The GOAT of Short Motorcycle Boots: Indie Ridge

rdprdp01

Administrator
Thread starter
As I mentioned in a previous thread, I have become more sensitive to safety while riding my CB1100. Although I have been fortunate and lucky to have remained upright during my 45 years on a motorcycle, stuff happens. 

Old nerd that I am, I reviewed reports from government agencies, equipment manufacturers, insurance companies, and crusading law firms to make a more informed decision where to start. The consensus was there: the most common injury sustained by motorcyclists are to the lower extremities. As I reviewed my protective gear, I clearly had two deficits: I did not own proper motorcycle boots or jeans. 

So with great enthusiasm, I went on a quest to purchase both. However, I did have some boundaries. Because I already purchased a fantastic set of crash bars (http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=19305) and had no desire to look like an elderly power ranger, I focused on finding “low” boots that (1) had an overall Level 2 safety rating, (2) were comfortable to wear, (3) would last a lifetime with proper care, and (4) could be worn with motorcycle jeans at a coffee shop and not make me look like a movie extra from a Mad Max movie.

All roads led to Steve at Indie Ridge, based in San Bernardino, CA. Although I have not met the man, his work and post-sale support have earned the respect of motorcyclists throughout North America and possibly across the pond. He works tirelessly to create great boots, gloves, and riding gear for motorcyclists. You can learn a little bit about Steve and a lot more about Indie Ridge products on his refreshingly focused website:

https://www.indieridgeusa.com.

I purchased a pair of “The Crow” boots so named because they are black (https://www.indieridgeusa.com/collection...the-crow).

They were properly shipped in a double-box setup:
Y6O6Y6H.jpeg

N9FgVAI.jpeg


They were properly packed and had a wonderful registration twist:
0N2gEbN.jpeg

easL19t.jpeg

Eq7fzzA.jpeg


They look, feel, and believe it or not smell fantastic:
t3gBJpI.jpeg


Steve must own a motorcycle because the design, function, and materials scream let’s ride.
Here is the inside of the boot. Note the custom stitching and molded padding:
NCdqhDF.jpeg


The best way to illustrate the ergonomics is to compare them to a non-motorcycle boot. I love my Timberlands for carpentry and gardening, but there is no comparison as a motorcycle boot:
kGlWAjK.jpeg


The soles are not an afterthought. A tread design was created to help address the challenges we face stopping, starting, and walking in motorcycle boots:
eMJFPv9.jpeg


When I received the boots, I put them on. I heard a swish as I inserted my foot. It is a snug but not too tight fit. I wore the boots for two days to break them in. No blisters; no discomfort. They loosened up with each step.
k7sYj3J.jpeg

WHulMN5.jpeg


They fit nicely on a stock setup for a CB1100. 
n72cMMX.jpeg


I rode with them for the first time today. It was perfect. Shifting gears was easy and my new motorcycle jeans fit over them nicely. 
xQIUZjt.jpeg


The materials and craftsmanship earned the safety rating:
amBO1lR.jpeg
If you are looking for a lifelong boot, I recommend you give Indie Ridge serious consideration.
I know this thread is too long but I felt I owed it to Indie Ridge to give a proper accounting. Forgive me if I let my enthusiasm get the better of me. I will create another thread for the motorcycle jeans I equally like. Good night.


2017 Honda CB1100 EX
The most sophisticated, smooth, perfectly engineered motorcycle I've ever owned. A pleasure in every way.
 
I've got the same boots, their gauntlet style gloves, and 2 t-shirts. All fantastic products! The insides of the gloves feel amazing.

Steve is a great guy to work with! Highly recommended.
 
They do look good!
 
Coming back to this, as I'm shopping for a new pair of boots. My beloved Tourmaster Epics have served me very well. Should have bought more than one pair when they were on clearance. A zipper broke on one of them, and I'm having it repaired, but the shop says it might take a month. In the meantime, I broke out my Tourmaster "Echo" boots I had held in reserve for backups in case the Epic boots ever failed me. I have wide feet and Tourmaster makes wide sizes. The Echos fit well, but are made out of some kind of "microfiber" instead of leather, and after one week, there are already pock marks in the fronts of them. I don't see them lasting a long time. I fear that most Tourmasters are now made of this material instead of leather.

