The other side of Oregon

pdedse

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
I live near Portland...the great Northwet...drippy rain 7 months of the year with grey skies and green forests, mild temps...

On the other side of Oregon, east of the Cascades, it's another story.

Headed out yesterday morning at 10am to "avoid the heat" of Gresham. I had been with extended family the last 7 weeks straight, and it was time to get away...

Checked out Le Page park where the John Day River flows into the Columbia. Temps were in the low 90s by noon.
71d015f30ae834b9006838c7a8b0994d.jpg

05ce831199e51c9239bcd49973aff8ea.jpg


Headed east along I-84, hugging the Columbia River to Arlington, about two hours away.
e8cf4c09c2b84da1c26a9a235ae48fa9.jpg

8934593904149881f58d5fba74d92018.jpg


Marina at Arlington
7667688dacb7513d75876ad6f4b761d3.jpg


After lunch, it was time to head inland, following hiway 19 south.
Just south of Arlington, came across the aftermath of a brush fire caused by one of the wind turbines that burned over 2000 acres on August 2.

News report







 
Thread starter
Lots of wheat being harvested. Dust from that and forest fire smoke plus hot temps changed a normally beautiful blue sky to a non-descript grey-ish white haze.

Maybe a future "photo of the month" idea: cb1100 in front of machinery with tires taller than the cb itself.
ab0587be419a0d680a97488d7828e0e6.jpg


Mile after mile of golden wheat. I don't know how it all gets harvested.
74a7c4d28bfc8bb775a4aaee6f7c4474.jpg


f995d52e3251cf5b226080ffd1228465.jpg


940deb6a7b9a44805cbccde2be2f85fa.jpg


Every so often a green, irrigated valley...
c0985fa5de3dba2cbf8ea17ede24dbc6.jpg


01a9cf80e8031f2b31498bd608d342a9.jpg


Made it to Condon, temps hit 100...lots of water breaks. I had thought I'd do one circle route and then head home, but with the heat, decided to ride just half an hour more to Fossil, Or, and looked for lodging.
 
Thread starter
Fossil, Oregon... find someplace to stay: ok, one not very nice motel with a/c maybe not working at $55, or a BnB at $76, the Hyatt House. I chose the latter...

75c6087d745978d68eadf37ab9500aa7.jpg

Chris is the owner and the house is immense. He said he and his wife moved to Fossil over three years ago, bought the house, renovated it and now as a B&B and his wife's part-time job they do good enough. I asked him if he missed Portland at all and he said not a bit.

If it were me I might miss having an open restaurant to go to. Maybe it was just bad luck, but all 3 restaurants the town has were closed for the day. Supermarket was open till 7pm so that and microwave made for dinner. But the Hyatt House was nice.
d0ba137f3729ced40bc6c1c093f10bca.jpg


Comfy room with terrace overlooking the street.
2073109745f889a4c1559d58fdf06644.jpg


a86a22cb3d4db48c371bf7227ae48075.jpg


Kind of warm, but once the sun went down, open the windows and with floor fan, it was nice. I love central Oregon, so different than the wet side.

e1f529b16f54bb66a65cb7fbcd2cdb1f.jpg


This morning, had breakfast at the same time Chris and his wife were having theirs, a bit of conversation. Nice folks. Had it been me, I might have opted to start up a B&B in a bit more lively town, but I like what they did with the house.

Had to decide what to do for the day's ride. I wanted to see the Painted Desert which I passed by a few years back on another ride, but didn't have the time to take it in.

Headed south on 19 and right outside of town, ran into a flock of wild turkeys, about 15 altogether.

7f20ac92267bd0c8ab516f81d95713e1.jpg


Temps were supposed to rise to 106 in this area and already at 9:30am the morning coolness had vanished.
 
As always, nice report and pictures, pdedse.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the comments, Emptysea, Cormanus.

After the turkey encounter, my ride continued for a mere 10 miles before I had to stop. Some type of flying critters were nailing my helmet, jacket, gloves...about every 3-4 seconds. My mc jacket was open at the neck to let the air pass and a couple of the critters got in and down my shirt...and they bit, or stung...not sure which. Just before the trip on a short ride I had a bee smack me in the neck and he managed to sting me at the same time, now I got two more on the back and arm. Had to pull over, remove jacket and t-shirt and shake things out...which meant another photo opp:

5c8f0567c5f4f36f4623ce05ae3c1b00.jpg


79a04ed9704723bf794890a7b7209b17.jpg


fa909bf1f9d82052028021df42e047ca.jpg


The forest fire haze dulls the colors some. The above photos are south of Fossil on hiway 19 before the tiny town of Spray. The John Day River meanders about to the right of the road, providing water for the agricultural area.

46313271e2e8928439d39c383d8b687c.jpg


36120714ceae7f4622443d5d636da3c6.jpg


It would be my dream to own a farm house out here, miles from any big city. So much good riding readily available. My wife...not so enamored with the idea. I don't think my answer of "wait for me to return" satisfied her question of "what am I supposed to do while you're out an' about on your motorscooter?" No, she does not ride; no she will not ride with me.
:biker:

cfa5d035134ae6b61f5eaf949b404589.jpg


Hiway 19 continues winding its way south by southeast through Kimberly, and then straight south towards the John Day Fossil Beds National Monument. At this point I turned back west on hiway 26 to head towards the Painted Desert area.

a3c9fc1d71586a5de63fb8a957f34f6d.jpg


But if you're ever in this neck of the desert, be sure to head east on 26 towards the town of Dayville and all the way to the city of John Day itself. I rode that about 7 years ago and it's just an awesome ride with twistys, small canyons, gorgeous views:

f1aa4fe9c277b6a4f920b4cb5630033e.jpg


From the turn on to hiway 26--my farthest away point--it was 35 some miles to Mitchell...out here, if I've already got 60-70 miles on a tank, it's time to fill up because it's easy to get caught on long stretches of road with no facilities in sight. Mitchell actually had two gas pumps--can't really call them stations.

cabdcda7b970eb350668ad651f993026.jpg


Took an apple and water break at the city park...gas station attendant said it was already over 100 degrees and that the day before they hit 113, what's that, 45c? I thought it best to get going and see the Painted hills before they melted.
 
