The BT54R front didn't last long

Scotty_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
2500 miles and 6months. Always at proper pressure. I like the way they feel, but this is crazy.
 
Yup, they all last not very long, that's about average for the front tire, the rear lasted 24.000 km on mine so you should be ok for a while, my pilot road front tire lasted 23.000 km, i'm happy with that number, thanks for the pictures.
 
I think I got 9000 miles out of my first front tire. The second one died due to a stray piece of roadway concrete in the middle of the lane at morning dusk at 75 mph in a left hand sweeper. Pretty sure I'm still on the third as I haven't been riding much as of late.
 
The oe Bridgestone front tire didnt have much meat on it to begin with, I think 4/32 or something like that. Although I must say most people on this forum reported getting more than 2500 miles out of them.
 
Across a couple of Forums I noticed Californian riders tend to get significantly less life on tire tread than those elsewhere out-of-state. This reads to me like par for the course.
 
The ferret_imp said:
The oe Bridgestone front tire didnt have much meat on it to begin with, I think 4/32 or something like that. Although I must say most people on this forum reported getting more than 2500 miles out of them.
Ferret is correct. It seems the front tire from the factory is a "good enough" item with not much tread. Mine was toast by 3000 miles and wouldn't pass the mandatory vehicle inspection we have here. I was shocked at the short life until I learned about the so-so factory tire here on the forum.
 
Just checked my new rs fitted with Battlax sport touring tyres with front 5mm depth rear 7mm depth.

Must say though when I bought the 2015 ex with only 2100 miles on the clock I insisted they change the front tyre because it was very close to the limit.
 
Rocky_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
The oe Bridgestone front tire didnt have much meat on it to begin with, I think 4/32 or something like that. Although I must say most people on this forum reported getting more than 2500 miles out of them.
Ferret is correct. It seems the front tire from the factory is a "good enough" item with not much tread. Mine was toast by 3000 miles and wouldn't pass the mandatory vehicle inspection we have here. I was shocked at the short life until I learned about the so-so factory tire here on the forum.
Ferret is correct. It seems the front tire from the factory is a "good enough" item with not much tread. Mine was toast by 3000 miles and wouldn't pass the mandatory vehicle inspection we have here. I was shocked at the short life until I learned about the so-so factory tire here on the forum.
Well that's discouraging as I am awaiting delivery of a set. :(
 
Thread starter
Whoops_imp said:
Rocky_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
The oe Bridgestone front tire didnt have much meat on it to begin with, I think 4/32 or something like that. Although I must say most people on this forum reported getting more than 2500 miles out of them.
Ferret is correct. It seems the front tire from the factory is a "good enough" item with not much tread. Mine was toast by 3000 miles and wouldn't pass the mandatory vehicle inspection we have here. I was shocked at the short life until I learned about the so-so factory tire here on the forum.
Ferret is correct. It seems the front tire from the factory is a "good enough" item with not much tread. Mine was toast by 3000 miles and wouldn't pass the mandatory vehicle inspection we have here. I was shocked at the short life until I learned about the so-so factory tire here on the forum.
Well that's discouraging as I am awaiting delivery of a set. :(
Ferret is correct. It seems the front tire from the factory is a "good enough" item with not much tread. Mine was toast by 3000 miles and wouldn't pass the mandatory vehicle inspection we have here. I was shocked at the short life until I learned about the so-so factory tire here on the forum.
Well that's discouraging as I am awaiting delivery of a set. :(
Well, it was good while it lasted...
 
Whoops_imp said:
Rocky_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
The oe Bridgestone front tire didnt have much meat on it to begin with, I think 4/32 or something like that. Although I must say most people on this forum reported getting more than 2500 miles out of them.
Ferret is correct. It seems the front tire from the factory is a "good enough" item with not much tread. Mine was toast by 3000 miles and wouldn't pass the mandatory vehicle inspection we have here. I was shocked at the short life until I learned about the so-so factory tire here on the forum.
Ferret is correct. It seems the front tire from the factory is a "good enough" item with not much tread. Mine was toast by 3000 miles and wouldn't pass the mandatory vehicle inspection we have here. I was shocked at the short life until I learned about the so-so factory tire here on the forum.
Well that's discouraging as I am awaiting delivery of a set. :(
Ferret is correct. It seems the front tire from the factory is a "good enough" item with not much tread. Mine was toast by 3000 miles and wouldn't pass the mandatory vehicle inspection we have here. I was shocked at the short life until I learned about the so-so factory tire here on the forum.
Well that's discouraging as I am awaiting delivery of a set. :(
If you bought them aftermarket the fronts will probably have more meat on them.


