The Difference Between 5th and 6th Gear

BugSpatteredJacket_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Afternoon,

I wanted to inquire if anyone can confirm if their is a substantial difference in savings regarding gasoline mpg between the 2013 5 speed CB 1100 and the 2014 6 Speed CB1100. According to Ferret he "actually got better gas mileage with the 13 than the 14 due to gearing and weight."

I know that generally the 6th speed does save on gas and is kinder to the engine but I reckon the prices of the 2013 will be hit hard in my neck of the woods as a result of the 2014 6th gear. So if there isn't that much of a savings, if at all, regarding 6th gear I'd just as happily save some money and get the 5 speed they have going for sell.

:thanks:

P.S. FYI we only get the standard model, no deluxe in Canada! They did however throw us the 6th gear as compensation I guess. :-/
 
Sixth gear alone isn't going to make much difference unless you commute long long distances on highways at cruising speed. Who buys an unfaired retro for that job?

This bike to me is a fun toy. Five gears are perfectly fine. I ride in fourth more than fifth for the control and engine braking it offers. Fifth feels too tall for the tight twisty roads I ride on.

I feel the marketing of the extra gear as a fuel saving device are a little far fetched. Just ride that damn thing and enjoy it!

Plus our fuel is twice or more the price of yours in the USA so don't worry.
 
BSJ... It isn't much different, and my 14 is still breaking in. I actually got better mileage on my first 2 tanks on the 14 (about 50) than the mileage on the first 2 tanks on the 13 ( about 48) But my mileage got better and better on the 13 as it broke in, to the point where I was getting 54-55 mpg. I'm at 50 on the 14 with 641 miles on it, and suspect the mileage will also go up on it as the motor breaks in and frees up. At approx 2000 miles on the motor, I will have a good idea of what kind of mileage to expect from then on.
 
The fuel mileage is going to be a function of a few more things than just outright gearing. If the '14 motor can push the bike along at the exact same speed under the same conditions, with the same fueling and exact same throttle opening, then you'll save gas. But as the '14 weighs more, and undoubtedly has more drag due to the larger tank, twin exhausts, and other physical differences, it probably needs just as much fuel per mile as the '13, maybe even more.

We can get more fuel efficiency from aerodynamic changes than any other single thing, and the 2014 has moved a little more in the direction of a barn door as far as air molecules are concerned.

I wondered about the fuel efficiency issue; the six-speed is really providing a closer ratio transmission, which is helpful when the motorcycle weighs more. A lighter bike can get away with having a wide-ratio tranny as the engine can pull it with the available torque and lower revolutions. A bike that's 30 pounds heftier will be more rideable with more closely-spaced gear ratios.

Also the 0-60 times, roll-on performance, and so on are going to be better for the lighter 2013 version.

For me, the 2013 is just at the weight where if it were any bigger and heavier, I'd have taken a pass. Even ten pounds more would have been too much. As it is, it strikes a very nice balance of stability, style, comfort, and performance.
 
Red Mist_imp said:
The fuel mileage is going to be a function of a few more things than just outright gearing. If the '14 motor can push the bike along at the exact same speed under the same conditions, with the same fueling and exact same throttle opening, then you'll save gas. But as the '14 weighs more, and undoubtedly has more drag due to the larger tank, twin exhausts, and other physical differences, it probably needs just as much fuel per mile as the '13, maybe even more.

We can get more fuel efficiency from aerodynamic changes than any other single thing, and the 2014 has moved a little more in the direction of a barn door as far as air molecules are concerned.

I wondered about the fuel efficiency issue; the six-speed is really providing a closer ratio transmission, which is helpful when the motorcycle weighs more. A lighter bike can get away with having a wide-ratio tranny as the engine can pull it with the available torque and lower revolutions. A bike that's 30 pounds heftier will be more rideable with more closely-spaced gear ratios.

Also the 0-60 times, roll-on performance, and so on are going to be better for the lighter 2013 version.

For me, the 2013 is just at the weight where if it were any bigger and heavier, I'd have taken a pass. Even ten pounds more would have been too much. As it is, it strikes a very nice balance of stability, style, comfort, and performance.
Unless the rider of the 14 weighs 35 pounds less than the rider of the 13


You have to take bike and rider as a combo ;)
 
Red Mist_imp said:
The fuel mileage is going to be a function of a few more things than just outright gearing. If the '14 motor can push the bike along at the exact same speed under the same conditions, with the same fueling and exact same throttle opening, then you'll save gas. But as the '14 weighs more, and undoubtedly has more drag due to the larger tank, twin exhausts, and other physical differences, it probably needs just as much fuel per mile as the '13, maybe even more.

We can get more fuel efficiency from aerodynamic changes than any other single thing, and the 2014 has moved a little more in the direction of a barn door as far as air molecules are concerned.

