The Cormanus Chronicles: Carnarvon Gorge

Cormanus

Administrator
Staff member
Thread starter
Day 1
ef21cd23e15f90d748a47b892d15567d.png

Map of Day 1. As usual, a map of the entire ride can be found here. Those interested in maps and things can toggle days, zoom in and out and play with all the other fun gadgets Google has given us.

Not being a morning person makes the idea of getting up early for a long day’s ride decidedly unappealing. Perversely, though, when I actually do it, I enjoy it. When, early in September just after 0600, I found myself heading south on the motorway out of Brisbane, looking at the traffic on the other side of the road starting to bank up, my spirits lifted. Perhaps it has more to do with setting out on the prepared-for ride then being up early. Who knows?

After 40 minutes or so, I pulled into a service station, filled the bike and met my riding companions. There was even time for a quick cup of coffee before the scheduled stand raising at 0700.



Mandatory bike inspection before stands-up. JoshKTM has acquired a KTM1290 sinc last we rode together

The tour leader was again the redoubtable Valvoline (previously encountered in [URL=https://cb1100forum.net/threads/70273/]a 2019 chronicle). My other companion was JoshKTM, similarly a participant in the earlier escapade. We would be joined late in the day by Valvoline’s partner, Captain Coleman or CC. He had been off into the wilds of the Australian desert doing serious riding on sand and dirt a long, long way from anywhere.

Valvoline quickly made clear that we had better than 700 kms to travel and, even though the roads would mostly be flat and straight, we needed to get our skates on and maintain a solid cruising speed. On her KTM 390 (known fondly as The Lawnmower), Valvoline sets a cracking pace. We were duly under way at 0700. Within minutes we were on the motorway heading west.

The feature of the early part of the day was the relatively new Toowoomba by-pass which makes the climb up the Great Dividing Range much easier and quicker. It also avoids a large town.

There was one memorable sight. I’m pleased I photographed it. Who’d believe me if I just said I’d seen a pink elephant?



How good is the electronic cruise control on the KTM?

After that, we were into flat country.


We stopped in Chincilla to inspect the Big Watermelon.

See [url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia%27s_big_things]Australia’s Big Things

And I saw a truck big enough to delight my grandson.


On the other side of the road, it’s pretty flat too.


We stopped to inspect Roma’s Largest Bottle Tree.


After lunch at Roma we turned north for the final leg that would take us to Carnarvon Gorge. The last petrol stop is at a place called Injune, some 150 kms from the gorge. My CB might—just might—make 300 kms on a very good day. If I left Takarakka (the place we stayed) and headed north to Rolleston, I’d have another 102 kms to travel. With daily rides (albeit only about 3 kms) from Takarakka to the entrance to the gorge, I was not prepared to risk not being able to get to either Injune or Rolleston and so, for the first time, packed an old 5-litre jerry can.

As I started to fill it in Injune, I realised fuel was leaking from a small hole in the bottom. Luckily the service station had another and I was safe to carry on.

After that we found a bottle tree in Injune. I liked it better than the one in Roma because it was in the garden of the bottle shop.


We added CC to the team at the entrance to the road into Takarakka and Carnarvon Gorge. The road in had corners, pretty much the first motorcycling excitement for the day. We arrived shortly before 5 pm and were able to set up camp in time for darkness to fall.


3 KTMs and a solitary Honda
 
:)

It’s 0600 as I read this chapter of the Cor-Chro. I enjoy waking early and particularly so on riding mornings. Today would be a riding morning were it not for the lack of a ride as my CB1100 is probably sitting on a lift awaiting a service technician to resume his task of isolating and repairing the high idle problem it has. Your account of your recent trip could not have been posted at a better time as it has raised my own spirits in what might be described as the opposite way yours were as you headed out.

About that pink elephant...

“ One morning, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.” - Captain Spaulding
 
3 KTMs on one trip led by a 390? Amazing.
 
Impressed... a real CB1100 Travel Blogger. I need to take you on my next cross country trip. You can train me. Thanks for sharing your Australian journey :)
 
Great that you always use that same subject line, Cormanus.
This way all your chronicles are always just when 'search' away.

Does anybody (I thing ferret/GO, etc.) do similar write-ups in the U.S., and I just haven't seen it yet ?
 
j3gq_imp said:
Great that you always use that same subject line, Cormanus.
This way all your chronicles are always just when 'search' away.

Does anybody (I thing ferret/GO, etc.) do similar write-ups in the U.S., and I just haven't seen it yet ?
Sadly, :( no CB1100 excursions for me to the U.S.
 
Cormanus, I really enjoy your chronicles. Masterpiece of riding reports. Makes me feel like I was in Australia myself.
 
Thread starter
Day 2

It rained during the night which was fine as my tent kept me dry. The day dawned OK, although further showers were promised for the afternoon. It’s 20 kilometres to walk to the end of Carnarvon Gorge and back. My companions are considerably younger and healthier than me and a great deal fitter as well, so I shooed them off thinking I’d stroll a couple of kilometres along the trail into the park and back and otherwise have an easy day.

Carnarvon Gorge is what its name says: a valley between two escarpments of around 600 metres high. There’s a pretty stream that runs through the valley. When there’s serious rain, it becomes a serious river and is probably uncrossable. The track winds along the valley and there are side-walks to a number of interesting and scenic natural attractions. I figured my general lack of fitness and a dodgy knee meant I’d maybe make it to the second of these and then head back for a rest.

Carnarvon Gorge

As it turned out I enjoyed myself so much I walked in as far as the Art Gallery, a return walk of around 11 kms.

