The Sublime Perfection of Riding 40-45 mph / 64-72 kph

Stichill

Road warrior
Thread starter
Traffic was really light everywhere I went on this evening's ride, affording me the opportunity to dial back the speed a bit to run 40-45 mph / 64-72 kph without the bother of tailgaters.

The character of the ride changed from being swiftly conveyed past the scenery, to being transported through the scenery. It was quieter, more immersive. There's more time for the senses to perceive and for the brain to appreciate.

I thought maybe going slower would be even better. Nope. At 35 mph / 56 kph, the scene drags and there's insufficient progress for the mind to be fully entertained.

It's definitely something I will be doing more of as the opportunities present themselves.

f26e98435e7717c7363742d5041f8019.jpg
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Similarly, the landscape - even dreaded urban wasteland - looks so much better from a scooter's point-of-view.
I think prowling the urban jungle on a scooter sounds pretty interesting. There's a lot of history in the brownfield sites of old factories, railroads, company headquarters, etc.
 
Stichill_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Similarly, the landscape - even dreaded urban wasteland - looks so much better from a scooter's point-of-view.
I think prowling the urban jungle on a scooter sounds pretty interesting. There's a lot of history in the brownfield sites of old factories, railroads, company headquarters, etc.
I think prowling the urban jungle on a scooter sounds pretty interesting. There's a lot of history in the brownfield sites of old factories, railroads, company headquarters, etc.
I would be in agreement with you. A hop 'n' go 153 cc Honda PCX, capable of up to 112 km/h (sustained), 1.9L/100 km in the city (2.4L/100 regional roads), quiet, extremely small carbon footprint, built-in storage, even including a helmet, ultra tight turning radius, plush suspension, some meaningful protection from the elements, super low insurance, ... what's not to like?

I suppose if one dislikes the wind-up behaviour of a CVT, then it can be annoying for a motorcyclist. However, once "wound up enough" (sorta like at 3rd gear), they are a blast.

But slow they can do real well.
 
I agree Stichill, although 50 mph (80 kph) is my upper limit. A lovely speed for moseying.
 
Completely different bike obviously but I read this all the time about the RE Himalayan. Owners who embrace the ‘performance’ for what it is all say the same thing, going more slowly is actually rather pleasant.
 
40 to 50 mph on a country backroad is a pure delight. Having the NC750X, I've rediscovered the joy of a light motorcycle with just enough power. That 250 is a beaut Sitchill.
 
This post made me smile.
In this province we have plenty of winding coastal roads that are not busy and perfect for this style of cruising. You can't beat it for just having a relaxing ride. If anyone catches up, I give them plenty of space and wave them by.
I frequently go out early in the morning and almost have the roads to myself once I'm free of the city. Somewhere along the way I'll often stop for breakfast - although this past year I have breakfast at home so I don't have to stop (except maybe for gas) or deal with people.
 
Riding at that speed you can see some of your surroundings and in the beautiful mountains will give you peace of mind. For me the best thing on the BRP is the fresh air.
 
I too choose to mostly ride at those speeds. You can smell the newly cut grass, the wisteria , honeysuckle vines , being retired gives you the choices to schedule your departure times and return times based on the least amount of traffic.
 
A lazy 40-50 miles per hour isn't an option for most of my commuting or pleasure riding, unless that's the prevailing speed of traffic, and I don't feel the urge to go around what's in front of me.

But, the idea of a scooter has been creeping into my mind. We have an office designed for about 25 people, but with all of the adaptations due to Covid, most people are working from home on a permanent basis. We've determined that there are only three of us who really need to be in a building, and all of us live close to each other. The boss has asked me to start looking for a smaller shop space, and the natural choice would be something in our neighborhood.

I haven't even started looking at properties, but I am already starting to look at a small scooter for what would be a three or four mile, 40 mile per hour commute. Putting the cart before the horse, so to speak...
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
A lazy 40-50 miles per hour isn't an option for most of my commuting or pleasure riding, unless that's the prevailing speed of traffic, and I don't feel the urge to go around what's in front of me.

But, the idea of a scooter has been creeping into my mind. We have an office designed for about 25 people, but with all of the adaptations due to Covid, most people are working from home on a permanent basis. We've determined that there are only three of us who really need to be in a building, and all of us live close to each other. The boss has asked me to start looking for a smaller shop space, and the natural choice would be something in our neighborhood.

I haven't even started looking at properties, but I am already starting to look at a small scooter for what would be a three or four mile, 40 mile per hour commute. Putting the cart before the horse, so to speak...
I can imagine!

Gone in 60_imp said:
A lazy 40-50 miles per hour isn't an option for most of my commuting or pleasure riding, unless that's the prevailing speed of traffic, and I don't feel the urge to go around what's in front of me.

But, the idea of a scooter has been creeping into my mind. We have an office designed for about 25 people, but with all of the adaptations due to Covid, most people are working from home on a permanent basis. We've determined that there are only three of us who really need to be in a building, and all of us live close to each other. The boss has asked me to start looking for a smaller shop space, and the natural choice would be something in our neighborhood.

I haven't even started looking at properties, but I am already starting to look at a small scooter for what would be a three or four mile, 40 mile per hour commute. Putting the cart before the horse, so to speak...
Nothing wrong with building a moto-friendly business ecosystem!
 
Nice Stichill!

I normally ride a little faster than that, in the 45-60 mph zone, but my roads are made for riding at those speeds, but I can appreciate a leisurely ride in the country. The CB is ideal for those kind of rides.
 
What a lovely bike.
 
Back
Top