THE perfect CB1100 ... in my eyes

usa_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
... is the one shown in the attached picture that I found online. I can't see the exhaust pipe on the other side so I can't tell if it's a DLX.

But the perfect one for me would be a 2014 DLX version of the attached pic.

What's yours ? the new 2017 RS that Honda USA may not import ?

 
I have the '14 standard and I like the black rims, but I would love the silver of the engine as in that photo.
 
The nice thing about the CB is you can totally change the color by replacing just 3 parts, tank and side covers. The Standards and the EX (identical to DLX except for spoked wheels) were made in quite a few colors that varied by country. These parts are interchangeable across all models and Samurider can supply the OEM parts in any color Honda made. You can then sell your old parts to recoup part of the cost. I thought about changing my DLX to black but decided to keep it red.
 
It certainly looks handsome all black, and it makes the all aluminum engine really stand out.
The cast alloy wheels also blend in with the disk brakes.
But as you said, it would have to be the Deluxe style with a 4-into-2 exhaust system with double walled chromed headers.
A lopsided 4-into-1 exhaust system would really spoil the looks of this retro style Honda.

However I could be happy with the red 2017 CB1100 EX model that is going to be available in America.



I would be happier if the engine was all aluminum, and the side panels matched the tank or were painted gloss black.
The spoke wheels certainly look more retro, but are they tubeless? If not I would prefer cast alloy wheels.

Unfortunately it probably won't be available in Canada.
Or they will dump the blah white or lemon yellow model on us.

If it cost US$13,000 in America, to import it would cost me about CDN$20,000 with currency exchange and sales taxes added.
 
usa_imp said:
... is the one shown in the attached picture that I found online. I can't see the exhaust pipe on the other side so I can't tell if it's a DLX.

But the perfect one for me would be a 2014 DLX version of the attached pic.

What's yours ? the new 2017 RS that Honda USA may not import ?
Hm, looks like the one I had:
168264fd8f1d5ff0d8d0b37dc5c7683f.jpg
 
Thread starter
Django_imp said:
usa_imp said:
... is the one shown in the attached picture that I found online. I can't see the exhaust pipe on the other side so I can't tell if it's a DLX.

But the perfect one for me would be a 2014 DLX version of the attached pic.

What's yours ? the new 2017 RS that Honda USA may not import ?
Hm, looks like the one I had:
168264fd8f1d5ff0d8d0b37dc5c7683f.jpg

Django, you have no clue how lucky you are ....
 
The perfect CB1100 is the one I own, a 2013 Standard. Ikon shocks, low CB500F bars and bar-end weight components, stainless steel brake and clutch lines, EBC sintered superbike HH pads. OEM engine guards, that's it.
[attachment=5771]
That tank on the new bike looks swollen and angry, like a boil that oughta be lanced.

The images of it on the other thread made sure to avoid any angle that would reveal this bulbous disproportionality.

There should be a clause in the new EX's contract, as with Claudette Colbert, that it can only be photographed (or video'd) from certain angles. Because she's a "fat lady" and we want a "skinny lady".

OK, what movie is that last line from guys?
 
It wasn't until I read all the comments about the "bump" in the new tank that I looked closely at it and am glad I have what I have.
If it comes to Canada too it will probably be in very short supply like the 13 and 14's were. I hope I get to see one.
Only two 13's came into this province and were immediately taken so I've never even seen a 13.
When the two 14's arrived in April 2014 I happened to be at the dealer just kicking tires for something to do. One had already been spoken for so I had to make a pretty quick decision to grab the other one or I would have missed out again.
I don't like making snap decisions, but this time I'm glad I did.
 
I'm quite partial to the '13 from an aesthetic standpoint. The particular red paint, 4 into 1 and wheel/engine finishes. I don't count it as a performance bike vis a vis my other bikes, The CB is almost a pure aesthetic play for me. And anything that adds mass, visual or otherwise, is a negative in my eye.

The 2017 CB EX, as I saw up close at the NY motorcycle show, removes virtually all of the things that I find attractive about the current model. It looks bulbous and cluttered and completely un-sporting. The tank is terribly misshapen, and I really don't get this 'but there are no seams' thing. Big deal. Reintroducing the silver side panels is a miss. It looks less like any previous CB, so even the retro aspect is diminished. The performance upgrades appear to be minimal. And my hunch is that Honda will do little to surround it with any passion or accessories. That would be up to us.

I can't imagine many folks under 60 years of age targeting this bike as a must have. And I'm almost 59. Harsh, but it's how I feel about it after seeing it and straddling it. I do hope it succeeds in the market.
 
I have to agree with Capo and Ulve. Think they're all beautiful and a sixth gear is a bonus, but my perfect CB for me is the one I own. I'm probably the odd man out here, but I'm a big fan of the silver side panels! I love the 4-1 headers, too. Less symmetrical, but more sporting and much more beautiful, to my eye.

 
In my eyes, the perfect CB1100 has to be red, Honda red, with matching side covers. 4-1 exhaust. Black engine. Either the black wheels or spoked wheels would be fine.
 
Rolls_imp said:
I have to agree with Capo and Ulve. Think they're all beautiful and a sixth gear is a bonus, but my perfect CB for me is the one I own. I'm probably the odd man out here, but I'm a big fan of the silver side panels! I love the 4-1 headers, too. Less symmetrical, but more sporting and much more beautiful, to my eye.


It's real easy to start changing cosmetics around and spend a fortune; I'm fortunate in that I was mostly intrigued with other bikes I own and the CB was not ridden much for a couple of years. That way I didn't obsess over it. When I finally decided either it's "trade it, or figure it out," I started riding it a lot and had grown quite fond of its stock appearance.

I figured it out so it is not up for trade or sale.
 
Rolls_imp said:
I have to agree with Capo and Ulve. Think they're all beautiful and a sixth gear is a bonus, but my perfect CB for me is the one I own. I'm probably the odd man out here, but I'm a big fan of the silver side panels! I love the 4-1 headers, too. Less symmetrical, but more sporting and much more beautiful, to my eye.



+1

Rolls_imp said:
And functional for better access to maintain the chain.

I love this look for the CB1100:

 
As far as I am concerned, my new Black 2014 Standard with the OEM engine guards and rear rack looks fantastic! I have no plans to change anything on my CB (except dealing with the header pipes discoloration?)
 
Back
Top