The Finished Chip Beck Spec CB1100-PHOTOS

Thread starter
Ole_imp said:
Looks fantastic Chip. Only thing I would add is tape off and black out the Honda on the cases.

5a62b4fe8b92dcc8fb77e06125a36dd5.jpg


e864d541a35119d20f2b0ee9cb517608.jpg


a90f1d496c85ee58e50b3e9920b010d6.jpg
Ole,

I thought the same thing but didn't know what kind, if any, type of paint would stick to those hot engine cases long term. I even thought about buying the black lettered cases from the '14 delux. What type of paint did you use? How is it holding up? And did you post a "how to"? Thanks.

Chip
 
Hi Chip. I did not do a "how to". I just taped the letters off with a good painters tape then cut them out with an exacto knife. I did not use special paint I used some John Deere semi gloss rattle can black. It stuck very good and the engine and clutch heat has not affected it yet.
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
Ole_imp said:
Looks fantastic Chip. Only thing I would add is tape off and black out the Honda on the cases.

5a62b4fe8b92dcc8fb77e06125a36dd5.jpg


e864d541a35119d20f2b0ee9cb517608.jpg


a90f1d496c85ee58e50b3e9920b010d6.jpg
Ole,

I thought the same thing but didn't know what kind, if any, type of paint would stick to those hot engine cases long term. I even thought about buying the black lettered cases from the '14 delux. What type of paint did you use? How is it holding up? And did you post a "how to"? Thanks.

Chip
Ole,

I thought the same thing but didn't know what kind, if any, type of paint would stick to those hot engine cases long term. I even thought about buying the black lettered cases from the '14 delux. What type of paint did you use? How is it holding up? And did you post a "how to"? Thanks.

Chip
Mask as required. Rattle can paint is easy to apply. Fine sand the target to get rid of waxes etc and rough up the surface. Etch prime, it's important, then use a high heat enamel. For filling the lettering it doesn't have to be the VHT and can cure "in situ". Clear cote if you think it needs it. Probably doesn't.

This is the type of paint I would use for that job.

ea8c7ee14a9d72e6894feee967777322.jpeg


When I paint the engine covers (stone chips) I use this stuff, below. But it really should be cured in an oven. Heat lamp and 7 days would probably also cure it.

7be6f49fb31110ba09c82835ce055c6d.jpeg


Cheers
 
Thread starter
lash_imp said:
Would Corbin do that seat mod for anyone else or is it exclusive? I really need something like that for the same reasons..
Lash,

Nothing I post is proprietary and anyone can duplicate it. Multiple members here have ordered Chip Beck Spec seats. The changes to their standard offering are... 1. Delete all backrest provisions. 2. Delete the leather flap at the back of the seat. 3. Delete all tuck & roll stitching. 4. No welts. 5. Plain black leather with black sides.

Corbin will tell you that they will not warranty seats without tuck & roll stitching. My seat is almost 2 years old and it's perfect. I've had 5 Corbin seats over the years and none of them have had tuck & roll stitching. The stock seat and K&H seats don't have it either. Cheers.

Chip
 
Looks fantastic. Clean lines. I particularly like the fairing/handlebar setup especially since it sounds like it provides more than just looks.
 
Thanks Chip for the info. I am going to order a seat over the winter and hope they know what I am talking about when I ask for the Chip Beck Spec...
Is your seat wider than stock and do you sit farther back? I am 6'2 so I need the leg room.
 
You know, Chip, I looked, I really did. I wanted to be the pr*ck who took you up on your offer to bag out some element of the bike to test the thickness of your skin; but I can't. You've done a fabulous job and it's a credit to your vision and persistence. You also deserve kudos for your generosity in sharing what you've done and how you've done it.

However, like Ferret I don't get bikes without dead bugs and like EmptySea I reckon it's far, far too clean. Ride4Now, who has the cleanest motorcycle I've ever seen, had better look to his laurels.

Well done.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
You know, Chip, I looked, I really did. I wanted to be the pr*ck who took you up on your offer to bag out some element of the bike to test the thickness of your skin; but I can't. You've done a fabulous job and it's a credit to your vision and persistence. You also deserve kudos for your generosity in sharing what you've done and how you've done it.

However, like Ferret I don't get bikes without dead bugs and like EmptySea I reckon it's far, far too clean. Ride4Now, who has the cleanest motorcycle I've ever seen, had better look to his laurels.

Well done.
Cormanus,

Although my CB11 has exterminated it's share of insects and was sporting a nice collection just an hour before I took those photos, I never let them become a perminant mod. Entomology isn't one of my hobbies so I wash them off on a regular basis. The same day I put this thread up I rode my CB11 just over 150 miles from Scottsdale to Payson, Arizona and back.

I hose my bikes down with a spray nozzle, wipe everything with a sheepskin mit dunked in a bucket of soapy water, hose it again, and then dry it with a soft towel. Start to finish in less than 30 min. Washing my bikes gives me a chance to inspect everything as well. A clean bike is a happy bike and it's also more visually appealing. So it may be bug crusted when I return from a ride but I don't leave it that way for long. Cheers.

Chip
 
The thing that consistently bothers me the most are the discolored header pipes. In my old school brain, they should be shiny.

Thus I read with great interest the jet hot coating. I've been to their website, and very interested in that. Will just be a major improvement to me.
 
Sorry, Chip. I just don't like it. Try as I might, I just can't bring myself to say that I do. I love it. Your modifications are tastefully done, functional and truly compliment what this bike is all about. Thanks for taking the time and putting forth the effort to document and share all that you've done. We're lucky to have you as one of our CB brethren.
 
Thread starter
EGAlvarez_imp said:
Chip,
I really like the little things you did to make the bike look more sleek such as removing the huge tail light, reflectors and turn signals, and adding the lower bars. I can imagine that your bike resembles some of the first few sketches done by the designers before all of the DOT regulations. I also like how the Staintune exhaust has the basic shape and look of stock but smaller.
It really does look nice! IMHO, the only things I would have done differently would have been to paint the Road Comet fairing in red to match the fuel tank and to add one of those nifty billet oil filler caps.
EG,

My initial intention was to order my Road Comet 1 fairing in red to match the tank. I was going to install red side covers as well. Then I saw another member here post a photo of his CB11 wearing a silver Road Comet with no stripes on it that matched the silver side covers which also have no stripes. I really liked that look as the red tank has a silver stripe on it that ties it together so I duplicated his silver faring. I think the faring looks great in red but I like the silver slightly better. I actually have two Road Comet 1 fairings and two sets of side covers. My other side covers and fairing are black with no stripes and I think that combo will look great with the blood red tank too although I haven't put them on to look at it yet. Cheers bro.

Chip
 
Chip,

I have to thank you for all of the great contributions you've made to this forum documenting the work you've done on your CB (which looks wonderful). I myself have been tempted by the black side covers on more than one occasion as I really like the way they look on the bike. In the end, I find that from a visual standpoint the silver side covers boldly say "CB1100" about as much as any other element on the bike. And so they stay. I do love the way that the silver fairing compliments that particular design element.

Bill
 
Back
Top