feralchimp_imp
Running like a top
Ulv is there a site someplace that sells the Ohlins ready to bolt up, or would this be a special-order part with some work to do by a suspension specialist to get them on?
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Good point, and Works Performance as well. Around $1500 is what it will cost for any of those.Sam Mac_imp said:I am just about ready to buy the Ohlins HO 239 shocks; the Ikons helped quite a lot but I just can't get them precisely adjusted. I figure the Ohlins are a lot less than buying an entirely new motorcycle which itself will still need a whole bunch of fine-tuning and mods.Ulvetanna_imp said:I am just about ready to buy the Ohlins HO 239 shocks; the Ikons helped quite a lot but I just can't get them precisely adjusted. I figure the Ohlins are a lot less than buying an entirely new motorcycle which itself will still need a whole bunch of fine-tuning and mods.feralchimp_imp said:Thanks for "showing the work" behind the original set of points, Ulv, and I mostly agree with your conclusions. The fundamentals of the '13 and '14 are very good, and it can be made to handle just as well (or better) than a stock '17 RS with very few (if pricey) mods.
I'm still hoping the RS rear shocks will bolt up to a '14 std despite the swingarm change.
Great thread. For what ever it's worth when I had my Harley Night Rod I had Penske build a set of shocks and replace the cartridges in the forks, made a world of difference. Harley's from the factory are probably the worst POS when it comes to suspension. Now as far as the CB1100 STD goes, it handles just fine for me so I'm just going to leave it alone. I'm not a good enough rider that I need any more than what Honda has provided from the factory. You may want to check out Penske before you buy the Ohlins.
Yeah, any of the high-end stuff is around 1500. I am really not sure they can "transform" the bike because the basic design limits what twin shocks can do. I'm having second thoughts, especially since no one has leapt to the forefront singing their praises. They look cool but are they worth it? I'll do the forks first, Gold Valves and springs, and see where that takes me. That's about $400. Not bad considering the cost of the bike new.feralchimp_imp said:Thanks for passing that along. $1500 is half the cost of a decently setup track SV, but them's the breaks.
feralchimp_imp said:I have nothing but nice things to say about RaceTech gold valves.


Which is something I have said all along, set it up rather soft, ride smoothly using a very smooth throttle hand, rolling on and off the throttle, rather than snapping throttle hand open and shut, choose your apexes wisely to avoid having to lift and flip and the bike will satisfy. In other words, ride more like Lorenzo than Marquez.Ulvetanna_imp said:The more I ride the Standard, the more I think there is just absolutely nothing that can be done to really make the bike into a machine that can nibble at the supersport category, which is consistent with the Ferret's suggestion that the wheels and suspension on the RS model are just styling exercises.
The frame is a huge issue, there is quite a bit of flex there along with "yuuuge" amounts of driveline lash which cannot be dialed out no matter what shocks or forks or ECU mods are employed. There is a lot of flywheel, chain, and wheel inertia, it requires a very smooth throttle hand.
The stiffer the suspension, the worse a lot of the problems become. It's the length and weight of the bike, and the frame's inability to damp certain low-frequency oscillations (fore and aft pitching).
A lighter swingarm would certainly help with that; I could see some improvement from that piece. If the wheels were lighter, that would also improve things. The reason I think not is because the bike has not lost a single ounce of weight. It seems no heavier (the extra poundage is due only to the extra gasoline in the larger tank) so where's the weight? It has to still reside in the wheels, tires, and suspension, new they may be.
If Honda had shaved off even ten pounds from the bike with this new model, I'd be more sanguine.
I hit all my old favorite roads yesterday giving the Standard a nice workout and was convinced once again the bike needs to be set up loose, like a dirtbike, in order to work, and needs a smooth throttle hand. All that weight has to be cushioned. It works way better soft and moderately damped than it does stiff and firmly damped, unless the roads are very smooth. And I tend to ride on a lot of pretty rough roads. If that's true, and I think it is, then Ohlins or some other ultra-premium shocks are just wasted on the bike, because those things are likely to be "racetrack" stiff. That's why Honda gave the RS an Ohlins look-alike, but without the performance. I don't think I'll be spending any money on shocks; the Ikons, adjusted properly, are as much as can properly enhance this bike in its current form. Anything else, like the 180 rear tire, is just overdoing it.