I stopped by a Revzilla store on Friday while I was out riding around, and the very attentive guy suggested a few boots. I did like a pair of Alpinestars touring boots, but am shopping for something wide and comfortable for all-day riding.
 
Thread starter
Among my many defects, I have wide feet. Good for balance, but challenging to find shoes and boots that fit properly at a good price. I own two pairs of Indie Ridge Boots and am saving for a third pair that are ventilated. The post above addresses the specs and the quality of workmanship. Two years in, both boots have exceeded my high expectations. Many motorcyclists criticize my decision to wear short boots rather than those that reach the knee, favored by adventure riders. My riding style has me leaving the motorcycle and entering buildings or taking in a scenic vista or walking at a market. Although an adventure boot is safer, the trade-offs are too high for me.

The protection is unmatched for a boot that ends above the ankle. For your day-to-day, Gone, consider Indie Ridge. Steve, the owner, is a motorcyclist and someone who actually uses his own products. He will accept a return if you unbox them and find that they simply are not up to the task of taking over from your Tourmaster Epics. You will be lacing up a boot and not using a zipper if you adopt Indie Ridge. For me, I prefer it. It helps set the tone before I start the motorcycle.

My next pair of Indie Ridge boots for hot days will be the Walker.

My fourth pair that will be waterproof Mohawks.
 
I'll definitely take a look at Indie Ridge! Funny thing, while I was at the Revzilla store on Friday, they had one of those old-fashioned shoe sizer thingees where you put your foot on it, move some things around to meet up with your feet, and it tells you your size. I came out to a 45 (10.5 American), with a width between C and D. However, I have some weird slight deformity in my left foot that makes wide boots the only comfortable option.

Today, I was headed down to Mom's to fix a slow drain and barbecue burgers for lunch. I realized I hadn't driven my Fiesta since I took the new job in March, so I drove instead of riding. I stopped in at a Cycle Gear near a gas stop, and tried on some plain, basic Bilt brand "touring" boots. They actually fit quite well, and claimed to be leather. Super cheap at $99, and I'm thinking about the "air" version with no rain lining and perforations in the leather. Going to check out some reviews first.
 
You're lucky to have options. I have short, wide, high feet and, if I find anything that fits and is comfortable, I buy it.
 
The "go to" touring boot in these parts is from the German manufacturer Daytona, their Goretex lined "Roadstar GTX" is their bestseller, you see them everywhere when touring Europe. The main highlight is that each size comes in five sizes! Sounds confusing doesn't it?

So if you are size 11 for instance there is a extra small, small, medium, large and extra large version, all in a size 11, the same for the other sizes through the range. This allows for a range of calf sizes, ball, ankle and instep measurements. I have a large calf and wide feet and have found a lot of manufacturers offer little in the way of calf flexibity. I can get a wide fit in many a boot but then a poor measurement elsewhere.

Different parts of ones feet might be the deciding measurement. For example the instep of my size 11 could be anything between 27cm to 28.5cm, ankle 34cm-36cm and so on for the other measurements. I chose a size to allow for a thick warm sock and my large calf for winter riding.

These boots are not trendy though, functionally German! :-)

[attachment=1514]
 

Attachments

  • GTX.webp
    GTX.webp
    32 KB · Views: 53
I've heard of Daytona. That style is just what I'm going for, simple and functional. Another good option.
My cheap nature is fighting the fact that now that I ride for a living, I should invest in something nice.
 
