starter
I wish I could tell you, the dealers here behind the Zion curtain didn't stock any last year that I managed to get a eye on. But I bet someone here can tell you. It does have Spoke Wheels, they changed the seat, the tank, the headlight, and the horns. I don't know about engine specs or changes. Oh and they changed the Air inlets for the filter.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Is the 2018 very much like the USA 2017 ? , I love my 2017 but my most favorite is my 2014 DLX.
The 2014 Deluxe is the best looking of all the CB1100 models.

I like the retro looks of the spokes on my 2017 EX but they are a PITB to clean. It is also much harder to find replacement tubed tires in North America for the EX.

The air and oil cooled inline 4 cylinder motor of the CB1100 is it's unique feature. The all aluminum one in the 2014 Deluxe really displays it well. The blackened parts of the 2017 EX takes away from the motors good looks.
 
Tim_imp said:
Had the opportunity yesterday to stop by the dealer and they finally had a 2018 CB1100 on the floor to look at. What a disappointment! When will manufacturing learn that people are getting tired of everything getting cheaper and cheaper except the price. The plastic used on the turn signals was beyond pitiful. It felt like it was maybe half the thickness and as would follow the strength of what I have on my 2014. The exhaust was even worse, metal looks thinner, just not up to what I anyway, have come to expect and respect from a brand like Honda.

Tires were so so, Dunlop's, but certainly not what one would think would come on a $13,000 bike. The tank, while I do not know the specs on it, looks like its about 1/2 gal. smaller than on my 2014. That may not be the case, but it looks it. Most the metal on it was aluminum from how it looked. Which isn't a bad thing, it just didn't jump out as a beautiful made to last bike.

The quality of workmanship was good. Paint looked well done. I did really like the new headlight Honda went with on these, well I did until I asked the parts Department the price. Once I stopped laughing at the $945.00 price tag (and no it is not even glass) I had to take a step back and think how lucky I am to have my 2014. I will never part with it. While things even on it, arnt build like the old CB750's were, I am more than certain it will be here long after these newer ones are gone.

When I was younger, I never really understood what people meant when they said "you get what you pay for" this is one example that there is nothing made the way it used to be, and while that isn't bad for some things, I cant accept it in my toys. I always hope the world might stop and look back at things, and maybe take the time to learn from the past, but with every day that passes my faith in things feels harder to sustain.

I hope someone at Honda will wake up, before they end up the Wally World of Motorcycles. I would love for other people here to voice in with your opinion's, its always nice to know what other people think. Besides I always seem to learn something new from it.
Did you take a picture?
If so please post.
 
Where is "here beyond the Zion curtain"? Utah?

America never received any 2018 CB1100s, so if you're in Utah you had to be looking at a 2017 model. The tank you saw is 4.44 gallons, so a half gallon larger than your 2014, unless you have a '14 Deluxe, in which case your Deluxe's tank is only 0.16 gallons larger. The turnsignals on the '17 are of a different shape but the plastic is likely of the same thickness as the '14's. Same goes for the thickness of the '14 and '17 exhaust headers. The '17's canister is smaller, is all.

Yes, the '17's headlight cover is plastic, as it is on nearly all LED headlights from every manufacturer, cars or motorcycles. The '17's LED headlight is also much better than the halogen headlight on the '14.

Bottom line, the materials used on the '14 are no better than those used on the '17, or the '18 in other parts of the world. Where there are differences, such as the headlight, or the extra bits of aluminum or stainless steel, the '17's parts are an upgrade.

Edit: I'm at my Honda dealer right now, standing beside an unsold '14 Standard. The headlight lens is plastic, not glass. The plastic on the turnsignals is the same as the '17's. The exhaust headers are smaller than the '17's, since the '17's are double-walled, like the '14 Deluxe's.
 
Thread starter
No I didn't take a photo of it but I will next week when I go in to get some other parts I ordered. As for the plastic I guess we will agree to disagree, the dealer here in Sandy said it was a 2018, so go figure. I didn't get out a set of calipers to measure the thickness on the exhaust, but I can tell you straight up, if you look at the stock exhaust on a 14 vs what ever that was that they said was an 18, the 14 looks much heftier than that was. Tank wise, that's great the tank is that big, it doesn't look like it, so Honda did a good job with the shape I guess. And no the 2014 isn't glass either when it comes to the headlight. The point I was trying to make is that when things were made to last, they used to be. I hope while your at the dealer you check the price out of the 2017/18/? headlamp. It is beyond the limits of reasonable. The bike I looked at also had no had grabs for the passenger by the seat either. They also had done something different with the center stand, the portion you step on to get the bike up sticks out much more than the earlier CB1100"s. I appreciate your observations, just goes to show everyone sees things different than the other guy. For me, I will keep my 2014. The what ever it was is all yours.
And yes UTAH, I missed your comment on that.
 
If it was new and it was red, it was a '17 EX. If it was black, it was a '14 Standard.

The '17 does have a grab rail. In fact, it even extends behind the seat. The '14's doesn't do that...

34a312463f89dd5161d337fc276f269b.jpg


6a24e0159bed128e9deb1333555cb87d.jpg


The exhaust canisters on the '14 are definitely larger than those on the '17, but I can't see how that's a good thing for the '14...

f691556e58df0bb31a4a776683ff9380.jpg


1dc364e57d125d707e78c57c4da6975e.jpg


The '17's pipes are not only smaller and lighter than the dual pipes on the '14 Deluxe, they also make more power and sound better. The '14 Standard only has one pipe, so the exhaust system is lighter overall, but that one pipe is significantly larger than either of the pipes on the '17.
 
