The original CB1100

Guth_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Anyone that's been hanging around here for a while knows that I have a preference for the 2013 model CB1100. The bike does everything I need it to do and I prefer the looks of this bike over all subsequent years. I've come to refer to these bikes as the "original" CB1100. Well this year I'm planning on taking things a step further...

It might be hard to believe, but I've never ordered anything from Mr. T (of Samurider fame) before. Well, I've got my first ever package from him headed my way as I type this note. It contains the Honda CB1100 Factory Seat (Japan model). The original CB1100 seat if you will (or simply the seat that appeals to a rather short guy with short legs like me, lol). I'll be curious to see how different the seat feels comfort-wise as I have absolutely no issues with the seat that originally came with the bike — hopefully I don't notice too much difference. But I'm sure that the shorter height will be appreciated when I'm trying to move the bike around while seated when parking for example, etc..

After exchanging a few notes with Mr. T, I will also soon be ordering the CB1100 Type II low handlebar to go with the seat. So look for a thread over in the Accessories/Modifications section in the not too distant future with some before/after photos. I guess it's been quite a while since I've had something to post in that section.
 
very cool. I think Cormanus's and Pterodactyl's and AussieFlyer's bikes came with the original low seat as well. Maybe they can advise you on comfort. I know Cormanus floats an air hawk.
 
Good luck with the new seat and hope it fits you well .
I have the K10 seat and it is taller than the only other CB1100 i have ever seen both front and back.
 
Get a new, bigger 16.8 L gas tank if you like long distance travel....100% proven investment = I do have this tank = awesome....depending on road/speed/rpm , I can get 350 km average/tank, my record was 395 km/tank, in 2018 must beat magic 400 km per tank.
Guth, good luck in 2018 motoring.
Winter is already here, next season is spring !!!!!:D

:biker:

pb
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
Get a new, bigger 16.8 L gas tank if you like long distance travel....100% proven investment = I do have this tank = awesome....depending on road/speed/rpm , I can get 350 km average/tank, my record was 395 km/tank, in 2018 must beat magic 400 km per tank.
Guth, good luck in 2018 motoring.
Winter is already here, next season is spring !!!!!:D

:biker:

pb
Thanks, but I like the looks of the bike with the stock tank the best out of all the options I've ever seen. Plus this tank actually works fine for me as I primarily tend to use my CB1100 for commuting and enjoying the many backroads the local area has to offer. I don't exactly rack up a lot of miles on my local rides — it doesn't take a lot to keep me happy and clear my head. Plus when I have ventured out much further on the bike I've found that I'm typically "ready for a stop" to get gas before I "have to stop" for gas.

It's nice to have options though and I'm glad the larger tank is working out so well for you. Here's hoping that Spring arrives sooner rather than later there in Canada.
 
Guth, if my 2011 came with the Japanese low seat, I find it very hard after an hour or so. I sport an AirHawk and, now, a sheepskin cover on top of that. I tried the sheepskin on it's own, but on day 2 it wasn't enough. Together, with a bit of adjustment to the AirHawk's pressure, it is passable for long days in the saddle, but my one criticism of the bike is how danged uncomfortable the stock seat is.

Pterodactyl and Tezza both sport augmentation to their seats for long rides.
 
I agree , about the only negative thing with my 2013 standard is the seat. I put on the high seat from samurider , but with only a little improvement.
 
use2b_imp said:
Good luck with the new seat and hope it fits you well .
I have the K10 seat and it is taller than the only other CB1100 i have ever seen both front and back.
I am confused, the bike looks like my old 750K1, (dry sump with oil tank), but the motor is dohc, not the original sohc. ???
 
emullick_imp said:
use2b_imp said:
Good luck with the new seat and hope it fits you well .
I have the K10 seat and it is taller than the only other CB1100 i have ever seen both front and back.
I am confused, the bike looks like my old 750K1, (dry sump with oil tank), but the motor is dohc, not the original sohc. ???
I am confused, the bike looks like my old 750K1, (dry sump with oil tank), but the motor is dohc, not the original sohc. ???
use2b's bike is a 2013 standard that has been customised with the Whitehouse kit to make it look like the K1. It's a beautiful job. Forum member beardyweirdy has a similarly modified bike, although with other custom features as well.
 
emullick_imp said:
use2b_imp said:
Good luck with the new seat and hope it fits you well .
I have the K10 seat and it is taller than the only other CB1100 i have ever seen both front and back.
I am confused, the bike looks like my old 750K1, (dry sump with oil tank), but the motor is dohc, not the original sohc. ???
Samurider offers the full Whitehouse K10 kit to convert the CB1100. It's around $4700 at current exchange rates.

WHITEHOUSE CB1100 Four K17 FULL KIT | Samurider.com
 
Guth_imp said:
Anyone that's been hanging around here for a while knows that I have a preference for the 2013 model CB1100. The bike does everything I need it to do and I prefer the looks of this bike over all subsequent years. I've come to refer to these bikes as the "original" CB1100. Well this year I'm planning on taking things a step further...

It might be hard to believe, but I've never ordered anything from Mr. T (of Samurider fame) before. Well, I've got my first ever package from him headed my way as I type this note. It contains the Honda CB1100 Factory Seat (Japan model). The original CB1100 seat if you will (or simply the seat that appeals to a rather short guy with short legs like me, lol). I'll be curious to see how different the seat feels comfort-wise as I have absolutely no issues with the seat that originally came with the bike — hopefully I don't notice too much difference. But I'm sure that the shorter height will be appreciated when I'm trying to move the bike around while seated when parking for example, etc..

