The bikes of Huatulco, Mexico

GoldOxide_imp said:
Italika FT150 GTS ...



[Mexico]
Italikas! These are fun to look at for because they export them to Costa Rica and are sold both at dealerships, but you'll also see them sold in small department stores as if they were blenders.

I also like this photo because you include a little bit of the street / environs.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Vento Thriller ...



[Mexico]
Cause this is Thriller, thriller bike, you ride it in the daylight and you ride it in the night......

Sung to MJ tune lol
 
I meant to before, but I looked up Huatulco to see exactly where you were at as I wasn't sure if I had ever been there. Turns out, very close! Back in 2005 my sister-in-law in Costa Rica was in dire need of a new, larger car because hers had broken down, no funds to replace it. We had a 1993 Dodge Minivan that we could have sold for not much, but since she had helped us in a number of ways over the years, we just decided to give the minivan to her. So I asked my 17 year old neighbor (a good mechanic!) and a former student to go with me and we drove the Dodge to Costa Rica over 2 weeks. We took the pacific hiway 200 south and it looks like I was about 10 miles from Huatulco. If I remember right, we started the morning in Zihuatanejo, drove thru Acapulco and made it to Tapachula from where we would cross over into Guatemala the next day. Fun trip!
 
So, if you rode something down there with a displacement of 500cc or larger, would you be considered some sort of diety?
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
So, if you rode something down there with a displacement of 500cc or larger, would you be considered some sort of diety?
What, like "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" kind of thing? Planning a trip perhaps? :worship:
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
So, if you rode something down there with a displacement of 500cc or larger, would you be considered some sort of diety?
I have a Honda Gold Wing snap somewhere, and perhaps some HDs. There was a BMW GS, but I did not bother snapping it up. Large displacement bikes are impractical in town, but are suggested in rural paved regions as it is mountainous. In town the roads are quite rough and many are semi-loose tarmac.

There was a HD-based patched gang briefly in town from Mexico City. A very noisy bunch revving their crackle 'n' thunder V-twins in an otherwise peaceful town. Local residents appeared not impressed. Not sure who the HD riders were trying to impress - themselves? (they have the left hand for that).

= = =

A Honda XR190L ...



[Mexico]
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
So, if you rode something down there with a displacement of 500cc or larger, would you be considered some sort of diety?
My friend and I thought we would blend in on our humble little KLRs on a trip through Mexico...nope! Every single "federales" or other checkpoint, at gas stations, anywhere we were parked, people would ask the same 2-3 questions: 1) how big is it 2) how fast can it go and 3) how much did it cost? I think the military check-point guys spent extra time with us, poking at our luggage...likely they were just bored and wanted to talk bikes.

Offering people the chance to sit on the KLRs was never turned down. Lots of funny conversations flowed from there.

So maybe not deity, but we're both about 6'4", and decked out in our mc gear on the "huge" KLRs...yeah, no blending in!

391835a839aba6769d1e2642b9505b81.jpg


3e6f70611ae7395d4ebdb409f97e0243.jpg


If it's a slow day and you've got some time: "Vamos pa'l sur: Mx, Belize and Guatemala" from 2010.
 
I figured that little bikes are so common that anything “big” like a KLR would probably stand out.
No immediate plans, but it’s just a short ride down there…
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
So, if you rode something down there with a displacement of 500cc or larger, would you be considered some sort of diety?
I have a Honda Gold Wing snap somewhere, and perhaps some HDs. There was a BMW GS, but I did not bother snapping it up. Large displacement bikes are impractical in town, but are suggested in rural paved regions as it is mountainous. In town the roads are quite rough and many are semi-loose tarmac.

There was a HD-based patched gang briefly in town from Mexico City. A very noisy bunch revving their crackle 'n' thunder V-twins in an otherwise peaceful town. Local residents appeared not impressed. Not sure who the HD riders were trying to impress - themselves? (they have the left hand for that).

= = =

A Honda XR190L ...



[Mexico]
Neat little motorcycle. What I don't understand is why Honda didn't bring this bike to the US instead of the XR150L? The XR190 makers more power and torque, has FI rather than a carb, and is even a few pounds lighter. Both are made in Mexico.
 
Thread starter
Ollie_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
So, if you rode something down there with a displacement of 500cc or larger, would you be considered some sort of diety?
I have a Honda Gold Wing snap somewhere, and perhaps some HDs. There was a BMW GS, but I did not bother snapping it up. Large displacement bikes are impractical in town, but are suggested in rural paved regions as it is mountainous. In town the roads are quite rough and many are semi-loose tarmac.

There was a HD-based patched gang briefly in town from Mexico City. A very noisy bunch revving their crackle 'n' thunder V-twins in an otherwise peaceful town. Local residents appeared not impressed. Not sure who the HD riders were trying to impress - themselves? (they have the left hand for that).

= = =

A Honda XR190L ...



[Mexico]
Neat little motorcycle. What I don't understand is why Honda didn't bring this bike to the US instead of the XR150L? The XR190 makers more power and torque, has FI rather than a carb, and is even a few pounds lighter. Both are made in Mexico.
Neat little motorcycle. What I don't understand is why Honda didn't bring this bike to the US instead of the XR150L? The XR190 makers more power and torque, has FI rather than a carb, and is even a few pounds lighter. Both are made in Mexico.
That might be a good discussion.
 
Ollie_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
So, if you rode something down there with a displacement of 500cc or larger, would you be considered some sort of diety?
I have a Honda Gold Wing snap somewhere, and perhaps some HDs. There was a BMW GS, but I did not bother snapping it up. Large displacement bikes are impractical in town, but are suggested in rural paved regions as it is mountainous. In town the roads are quite rough and many are semi-loose tarmac.

There was a HD-based patched gang briefly in town from Mexico City. A very noisy bunch revving their crackle 'n' thunder V-twins in an otherwise peaceful town. Local residents appeared not impressed. Not sure who the HD riders were trying to impress - themselves? (they have the left hand for that).

= = =

A Honda XR190L ...



[Mexico]
Neat little motorcycle. What I don't understand is why Honda didn't bring this bike to the US instead of the XR150L? The XR190 makers more power and torque, has FI rather than a carb, and is even a few pounds lighter. Both are made in Mexico.
Neat little motorcycle. What I don't understand is why Honda didn't bring this bike to the US instead of the XR150L? The XR190 makers more power and torque, has FI rather than a carb, and is even a few pounds lighter. Both are made in Mexico.
I would like that just so I could have a kick-start bike. My little CGL125 was the easiest thing to kick start...barefoot, with your hand if you wanted.
 
Thread starter
You see many of these around town. There are many woman riders, and not just on scooters.

Italika Vitalia 150 ...



[Mexico]
 
Back
Top