The SMART KEY

max

Road warrior
Thread starter
Yesterday was a nice sunny day for a ride and so i went to the local motorcycle hotspot, admired a new svartpilen 701 which looked very smart in it's new color scheme in the showroom whilst warming up in the sunlight with very little wind.


On the return trip i saw a new rocket 3 triumph and because it's a rear sight pulled up to the guy in the parking space to have a better look at it and have a chat; "mate you are so lucky to have one of those, the shop sold all of them" on which he replied " yeahh and it would be nice if it would start too ".
Turned out the bike had a " smart key" and whatever buttons he pushed the bike ignored him and played dead.
"That's the third time this happened" he said, "what happened the last time?" "it came right by itself" was the reply, so he decided to go for a walk and come back later and see if his luck had changed, he was otherwise praising the bike and offered " have a seat and see how light it feels",
I did and it did feel easy to lift off the sidestand so pleasant surprise there.


By the way the owner's manual is only 178 easy pages, we thought of everything..:rofl:
So let's hear it for the smart key who thinks the owner is trying to steal his own bike, cool eh?
 
Now days, motorcycles are getting yesterday car's technology...it's getting more and more complicated to fix it, and some riders will hate it.
Nice find Max.
:beerchug:
 
I see bikes like that and I get all "That would be so cool! I want to ride that!" But then I try to think of anything I could do on it that I couldn't do on the CB and I talk myself down pretty quick.
Come to think of it, it's sort of the same deal with my marriage :angel:
 
I am considering a Triumph Scrambler 1200. It sports a great engine and comfy riding position for the tall. I hate the all digital gauge and smart key though. The CB1100 has great instruments and a "smart" and simple ignition.
 
As far as the all digital gauges are concerned, you are not alone, I hate them even more, including SMK.
Glad to have the CB1100 that is simple and handsome looking bike + more
 
Thread starter
You'll love this part i found in the r3 manual;



Yeahh i'm all for that, switch on...switch off....spare key battery under the seat and tools to open it up, low easy maintenance, beats a silly old key:rofl::rofl:

Should have taken a picture of the befuddled owner next to the rocket 3 but i "forgot"

Here is a video of two guys in a car hacking key fobs with a laptop and some radio gear that "sniffs" and then spoofs the key transmitter faster than you can put a key in your pocket;

Great fun for all.
 
One of my favorite pics

38ab22d3e4945f258fcd98a9f25bd95e.jpg


I took my good friend (and family doctor) over to Marietta, Ohio to ride some SE Ohio great roads. Here he is trying to figure out WHY his new BMW RT wouldn't start. Ends up we had just stopped to take off rain gear and he left his smart key in the pocket of the rain suit and stuffed it in his saddlebag and the bike could no longer read it. But there was 5 minutes of attempts and warning bells and buzzers going on before he figured it out. lol. Was fun to watch.
 
Oh well, we know this story with your BMW doctor....:)
This is why it is called a SMK/smart key, for smart people..:D:P
:beerchug:
 
:rofl:....I'm thinking being in a wooden box and 3 feet bellow the ground first, before everything goes digital and super smart. I am e :banana: ing my CB1100 while it lasts.
 
Perhaps a Forum member can make you a nice wooden box with the Honda logo on the lid , like the one we saw for the shims. Just send your measurements to him and he can make a head start for when you need it.
 
I'm not a fan of "Smart" alarms and ignitions that rely on a battery in a key or fob, or tire pressure monitors inside wheels, since they give no warning of imminent failure.

However, I understand the next generation of CB1100 will have "virtual" RLETs that are switched on when lean angle is less than 45 degrees.
 
Virtual RLETS? Hummm, a disturbance in the Force I sense.
 
You should be very wary, my Lord. Methinks ‘virtual’ RLETs may a contrivance of the dark side be.
 
Back
Top