This is how it works for a manufacturer:

Honda: Dear Bridgestone we will buy 250,000 tires from if you can deliver them for $50.00 each.

Bridgestone: Dear Honda we can do that, but we will have to reduce the tread depth, otherwise they will be just like the ones we sell after market.

Honda: Dear Bridgestone, so they will look the same, perform the same, only won't last as long?

Bridgestone: Dear Honda, that is correct.

Honda: Dear Bridgestone.... ok, we will take them.
 
Rocky_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
The oe Bridgestone front tire didnt have much meat on it to begin with, I think 4/32 or something like that. Although I must say most people on this forum reported getting more than 2500 miles out of them.
Ferret is correct. It seems the front tire from the factory is a "good enough" item with not much tread. Mine was toast by 3000 miles and wouldn't pass the mandatory vehicle inspection we have here. I was shocked at the short life until I learned about the so-so factory tire here on the forum.
Ferret is correct. It seems the front tire from the factory is a "good enough" item with not much tread. Mine was toast by 3000 miles and wouldn't pass the mandatory vehicle inspection we have here. I was shocked at the short life until I learned about the so-so factory tire here on the forum.
My original CB1100 OEM BT54s had over 17000 kms and were still going strong. However, the rear was definitely stronger looking than the front - which is absolutely unusual.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Rocky_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
The oe Bridgestone front tire didnt have much meat on it to begin with, I think 4/32 or something like that. Although I must say most people on this forum reported getting more than 2500 miles out of them.
Ferret is correct. It seems the front tire from the factory is a "good enough" item with not much tread. Mine was toast by 3000 miles and wouldn't pass the mandatory vehicle inspection we have here. I was shocked at the short life until I learned about the so-so factory tire here on the forum.
Ferret is correct. It seems the front tire from the factory is a "good enough" item with not much tread. Mine was toast by 3000 miles and wouldn't pass the mandatory vehicle inspection we have here. I was shocked at the short life until I learned about the so-so factory tire here on the forum.
My original CB1100 OEM BT54s had over 17000 kms and were still going strong. However, the rear was definitely stronger looking than the front - which is absolutely unusual.
Ferret is correct. It seems the front tire from the factory is a "good enough" item with not much tread. Mine was toast by 3000 miles and wouldn't pass the mandatory vehicle inspection we have here. I was shocked at the short life until I learned about the so-so factory tire here on the forum.
My original CB1100 OEM BT54s had over 17000 kms and were still going strong. However, the rear was definitely stronger looking than the front - which is absolutely unusual.
Mr. Gold, reading that (17000km), I'm simply amazed. You must have waaay better roads up there than we do here in southern California!
 
Scotty_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Rocky_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
The oe Bridgestone front tire didnt have much meat on it to begin with, I think 4/32 or something like that. Although I must say most people on this forum reported getting more than 2500 miles out of them.
Ferret is correct. It seems the front tire from the factory is a "good enough" item with not much tread. Mine was toast by 3000 miles and wouldn't pass the mandatory vehicle inspection we have here. I was shocked at the short life until I learned about the so-so factory tire here on the forum.
Ferret is correct. It seems the front tire from the factory is a "good enough" item with not much tread. Mine was toast by 3000 miles and wouldn't pass the mandatory vehicle inspection we have here. I was shocked at the short life until I learned about the so-so factory tire here on the forum.
My original CB1100 OEM BT54s had over 17000 kms and were still going strong. However, the rear was definitely stronger looking than the front - which is absolutely unusual.
Ferret is correct. It seems the front tire from the factory is a "good enough" item with not much tread. Mine was toast by 3000 miles and wouldn't pass the mandatory vehicle inspection we have here. I was shocked at the short life until I learned about the so-so factory tire here on the forum.
My original CB1100 OEM BT54s had over 17000 kms and were still going strong. However, the rear was definitely stronger looking than the front - which is absolutely unusual.
Mr. Gold, reading that (17000km), I'm simply amazed. You must have waaay better roads up there than we do here in southern California!
Based on many of your other California colleagues, that could be right and despite the extreme seasons our roads up here are exposed to.
 
The BT-45 was OEM , right? From my experience I have NEVER gotten over 5k miles from OEM tires (off the showroom at least). Ever. Nature of the beast. Just burn them up and by a different set.
 