Speaking of the 180, wide tires just make rough roads worse. The RS is a Cafe Racer, I predict, in the true sense of the term, designed to be ridden from coffee house to coffee house.
If it is released, and I can get a good test ride and find out differently, I will probably buy one. If it's what I think it is, I'll be keepin' my Standard.
Which is something I have said all along, set it up rather soft, ride smoothly using a very smooth throttle hand, rolling on and off the throttle, rather than snapping throttle hand open and shut, choose your apexes wisely to avoid having to lift and flip and the bike will satisfy. In other words, ride more like Lorenzo than Marquez. Well, I just could not be more in agreement with you on all accounts. Some people think firmer is better but not for public roads. The bikes I ride on the road are all set up pretty soft. They have decent suspension, my FZ8 has the least expensive Ohlins shock (the stock shock was horrible) and yeah, it could be better, but it's not to the point where I can justify spending another nickel. Same with the forks, the fork oil is thicker, preload's fine. Would Gold Valves be better? Yeah, but not enough to keep me from hanging on to my money, or rather, putting a hit my credit card.The ferret_imp said:I din't suggest as much as question. Look, it's still going to be approx 90 hp and 555 pounds, and that is a lot of mass to be flipping side to side. The 17" wheels will make it accept premium rubber but in stock form will it really be able to take advantage of that? The front and rear suspension is still oem spec Showa built for an imaginary "average" rider of what? 5'9 185 pounds, riding in average conditons. Honda knows this is no racer. They sell the CBR1000RR for that, and maybe a new RSV or something. This is merely a show piece for people who wish they were racers. Very cool, but still not a ginsu knife even if it looks like one.
Over on MCD they are reporting on a new Euro Kawasaki Z1000R with an " Ohlin" remote adjustment shock, and the bike is wearing Ohlins stickers on it, but as pointed out by one of the readers " No compression damping adjustment on the S46DR1S shock, and basic internal reservoir design. I don’t see a huge advantage over the standard rear shock once the preload is dialed in (apart from being gold and shiny)."
Even though it is an "Ohlin", which carries a premium name, it is still built to oem/mass production specs, which I fear may be the case with the Showa units on the RS. Fancy suit on an ordinary Joe.
Not saying this won't be a desirable motorcycle for the right consumer, and I'm thrilled Honda is continuing to do something with the mill, but I don't think I'd buy one thinking I can go hunt down guys on GSXR's and BMW S1000's and try and embarrass them in the canyons.
Which is something I have said all along, set it up rather soft, ride smoothly using a very smooth throttle hand, rolling on and off the throttle, rather than snapping throttle hand open and shut, choose your apexes wisely to avoid having to lift and flip and the bike will satisfy. In other words, ride more like Lorenzo than Marquez.Ulvetanna_imp said:The more I ride the Standard, the more I think there is just absolutely nothing that can be done to really make the bike into a machine that can nibble at the supersport category, which is consistent with the Ferret's suggestion that the wheels and suspension on the RS model are just styling exercises.
The frame is a huge issue, there is quite a bit of flex there along with "yuuuge" amounts of driveline lash which cannot be dialed out no matter what shocks or forks or ECU mods are employed. There is a lot of flywheel, chain, and wheel inertia, it requires a very smooth throttle hand.
The stiffer the suspension, the worse a lot of the problems become. It's the length and weight of the bike, and the frame's inability to damp certain low-frequency oscillations (fore and aft pitching).
A lighter swingarm would certainly help with that; I could see some improvement from that piece. If the wheels were lighter, that would also improve things. The reason I think not is because the bike has not lost a single ounce of weight. It seems no heavier (the extra poundage is due only to the extra gasoline in the larger tank) so where's the weight? It has to still reside in the wheels, tires, and suspension, new they may be.
If Honda had shaved off even ten pounds from the bike with this new model, I'd be more sanguine.
