Naked or skimpily clad ?

A tale of two CB1100's for me here.

The first #96 "salacious" did not have a wind shield and although getting one was thought about after seeing what some of you had fitted on the other side of the pond (pacific ocean) in the northern hemisphere. I liked the look and function but the need was not evident for me.

The second #49 had a small windshield on it when I bought it in early 2016, I am not sure of the brand it is made in the USA and has KBA 38470 etched in the screen. It is easily removed and when the weather looks crook or going for a longer ride I tend to install it.

My preference is to ride without the screen, however without it if I'm on the road for a day I just end up more fatigued, so whats my point perhaps if the bike did not have it when I bought it I doubt I would have a screen. Clear as mud..

PS. Australia is 1.2% larger than the United States contiguous 48 and I have not ridden enough of it yet but am glad that we got to show Bob some of it last month.

Take care, regards.
 
I chose "skimpily clad" today. These little shields keep the wind off my chest and aren't overly obtrusive.

7aea6ae3a55051c8260adb184f3186c1.jpg


It felt great as I wimped my way down the freeway at 75 mph. :D
 
I'm staying naked also, the bike that is...... I was wondering if you guys with shields on your bikes, does it have any ill effects on handling, or wind grabbing hold of you? On my old CB 550 I had many moons ago, I put a windshield on it. Made the bike ride and handle terrible. At highway speeds the front tire would bounce like it was very out of balance, and in a stiff crosswind it was downright scary. I removed it after about 3 weeks and decided I would be my own windshield from then on.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
I chose "skimpily clad" today. These little shields keep the wind off my chest and aren't overly obtrusive.

7aea6ae3a55051c8260adb184f3186c1.jpg


It felt great as I wimped my way down the freeway at 75 mph. :D
What shield are you using? Is it enough to keep your head from getting buffeted or just your chest? It seems my neck would be worn out on a long ride if it was just chest protection (not to mention the wind howling into my full face helmet).

I've read several of the older shield posts but still like to pic the brain of those showing what they have and how it might work for my 5'9", 210 lb, 30" inseam frame.
 
The shields in the pic are Nat. Cycle Deflector DX models. The wind blast starts at the lower edge of my full face helmet (I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam), so 95% of the helmet is in clean air. It's not uncomfortable (for me) to have the helmet in the breeze on local rides of 300-400 miles.

For long road trips, the CB11 wears its winter shield, which is a larger Nat. Cycle Plexistar 2. With that shield, the wind blast starts at the very top of the helmet, so most of the head is in the protected area behind the shield. It also extends out to cover the grips. Very comfy on long hauls.

I think the key is to get something that will not direct the wind blast directly to the middle of the helmet, around the faceshield. That's what causes most of the noise and buffeting issues.

Here's a pic of the Plexistar 2 :

d51899e40c4f154f091588c29984fb42.jpeg
 
Flynrider_imp said:
The shields in the pic are Nat. Cycle Deflector DX models. The wind blast starts at the lower edge of my full face helmet (I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam), so 95% of the helmet is in clean air. It's not uncomfortable (for me) to have the helmet in the breeze on local rides of 300-400 miles.

For long road trips, the CB11 wears its winter shield, which is a larger Nat. Cycle Plexistar 2. With that shield, the wind blast starts at the very top of the helmet, so most of the head is in the protected area behind the shield. It also extends out to cover the grips. Very comfy on long hauls.

I think the key is to get something that will not direct the wind blast directly to the middle of the helmet, around the faceshield. That's what causes most of the noise and buffeting issues.

Here's a pic of the Plexistar 2 :

d51899e40c4f154f091588c29984fb42.jpeg
Well, I think that answers it for me then. I had a P2 or something similar on my '83 Honda CM450E that you currently use as a winter shield. That one offered quite a bit of protection (which I'm looking for at freeway speeds). I think my confusion comes with what I read a lot of people talking about the 'fresh air' above the screen that hits the helmet area. I have the RC2 from Samurider on the bike right now, which looks pretty sharp but I'm uncertain on what value it has for me at freeway speeds. I haven't put enough miles on the bike to make a clear determination yet. So, in the meantime, I am exploring other options.

I guess I never thought of owning more than one screen. I should have though, with all the modifications I see many of the forum users utilizing here. When I bought my deluxe last month out of Missouri, the previous owner was unable to secure the touring screen option when he bought the RC2. He tried but was unavailable to get one from Mr. T at the time of purchase. I've seen pictures of other forum members with it on but I guess that little curled lip at the top doesn't convince me it would be like the P2 that you use in the winter (obviously, not by the hands - I'm talking torso ans head).

