The right size saddlebags

Thread starter
Yes Enzo...only things I have changed are grips, little rubber covers on end of levers, aluminum valve covers on wheels, and added a battery tender jr pigtail.
 
Thread starter
Yes they do. I knew Japan got a different end cap. Didn't know anyone else did. Wonder if there is any sound difference? Or why the difference?
 
Polution mod. and it's very quiet.
It does have a vacume modification underneath I will get a photo of it.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Yes they do. I knew Japan got a different end cap. Didn't know anyone else did. Wonder if there is any sound difference? Or why the difference?
There are 2 types of CB 1100: One with ABS and one without. But there are also two minor differences in these models too. The so called "U" model and the "non-U" model. The "U"-model comes with an exhaust flap at the end cap which is controlled by an inlet control valve membrane on the right side of the CB 1100 (under the side cover).
The flap is mainly for sound reasons.
 
Ferret do you use these saddle bags on your deluxe? Also have tried strapping under the seat ? I guess a tail bag can still fit on top of those straps if you can get your bunggie cord hooks on
 
Cool! Did you add brackets underneath them to keep them straight? Those look cool but I was wondering if they hit the exhaust pipe when you mounted the strap under the rear seat. Did that cause a problem?

I ordered the turn signal kit from Honda and moved my turn signals to the rear fender in prep for a set of saddle bags. Now, I am trying to determine if a rear carrier or good saddle bags would work for longer trips. the local cycle gear show has a "universal" bracket to support the bags but it looks really cheap. Webike in Japan has a better looking bracket but if I buy a good carrier, I can probably carry everything I need in a single rear bag.

Thanks,
gsisk


thanks!
 
Thread starter
These were mounted over the seat, not under, and a tail pack on top of that.

If you have relocated your turn signals to the rear, you could certainly use larger bags. These are relatively small and made to go in front of the existing turn signals.

No supports were needed
 
I also have a set of Cortechs that I can mount pretty much just like you did Ferret. I really never use them as I just use a tail pack ,also mounted like yours,--and now a top box also on the rack.

The Cortechs are not expensive.
 
So judging from the pic on the previous page, those bags don't require says, correct? My wife got me those very bags for Christmas. I think she is trying to send me packing.
 
Thread starter
DAC no stays required. You will need them for the rally. Be sure to thank your wife.
 
Thread starter
Nothing actually keeps them off the shock, but they don't crab into the tire.. I don't think even the metal guards would keep them off the shock just off the tire.

I do the credit card and room deal. Don't care to sleep on the ground much anymore. Its not the ground, its getting up and down off the ground especially in the middle of the night if you get my drift.
 
Thanks for the help, Mr. Ferret! Yeah, the wife is quite the keeper. I now have the set up , more or less, that you have with the cortech tailbag and a tank bag. Now I just gotta get my packing list set up.
 
Thread starter
I can help with the list if you want. I keep packing lists for different length rides. let me know
 
Thread starter
Eric..Here is a master list, one I used for my Cali trip which was 11 days and 5500 miles. Subtract items not needed for smaller trips

PACKING LIST FOR CALI TRIP

Left Handlebar
Tom Tom GPS

FAIRING LEFT POCKET
Various small multi-tools/adjustable wrench/air gauge/rag/rubber gloves/emergency flasher
3 oz of motor oil in bottle rolled up in a rag
Small flashlight
Tri pod light

FAIRING RIGHT POCKET
2 microfiber cloths
Spray bottle of water for face shield
Spare ignition key taped inside

TANK BAG
Sunglasses (in hard case)
First Aid kit
Chapstick
Bottle of water
Bottle of Aleve
GPS cover
Power cord for GPS
Side stand plate w/string (left pocket)
Mini camera tripod
Trip Log book
Tea bags
Water enhancer
Splenda packs
Spare 8 gig SD card

SEAT BAG (held on with Rok straps)
Heavy gloves (leather gauntlet)
Heavy sweatshirt
Heavy sweatpants
Medium balaclava
1 Silvermax long sleeve shirt
Knit hat
Electric jacket liner

RIGHT SADDLEBAG (IN CLOTH BAG)
Lightweight sleep wear (in plastic bag)
Swimsuit (in plastic bag)
1 pr jeans
2 C9 shorts (in plastic bag)
2 C9 short sleeve shirts ( in plastic bag)
1 turtle neck long sleeve shirt (in plastic bag)
5 pr socks (in plastic bag)
Spare prescription glasses in hard case
Medicine bag with BP/Chol/asst OTC meds,
Tooth paste, tooth brush, shaver, razor
Phone charger
Camera charger
Intercom charger


LEFT SADDLEBAG (IN CLOTH BAG)
Jeans
Gym shoes
Vented Tourmaster jacket



TRUNK
Rain suit (in mesh bag on top held on by rok straps)
Paper Maps
Spare bungie straps
Mesh bag
Towel for drying seat in morning
First aid kit
Motorcycle jumper cables
Ball cap
Vented lightweight gloves
Ramp for getting bike on center stand with flat
List of all Honda dealers
Ran list from ST forum by state (members that can help)
Cable/ lock for bike and tail bag
Can of Plexus for windshield


UNDER SEAT
Spare key to helmet lock & trunk
Tire repair kit

WEAR
Modular helmet/tinted shield/ with intercom
Prescription glasses
Non Vented Tourmaster Jacket
Hi Viz riding vest
Medium weight gloves (deerskin)
Fieldsheer riding pants
C9 shirt
C-9 shorts
Socks
Alpinestars touring boots
Camera on lanyard
Wallet with:
Drivers License
AAA card
HSA & UHC cards
2 credit cards
$ 500 cash
Insurance and registration info
Emergency contact and allergy info
Pic of family
I think it's important for all clothing to do double duty, and layering is important as well. The C9 shirt and C9 shorts can be worn as a base layer... alone if it's hot, or under the sweat pants and sweat shirt if it's cold and all under the field sheer riding pants and Tourmaster jacket. I always pack a long sleeve turtleneck and a balaclava if temps are expected below 50 degrees (btw when washed in the sink and blotted in a towel the C9 gear is usually dry by morning so you only have to pack a couple pairs and they roll up really small..3 pairs for 11 days on the Cali trip.. I also use socks that can be washed in the sink and hung to dry overnight 5 pairs for 11 days and could have carried less). Always carry either heavy and med gloves, or med and light gloves depending on temps expected or to let one dry out if it gets wet from a rain. Jeans can also be worn under the fieldsheer riding pants, and the jeans, long sleeve turtleneck, gym shoes, sweatshirt and ball cap make a good combo for being off the bike and going out to dinner or whatever.

I pack all my clothes rolled really tightly in labeled zip lock bags. And all my meds/toiletries are in a zip lock bag. My electronics chargers are in 1 plastic bag. When using soft luggage I line the saddlebags and trunk with a garbage bag to keep rain out and I don't worry about the rain covers that come with the soft luggage. The only rain cover that concerns me is the one for the tank bag. That one I use. I keep a small bottle of Aleve or Ibuprophin in my tank bag. Usually I don't use the GPS but rely on AAA paper maps instead.

I usually stay at motels that provide a continental breakfast, and try and get one with a pool or jacuzzi. I am usually on the road early and get off the road early (before 5 pm). Around 9-10 hours in the saddle is plenty for me these days. :biker:
 
Back
Top