My wife says I take too many photos. She’s probably right, but in these digital days it’s no longer an indulgence, I’m not a great photographer and I generally apply the method Tom Lehrer set out in the The Huntng Song, “You just stand there looking cute, and when something moves you shoot”. I reckon, if I press the button often enough, I ought to get the occasional good shot. To keep her happy, though, I reduced the two days at the park to less than 20 photos. Here they are.

The start of the walking track






The western escarpment


The climb to the entrance to the Amphitheatre


The entrance at the top of the steps


The western walls of the Amphitheatre

The Amphitheatre was formed by erosion over a long time. A sandstone core has somehow eroded away leaving an amazingly tranquil canyon that can be accessed only though a narrow cut through the rocks. The information sign tells how entertaining it can be during a flash flood.


Having been totally amazed by the Amphitheatre, I decided Ward’s Canyon was not too far away and that I should be able to make the extra distance. I’m glad I did. It was well worth it; perhaps the prettiest feature I saw.


Waterfall at the entrance to Ward’s Canyon


Pretty rock in the creek at the bottom of the waterfall

Ward’s canyon is escribed as a ‘time capsule’. It is the last place in central Queensland where the ancient king fern survives. I heard a naturalist type in the canyon talking in terms of them being 10,000,000 years old. They can’t survive without water as they have no woody tissue: water fills their fronds exerting outward pressure to keep them rigid. Like a fire hose, says the sign. It also says the fronds can grow up to five metres in length, placing them amongst the largest of the world’s ferns. In some ways they are less prepossessing than the tree ferns in the canyon which have very long, straight trunks supporting their leafy canopy.


A king fern

Inspired again, I decided to press on for an extra kilometre or so and look at the Art Gallery

Australian indigenous art on the rock face in the Art Gallery. The colour comes from ochre and the images tell stories of the use of the site by Aboriginals.

So as not to exceed the photo limit, Ill pause here and take a word or two from non-existent sponsors.
 
j3gq_imp said:
Great that you always use that same subject line, Cormanus.
This way all your chronicles are always just when 'search' away.

Does anybody (I thing ferret/GO, etc.) do similar write-ups in the U.S., and I just haven't seen it yet ?
Empty Sea does some pretty good ones.

I take lots of pics but am rather reticent in the writing department (which is funny since I used to be a freelance writer and an Associate Editor in the bow hunting industry with dozens of published stories and a book to my credit.... guess I got burned out on writing. Still enjoy taking pics though and will take 600-1000 pics on a week long trip)
 
@Cormanus
Really, really nice !
GoldOxide_imp said:
j3gq_imp said:
Great that you always use that same subject line, Cormanus.
This way all your chronicles are always just when 'search' away.

Does anybody (I thing ferret/GO, etc.) do similar write-ups in the U.S., and I just haven't seen it yet ?
Sadly, :( no CB1100 excursions for me to the U.S.
Sadly, :( no CB1100 excursions for me to the U.S.
Would you let us know where So-on is, at least on which continent (in case it's a secret.
 
j3gq_imp said:
@Cormanus
Really, really nice !
GoldOxide_imp said:
j3gq_imp said:
Great that you always use that same subject line, Cormanus.
This way all your chronicles are always just when 'search' away.

Does anybody (I thing ferret/GO, etc.) do similar write-ups in the U.S., and I just haven't seen it yet ?
Sadly, :( no CB1100 excursions for me to the U.S.
Sadly, :( no CB1100 excursions for me to the U.S.
Would you let us know where So-on is, at least on which continent (in case it's a secret.
It is actually play off of "SoCal", "NoVa", etc.

So: Southern
ON: Province of Ontario

"So-ON" or "SoON", but the latter looks like "soon" and is not as cool as "SoCal".

= = =

Land area wise:

Ontario is about 12.8 x the size of Austria.

Southern Ontario (whatever) is about 1.67 x the size of Austria.
 
Thread starter
Day 2 cont.

I'd walked far enough, so I turned around and headed out.
42c305f05fdb6d19fb41a8afbd3e3b9a.jpg

This kangaroo barely interrupted his eating to check me out

1db7a5c3276f42861a2dd3932c79645f.jpg

A scarlet percher dragonfly

Because this is a motorcycle forum, here is an obligatory bike picture. The BMW below was jammed amongst all sorts of camping and exercise gear.
7976712d7504548f8ea79972c1ae8077.jpg


Later, back the camp site, we were enjoying a recuperative ale or two when this echidna popped out for a photo op.
39e190c4afa9970f2920a058173190b3.jpg


6097bd10b73fd3bbb33f1b1935ea60a7.jpg

A currawong

Day 3

Another day of walking. This time only as far as the Moss Garden, another amazingly tranquil oasis of water and green.
5a10446cd5514ba50d124db439c99d98.jpg

A moth on the path

352f98b92d9a1444afbd8e10e1aab07d.jpg

The Moss Garden

I sat down in the Moss Garden to enjoy the tranquillity, only slightly marred by the constant stream of visitors. I hauled water and a muesli bar from my bag and was surprised to find that the muesli bar—which had been at the bottom of my waterproof riding bag had been opened and munched on. So had another I dragged out. I’m not a greedy man and I’m happy to share, but I was mystified about how they’d been munched. I figured I hadn’t adequately secured the top of the bag.

After leaving the park, I dropped in at a waterhole where people occasionally swim. A turtle clung to a tree.
e475eead0844404d07294f973331c52b.jpg


And later in the evening, a real treat. The river running past the campground is home to a platypus, shy and seldom seen. The platypus and four species of echidna are the only surviving monotremes on planet earth. Two monotreme sightings in two days is almost too good to believe. (See how I got all the variants of ‘to’ into the preceding ssentence?) Anyway, campground residents take a drink and their camera to the waterhole around dusk to catch a glimpse of this peculiar creature. We were not disappointed.


The final wildlife sighting was a black-faced wallaby, a relative of the kangaroo.
 
Back
Top