I have never subscribed to any other forums until I signed up for this one and a couple others all at the same time, a few being for camping. This forum is head-and-shoulders above the caliber of some of the others that I chose to follow (and may soon unfollow). I'm spoiled here! You guys are great and keep other forum members in check when they might appear derogatory like was the case a few weeks ago where a series of posts were 'adjusted' (deleted). Thank you FLYNRIDER and others for the continued input and ideas!

Jerry
 
Thread starter
The ultimate solution would be to have a shield like on our Honda ST 1300's or the FJr Yamahas. Motor driven and adjustable over a 7" range, it can go from pretty much clean air to no air. It also teaches you the incredible difficulties of air management. Depending on vehicle speed, ambient temperature, direction of travel, prevailing wind direction, style of helmet etc finding the right height for any given ride is an excercise in experimentation. Sometimes moving the shield up or down just 1/2 inch makes a world of difference, something no " fixed" shield can accomplish. At best ANY fixed shield is just a compromise.
 
The ferret_imp said:
The ultimate solution would be to have a shield like on our Honda ST 1300's or the FJr Yamahas. Motor driven and adjustable over a 7" range, it can go from pretty much clean air to no air. It also teaches you the incredible difficulties of air management. Depending on vehicle speed, ambient temperature, direction of travel, prevailing wind direction, style of helmet etc finding the right height for any given ride is an excercise in experimentation. Sometimes moving the shield up or down just 1/2 inch makes a world of difference, something no " fixed" shield can accomplish. At best ANY fixed shield is just a compromise.
THAT'S what I'm talking about Mickey! There's an answer or educated/experienced speculation to everything about this bike and it's accessories from those who know best - the mileage heavy owners and long time riders.

Shoot, there's even answers to questions I never even thought to ask or consider. I think I'm gonna just keep readin' and keep my mouth shut. Civilized, educated, classy, patient, the list goes on here...
 
Stateboy, I would encourage you to NOT keep your mouth shut :) The only way we learn new things around here is by discussing and exchanging information.

And there has been a LOT of discussion and experimentation with fly screens and wind shields. As Ferret says, a small change can make a big difference and everyone is affected differently.

OTOH, there is only ONE oil to use and everyone agrees it is :)
 
Thread starter
:rofl: Popgun you are soooo bad
 
Yeah I figured that might get things going in a slow period. :P :D
 
Oil? Did you say oil? Which oil should I use (he, he, he)? I know THAT game! I've read those bazillion posts already and am good on my choice. Now, back to the naked and skimpily clad show...
 
stateboy_imp said:
Oil? Did you say oil? Which oil should I use (he, he, he)? I know THAT game! I've read those bazillion posts already and am good on my choice. Now, back to the naked and skimpily clad show...
:rofl: Oil. I don't know why there is so much fighting about it :celebrate:

You mentioned the Road Comet touring screen. When I bought my RC1 I ordered it with a clear screen, tinted screen and a touring screen. Mr. T sent me 2 clear screens, a tinted screen and a touring screen.

I think I got two clears as I guess it comes with one and Mr. T thought I wanted a spare. And I don't use them! I use the smoked.

Although this is not the right place for this, I would be willing to let the touring screen go as I have never used it and do not intend to.

However, I have no idea how much I paid for it as the bill was not itemized.
 
My CB came with a giant windshield and it was immediately removed once it got to my garage. Driving w/out one sucks at high speeds though. I made an investment in my coolness by staying away from the shield, and bought a Shoei GT-Air helmet, and man is that a whole new experience driving at higher speeds. The helmet has pretty much eliminated most of the need for a shield. Granted a shield is cheaper, but cool factor goes way down with a shield on this bike.
 
We have a new word to replace "naked". This paragraph is from a recent Revzilla Common Thread.

The BMW Pure is marketed as being a retro bike. I don’t think of this as a retro at all. In my world, this bike is a straight standard motorcycle. I’m not going to argue with BMW about what the bike is, but I see little of yesteryear in this machine. The styling is so subdued compared with every other retro on the market. And metric standard motorcycles now have more face plastic than Joan Rivers. The Pure deviates from that. It is styled not as a retro so much, but is simply left UNADORNED.
 
Back
Top