I wondered about the fuel efficiency issue; the six-speed is really providing a closer ratio transmission, which is helpful when the motorcycle weighs more. A lighter bike can get away with having a wide-ratio tranny as the engine can pull it with the available torque and lower revolutions. A bike that's 30 pounds heftier will be more rideable with more closely-spaced gear ratios.

Also the 0-60 times, roll-on performance, and so on are going to be better for the lighter 2013 version.

For me, the 2013 is just at the weight where if it were any bigger and heavier, I'd have taken a pass. Even ten pounds more would have been too much. As it is, it strikes a very nice balance of stability, style, comfort, and performance.
Which is what I was trying to say, but rushed by my other half who was serving food, I forgot to be as eloquent as Red Master! :-/
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Red Mist_imp said:
The fuel mileage is going to be a function of a few more things than just outright gearing. If the '14 motor can push the bike along at the exact same speed under the same conditions, with the same fueling and exact same throttle opening, then you'll save gas. But as the '14 weighs more, and undoubtedly has more drag due to the larger tank, twin exhausts, and other physical differences, it probably needs just as much fuel per mile as the '13, maybe even more.

We can get more fuel efficiency from aerodynamic changes than any other single thing, and the 2014 has moved a little more in the direction of a barn door as far as air molecules are concerned.

I wondered about the fuel efficiency issue; the six-speed is really providing a closer ratio transmission, which is helpful when the motorcycle weighs more. A lighter bike can get away with having a wide-ratio tranny as the engine can pull it with the available torque and lower revolutions. A bike that's 30 pounds heftier will be more rideable with more closely-spaced gear ratios.

Also the 0-60 times, roll-on performance, and so on are going to be better for the lighter 2013 version.

For me, the 2013 is just at the weight where if it were any bigger and heavier, I'd have taken a pass. Even ten pounds more would have been too much. As it is, it strikes a very nice balance of stability, style, comfort, and performance.
Which is what I was trying to say, but rushed by my other half who was serving food, I forgot to be as eloquent as Red Master! :-/
Which is what I was trying to say, but rushed by my other half who was serving food, I forgot to be as eloquent as Red Master! :-/ :thanks:
 
Thread starter
All valid points. I appreciate the input. Part of me is just hung up on the idea of 6 speeds more so than the reality of it I suppose. Kinda of annoyed with Honda for doing this... :P

Oh, btw, I'M the kinda guy who buys an unfaired retro for commuting... :thumbsup: I use to ride daily to and from Carlow to Dublin in Irish rainy weather and honestly, I found the windshields to be more of a hindrance at times in lieu of visibility and cross winds, etc...

That being said, my commute in Canada has shrunk considerably and thus, this CB really will fit the bill nicely. I am loving this forum and loving all of the positive reviews for this bike. Though, I have a sneaking suspicion that this bike wont be available in Canada for very long. Just a hunch so I am hoping to pick one asap. Again...

:thanks:
 
BugSpatteredJacket_imp said:
All valid points. I appreciate the input. Part of me is just hung up on the idea of 6 speeds more so than the reality of it I suppose. Kinda of annoyed with Honda for doing this... :P

Oh, btw, I'M the kinda guy who buys an unfaired retro for commuting... :thumbsup: I use to ride daily to and from Carlow to Dublin in Irish rainy weather and honestly, I found the windshields to be more of a hindrance at times in lieu of visibility and cross winds, etc...

That being said, my commute in Canada has shrunk considerably and thus, this CB really will fit the bill nicely. I am loving this forum and loving all of the positive reviews for this bike. Though, I have a sneaking suspicion that this bike wont be available in Canada for very long. Just a hunch so I am hoping to pick one asap. Again...

:thanks:

You're welcome. Enjoy your 2013 Honda CB1100 'Fuel Saver - Ultra Lite Edition' before they're all snapped up by speculators and investors!
:excited:
 
Just wanted to note that the Canadian 2014 Standard (the only one available in the country) is a six speed. Interesting to see what Honda thinks are the wants and needs of buyers in different countries.
 
I guess the 14 std is the best of both worlds..lightweight and a 6 speed ...
 
Thread starter
Yeah, though oddly enough the guy at the Honda dealer today listed the 2014 model as a 5 speed. When I called to confirm he couldn't tell me what it actually was despite the fact that Honda.ca its listed as 6. I reckon he just isn't too familiar with the specs of the 2014. That being said, I asked originally not because of the Deluxe but because the 2013's here will probably be marked down severely given that the 2014 models have 6 speed.

Oh, he hasn't even bothered ordering a 2014 model just yet either! I have no stats to go one but the impression I am getting is that the bike isn't really selling here much unfortunately. But I agree Dale, it is strange how Honda is making such a strange decision based on two countries that shares a border like ours do. That being said though, other than the Deluxe seat that I would love to buy eventually I am quite happy with our home model, just not the price compared to the USA!
 