One of my all time favorite roads out there is Hwy 218 from Antelope to Shaniko. I picked up the Butler MC Map for Oregon and there's about 10 of the best roads in Oregon are in that area. I love it out there.
 
pdedse, thanks for posting those pics. I've only been as far as Bend and Madras. Now, I know what to look forward to in that direction.
 
Thread starter
tnelson99_imp said:
One of my all time favorite roads out there is Hwy 218 from Antelope to Shaniko. I picked up the Butler MC Map for Oregon and there's about 10 of the best roads in Oregon are in that area. I love it out there.
well, geewillikers...that was my other route possibility heading out of Fossil, and then after the Painted Desert, my time was dwindling a bit and so I chose to take 26 all the way back to Gresham. Next time, the 218 it is!
cooldrum_imp said:
pdedse, thanks for posting those pics. I've only been as far as Bend and Madras. Now, I know what to look forward to in that direction.
East out of Bend on Hiway 20 towards is Burns is nice and lonely, you have to like your own company. I want to make out to the Snake River area some day, but probably on the KLR650 instead of the CB1100.
 
Great photo's and read. and really special when you can enlarge them to see detail.
the old house or barn in the wheat field would be a fun hang out to stay the night and watch children of the corn .....:huh:
 
Thread starter
A few miles east of Mitchell and you'll find the turnoff for the Painted Desert.
1648166eab8024099b17b842a072d6ad.jpg


3-4 miles later and voilá:
088c39dc4b481eff00c972c75746a738.jpg

9cd329b30d3292b1f5f4548b048d810d.jpg


d9696ea7e8855b2a3f86454abcab1c52.jpg


5f1c39775fcf269c54473f2f322abdf0.jpg


869dd6637a78332b55e62dd9ccf571ff.jpg


Back a bit more:
4ef999c4b8d8f5f67c312017949cea06.jpg


and a bit closer:
271efdaa5f57787edc1b5be84830529d.jpg


It was nearly one and the heat was taking it's toll. My wife had told me in the morning to stay another night if I felt like I needed, but as I rode east on 26 towards Prineville, the smokey, hazy skies became more so, leaving all the beautiful mountain ranges less than majestic. After lunch in Prineville, decided it was time to head home.

The Deschutes River next to 26
d05fd027a4755d393f22be1d9c8df22a.jpg

use2b_imp said:
Great photo's and read. and really special when you can enlarge them to see detail.
the old house or barn in the wheat field would be a fun hang out to stay the night and watch children of the corn .....:huh:
Haha! I actually thought that I could mini-camp for one night in one of the abandoned farm houses / barns out there somewhere, but the heat was kind of oppressive. Now I need to see that movie.
 
Oh, goody! There was more. Thanks again pdedse. It looks a fabulous ride, although relentless heat on the bike is operative. 45°C is to be avoided.

Adelaide, where your sister lives, routinely climbs to 40°C for a few days of the summer.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Oh, goody! There was more. Thanks again pdedse. It looks a fabulous ride, although relentless heat on the bike is operative. 45°C is to be avoided.

Adelaide, where your sister lives, routinely climbs to 40°C for a few days of the summer.
Yeah, that heat was part of the reason I didn't extend to 3 days. I was stopping every 45 minutes just to down another bottle of water; well, 1/3 of it I pored over my head and handkerchief which I used to protect the back of my neck.

If I ever do get to visit her, should work out nice, because I can escape Oregon in December / Jan and that's there summer, so by that time I'd welcome a few 40c days.
suhawk305_imp said:
Great report pdedse, enjoyed the pictures.

Thanks for checking them out, suhawk305.
 
Thread starter
Before I left on Wednesday, I oiled the chain. Oilcan states to wait two hours, but I didn't...plus I may have sprayed just a bit too much on...and I paid the price, ugh!!
8d97e48e5bb345d2970f6d8fd101c441.jpg


Two hours later with some cleaner and toothbrush on the spokes and it was looking reasonable.

5c3d8c840edbde1f483777160c101998.jpg


About 400 miles for the two days, leaving plenty of down time to enjoy the scenery.
 
Crikey that’s clean!
 
Love the painted desert pics. So cool.
 
Fabulous photos!

Those bee encounters are not fun. They always try to outrun bikes, so you hit their stinger when you catch up to them!
 
A question about Oregon...

A few years ago my wife and I drove to Oregon to visit the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinnville. I have flown into Oregon before but never driven there.

At the first gas stop after we were passed the state line I started to gas up our Suburban. The fuel attendant ran over and stopped me. I thought he would call the cops! I had no idea that the law prohibits gassing up your own vehicle!

Does that law also apply to motorcycles? I would be very reluctant to allow anyone else to gas up my bike.
 
Back
Top