The CB owner

willsmith_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I've owned a 2014 Honda CB1100 for a week now. I've had a chance to talk to friends and family about it, show it off, ride 100 miles, do some maintenance, and think about ownership.

The phrase that resonates most with me is that:
"This is the motorcycle for someone who has nothing to prove"

Sport bikes and cruisers seem to be as much about what impression they make on others as the riding experience, whereas the UJM has always been about the essence of motorcycling, the elemental, unpretentious machinery and experience. Loud pipes, racy graphics and fairings... make an external impression.

Someone confident in who they are, who doesn't need social affirmation and isn't intimidated by the admonitions.

I've been surprised also by the rush to judgement by so many about the dangers of motorcycling. In this era of polarizing opinions and judgement, so many people assume you'll be dead soon and that they would never be allowed to get a motorcycle by their spouse or take the time to ride it, in deference to their marital or child-rearing responsibilities.

I'm glad to have found like-minded people on this forum... ride on!
 
willsmith_imp said:
I've owned a 2014 Honda CB1100 for a week now. I've had a chance to talk to friends and family about it, show it off, ride 100 miles, do some maintenance, and think about ownership.

The phrase that resonates most with me is that:
"This is the motorcycle for someone who has nothing to prove"

Sport bikes and cruisers seem to be as much about what impression they make on others as the riding experience, whereas the UJM has always been about the essence of motorcycling, the elemental, unpretentious machinery and experience. Loud pipes, racy graphics and fairings... make an external impression.

Someone confident in who they are, who doesn't need social affirmation and isn't intimidated by the admonitions.

I've been surprised also by the rush to judgement by so many about the dangers of motorcycling. In this era of polarizing opinions and judgement, so many people assume you'll be dead soon and that they would never be allowed to get a motorcycle by their spouse or take the time to ride it, in deference to their marital or child-rearing responsibilities.

I'm glad to have found like-minded people on this forum... ride on!
We all get that rhetoric, but I always tell people the source of fear is in the future. The motorcyclist at speed exists only in the present moment. A man freed of the future has nothing to fear.

Milan Kundera had it right.
 
I owned a Honda NC750X, which might be perceived by some as a "lesser bike" compared to other models and the CB1100. Sure, there is reasonable discussion there.

I didn't care. The NC was a very reliable, economical and enjoyable machine and it got all the ugly duties the CB1100 used to get. In person I never detected a scoff. Even if I did, I wouldn't care or, if cornered, I wouldn't hesitate to have that discussion.

Today my choice ride is an Africa Twin and a 150 cc scooter, which brings on the giggles in a way the Africa cannot. When I pull up to an HD rider with the scooter, they lack the courage to look my way. When I pull up to an HD rider with the Africa Twin, they lack the courage to look my way. So where really is the problem? (the ego is a strong, primitive force in us)
 
That's a very interesting assessment - the CB is for someone who has nothing to prove. I like that. A UJM, in its prime years, was a basic motorcycle to get a job done, not to present the rider as anything in particular. My last UJM before the CB1100 was a Nighthawk 750. When people asked me to describe it, I'd say "It's not sporty, it's not adventurous. It's the Honda Civic of motorcycles. It just takes me where I need to be without complaining."

That, in and of itself, makes the bike attractive, and approachable. People look at it without a preconceived notion, like they might if it were a chromed-up cruiser or a jet fighter sport bike. When Ender and I met up at the Donut Derelicts show a few weekends ago, lots of people were glancing at the Ducatis and Harleys scattered around, but stopped and lingered a bit looking at our bikes. I thought that was pretty cool.
 
right on assessment imo. It cracks me up to hear people who are very pleased with their bikes due to all the head-turning attention they get. If that makes them happy, I am happy for them. Just not why I ride. I see lots of the insane $$$$ customs and think "how could you ride that thing?" Trailer it to the show off and cruise 5 blocks...then hit the bar. Not my style.
 
How about a slight modification. We cannot not communicate. Whatever we say or we don't, whatever we do or we don't, we are communicating (unless alone at the southern pole). So we communicate, when we ride the CB, to the bystander, other driver, friends or family. We communicate that this "thing" is pricey (when new), is stylish (in it's old fashioned way), makes you vulnerable (is not as safe) as an S.U.V. and that we don't care. It does and we do communicate and generate a lot of images at the time. And we, the owners and riders are most of the time aware of all these images. When we buy, when we ride, when we park ... Nothing to prove ? May be. But this statement falls short of all the thinks going on between the CB and the rest of the surrounding world ;)
 
Well you can certainly look at the bikes in my garage to see Im not trying to impress anyone. I ride for me.
 
Thread starter
dangit... busted.

special thanks to my common law wife for taking the video and the cheer at the end.

I really should have put on a shirt... didnt mean to offend anyone.

but you've got to admit that bike sounds good!!!
 
willsmith_imp said:
dangit... busted.

special thanks to my common law wife for taking the video and the cheer at the end.

I really should have put on a shirt... didnt mean to offend anyone.

but you've got to admit that bike sounds good!!!
Will, congratulations and welcome. Now that is a bike that will blow the lint right out of your navel. Whoo-Hoo!
 
willsmith_imp said:
I've owned a 2014 Honda CB1100 for a week now. I've had a chance to talk to friends and family about it, show it off, ride 100 miles, do some maintenance, and think about ownership.

The phrase that resonates most with me is that:
"This is the motorcycle for someone who has nothing to prove"

Sport bikes and cruisers seem to be as much about what impression they make on others as the riding experience, whereas the UJM has always been about the essence of motorcycling, the elemental, unpretentious machinery and experience. Loud pipes, racy graphics and fairings... make an external impression.

