The OBSERVED Valve Clearance thread

2014 CB1100DX, Mileage: 30K miles

#1 - exhaust .28, .28 intake .18,.18
#2 - exhaust .28T, .28 intake .18,.18
#3 - exhaust .28, .28 intake .18,.18
#4 - exhaust .28L, .28 intake .18,.18

* T= tight .28
* L = loose .28

No adjustment needed.
 
2013 CB 1100 with 19,000+ miles on it at it's FIRST Valve check. Bike is never pushed to red line but has seen triple digits on numerous occasions.

Cost: Shop checked/adjusted valves, replaced rear brake pads with ones I supplied, flushed brake/clutch lines and replaced spark plugs. $510.18 ($34.71 which was tax)

Specs: Exhaust .25-.31 Intake .12-.18

#1 - exhaust .30,.30 intake .18,.18
#2 .28,.30 .18,.18
#3 .30,.30 .18,.15
#4 .30,.30 .18,.18
 
Frulk_imp said:
2013 CB 1100 with 19,000+ miles on it at it's FIRST Valve check. Bike is never pushed to red line but has seen triple digits on numerous occasions.

Cost: Shop checked/adjusted valves, replaced rear brake pads with ones I supplied, flushed brake/clutch lines and replaced spark plugs. $510.18 ($34.71 which was tax)

Specs: Exhaust .25-.31 Intake .12-.18

#1 - exhaust .30,.30 intake .18,.18
#2 .28,.30 .18,.18
#3 .30,.30 .18,.15
#4 .30,.30 .18,.18
Well done.

Did the shop leave as checked, or did they adjust to bring clearance back to about middle of the range?
 
why two measurements for each one?

ie: #1 exhaust 30...30 intake 18...18

wouldn't it measure just EX 30 .... or INT 18?

If they didn't charge you for shims i would assume they didn't use any.
 
Because our bikes have 4 valves per cylinder.
 
oh duh! I should have known that lol
 
Thanks for posting frulk, i took the liberty to also duplicate your findings in the spreadsheet for valve clearances, they can be deleted or altered if you wish, it's open to the members, just click on a "field", it highligts in blue and you can than type or change the content of that field.
To change values in a field; doubleclick on the field, trundle the cursor to the right place with the left/right arrows and type in new values.

Reason for this spreadsheet is to be able to compare all clearances in a compact version.

observed valve clearance thread google spreadsheet
 
max_imp said:
Thanks for posting frulk, i took the liberty to also duplicate your findings in the spreadsheet for valve clearances, they can be deleted or altered if you wish, it's open to the members, just click on a "field", it highligts in blue and you can than type or change the content of that field.
To change values in a field; doubleclick on the field, trundle the cursor to the right place with the left/right arrows and type in new values.

Reason for this spreadsheet is to be able to compare all clearances in a compact version.

observed valve clearance thread google spreadsheet
Thanks max. Downloaded.
 
Thanks for updating us Frulk. My 2013 is also at 19k miles, never redlined, but ridden “spiritedly”. Based on your clearances and many others, I think I will hold off on getting them checked a bit longer. Bike is running fine and I’m wary to spend that much dough for a non-adjustment. Might do it myself with assistance from from my dad who has the knowledge and shop/tools to do so. Just gotta find the time, we live about 4 hours apart.

It is odd that they cited an adjustment when all your clearances were in spec. I’d be inquiring with them if it were me.
 
You're welcome, max. They also gave me the size of the shims currently fitted if that's of interest to you.
 
Yes please, that complements the research for us all, see if you can insert it just under the new values like; shims used; ........

And just out of interest did you notice any valves ticking before/after?
 
No, Max, I don't know that I particularly noticed any valves ticking. I picked it up and rode it home about 1.5 kms and wasn't paying much attention. I'll have a listen when I ride it again to see if it is any quieter.

ex: .25 .24 .24 .23 .25 .23 .19 .23
Shims: 192 200 198 195 190 195 195 193
in: .17 .17 .17 .18 .18 .18 .17 .16

New clearances
ex: .28 .30 .31 .30 .32 .32 .28 .30
Shims: 190 195 193 190 185 190 185 188
 
This discussion leads me to question my own situation. I generally wear pretty good ear protection and the engine sounds like the proverbial sewing machine all the time. But once in a while I will forget the ear plugs and everything is louder. That's when I notice that under pretty good acceleration I hear distinct ticking from the engine. It runs as it always has with no discernible difference over time. So, is this the injectors doing their thing or valves rattling around? It's got 15k miles on it, mostly casual riding though I do prefer to keep the revs elevated (3500 to 4500 RPM are normal, I guess).
Or maybe I should just put my earplugs back in :angel:
 
Back
Top