The Coronavirus Chronicles -Three Strikes You're Out

Being optimistic, my wife booked a cabin in Pigeon Forge, TN mid June for the family, then I hope to trailer over the mountains to Cherokee, NC for a few days.

I see TN has relaxed restrictions slightly...now just need NC to do the same.

Fingers crossed this lets up by then.
 
Did my first decent length local ride today in about a month. Good times. Felt really comfortable but missed a shift or two when goosing it a bit - couldn't match the revs like usual. Got some catching up to do.
 
read this and found it funny (all in jest, please don't take offense)



Virus ALERT

The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent virus threat and have therefore raised their threat level from “Miffed” to “Peeved.”
Soon, though, level may be raised yet again to “Irritated” or even “A Bit Cross.”
The English have not been “A Bit Cross” since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies nearly ran out.
The virus itself has been re-categorized from “Tiresome” to “A Bloody Nuisance.”
The last time the British issued a “Bloody Nuisance” warning level was in 1588, when threatened by the Spanish Armada...

The Scots have raised their threat level from “Pi**ed Off” to “Let's Get the Bast**d.”
They don't have any other levels.
This is the reason they have been used on the front line of the British army for the last 300 years...

The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its alert level from “Run” to “Hide.”
The only two higher levels in France are “Collaborate” and “Surrender.”
The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralyzing the country's military capability.

Italy has increased the alert level from “Shout Loudly and Excitedly” to “Elaborate Military Posturing.”
Two more levels remain: “Ineffective Combat Operations” and “Change Sides.”

The Germans have increased their alert state from “Disdainful Arrogance” to “Dress in Uniform and Sing Marching Songs.”
They also have two higher levels: “Invade a Neighbour” and “Lose.”
Other sources report the situation in Germany has grown so serious, that they have started putting beach towels on hospital beds.

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual; the only threat they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels.

The Spanish are all excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy.
These beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so the new Spanish navy can get a really good look at the old Spanish navy.

Australia, meanwhile, has raised its alert level from “No worries” to “She'll be alright, Mate.”
Two more escalation levels remain: “Crikey! I think we'll need to cancel the barbie this weekend!” and “The barbie is cancelled.”
So far, no situation has ever warranted use of the final escalation level.

The Russians have said “Its not us”
 
"Ontario says its plan to ease restrictions introduced because of the COVID-19 pandemic will happen in three stages, though the steps unveiled today contain few specifics or timelines.

Stage one in the framework published today could include opening select workplaces, opening parks, allowing for more people at certain events such as funerals and having hospitals resume some non-urgent surgeries.

Stage two could include opening more businesses, more outdoor spaces, and allowing some larger public gatherings.

Stage three would include having all workplaces open and further relaxing rules on public gatherings — though large ones such as sports events and concerts would still be restricted." *

*Source: Toronto Star
 
I heard today some saying today, those that are under 18 are largely unaffected so maybe they could reopen schools.

I keep waiting for someone to remind the there are over 3 million teachers in the US and the average age is 42 :-;
 
Any age group is still possible to be carrier... My personal opinion will be should keep everything closed until a defined cluster can be identified. Imagine a single child, got infected, go to school, mingle around with school mates and infected 20 school children, each of these 20 children bring the virus home and infect the high risk family member....
Malaysia had enter Day 42 of movement control. I started riding to work yesterday after government announce another additional 14 days control (It should have ended today). And I notice my riding skill are getting rusty in just 42 days. I am wondering will accident rates suddenly jump up when the public are allowed to move freely again after this, everyone seems to forget how to drive and how to ride after being lock down for so long......
 
There's a major debate going on in Australia right now about whether or not to reopen schools. I think I understood the expert medical advice to be that not only are children not greatly affected by COVID-19 but there's little evidence that they transmit the disease either to other students or to teachers. This is quite unlike the 'flu, for which children are super carriers. However, teachers are—rightly—still a little uneasy. The media is not helping by constantly looking for conflict rather than expert advice. If, however, that advice is correct, schools could reopen, provided teachers were careful about social distancing from other adults.

This article sheds some light on the matter.
 
