That's an antique aint it?

Hiram E. Varona_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Today was an uncommonly clear and sunny day here in South Florida. We have been getting daily downpours off and on since mid August. My fuel tank was full and I had not ridden a "dry" ride without donning rain gear, so I decided to ride down to Isla Morada Key.
With the temperature in the 90's and just a few puffy clouds in the sky I headed south on the bike. I went down as far as the Tikki Bar off U.S 1 and had a greasy burger. When I got back to the bike I noticed a man in his 60's looking over the CB. As soon as he realized that I was the owner he asked, "Hey that's an antique aint it?" I prepared myself to give a full explanation on how Honda brought back the CB 1100 as a "retro" reliving the glory days when Honda revolutionized the biking industry. I was all set to explain the electronic ignition, the anti lock brakes, the sophisticated fuel control sensors, when I realized that he really enjoyed the fact that something so old could be made to look so new. Somehow I sensed that telling this man that this was a modern bike with only 8,400 miles on the odometer would not give him the same thrill as he was getting from admiring this old classic. So, I just looked at him and said, "yeap it sure is!" he stayed there and watched the bike until I got on the road. Later as I was riding home, I began to second guess myself as to weather or not I should have told him the bare truth. Then a revelation came to me. When Honda built the CB motorcycles in the 1970's they built a machine for the ages. The CB750 that I rode in 1983 is almost the same machine I ride today. The ride, the workmanship, the reliability, the look, and that great ride is still there! I've owned other bikes and it just wasn't the same. Today it's got the fuel injection and other bells and whistles my old 750 did not have, but it still close enough for that love affair I had in 1983 to be rekindled with my CB 1100. Todays ride totalled 250 miles of glorious indulgence. Not bad for a pair of antiques.
 
curlyjoe_imp said:
"That's an antique, ain't it?" Potential T-shirt material?

Good stuff Hiram. Thanks for sharing the story.
What he said.
 
Hiram, nicely put. Do you mind if I share your story with others?
 
These days "a pair of antiques" is the way I guess; the comment regarding how good the bikes looks for its age is not uncommon and the dude that makes it is somewhat dissapointed when I tell them it was built in 2011. So keeping the dream alive I just say I'm proud to be its current owner it ties in with the vibe.
When I'm asked for my Seniors Card, I don't say that i don't have one, if they think the bike and I are "a pair of antiques" thats ok with me.

Regards
 
You did right I think. BTW, the wife and I used to frequent the Tikki Bar for some Rum Runners after a day of diving off Isla Morada. That was 35 years ago, sheeesh!
 
Not to hijack, but the other day I was downtown in Louisville Ky, a guy and his wife pulls up nexts to me at a stoplight, and I see the passenger window which was on my side come down, and while preparing to hear him ask what year my bike was, he tells me that my turn signal was still on....was almost disapppointed....
 
Headbanger02_imp said:
Not to hijack, but the other day I was downtown in Louisville Ky, a guy and his wife pulls up nexts to me at a stoplight, and I see the passenger window which was on my side come down, and while preparing to hear him ask what year my bike was, he tells me that my turn signal was still on....was almost disapppointed....
:rofl:
Good one :thumbsup:
 
I am perplexed by the concept that the CB1100 is a retro. I can see some retro inspired tips mostly related to high quality materials they used to make motorcycles out of that have been abandoned for plastic. I see how it pays homage to honda's history but i find it a thoroughly modern standard motorcycle. I hope more bikes look to the past for inspiration on how to design bikes of today because new design isn't always better design.
 
Brookland27_imp said:
I am perplexed by the concept that the CB1100 is a retro. I can see some retro inspired tips mostly related to high quality materials they used to make motorcycles out of that have been abandoned for plastic. I see how it pays homage to honda's history but i find it a thoroughly modern standard motorcycle. I hope more bikes look to the past for inspiration on how to design bikes of today because new design isn't always better design.
Um.. While I totally understand this view.. The bike is absolutely a retrospective design..

It "looks" like it was built in 1980.. They built the CB1000 which was a modern bike with clear classic design cues, but this CB is built to look like a classic CB from the ground up. Hence retro..

cheers..
 
Nice topic and perfect answer. This bike "is" also this, and brings history, passion, and heritage.

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5 utilizzando Tapatalk
 
Back
Top