Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Agreed; for me it's 70-100 miles before I stop for something, 120 at most. But a lot of times it's to take a photo and so I stretch, eat, drink, nature call during the same stop. When i do a long distance trip, the main point of doing so is to see new things, explore forlorn roads and such. This also means stopping to check alternate routes on the map.GoldOxide_imp said:It could be anyone riding continuously for more than three hours (assuming fuel and food is a non-issue) is not human.
I couldn't group ride with such riders. The tourer (err, I mean ... cruiser) and I would demand a break.
... and did anyone here "drink water" during their teenage riding tours on scrappy bikes? I don't recall doing so.Tev62_imp said:No account seems to be taken of ones age. In your younger years you put up with all sorts. Sub-standard clothing (i.e. just jeans and a leather jacket in all weather conditions), extreme riding position bikes, do big distances on naked bikes, crappy suspension and so on. I used to do long days on my CB350K4 and it never dawned on me it wasn't the right bike for the job or somehow substandard. At a soon to be 60 I now I wouldn't dream of touring on my CB1100, I think you can tour on anything but that doesn't make the CB a good tourer compared to more focussed bikes. I like my long travel electronically adjusted suspension, heated seat and large electrically adjustable windscreen on my Tiger, I can ride for long days on this bike if called for. I know I would be suffering over the same mileage on the CB, it is a completely different beast, it will do it but I couldn't. That is not a criticism though, it was never designed and created as a tourer.
... didn't feel tempsGoldOxide_imp said:... and did anyone here "drink water" during their teenage riding tours on scrappy bikes? I don't recall doing so.Tev62_imp said:No account seems to be taken of ones age. In your younger years you put up with all sorts. Sub-standard clothing (i.e. just jeans and a leather jacket in all weather conditions), extreme riding position bikes, do big distances on naked bikes, crappy suspension and so on. I used to do long days on my CB350K4 and it never dawned on me it wasn't the right bike for the job or somehow substandard. At a soon to be 60 I now I wouldn't dream of touring on my CB1100, I think you can tour on anything but that doesn't make the CB a good tourer compared to more focussed bikes. I like my long travel electronically adjusted suspension, heated seat and large electrically adjustable windscreen on my Tiger, I can ride for long days on this bike if called for. I know I would be suffering over the same mileage on the CB, it is a completely different beast, it will do it but I couldn't. That is not a criticism though, it was never designed and created as a tourer.
No, me neither. I laugh when I see an ADV rider with his Camelbak Hydration Unit in the middle of a built up urban area. Like he hasn't got time to get off the bike for 2 minutes to take a swig of water or that he actually needs one in the first place. It might make sense crossing Death Valley or traversing central Australia.GoldOxide_imp said:... and did anyone here "drink water" during their teenage riding tours on scrappy bikes? I don't recall doing so.Tev62_imp said:No account seems to be taken of ones age. In your younger years you put up with all sorts. Sub-standard clothing (i.e. just jeans and a leather jacket in all weather conditions), extreme riding position bikes, do big distances on naked bikes, crappy suspension and so on. I used to do long days on my CB350K4 and it never dawned on me it wasn't the right bike for the job or somehow substandard. At a soon to be 60 I now I wouldn't dream of touring on my CB1100, I think you can tour on anything but that doesn't make the CB a good tourer compared to more focussed bikes. I like my long travel electronically adjusted suspension, heated seat and large electrically adjustable windscreen on my Tiger, I can ride for long days on this bike if called for. I know I would be suffering over the same mileage on the CB, it is a completely different beast, it will do it but I couldn't. That is not a criticism though, it was never designed and created as a tourer.
Not sure we are so spoiled. When I think about the most enjoyable trips last 18 months : jeans, shirt, helmet, nothing else and warm air around me. The more I push the limits with extra equipment, the more I get depressed before the engine even comes on ...LongRanger_imp said:Amen to that. I was 20 and still wet behind the ears when I rode my little CB400F from San Francisco to Salt Lake City in one night, about 750 miles, by myself. Blue jeans, sweatshirt, and hiking boots. Gloves? No. Hearing protection? Nope. Electric vest or heated grips? I wish! Tire patch kit and compressor? Huh? Credit card and cell phone? Heck no, it was over 40 years ago. I continued on to Denver the next day, about another 500 miles, no worse for wear.
Boy are we spoiled today!
![]()