The last one?

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
When I bought my T-100 Bonneville new in 2003, I told my wife that it would probably be my last motorcycle purchase. I even sort of believed it myself ( doubt that given my history, she believed me) I was 53, had planned on retiring at 62. Wasn't riding fast anymore. Thought I would be happy with the Bonneville for the rest of my riding days. It was a lovely motorcycle. Beautiful, smooth, seemed powerful " enough", and I suppose for 1 up riding locally it was. My wife and I towed it to Arizona and spent 2 weeks touring all the National Parks on it. Problem was, it wasn't suited for that. Two small, not powerful enough, not enough braking ability. So I sold the Triumph to my younger brother (he still has it)

I then bought a used 750 Nighthawk. A little bigger that the Triumph, about 50% more power. Again it was great solo around town, But when my wife and I rode the Natchez Trace on it from Tenn to Misissippi we again discovered it wasn't a good 2 up bike...and to tell the truth even with a Plexifairing 3 and soft luggage it still lacked as a tourer even solo. But I enjoyed riding it on Sundays to lunch with my brother on the Triumph, so I kept it.

I then bought a new leftover Yamaha FZ-1, an awesome bike both as a sport bike, and as a tourer. Gobs of power, awesome brakes. My wife was never really comfortable on it though and my son wanted it badly so I sold it to him (he still owns it) and I bought a left over 2006 Honda ST 1300. I now had my dedicated 2 up touring bike, that had plenty of room, power, storage, comfort and brakes and a I still had the 750 Honda for riding around town, but I missed the power and braking of the FZ-1 so I found a used one and bought it. And kept the Nighthawk for riding around with my brother on the Triumph.

In the meantime my wife had bought a new Yamaha 400 Majesty scooter, but she felt funny riding around on a scooter while I was riding a motorcycle, so I found a used one just like hers and bought it so I could scooter around with my wife.

So now I had my 2 up tourer, my sport bike and solo tourer, my roadster and my scooter. The garage and stable was in my opinion " nearly perfect"

Then Honda announced they would be bringing the CB 1100 to the U.S. I always said if they brought it I would buy one ( but it seemed like that was never going to happen), but then it did. Oh lord, what do I do. I offered my brother my FZ-1 at a good price (yes he still has it lol) and sold my 750 Nighthawk to a guy that worked with my son and bought the 2013 CB 1100...and wouldn't you know it, less than a year later Honda announces an updated CB 1100 which suited me more so what is a guy to do? I made a deal for a 2014 by trading in my 2013 CB 1100 and my scooter.

If you are following..since I bought my " last" motorcycle, I have bought SEVEN more " last" motorcycles. :rolleyes:

But you know what? I really " think" this is the last one this time. Really. ..... I swear honey!

Now, how many of you have bought your last motorcycle?
 
I wrote when I first joined to this forum that I told my wife that my 2011 black 103 inch HD Streetglide was my last bike purchase at 56 yo, I had just recently sold my DR650 that I had kind of half motarded, really fun to go to work and back! Then bikeless for about 2 weeks, the garage just looked wierd. I told my wife I think I just want a 5000.00 bike that I dont have to stress out about just to ride to work and back and on sundays my only day off, love my Vstar 1100 silverado, I guess im in great shape it is all I need, Damn you Honda for building the 2014 Deluxe.Like you Ferret I am waiting as patiently as possible,I love this forum because now I know for sure that I am not alone in going through about 50 bikes since the day I got my bike permit at 16yo, and you know what, everyone needs at least 2 just incase of a dead battery!
 
This was my last, CB1100 should last until I die or get too old to ride, after all I said " my 900 Ninja has lasted 25 years".
 
I bought my Nighthawk thinking it would be the next to last one. If I could ever get my hands on a CB1100 that would be it for me but who knows. I am really enjoying my NH right now and I tell ya its a lot of bang for the buck and I really like it a lot. Its those demons in the back of my head that scare me when these 14's start showing up used.
 
I think I wrote only in Jan this year that this CB would be the last bike I'm buying, well my lovely wife has had 3 pillion rides and said she would like another bike of her own, so this coming Saturday it looks like we are getting a Moto Guzzi Nevada Classic.
We have to travel 220 mls to view it so fingers crossed, well the CB looked abit lonely in the garage on its own.....Happy days.....this will be the last bike I'm buying .

Promise..:rolleyes:

Anyone tried one of these..
 
I am not even close to buying my last bike. At 56 I've only just begun. Since the CB1100 I've bought a Kawasaki ZRX 1200R and a 1970 Triumph Bonneville. I'm selling, trading and buying towards an ever elusive goal of the ideal (for me) stable. That being said, I've Got two kids approaching college and I'm looking at retirement in 10 years, so, there will come a time when I'm down to a few, or perhaps one, bike. And it very well might be the CB1100. Or not.
 
I feel a it out of place here amongst such dedicated bike owners but, who I got back into riding at 55, I thought the VT750C I bought would see me out. But at about the same time Honda released the CB1100 in Australia, I sat on one and wanted it, but wasn't prepared to pay the A$15,000 asking price. So I resigned myself not unhappily to the Shadow. Then, last year, a mate persuaded me that, if I really, really wanted the CB1100, I should buy a second hand one. It took a bit of work to persuade my wife, but I bought the CB and I think I hope it will last until I no longer want or am able to ride.