After exchanging a few notes with Mr. T, I will also soon be ordering the CB1100 Type II low handlebar to go with the seat. So look for a thread over in the Accessories/Modifications section in the not too distant future with some before/after photos. I guess it's been quite a while since I've had something to post in that section.
I concur, Guth, I find the original, in red, to be the most attractive to my eye. I've passed on DLX's and EX's due to that preference. In fact, I like the 'naked' side of the bike, without the exhaust, to be the best!

Good luck with the seat, let us know how it goes. I went for a K&H cafe seat, and it's a big improvement.
 
Thread starter
Capo_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
Anyone that's been hanging around here for a while knows that I have a preference for the 2013 model CB1100. The bike does everything I need it to do and I prefer the looks of this bike over all subsequent years. I've come to refer to these bikes as the "original" CB1100. Well this year I'm planning on taking things a step further...

It might be hard to believe, but I've never ordered anything from Mr. T (of Samurider fame) before. Well, I've got my first ever package from him headed my way as I type this note. It contains the Honda CB1100 Factory Seat (Japan model). The original CB1100 seat if you will (or simply the seat that appeals to a rather short guy with short legs like me, lol). I'll be curious to see how different the seat feels comfort-wise as I have absolutely no issues with the seat that originally came with the bike — hopefully I don't notice too much difference. But I'm sure that the shorter height will be appreciated when I'm trying to move the bike around while seated when parking for example, etc..

After exchanging a few notes with Mr. T, I will also soon be ordering the CB1100 Type II low handlebar to go with the seat. So look for a thread over in the Accessories/Modifications section in the not too distant future with some before/after photos. I guess it's been quite a while since I've had something to post in that section.
I concur, Guth, I find the original, in red, to be the most attractive to my eye. I've passed on DLX's and EX's due to that preference. In fact, I like the 'naked' side of the bike, without the exhaust, to be the best!

Good luck with the seat, let us know how it goes. I went for a K&H cafe seat, and it's a big improvement.
I concur, Guth, I find the original, in red, to be the most attractive to my eye. I've passed on DLX's and EX's due to that preference. In fact, I like the 'naked' side of the bike, without the exhaust, to be the best!

Good luck with the seat, let us know how it goes. I went for a K&H cafe seat, and it's a big improvement.
Thanks Capo! I've already gone back and read some of the reviews out of Australia (it does appear that they received the same seat as Japan did) and noticed that in at least one of those the reviewer complained of the seat being too soft, lol. I guess that old saying about "butt's & opinions" has never been more true, both literally and figuratively, than when it comes to motorcycle seats.

I have a feeling that I'm really going to like the Japanese market seat mainly from a functionality standpoint if perhaps not so much for the looks. There is one particular image that Cycle World published way back when that remains one of my favorites of the CB1100. In this photo, the stock seat that came with the bike just looks perfect to me. While this bike is never going to be confused with a lightweight sportbike, this particular angle tends to make the CB1100 look just a tad more more muscular and a bit less porky which I like. But again, I do think that lower seat height will be nice for me when it comes to maneuvering the bike while seated when parking on uneven surfaces for example. Because while the CB1100 isn't really a bike bike, or unbearably heavy for that matter, it's definitely no Hawk GT either.

c87b97a6642f07840da23cefd7750496.jpg
 
use2b_imp said:
Good luck with the new seat and hope it fits you well .
I have the K10 seat and it is taller than the only other CB1100 i have ever seen both front and back.
This CB 1100 "K1" should be shown at the Quail Motorcycle Gathering in Carmel, California in May. It would be a big hit.
 
emullick_imp said:
use2b_imp said:
Good luck with the new seat and hope it fits you well .
I have the K10 seat and it is taller than the only other CB1100 i have ever seen both front and back.
This CB 1100 "K1" should be shown at the Quail Motorcycle Gathering in Carmel, California in May. It would be a big hit.
This CB 1100 "K1" should be shown at the Quail Motorcycle Gathering in Carmel, California in May. It would be a big hit.
Thanks but that would be to far to ride .
my bike actually is not a Standard but a CB1100AD which was not imported into the US . Silver Engine and 6 piston front brakes with linked ABS is the difference. also the kit mentioned does not come with the seat which is currently $489.44 , or the Honda Factory Spoke wheels and 4 into 4 SS pipes for another $5,400 on top of that. however it is a 2013 model.
 
So, use2b, yours came from Europe perhaps? The AD suffix suggests ABS and 2013.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
So, use2b, yours came from Europe perhaps? The AD suffix suggests ABS and 2013.
that is the only explanation for the factory silver engine as it is surely not painted, not a hint of that anywhere. also polished aluminum front sprocket cover
BTW my CB750K is on the way to the UK now in a shipping container which is probably how this one arrived. we have a local man who ships cars and bikes back and forth so it must be easy

the guy i bought it from sales a lot of bikes and parts on Ebay . He said the builder died from a heart attack and he bought it at an estate sale . back on subject this new seat was soooo hard and took some breaking in so i hope things go well for Guth
 
I like the red one on the poster. Lol
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I like the red one on the poster. Lol
Go figure, eh? :D

It's funny though, I always wondered how they made the bottom of the tank straight on those K10 kits. I didn't really notice how much of a gap existed between the tank/seat/side panel until just now when I was looking at that image of the red one which explains how they can pull off that tank shape. It's also pretty amazing how close they get that tank to the top of the engine's valve covers. Those tanks look hand-made so they must have pretty tight quality control and a high level of craftsmanship at Whitehouse.
 
Back
Top