This thread is huge so I've not read it all, however just scanning the last page or so I was struck by what Cormanus said about the media constantly looking for conflict. Absolutely spot on. Probably every region of the world has someone with a CB and we can shine a light on this practice on the forum. This morning on breakfast TV the presenter said ' now, I don't want to worry you but ......' and then went on to tell us about the latest scare story, about 20-30 children ( out of something like 20 million under 16 year olds BTW) that have become extremely ill and they are possibly linking this to Corona. Then went on to list all the possible symptoms which to be fair, every poorly kid with any illness would likely have. I turned the TV off and put music on instead. The press cannot help itself ramp everything up and cuss stir. I am taking this very seriously but have decided to watch the news once a day. Otherwise it just gets all too much.
 
Houtman, you no doubt enjoyed one particular sketch from this past Saturday Night Live.
 
29th of April 2020

"The fact that there’s a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven tells you about the anticipated levels of traffic to each."

Time for some lock down music, vocals by Bon.

Link to ACDC highway to hell, released in 1976 original film clip.


Regards NRTM
 
Our Governor just extended the stay at home order until may 29. Now called" Stay Safe Ohio order"

My tires are going to last a long time at this rate
 
Starting this Monday, our Premier's reopening some businesses: car dealers, marinas, golf clubs, nurseries, landscapers, car washes, some constructions ..
...and two Forum members ('14 & '17) + 1 more are going on a longer/500 kms trip :banana:
 
The ferret_imp said:
Our Governor just extended the stay at home order until may 29. Now called" Stay Safe Ohio order"

My tires are going to last a long time at this rate
What does that mean, really? In Kentucky it seems to mean stay home if you're infected, think you're infected, or live with someone who is infected or thinks they're infected. If the foregoing doesn't apply, you're free to leave home.
 
Stichill...it means in Ohio if you are not an essential worker, or headed to grocery, pharmacy or check on an elderly person or to a park to exercise, technically you are supposed to stay in your residence. Actually in the new order I can't even find where it's alright to go to the park, but I believe you are

you can read the order here

https://www.nbc4i.com/community/hea...-order-extended-until-may-29-with-exceptions/
 
Quote:17. Intent of this Order. The intent of this Order is to ensure that the maximum number of people self-isolate in their places of residence to the maximum extent feasible, while enabling additional day to day activities to continue, to slow the spread of to the greatest extent possible. When people need to leave their places of residence to perform or to otherwise facilitate authorized activities necessary for continuity of social and commercial life, they should at all times and as much as reasonably possible comply with Social Distancing Requirements. All provisions of this Order should be interpreted to effectuate this intent.
Strict.
 
ferret, I think your escape clause is: "When people need to leave their places of residence to perform or to otherwise facilitate authorized activities necessary for continuity of social and commercial life."

Police: "Where are you going on your beautifully restored but very dirty vintage Honda, sir?"

ferret: "Thank you Officer, but it's actually a late-model motorcycle and I like riding it but I don't like washing it. Pursuant to paragraph 17 of Ohio's Stay Safe Order, I need to leave my place of residence to perform or to otherwise facilitate authorized activities necessary for continuity of social and commercial life. So, Officer, as you can see I'm well aware of my civic duties and am absolutely complying with the order."
 
A COVID game. Add the next part of the conversation ...

Stichill_imp said:
ferret, I think your escape clause is: "When people need to leave their places of residence to perform or to otherwise facilitate authorized activities necessary for continuity of social and commercial life."

Police: "Where are you going on your beautifully restored but very dirty vintage Honda, sir?"

ferret: "Thank you Officer, but it's actually a late-model motorcycle and I like riding it but I don't like washing it. Pursuant to paragraph 17 of Ohio's Stay Safe Order, I need to leave my place of residence to perform or to otherwise facilitate authorized activities necessary for continuity of social and commercial life. So, Officer, as you can see I'm well aware of my civic duties and am absolutely complying with the order."
Police: "Mmm. It is a lovely bike and it's clear to me that you've carefully perused the order which is indeed commendable. But, I wonder whether you would mind explaining the social or commercial life being facilitated by your presence on the road today?"
 
Stichill_imp said:
ferret, I think your escape clause is: "When people need to leave their places of residence to perform or to otherwise facilitate authorized activities necessary for continuity of social and commercial life."

Police: "Where are you going on your beautifully restored but very dirty vintage Honda, sir?"

ferret: "Thank you Officer, but it's actually a late-model motorcycle and I like riding it but I don't like washing it. Pursuant to paragraph 17 of Ohio's Stay Safe Order, I need to leave my place of residence to perform or to otherwise facilitate authorized activities necessary for continuity of social and commercial life. So, Officer, as you can see I'm well aware of my civic duties and am absolutely complying with the order."
:rofl:
 
Back
Top