The story of the frog in cooking water, and where a CB should never go

j3gq_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Rode out of town, and after 30 minutes or so I turned onto a tiny little winding road which I had had never noticed before, into the local mountains. It goes up through a village or two, nice and gentle, all paved and about 8 foot wide. Keeps climbing, sometimes at a very high rate with steep turns, but it is really fun, and the views are stunning. Into the forest, out of the forest, along a few more houses. I get the hang of it and it feels all natural. The quality of the road and its shoulders is impeccable - so I keep going. I am the frog in the proverbial glass with water which slowly heats up. I just don't know it yet.

My speed is mostly a gentle 25-35 mph, the bends don't allow for much more, when I pass a sign pointing to "next village in 5 km". Everything looks perfectly tame and normal. The water in the glass has just gotten a little warmer, but no, the frog ain't feeling it as the change is sooooo slow. Into the next forest, it gets a little darker and I don't feel compelled (yet) to stop and take my sunglasses off. More bends, more trees, and now I am going slightly downhill. Just a little, no big deal. The pavement narrows a little, but hey, no traffic at all for the last 10 minutes. The water is warming further.

The downward slope increases - just a little more. The quality of the pavement and shoulders still fine. A few more bends, a little more slope. All of a sudden the right shoulder disappears and I look into a steep canon to my right with trees as tall as houses. Comes my last happy slow turn, and before I blink the pavement under my wheels has vanished, but I do not see it. There is no change in the road's color or contrast. Now I am on a narrowing dirt road, with a downward leaning angle of more than 10% (best guess). I feel the front wheel starts sliding from under me. The water temperature is now close to where frogs can't last, and the CB feels heavy like never before.

Before I have time to think about what's going on, I catch the motorcycle going side-wards, I try to brake, wheels block, ABS doesn't kick in, I slide badly. But I am still sitting on top. I am roling downwards - much too fast for my taste - with no idea what to do. There are deep groves in the road which seem to catch my front wheel, make it go side-wards at times, and make it impossible to keep upright. I can barely keep the handle bar straight. Grooves keep jerking it left and right with a lot of pressure. But I have no choice. Down I go and temperatures go up. My heart pumps like mad, I anticipate a really bad fall with the m/c on top of the frog - sliding down, imagine, or me leaving the road and hitting a tree. Seconds pass, they feel like hours. By now I am really scared. Any attempt to use the brakes makes matters worse. The street does not seem to end.

Finally I come to a stop, don't ask me how - didn't fall, oh wonder. Darn it, I didn't see this coming at all - until it was way too late. The perfect size of the little stones under my wheels (big or sand would have had me stop short), the increasing downward slope, the grooves in the road washed in by late rain. The frog has been lucky, he is climbing to the edge of the glass, almost burning.

Now I use the rear brake to let the cycle down at a snail's pace. There is no way to turn around, there is nobody to help. Just letting her role is not an option, and my shoulder muscles and wrists start hurting badly. This m/c weighs 500 pounds, and they are pulling forward. This goes on for - my best guess - 20 minutes and 1 mile or so. Finally the road widens a bit in a turn, I turn the m/c around - don't ask me how - thinking that "going up" feels much better than "going down" at this point. Another 20 minutes and I am back on the paved road. I get off, take my helmet off, my gloves, my jacket. On a Africa Twin, this may have been a piece of cake. I can't say. May be, may be not. A less lucky rider ? A tire punctured in the middle.

And I feel very lucky, and like that proverbial frog.
 
You made it home to write it all up and that's all that's important.

BTW I heard frogs can be delicious - never tried one myself though

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Thread starter
tod.branko_imp said:
You made it home to write it all up and that's all that's important.

BTW I heard frogs can be delicious - never tried one myself though

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
:banana:
 
Wow! Quite the story...I've gotten myself into a bit of down-hill trouble on dirt/rock roads before, but I've always been on my KLR650 or my small CGL125. Spilled a few on the KLR650 but that bike seems to enjoy it. Can't imagine that feeling on a CB1100...glad you were able to right the ship!
 
Great read. Sounds like you didn't panic as much as I would have lol.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Great read. Sounds like you didn't panic as much as I would have lol.
and I was upset because I had to ride for at 25MPH for a on hour or so on fresh gravel and oil recently. It was annoying but all i had to do was clean the bike after.
 
Africa Twin would be too tall for that hair raising event. And too top heavy. In that regard you were lucky to be on the CB. In cases like that I much prefer going up to going down. :)

Glad you had a happy ending!
 
Tom_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Great read. Sounds like you didn't panic as much as I would have lol.
and I was upset because I had to ride for at 25MPH for a on hour or so on fresh gravel and oil recently. It was annoying but all i had to do was clean the bike after.
and I was upset because I had to ride for at 25MPH for a on hour or so on fresh gravel and oil recently. It was annoying but all i had to do was clean the bike after.
The worst part of that is hearing the "tinks" of little rocks hitting your pipes
 
Very well told indeed, j3gq. My heart was in my mouth. I'm glad you got through unscathed.
 
Quite a story! I'm glad you lived to tell the tale.
Maybe Cormanus will share a similar yarn from our adventure in OZ. I don't think pterodactyl will mind... Statute of Limitations and all that :beerchug:
 
You are an excellent storyteller! I was on the edge of my seat the from the very beginning! Sounds like you stared into the abyss and said to it, "Not today!" :thumbsup:
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Quite a story! I'm glad you lived to tell the tale.
Maybe Cormanus will share a similar yarn from our adventure in OZ. I don't think pterodactyl will mind... Statute of Limitations and all that :beerchug:
That story is here: http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10537&pid=168472#pid168472

Perhaps more relevantly this story http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=9480&pid=149462#pid149462 in which I use the same frog metaphor as j3gq for a similar situation. My tale was not so brilliantly told.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Quite a story! I'm glad you lived to tell the tale.
Maybe Cormanus will share a similar yarn from our adventure in OZ. I don't think pterodactyl will mind... Statute of Limitations and all that :beerchug:
That story is here: http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10537&pid=168472#pid168472

Perhaps more relevantly this story http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=9480&pid=149462#pid149462 in which I use the same frog metaphor as j3gq for a similar situation. My tale was not so brilliantly told.
Thank you'll for the flowers and kind words. :blush:
Rboe_imp said:
Africa Twin would be too tall for that hair raising event. And too top heavy. In that regard you were lucky to be on the CB. In cases like that I much prefer going up to going down. :)

Glad you had a happy ending!
I don't know or ride on Africa Twins or the like. Last time I rode an Enduro must have been in 1980 and a Yamaha single/two-stroke 400. But that is sooo long ago.
Would have never guessed that there could be a dirt road experience where my CB might take a lead over a solid Enduro. Interesting opinion.
 
Great story j3gq! I've run into similar albeit not quite as hair raising experiences. You find yourself sure you are going down and then amazed you make it though unscathed. I'm glad you did!
 
Back
Top