Someone confident in who they are, who doesn't need social affirmation and isn't intimidated by the admonitions.

I've been surprised also by the rush to judgement by so many about the dangers of motorcycling. In this era of polarizing opinions and judgement, so many people assume you'll be dead soon and that they would never be allowed to get a motorcycle by their spouse or take the time to ride it, in deference to their marital or child-rearing responsibilities.

I'm glad to have found like-minded people on this forum... ride on!
Very interesting thoughts indeed.

I've owned motorcycles from many different manufacturers and many different styles. As a younger man, I often fell victim to the trap of comparing my bikes to others and making assumptions/judgements about others by the bikes they rode. As I grew out of that phase and matured, I found I started looking at my fellow riders with the thought "Good for you, get out and ride and enjoy it no matter what bike you ride, the brand on the tank, the condition, the type...just enjoy the ride." These days I have absolutely no care about the brand or type of bike, and find I can see something cool and likable in nearly any bike.

The one thing I've noticed in the harsh judgement from a safety perspective towards those of us who choose to ride motorcycle, is that more often than not, those who have strong opinions have no experience riding motorcycle themselves. I would guess this same thing applies to many different activities beyond motorcycling. Strange to me...
 
The ferret_imp said:
Well you can certainly look at the bikes in my garage to see Im not trying to impress anyone. I ride for me.
How can you be so sure ? it’s hard to see what we do for the public, since we are trained in “self imaging” from childhood. It’s part of our fabric, unconsciously. :idea:
Phadreus_imp said:
willsmith_imp said:
I've owned a 2014 Honda CB1100 for a week now. I've had a chance to talk to friends and family about it, show it off, ride 100 miles, do some maintenance, and think about ownership.

The phrase that resonates most with me is that:
"This is the motorcycle for someone who has nothing to prove"

Sport bikes and cruisers seem to be as much about what impression they make on others as the riding experience, whereas the UJM has always been about the essence of motorcycling, the elemental, unpretentious machinery and experience. Loud pipes, racy graphics and fairings... make an external impression.

Someone confident in who they are, who doesn't need social affirmation and isn't intimidated by the admonitions.

I've been surprised also by the rush to judgement by so many about the dangers of motorcycling. In this era of polarizing opinions and judgement, so many people assume you'll be dead soon and that they would never be allowed to get a motorcycle by their spouse or take the time to ride it, in deference to their marital or child-rearing responsibilities.

I'm glad to have found like-minded people on this forum... ride on!
Very interesting thoughts indeed.

I've owned motorcycles from many different manufacturers and many different styles. As a younger man, I often fell victim to the trap of comparing my bikes to others and making assumptions/judgements about others by the bikes they rode. As I grew out of that phase and matured, I found I started looking at my fellow riders with the thought "Good for you, get out and ride and enjoy it no matter what bike you ride, the brand on the tank, the condition, the type...just enjoy the ride." These days I have absolutely no care about the brand or type of bike, and find I can see something cool and likable in nearly any bike.

The one thing I've noticed in the harsh judgement from a safety perspective towards those of us who choose to ride motorcycle, is that more often than not, those who have strong opinions have no experience riding motorcycle themselves. I would guess this same thing applies to many different activities beyond motorcycling. Strange to me...
Phadreus, your line of thought works for me, and not just this time.
 
Willsmith, that video was great by the way, I got a kick out it!

Who rides a CB…
Well, I seem to ride my CB on more touring than short rides, and really love the twisties so it’s clear to me that I’m doing this for the right reasons - the feelings, the sounds, the rush - BUT a used VFR with full luggage would probably do all of the above better. A tricoloured VFR is quite a handsome unit too - BUT it doesn’t look nearly as good to my eye as my CB, especially when I think about pulling the trigger on a K10 kit and how that would level up my CB. So while I think I’m riding a CB for the right reasons, I also detect my own vanity playing a pretty big part in why I ride and cherish this bike. I remember being a little kid and thinking how cool motorcyclists looked in their black leather jackets and secretly wanted one. To some extent, I’ve pulled that off in adulthood!!! Every time I’m in the saddle I just want more time to ride it and why I’ll probably just continue to kit it out to be a bit better equipped for longer rides in the future. In a way, I’ll continue to compromise on certain feature because of how important it is to me that it looks so cool, the way a motorcycle should.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
run-tmc_imp said:
Willsmith, that video was great by the way, I got a kick out it!

Who rides a CB…
Well, I seem to ride my CB on more touring than short rides, and really love the twisties so it’s clear to me that I’m doing this for the right reasons - the feelings, the sounds, the rush - BUT a used VFR with full luggage would probably do all of the above better. A tricoloured VFR is quite a handsome unit too - BUT it doesn’t look nearly as good to my eye as my CB, especially when I think about pulling the trigger on a K10 kit and how that would level up my CB. So while I think I’m riding a CB for the right reasons, I also detect my own vanity playing a pretty big part in why I ride and cherish this bike. I remember being a little kid and thinking how cool motorcyclists looked in their black leather jackets and secretly wanted one. To some extent, I’ve pulled that off in adulthood!!! Every time I’m in the saddle I just want more time to ride it and why I’ll probably just continue to kit it out to be a bit better equipped for longer rides in the future. In a way, I’ll continue to compromise on certain feature because of how important it is to me that it looks so cool, the way a motorcycle should.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keep the vision alive.

Eventually the average day will be ...

 
Back
Top