The end is near

No need to apologize for rambling posts. It's interesting to me how you work through your process. CB looks like it might be staying for a bit longer, which I think is great.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
No need to apologize for rambling posts. It's interesting to me how you work through your process. CB looks like it might be staying for a bit longer, which I think is great.
+1 to that.
 
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
Methinks if rambling posts have been an issue for anyone, they would have left the forum long ago ;)
They certainly don't bother me, I grew up with a father that loved and drove Ramblers :rofl:
 
Thread starter
I just can't bring myself to sell the bike, at least not until I try to make it more comfortable. Riding it today, I really focused on my legs and feet in relation to the pegs. I'm going to try some 360 degree adjustable peg mounts. The MFW Vario look nice, but are currently back ordered until later this month. For about $50, I can get some of the cheap Chinese knock-offs from ebay, but they'll take some time to get here and are of questionable quality. Then, I found some by a company called Cycle Pirates which cracks me up. Theirs seems to be of decent quality with extra adjustability compared to the others. Found them on Amazon through a vendor local to my area, so shipping is quick (have ordered from them before). Here is the manufacturer website:

http://cyclepirates.com/main/select_bikes_from_productline?productline_id=15

Today, I spent some time at the cycle shop sitting on the FJ09 and it really is phenomenal to ride. I also test rode a used Yamaha Super Tenere thinking it would really blow me away and at $7500, would have been a cost effective buy were I to replace both my bikes. I ended being not some impressed. It's a big, comfy, stable ride with a less than refined engine. That's just a lot of displacement for a parallel twin and it feels really lumpy and somewhat unrefined mill. It makes plenty of torque, but runs out of steam quickly. I expected it to be quicker. When I got home, I jumped on my V-strom and it didn't real much slower to the Super T.

So, I decided, at least for now, to stick with the CB. I'll report back on my footpegs once received.
 
It really is a nice motorcycle. When I was riding around yesterday morning I was running as usual in the 3000 rpm range and the bike was right on the verge of that " ready to accelerate" mode, just a few more rpms and it would run like crazy, but at the 3000-3200 rpms I was running it was just so pleasant. Roll back the throttle a little bit for the sharper curves and just throttle out. The torque curve is amazing.

Then again, the other day I had to run down to a city just south of me by 35 miles and jumped on the freeway and thought " this bike loves to run at 70 mph". All the horsepower I need.

What more can one ask for? Great looking, comfortable ergos, great motor, great brakes, great transmission. Just a great motorcycle. Hope you can make yours comfortable for you.
 
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
My grandpa had a Hudson Hornet, my uncle had a Rambler Rebel V8, another uncle had an AMC Marlin and I had an AMC Hornet SST.
Ramble on ;)
My father bought a Gremlin when they first came out and I remember him saying that " it had a good engine because it had 7 main bearings " . Funny the useless info that you remember from childhood.
 
Chapomis_imp said:
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
My grandpa had a Hudson Hornet, my uncle had a Rambler Rebel V8, another uncle had an AMC Marlin and I had an AMC Hornet SST.
Ramble on ;)
My father bought a Gremlin when they first came out and I remember him saying that " it had a good engine because it had 7 main bearings " . Funny the useless info that you remember from childhood.
Yeh, I had an uncle whose sage advice was, "Never fart in a lift (elevator)". He never said anything else as remotely sensible as that.

Cheers
 
hmmm.. seems like a cheap way to try the taller saddle idea might be to put some cushions on top of the seat and try riding around like that for a while.. definitely a pain getting and off, since the cushions have to be positioned, but way cheaper than springing for a new or used seat that may or may not make a difference (?)

Way back when, I had gotten a new left over 1100 shadow.. my back was killing me and I was torn about having to give it up because I couldn't ride it.. the cushion idea made no difference.. what ended up making the bike rideable was a rider backrest so that my lower back was no longer taking all the strain... viole ! instant friendly bike... later ended up taking a month long ride around the outside of the US on that bike.. no back problems !
 
gossman_imp said:
I'm 6'4" with a 18 year old hip replacement and another hip that is getting close to being replaced. I rode a Suzuki and a Harley Road King before I went to the CB 1100 as an alternative. None are comfortable to me after 45 minutes, I just have to limit my riding to an hour at a time, if longer I stop and take a quick walk around to get some movement in my legs. For me, the only real alternative if I want comfort is probably a trike. I just love the easy handling of the CB in comparison to my last motorcycles. We each have to find what fits us, I wish you the best in your search.
If you look at trikes, take a look at the new Can-Am F3. The F3 is the sport model but has very very adjustable pegs. The pegs are mounted on outer rails so you can put them ANYWHERE you like within the context of the rods that attach to the controls (they have a variety for this purpose). I loved the F3 position adjustability. I have the touring model Spyder RT (2010) for two-up riding and bought it after a previous Goldwing Roadsmith trike.
 
Thread starter
I have been playing with different adjustments on my pegs and thanks to forum member wiredgeorge sending me a message with some helpful advice, I am optimistic about finding some much needed comfort on the bike.

What I perceived to be the biggest issue actually was a simple fix. The side stand tab that was in the way needed to be bent down about an inch. It makes flicking the stand down a little awkward, but nothing I can't live with. That let's me position my shifter and footpeg just right on that side without the side stand tab impeding my boot moving around.

It was the brake pedal adjustment that was perplexing me. Wiredgeorge suggested changing the length of the push rod that actuate the plunger in the master cylinder. In my case, the rod is too long and bottoms out on the brake arm. I got my shop manual so I could see what parts are there and how I might go about altering the push rod shaft:



As you can see, the rod interfaces with the piston and is held in by a circlip. It also means that I can't simply remove it since that's what retains the piston and all the brake fluid. Cutting a small amount of threads off the bottom is the only way I could see to gain some additional adjustment. Cut too much off and I risk leaving too little space for the lock nut. Out came the dremel and cut off disc. I took 1/8 inch off and that ended up just about right. Could have gone 1/16 more, but better to cut too little off.

The last challenge came when I needed a very thin wrench to spin the threaded rod the last few turns. As you can see, not much space between the space between the 10 mm nut at the top of the push rod and the 12 mm lock nut is minimal which is due to me trimming that little bit off the bottom:

[url=http://s960.photobucket.com/user/Pflugerville_Bike_Guy/media/20150621_140035_zpsrpnz3mul.jpg.html]

I looked around for something I could use. I have a set of really thin wrenches used for adjusting bicycle hubs, but the smallest size I have is 11mm. The head of the wrench is really big, so it probably wouldn't have allowed me any room to swing the wrench. Crud, I'll have to make my own. Grabbed some scrap aluminum and went to work with the dremel tool. Got the basic shape cut out when I went to change bits and grabbed the little wrench used for tightening the collet. Doh! That's a 10mm wrench. I had an extra one from my recently deceased dremel tool, so I cut the little flat blade tip off so it fit in the small space better. Bam!

[url=http://s960.photobucket.com/user/Pflugerville_Bike_Guy/media/1434913782403_zpsmhfnywus.jpg.html]

It's been raining off and on today, but it stopped long enough for the roads to dry and I snuck out for a spin around the block. The peg position is at full extension oriented 45 degrees down and aft. While not roomy to the extent of say my V-strom, it's noticeably better than before. The shifter is adjusted and very comfy to operate. The brake is still a tad high, but not awkward. I just have to lightly lift pressure off the peg and swing my toe over on top of the pedal. I'll stick with that and see how it goes with a proper ride. So far, so good.

Thanks again wiredgeorge!
 
Back
Top