I hit all my old favorite roads yesterday giving the Standard a nice workout and was convinced once again the bike needs to be set up loose, like a dirtbike, in order to work, and needs a smooth throttle hand. All that weight has to be cushioned. It works way better soft and moderately damped than it does stiff and firmly damped, unless the roads are very smooth. And I tend to ride on a lot of pretty rough roads. If that's true, and I think it is, then Ohlins or some other ultra-premium shocks are just wasted on the bike, because those things are likely to be "racetrack" stiff. That's why Honda gave the RS an Ohlins look-alike, but without the performance. I don't think I'll be spending any money on shocks; the Ikons, adjusted properly, are as much as can properly enhance this bike in its current form. Anything else, like the 180 rear tire, is just overdoing it.
Speaking of the 180, wide tires just make rough roads worse. The RS is a Cafe Racer, I predict, in the true sense of the term, designed to be ridden from coffee house to coffee house.
If it is released, and I can get a good test ride and find out differently, I will probably buy one. If it's what I think it is, I'll be keepin' my Standard.
I am just about ready to buy the Ohlins HO 239 shocks; the Ikons helped quite a lot but I just can't get them precisely adjusted. I figure the Ohlins are a lot less than buying an entirely new motorcycle which itself will still need a whole bunch of fine-tuning and mods.Ulvetanna_imp said:I am just about ready to buy the Ohlins HO 239 shocks; the Ikons helped quite a lot but I just can't get them precisely adjusted. I figure the Ohlins are a lot less than buying an entirely new motorcycle which itself will still need a whole bunch of fine-tuning and mods.feralchimp_imp said:Thanks for "showing the work" behind the original set of points, Ulv, and I mostly agree with your conclusions. The fundamentals of the '13 and '14 are very good, and it can be made to handle just as well (or better) than a stock '17 RS with very few (if pricey) mods.
I'm still hoping the RS rear shocks will bolt up to a '14 std despite the swingarm change.
lol, the CB1100 is my "second bike" at least philosophically. I just think it handles and performs way better than it ever should, especially if you're a smooth rider. What fun, I can't stop riding it here lately, just put on a second brand-new Road Attack CR rear tire, need to go see if it still works.Rboe_imp said:The CB was designed to be a retro standard for old farts that had given up on their bad habits and wanted to stay in the wind on a bike that would not punish their backs, cramp their knees or be willing to get their license suspended.
It does that very well.
For other adventures I'm of the opinion you would be better off with a second bike.
ha ha, feeling older school every day...what are you doing on that 'Busa, my man? Act yer age! Now lemme see where is my '15 ZX-10R...?:rofl:use2b_imp said:Ulvetanna I can tell your a smart man and i personally enjoy reading the science you use which teaches me a lot.
being old school [ and Redneck ] i judged everything from a seat of the pants perspective just like lowering the Busa to keep the front end down on launches . I never wanted to offend anyone with my feeling that the CB1100 is limited by both frame and engine design but is everything i expected it to be and handles better than my CB750's .
This must be an individual thing. I'm 6'6", 36" inseam, and find the seat height and leg room to be perfectly acceptable.Ulvetanna_imp said:lol, the CB1100 is my "second bike" at least philosophically. I just think it handles and performs way better than it ever should, especially if you're a smooth rider. What fun, I can't stop riding it here lately, just put on a second brand-new Road Attack CR rear tire, need to go see if it still works.Rboe_imp said:The CB was designed to be a retro standard for old farts that had given up on their bad habits and wanted to stay in the wind on a bike that would not punish their backs, cramp their knees or be willing to get their license suspended.
It does that very well.
For other adventures I'm of the opinion you would be better off with a second bike.
Although based on the thread from superhawk about the monkeybutt seat I think a few mods are in order and let's not exaggerate the leg room, this thing has terrible leg room even for me at 5' 7" and 30" inseam. Low seat height though, I like that.
ha ha, feeling older school every day...what are you doing on that 'Busa, my man? Act yer age! Now lemme see where is my '15 ZX-10R...?:rofl:use2b_imp said:Ulvetanna I can tell your a smart man and i personally enjoy reading the science you use which teaches me a lot.
being old school [ and Redneck ] i judged everything from a seat of the pants perspective just like lowering the Busa to keep the front end down on launches . I never wanted to offend anyone with my feeling that the CB1100 is limited by both frame and engine design but is everything i expected it to be and handles better than my CB750's .