The Importance of Protective Gear

The video played OK for me.
He's a very lucky guy indeed, but they wear all that gear for a reason.
I can't even begin thinking about riding at that speed let alone falling off :D
 
I can recall responding to a single vehicle sportbike motorcycle crash on a 50 MPH highway in the middle of the night where the guy definitely wasn't doing only 50. He had been wearing a suit like that though and I determined that he slid along the pavement for more than 150 feet after leaving the bike and he was fine.
 
Rocky_imp said:
The video played OK for me.
He's a very lucky guy indeed, but they wear all that gear for a reason.
I can't even begin thinking about riding at that speed let alone falling off :D
Yeah, there is this speed limiter...:biker:
 
Can't figure out why people spend ten grand on a bike and farkle it out but won't spend a couple of hundred on some decent gear.
General comment.
 
Because, 4 Paws, it couldn't happen to me.
 
Couple of hundred? A grand plus with boots, gloves, helmet, jacket and pants.


2014 CB1100 DLX
2013 CB1100 Std
1990 BMW K75 RT
 
A helmet is the only piece of gear designed to actually save your life ( and even wearing the best on the market is no guarantee), but wearing a helmet is the best shot you got for survival if you are involved in a motorcycle crash.

The other items... boots, gloves, jacket, pants are not designed to save your life, but rather they are designed to prevent road rash and spread impact to help minimise bone breakage.

When buying gear, work from the top down imo. Helmet, jacket, gloves, pants, boots as you can afford it.

Cheap motorcycle gear beats no motorcycle gear, and last years colors/designs can often be bought at extreme bargains.

Personally I would buy mc gear before I would buy an exhaust system, or power commander, etc, but each must set their own priorities on their own safety.
 
Agreed, but I put gloves and boots after helmet, but then I bought a jacket with all four at the same time.


2014 CB1100 DLX
2013 CB1100 Std
1990 BMW K75 RT
 
Elipten, Funny you would place those items of importance first. I was in a wreck in 1968 or 69 when a lady in a 54 Dodge turned left in front of me on my 67 305 Scrambler Honda. I hit her passenger door and went over the car landing on the ground on the other side. Knocked unconscious for 45 mins.

But the 3 injuries that have plagued me for nearly 50 years happened to my head, 7 broken/chipped teeth and broken nose...(teeth are still chipped) ..broken right hand (it gets stiff) and broken right foot with damaged nail bed on big toe (toe nail used to fall off every year now it's just thick and crooked, but no longer falls off).

My hand was pinched between brake lever and handlebar and there are no gloves that would have prevented that being broken. A full face helmet would have prevented the nose and teeth damage but they were not in production yet, I was wearing a Buco open face helmet and High Point glasses. I think a good pair of mc specific boots would have prevented the broken foot, maybe not, but pretty sure it would have prevented the big toe injury. So your order of importance would certainly have helped me.

If we could only predict if we were going to have an impact or a low or high side we could then choose the approapriate gear to buy/ wear.

Guess the best advice is if you can afford it, buy it all at once.
 
I was in a very similar MC accident in 74, except that mine was at a very low speed and on dirt. Came out of it extremely lucky with a sprained leg, couldn't bend it for 4 months (my truck was a standard too and had to do everything with my right foot). What I didn't realise was the damage to my right hand which was just discovered last year by the doctor that did my carpal tunnel surgery. When I sat down with him before the surgery he said "Ah, you had a trauma when you were around 19 1/2". Huh ? How did you know that ? Fast forward 40+ years and that injury is forcing me to retire a little earlier than I expected.
 
Simple - A helmet saved my life once and wearing long pants and a leather jacket in the middle of summer in Florida at the time also prevented road rash. I had a stage 3 concussion, but I'm here to bug everyone on the forum because of it - LOL ... The bike was totaled. No need to say more, but I think I once posted this info.
 
redbirds_imp said:
I read about this crash yesterday on the Motogp site but could not access the video. Hard to believe that a rider could walk away from this. Protective gear works.

Loris Baz’s 180-mph Crash
That stuff happens so fast.
I understand that they make those suits with airbags inside?
 
The issue with gear is the heat. My K75RT is so freaking hot in the summer, I bought the CB1100. I moved here to San Antonio 5 years this coming June. Left the bike in Albuquerque with my helmet, jacket, gloves and boots. Flew back on July 6th, taxi to the house, geared up and started to ride. The heat was so bad I had to drink as much cold drinks as the bike used gasoline and had to finally take off the mesh jacket and a few naps on picnic benches. Eastern New Mexico and West Texas are a hot $@(&. Finally rode until 2am as the temp finally dropped below 100F. Few hours nap, and a killer few hours the next day. Hardest ride I ever made.

Somebody makes a water cooled garment like the moon walkers wore, I might consider it.


2014 CB1100 DLX
2013 CB1100 Std
1990 BMW K75 RT
 
Elipten_imp said:
The issue with gear is the heat. My K75RT is so freaking hot in the summer, I bought the CB1100. I moved here to San Antonio 5 years this coming June. Left the bike in Albuquerque with my helmet, jacket, gloves and boots. Flew back on July 6th, taxi to the house, geared up and started to ride. The heat was so bad I had to drink as much cold drinks as the bike used gasoline and had to finally take off the mesh jacket and a few naps on picnic benches. Eastern New Mexico and West Texas are a hot $@(&. Finally rode until 2am as the temp finally dropped below 100F. Few hours nap, and a killer few hours the next day. Hardest ride I ever made.

Somebody makes a water cooled garment like the moon walkers wore, I might consider it.


2014 CB1100 DLX
2013 CB1100 Std
1990 BMW K75 RT
You can try these things.

REV'IT! Liquid Cooling Vest - RevZilla

They're not even close to the radiator cooled space suits, but they can make a big difference in hot weather. You soak them and they work for about 4 hours or so (not the 6 they claim).
 
I took a 200 mile ride through the California Central Valley last summer in 108deg F heat. If I hadn't had a swamp cooler vest on and a wet bandana around my neck I would have been bbq'd. I swear by those things.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Man...here we are up here in the East freezin our tails off and you guys are complaining about the heat :D I definity take more risks in the hotter weather. If I take the Spyder out of MA to non-helmet states, which is all of our borders, I love not wearing a helmet. But, not on two wheels anymore.
 
Back
Top