The one that got away...

Shinchan_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
After selling my CB450, I was finally ready for a CB11. I have a specific budget to work with. The local Kawasaki dealership got in a '13 6 weeks ago, but the price was beyond the budget. Fast forward 6 weeks, and they drop the price $900 bringing it within striking range. I've been busy all week but planned to drop by there yesterday morning for a test ride and potential purchase. Yesterday my DW informs me that she has an appointment and I need to stay home with our new puppy. Fast forward to 4pm and I thrown my gear in the car and head over to the dealership.

I walk in the door and ask for the sales person that I had been talking to on the phone and he informs me that 20 minutes earlier, someone put a deposit on the bike. While we are having this discussion, another sales person is on the phone with another person who is also on their way to see the bike. So after 6 weeks, 3 people all try to buy the same bike within a half hour of each other.

Since the bike only had a deposit on it, they were kind enough to let me take a test ride anyway. I get back and the guy with the deposit is there. He wanted them to hold the bike for a week. They told him that either he needed to buy the bike then and there, or they would sell it to me. Needless to say, the guy says "okay" and pays for the bike.

I know I'll be able to eventually find a bike that fits my budget, but it was just frustrating to be so close...
 
I can't believe the dealer let you take it for a ride when someone had a deposit on it. When I bought my new DLX (5hrs away) and I put a deposit on it I asked the this exact question if someone would be allowed to ride it. They told me absolutely not and no one did when I picked it up.

I hope you find one that fits your budget.
 
Thread starter
I think it was the fact that he wanted them to hold it for a week and the fact that I was standing there with cash that convinced them to let me ride it :)

That being said, I would be pretty po'd if I saw someone else riding the bike I just put a deposit on...

clearviewx_imp said:
I can't believe the dealer let you take it for a ride when someone had a deposit on it. When I bought my new DLX (5hrs away) and I put a deposit on it I asked the this exact question if someone would be allowed to ride it. They told me absolutely not and no one did when I picked it up.

I hope you find one that fits your budget.
I know one will come along, but it would be pretty hard to beat the price they dropped it to (just above $5k) for the mileage that was on the bike (under 5k)

LongRanger_imp said:
Bummer, but I bet the one you DO buy will be even better and less expensive. Life works that way.
 
You could get a brand new leftover 14 for 7k or a little more. I would look into that. Do what you can for the little extra. Finance. Loan. Whatever. Some places will shop to you or take a little road trip. There out there, you just have to look.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
Will ship to you, typo

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Unfortunately I really have to stick to low-$5k, that's already taking some financing into consideration. Sales tax alone in my neck of Colorado adds another $500 plus another ~$250 in license/title/ownership tax and I have to pay that regardless of whether I buy the bike here or from another state.

uscgmac_imp said:
You could get a brand new leftover 14 for 7k or a little more. I would look into that. Do what you can for the little extra. Finance. Loan. Whatever. Some places will shop to you or take a little road trip. There out there, you just have to look.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
Will ship to you, typo

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
 
I don't know how many times this has happened to me on various assorted items over the years, either by something coming up in my personal or business life that detoured me away from pulling the trigger when I wanted to, or just through pure, unadulterated procrastination, so I feel your pain! :-/
Best of luck in your search, though, I'm sure you'll find something down the road - the used ones are starting to pop up here and there now.
 
Thread starter
4 Paws, do you have any details? I tried searching the site but only came up with general posts about the CB. I suspect that the ADVrider forum also hides their "for sale" section unless you sign up for an account, and I don't want to clog up their works to only go and look at one post.

4 Paws_imp said:
One used one over on the ADVrider forum site also.

They really are decent bikes, solid and fun to ride.
 
Just checked, appears to be sold.
Thread is in the "Flea Market" section on ADVRider.
My local Craigslist has two, one dealership in Southern Pines NC at $8k for a '13 used (obviously negotiable) and an individual in Charlotte NC at $6.5k which should be negotiable also. Mileage definitely would not scare me at all. These things are solid and I fully expect at a minimum 75k before thinking about any serious work to the engine.
I paid right at $7k for a new old stock '13 in 2015.
If I can help in any way let me know.
 
Thread starter
Unfortunately my schedule does not allow for a fly and ride. I've got a bead on another local '13 with 10k miles that I am going to see this week.

Thanks for the heads-up though.

kennyw_imp said:
CB1100 Forum

He is down to $5650 or best cash offer.
 
uscgmac_imp said:
You could get a brand new leftover 14 for 7k or a little more. I would look into that. Do what you can for the little extra. Finance. Loan. Whatever. Some places will shop to you or take a little road trip. There out there, you just have to look.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
Will ship to you, typo

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
I just bought my 14 black CB for $6900 out the door.
 
Back
Top