The world is indeed not the same, when people will have you believe there is no grab rail on a bike, when there obviously is, and then suggest everyone is entitled to their opinion about it.
 
Thread starter
Well baxtercat, I will snap a photo of it next week like i said. The dealer may have done something to it, added ect. Sorry if you get upset that I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion about things, you certainly seem rather opinionated for someone who doesn't like the fact that someone else can except others thoughts, sorry you don't seem to be able to. But thanks for the input. Regardless of your views on it I appreciate the fact you took the time to voice your thoughts.
 
Look forward to the photo, Tim. It’s pretty likely, though, that the dealer/salesperson did not know what they were talking about when they said it was a 2018 model. As far as we know through posts on this forum, there is no new model for 2018 being sent to the US. I may be wrong, but I suspect the only difference in the 2018 bikes being sent to Europe is the colour.

As for the headlight, reference to Partsfish shows that the 2014 headlight assembly is $181.25 compared to $782.03 for the 2017 bike. The difference is that the 2017 model has an LED headlight which are generally more expensive due to the technology and the claimed longevity. They are also becoming the norm and are claimed by many to be better than globed headlights.

Your views on the CB are welcome here, as are those of others. Perhaps you should do a search of the forum for other discussions about the 2017 CB1100 EX. It has provoked many opinions with the tank being one of the more discussed items.

I own a 2011 model which is pretty much the same as the 2014 and I’ve had a pretty good look at the EX and the RS when I was overseas last year. For my part, I thought the quality seemed comparable with the earlier models. I also like the dual exhaust, the shorter mufflers and the fact that the headers will not discolour in the way the pre 2017 standard models will. Unlike most forum members, though, ima crept the discolouration as an unfortunate design feature and live with it. No Optiglanz for me.
 
Not sure why the price of the headlight really matters, seems like one of the last places on the bike to hit the asphalt in a wreck. Odds are if the headlight is damaged the rest of the bike is in a whole lot worse shape.
 
I assume Tim was trying to make a point about increased cost for either only a slightly improved product or even one of a slightly lesser quality. On it’s face it seems a reasonable example, although I suspect the changed technology weakens the example. It is not, as they say, comparing apples with apples.
 
Lightweight plastics vs glass, aluminum vs stamped steel, EFI vs carburetors, ECUs that rival NORAD's computing ability in the 1970s, etc., they're all part and parcel of the demonizing of the modern motorcycle by those who persist in waving their fist at the clouds.

It's just the way it is.

I just want to make sure that the info being bandied about with these "get off my lawn!" posts is at least correct.
 
Well, I for one prefer my bikes to be made of metal. That's partly why I went with a Harley in '03, everything is metal whereas the imports at the time had all kinds of crappy plastic. I'm not waving my fist at the clouds or demonizing anything, if you like bikes with plastic then have at.

Same with handguns, I love 1911s (I have 3) but hate those polymer striker fired pistols. Call me old fashioned I guess
 
Thread starter
I honestly appreciate everyone adding to what is obviously my own feelings about what I had looked at. I mentioned the headlight because I really liked how it looked plus the fact it was LED. If the price was more reasonable I would certainly consider it as a great upgrade to my existing 2014.

I am I guess I have to admit, despite not wanting to acknowledge how old I'm getting, what all the young wiper snappers out there would call old school. I grew up when things were made to last almost forever. Part of that was because they were made of strong natural materials, like steel, and glass. As our world has evolved, new, innovative materials have come to the forefront of manufacturing. Most great products, but some simply used to cut costs and increase profits. I have worked with most of the highest Tec of these through out my life.

The biggest reason from what I have read out there that people are drawn to the CB 1100, regardless of year or model, is that it brings back a very nostalgic era of motorcycle development. For me that was very important from my own experience's riding and owning almost bullet proof bikes. I didn't make my comments to anger or put down anyone's own feelings about their bikes. Its simply a way for my own disappointment to possibly find new ideas and change my own feeling based on things others know that I may not. Question everything and you just might learn something new.
 
The thing is, despite your romanticized notions of days gone by, this new CB1100 will undoubtedly prove to be more durable and reliable than any of the bikes you remember so fondly from the halcyon '60s and '70s.

Simply put, the current bike is even better built now than it was then. It will do everything better, longer, and more reliably.
 
A friend in MI just upgraded his 2006 Sporterster to a Daymaker.

There are many, many knock-offs, which may be as good or close-there-to, but I have seen no reviews for any better.

Check out the price and realize that the replacement part from Honda likely included the bucket.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/daymaker-led-headlamp-pa-11-67700145--1

I seldom ride at night, so an LED for me would be only for longivity and maybe for reduced stator load.

Friend (Vrod) and I stopped at the H-D dealer in Washington, UT, Monday morning. I do like Sportsters, or at least the last years of the rigid mount motors (2003), and H-D has better build quality than credit is generally given, but the CB1100 is a higher plateau.

Mine got its first car" wash today at 7,330 miles.
Parked under bush at son's new (to him) place and collected droppings off the bush.
VLJ_imp said:
The thing is, despite your romanticized notions of days gone by, this new CB1100 will undoubtedly prove to be more durable and reliable than any of the bikes you remember so fondly from the halcyon '60s and '70s.

Simply put, the current bike is even better built now than it was then. It will do everything better, longer, and more reliably.
I think that is aptly stated.
Although my 1976 CB750F was good for 122 MPH.
Note: Points are easy to maintain, easy to adjust on the road, but the dual points on my 76 would not stay adjusted; so I replaced them with a Martek 440 electronic unit. Durable even after we parted company at ~38,000 miles in 1981.
 
Back
Top