Thread starter
Rox_imp said:
The BT-45 was OEM , right? From my experience I have NEVER gotten over 5k miles from OEM tires (off the showroom at least). Ever. Nature of the beast. Just burn them up and by a different set.
BT-54. I'd like it if it lasted longer. Not a lot of choices if one wants to stick to stock tire size! Metzler -08 next for me I think.
 
If the same model of tire on the same bike can get anywhere between 2500 and 10,000 miles, it's probably not the tire. It's the riding style, tire pressure maintenance, and road conditions.

Several years ago, when there were complaints of GL1800 front tires wearing quickly and unevenly with resulting handling complaints, Honda invited a group of local GWRRA members to their Torrance facility for free oil/filter and safety inspections. They asked the GL owners what they set the tire pressures at and when they last checked them.

During the safety inspection, tire pressures were recorded and lo and behold, most were well under pressure, some into the teens. So much for keeping up on tire pressures.

Most of the tires were worn way more on the left side, which had been attributed to the crown in the road. That may be a minor cause, but the major cause is by wear when leaned over in left hand turns, regardless of what kind of bike or tire.

When you take a left hand corner, the arc you take is generally broader, wider, and you have a wider field of vision. You are going faster, with more load on the tire. On right handers, the arc is tighter, maybe less vision, and going slower. Canyon riders live for the left hand sweepers.

Tires never wear out on the right side first - except in LHD countries. Maybe we can swap used tires with LHD countries.:)

One last thing about OEM tires. The tires Honda has as OEM, depending on application, are spec'd from the manufacturer as having the tightest tolerances, such as run-out. Those batches are selected for Honda (and the other manufacturers) and for their parts stock, with the rest going to the aftermarket. Not to say the aftermarket tire is any worse, but not ruling that out either. Going back to the GL1800s, some customers who bought an aftermarket tire of the same brand/model (and other brands) and had complaints, had OEM tires put on to rectify the complaint.
 
I like that technical explanation, pd.
Sounds very logical and scientifically proven.
Thanks for sharing.
 
I did keep the recommended pressure in my original CB1100 OEM tires. There was no sidewall cracking, but the front tire may had started to micro crack in the meager thread. In addition, I believe overall the tires were "harder". One thing for sure: In the warming spring time (e.g. March, April warm days) I noticed the rear tire would precipitate a sort of "black goo". So I knew the tire was going through some sort of aging process.

I never treated my tires with any aftermarket bling bling crap.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
If the same model of tire on the same bike can get anywhere between 2500 and 10,000 miles, it's probably not the tire. It's the riding style, tire pressure maintenance, and road conditions.

Several years ago, when there were complaints of GL1800 front tires wearing quickly and unevenly with resulting handling complaints, Honda invited a group of local GWRRA members to their Torrance facility for free oil/filter and safety inspections. They asked the GL owners what they set the tire pressures at and when they last checked them.

During the safety inspection, tire pressures were recorded and lo and behold, most were well under pressure, some into the teens. So much for keeping up on tire pressures.

Most of the tires were worn way more on the left side, which had been attributed to the crown in the road. That may be a minor cause, but the major cause is by wear when leaned over in left hand turns, regardless of what kind of bike or tire.

When you take a left hand corner, the arc you take is generally broader, wider, and you have a wider field of vision. You are going faster, with more load on the tire. On right handers, the arc is tighter, maybe less vision, and going slower. Canyon riders live for the left hand sweepers.

Tires never wear out on the right side first - except in LHD countries. Maybe we can swap used tires with LHD countries.:)

One last thing about OEM tires. The tires Honda has as OEM, depending on application, are spec'd from the manufacturer as having the tightest tolerances, such as run-out. Those batches are selected for Honda (and the other manufacturers) and for their parts stock, with the rest going to the aftermarket. Not to say the aftermarket tire is any worse, but not ruling that out either. Going back to the GL1800s, some customers who bought an aftermarket tire of the same brand/model (and other brands) and had complaints, had OEM tires put on to rectify the complaint.
That's interesting because years of riding behind people has convinced me riders like to take right hand curves more than left hand curves. ( when taken properly the arcs should be identical only reversed). When I question riders about this they invariably tell me they are uncomfortable being out by the edge of the road by the white edge line looking left. I take lefts and rights equally well, and at rallies find myself running up on the back of people in left hand curves because I am entering them and exiting them faster.

Line selection is everything in going quickly, smoothly.
 
Back
Top