It's like this: fuel mileage is mostly the rider and how he rides. I don't know the weight difference between 13 & 14 but says its. 60 lbs. the better rider on either bike could out run the other guy on either bike ! Very few guys that ride could tell the weight difference. But when you add another gear it's a better bike I never rode. A 13 but I know there great bikes but they would be better with a. 6 gear. I have a 2012 st1300 5 speed and to me it would be so much better with a 6 speed. Lots of guys have the 13 model and if your happy with it keep it but for some one looking to buy a cb you have to decide if you want the 13 or 14 both great bikes so buy what you want. 6 speed is better but for the price that's up to the buyer. I could of got a new 13 a standard 14 but I wanted the 14 deluxe and I love it.
Michael
 
Bug,

All the salesman has to do is look down by the shift lever and see how many gears are molded into the cover...
 
BugSpatteredJacket_imp said:
All valid points. I appreciate the input. Part of me is just hung up on the idea of 6 speeds more so than the reality of it I suppose. Kinda of annoyed with Honda for doing this... :P

Oh, btw, I'M the kinda guy who buys an unfaired retro for commuting... :thumbsup: I use to ride daily to and from Carlow to Dublin in Irish rainy weather and honestly, I found the windshields to be more of a hindrance at times in lieu of visibility and cross winds, etc...

That being said, my commute in Canada has shrunk considerably and thus, this CB really will fit the bill nicely. I am loving this forum and loving all of the positive reviews for this bike. Though, I have a sneaking suspicion that this bike wont be available in Canada for very long. Just a hunch so I am hoping to pick one asap. Again...

:thanks:
In reality I sometimes forget to put her in 5th at speed on the freeway. This means I'm cruising comfortably in 4th at 110km/h without realising it.

Honestly, the only thing I would be interested in as an upgrade would be the new instrument panel or the colour co-ordinated side panels. 6th gear would not even be on the list.

BTW, just went for a 3.5 hour ride in the hills with speeds from 60-110 km/h. The bike is simply superb. Almost 12000kms on the clock and it's just starting to feel run in. The sound from the Staintune is glorious, and I find myself just cruising at speed in third to keep her in the 5000 RPM range for sound and torque. Anyway, I need to start taking some photos as the Adelaide Hills are starting to look fantastic with Autumn leaves on the trees...5 speeds or 6 doesn't really matter, just get on one*

*Disclaimer: the poster is a horribly biased, happy CB1100 owner.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Bug,

All the salesman has to do is look down by the shift lever and see how many gears are molded into the cover...
:rofl: I did mention this to him but he hasn't even bothered to order a 2014 for this year yet...which makes me wonder if he will even bother given that the season has already started and he hasn't sold the 13 yet.

Rideme32 - I agree with you. My dilemma comes down to cost. The 2013 will have to be slashed pretty hard up here in lieu of the improvement to the 2014. Honda did something similar when they re-released the new Civic for 2013 after heavy criticism and low sales of the 2012 Civic, at least in my neck of the woods anyways.
 
I just got a leftover 2013 and have found myself trying to shift from 5th into....more 5th a few times. I'm sure I'll get used to it, and getting almost 2000 off the sticker really helps. I haven't ridden too much because of the weather, but riding home from the dealer (43f, blowing like crazy) I kept thinking 'I love this thing, but man I'm freezing...but I love this thing' Can't wait for better weather!
 
Congrats and welcome cosmos! its pretty common to keep searching for the next higher gears, no matter what you are riding. on my 6 speed bikes I kept looking for 7th lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
I guess the 14 std is the best of both worlds..lightweight and a 6 speed ...
I was disappointed when I saw the '14 Std at the dealer last Saturday. It looked so cool in the photos will everything blacked out, but in person it didn't really come off. I still think it's a café racer waiting to happen, and maybe it'd look better with a fairing and tailpiece, but as it sits on the dealer floor I'd much rather have a '13.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I guess the 14 std is the best of both worlds..lightweight and a 6 speed ...
I was disappointed when I saw the '14 Std at the dealer last Saturday. It looked so cool in the photos will everything blacked out, but in person it didn't really come off. I still think it's a café racer waiting to happen, and maybe it'd look better with a fairing and tailpiece, but as it sits on the dealer floor I'd much rather have a '13.
I was disappointed when I saw the '14 Std at the dealer last Saturday. It looked so cool in the photos will everything blacked out, but in person it didn't really come off. I still think it's a café racer waiting to happen, and maybe it'd look better with a fairing and tailpiece, but as it sits on the dealer floor I'd much rather have a '13.
I agree, I saw one at Riva and was disappointed. May be the lighting in the showroom...I would have preferred black matte on the motor...
 
Back
Top