Nice boots but for me, laced boots are not a safe choice. For some reason, I have experienced the boot lace getting caught by the feeler bolt under the foot peg (step).
My main boot is similar to Tex’s. TCX X-5.4 GTX which will soon be obsolete.
TCX X-Five.4 GTX Boots - RevZilla
 
Suhawk, what are your thoughts on TCX sizing? Do they run large or small? Wide or narrow? Solid consideration for my needs and budget friendly!
 
suhawk305 said:
Nice boots but for me, laced boots are not a safe choice. For some reason, I have experienced the boot lace getting caught by the feeler bolt under the foot peg (step).
My main boot is similar to Tex’s. TCX X-5.4 GTX which will soon be obsolete.
TCX X-Five.4 GTX Boots - RevZilla

Funny you bring this up.  I was just talking about this with my wife on our motorcycle trip last week.  --- I have ridden 130,000 miles with laced boots and never once caught them on any part of the bike.  I do take a second to be sure that I'm laced up in without a lot of excess shoestring, but I'm not worried about this as a legitimate safety issue.
 
Gone in 60 said:
Suhawk, what are your thoughts on TCX sizing? Do they run large or small? Wide or narrow? Solid consideration for my needs and budget friendly!

Gone, my shoe size is 10C which is slightly narrow. I bought the boot in size 44 and found that the fit is somewhat wide and long, as a lot of the Revzilla comments suggests. I consider that, when I ordered the boots, since I need room for an arthritic crooked toe. The boots are too wide around my lower leg though. They are definitely waterproof and are hold up well since I purchased them in 2019.

I can’t comment on the replacement TCX model.


emptysea said:
suhawk305 said:
Nice boots but for me, laced boots are not a safe choice. For some reason, I have experienced the boot lace getting caught by the feeler bolt under the foot peg (step).
My main boot is similar to Tex’s. TCX X-5.4 GTX which will soon be obsolete.
TCX X-Five.4 GTX Boots - RevZilla

Funny you bring this up.  I was just talking about this with my wife on our motorcycle trip last week.  --- I have ridden 130,000 miles with laced boots and never once caught them on any part of the bike.  I do take a second to be sure that I'm laced up in without a lot of excess shoestring, but I'm not worried about this as a legitimate safety issue.
I based my preference mainly due an accident l had during March 2017. On a curve, I ran onto winter sand and the bike slid out under me. That foot peg lower bolt caught the lace mid boot and my leg stayed under the bike for the complete slide. I could not free my leg until a Good Samaritan helped me.
That situation maybe rare, but I swore of laced motorcycle boots after that.
 
I've had at least one occasion where a lace go tangled up with a footpeg or the scraper. I have to take responsibility for tidying up the lace properly for riding, but it's much easier wearing boots without laces.
 
Gone in 60 said:
My cheap nature is fighting the fact that now that I ride for a living, I should invest in something nice.

Have you talked to the boss about it?  It's great that he invested in good helmets for the riders.  Why not all the safety gear?  My experience is that an organization that invests in good equipment for its people earns a disproportionate return in the form of loyalty and morale.
 
Lunchbag said:
Gone in 60 said:
My cheap nature is fighting the fact that now that I ride for a living, I should invest in something nice.

Have you talked to the boss about it?  It's great that he invested in good helmets for the riders.  Why not all the safety gear?  My experience is that an organization that invests in good equipment for its people earns a disproportionate return in the form of loyalty and morale.

We've chatted about it, but while helmets and jackets are a simple small-to-extra large choice, boots are quite a bit more complicated, with width, size, etc. He's still getting the business off the ground, and we're doing well. If you look at the rider investment, between the Helite vest, Sena helmet, pants, jacket and gloves, (as well as an iPhone and body camera) it's well over a grand per rider before boots. And boots are the only piece of gear he doesn't provide. I'd rather the next investment go into a shop, so we can put all of our bikes in one place and get better organized for maintenance, cleaning, etc.

Been looking for TCX boots, but finding the outgoing models in very limited size ranges. Trying on as many brands as I can to see what will give an all-day fit. And, so far, my backup Tourmasters, even if they aren't leather, are comfy and doing the job.
 
Back
Top