Any of you who have ever read "The Wind in the Willows" will recall Mr Toad, a chap who flitted from one obsession to the next. I've a sense that I've more than a little of Mr Toad in me, so it remains to be seen whether some new obsession emerges.

For those of you wrestling with the same demons, good luck!
 
Mick65_imp said:
I think I wrote only in Jan this year that this CB would be the last bike I'm buying, well my lovely wife has had 3 pillion rides and said she would like another bike of her own, so this coming Saturday it looks like we are getting a Moto Guzzi Nevada Classic.
We have to travel 220 mls to view it so fingers crossed, well the CB looked abit lonely in the garage on its own.....Happy days.....this will be the last bike I'm buying .

Promise..:rolleyes:

Anyone tried one of these..

I've ridden it's twin brother, the V7 Special. Nice bike with decent handling but very much under powered for a 700cc+ bike in my opinion. I bought a Bonneville SE instead which I felt handled better and had far more power. The Guzzi's seat is way better than the Triumph though.
 
No… I'm kind of looking for a mid 70's CB like the one I originally owned…. There are a few more things I'd like to have in the garage…Triumph, BMW R1200RT….the list could go on
 
You blokes are all mainlining motorcycles and will never, never, never kick the habit. I, on the other hand, am strong willed, sure of purpose and know that I can stay clean. I keep away from showrooms and avoid mc magazines. I can keep clean, can't I? Please tell my wife I can. Please.........please.........please..
 
I think I'm with Capo on this one. Will the 2014 DLX be my last? I doubt it. However, it may be the last air cooled 4 I buy. When I bought my '13 I bought it because I wanted to experience what a 4 from back 'in the day' felt like. And I was pretty happy with it until the 14 DLX came along. I can't see how they could improve upon that unless they went to a 4 into 4 exhaust. But that's another story. I plan on 'someday' trading in my Superglide for a Road King or Road Glide or some other Harley tourer. When I retire I plan on doing some serious cross country riding and although I've taken my Superglide to Milwaukee and up into Pa. from Georgia where I keep it, I feel the need for a bigger touring bike. Someday when I feel afraid of straddling a bike, I might consider a CanAm or something like that. I rode one at Daytona last year... not bad. Not for now... but not bad. I'm not close to being done...:banana:
 
Ride4now, I am also wanting that i4 feeling again,I bought a brand new candy red suz gs750 in 1977 first 4 stroke for suz, I loved that bike for many years and at 1995.00 what a deal! I just know my dlx will give me my youth back, I cant wait.
 
Honestly, I'm really impressed by the number of bikes that many folks here on the forum have owned. My CB1100 represents only the second bike of my adult life and it could indeed be my very last.

I'd love to add a dirt bike to the mix someday, but there is a lot more involved in that case — can't just ride it right out of the driveway and on my happy way, but instead needing to trailer it to a place to ride, not to mention finding the room to store all of this stuff. Well, nice to dream about anyway.
 
I'd love to have smaller, sport(y)bike like the CBR250r or perhaps a vintage bike like a CB350 or CB550 for riding around town. If I were to have the CBR, I might start using it for track days. Wouldn't mind at least trying a dirt bike or some sort of a dual sport, either. However, any of these would be second (or third?) bikes to my main ride.

So...My CB1100 may not be the last bike I buy, but I am pretty sure it will be the last one I own.
 
ferret well written, great idea for a thread! After more then a 100
street bikes I have said it more then once.
Pterodactyl :rofl: :rofl:
 
Well, I don't have the history that some of you do, I started riding at 12 years of age, up until about 8 years ago, then, somehow I got away from it. Not sure how, but I did. So not very long ago, (before I learned about the CB1100), I thought that perhaps I had already owned my last bike.

I could see myself riding my trusty CB1100 until I am no longer able to ride. Wouldn't be a stretch at all.

The CB will always be with me, but I can also see myself purchasing a Ninja 1000 for sport touring in a couple of years, we'll see............;)
 
I thought my '93 CB750 was going to be my last bike. I'm a big fan of UJM types and it seemed unlikely (until 2009) that anyone would ever make one again. I'll admit that I was a bit concerned that I could very well outlive my Nighthawk, so when the CB11 arrived in the U.S., I went straight to the dealer.

I now have two UJMs and split my riding evenly between them. I'm pretty sure I've bought my last bike.
 
My BMW r1150r was my last bike just before my st1300 was my last bike. Now my cb1100 is my last bike

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
I'm 27 and started riding around 8 months ago, I don't think this will be the last bike I buy! That said, I don't really need much else from a bike either. Now, want, that's a whole other thing...
 
kevbroce_imp said:
I'm 27 and started riding around 8 months ago, I don't think this will be the last bike I buy! That said, I don't really need much else from a bike either. Now, want, that's a whole other thing...
We never really 'need' much from our bikes... I think it's mostly 'want'. That being said, I bet you've got a lot of bikes ahead of you!! Ride safe...
ss2wheels_imp said:
Ride4now, I am also wanting that i4 feeling again,I bought a brand new candy red suz gs750 in 1977 first 4 stroke for suz, I loved that bike for many years and at 1995.00 what a deal! I just know my dlx will give me my youth back, I cant wait.
It probably won't give you back your youth... but it'll sure put a youthful smile on your face every time you hear the sound of that engine and shift through its gears. I can't wait either!!!
 
Back
Top