That time when you did something.. then immediately regretted it!!

CBill00_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
So I went in to work yesterday for a couple hours just to get a few things done while nobody was there thinking our network would be faster (I was wrong btw lol).

So upon leaving my work parking lot I ventured through a part of the maze that I never did before, then I came to what I thought was the end of the parking lot with no exit (which turned out to be wrong again!). Rather than drive back around I saw a little 2" curb with a 5' grass area and figured "eh what the hell, I'll just drive over top of that". Popped up on the curb, drove through the little grass part, went to drop down off the curb on the other side... before it was too late I realized it was more like a 5" curb on the other side. Worst part is if I had drove around the building there was an exit right THERE!!!! :(

It's driving me so nuts that I did that instead of just turning around... or venturing a little further around the building! Having owned as many dual sports as I have I guess I've picked up some horrible habits.

I suppose it could be worse though. No exhaust leak and the only damage was to the header... blah!


[url=http://s225.photobucket.com/user/beastmode02/media/IMG_20150526_162639835_zps35b916nm.jpg.html]
 
Ooooh that would make me say quite a few words I would't let any one post lol.


Bummmer. there are members with stock exhausts they have taken off. I even think CIP was giving one away. check the classifieds.
 
I did the same thing on my previous bike, the F800ST. I tried to hop over a concrete median on some empty back road (instead of just making a clear U-turn about 40 feet ahead...which would've taken an extra 20 seconds or so), and unexpectedly bottomed out, hard! I thought I hit the oil filter at first, so I pulled over immediately and shut the bike off. When I saw the big dent in the header, I kind of wish it was the oil filter (that's a lot easier to replace, right?). I couldn't believe myself...such an idiot! I tried to remove the dent by drilling a tiny hole in it, heating it up with a torch, and slide-hammering it out with a hook....but no luck.

[/img]
 
CB,
I responded to your PM, I have the header not sure on the cost to box and ship, probably $$$$. Pick up here in Westchester NY is free:thumbsup:
 
CIP57_imp said:
CB,
I responded to your PM, I have the header not sure on the cost to box and ship, probably $$$$. Pick up here in Westchester NY is free:thumbsup:
CIP57 that's awesome! I scraped my exhaust on a speed bump in a strip mall parking lot. It was an extra tall bump with plenty of battle scars already. I even tried to go over it extra slow (which unfortunately might have contributed instead of prevented). Luckily no obvious damage.
 
CIP, that is mighty nice of you. :thumbsup:

And people like you are one reason this board is so great!
 
Thanks for posting these warnings, I might have tried to go over taller objects without thinking too! This helps to remind me!
 
Thread starter
Jim,
It never looks like much I guess until after you've tried to clear something... then you think to yourself "wtf was I thinking?!?!"

CIP,
Thank you so much, that is very kind of you!
I'm working on a way to make it west of PA. It stinks because I was just in Carteret NJ last Wednedsday!... I'm hoping my work sends me out on another trip than I can swing by and pick it up as well as thank you in person.

As bad as this sucks, I'm thankful it was something that unbolts and can be replaced with ease.

Now if only someone would make an aftermarket header in black with a highflow cat lol
 
Could you get the stock header powder coated or ceramic coated? Is that an option?
 
Thread starter
That was my plan all along was to have my stock header ceramic coated (assuming its possible) and then just purchase a slip on. Keeping the cat is a must for me.
 
Ehhh, I've done worse to pipes on sportbikes, scraping them on hot corners. ;)
But seriously, I thought this was going to be a high-siding-it story. So many members here have dropped their bikes moving at slow speeds in precarious situations, I figured that's what happened to you - glad it was only this!
 
CBill00_imp said:
Jim,
It never looks like much I guess until after you've tried to clear something... then you think to yourself "wtf was I thinking?!?!"

CIP,
Thank you so much, that is very kind of you!
I'm working on a way to make it west of PA. It stinks because I was just in Carteret NJ last Wednedsday!... I'm hoping my work sends me out on another trip than I can swing by and pick it up as well as thank you in person.

As bad as this sucks, I'm thankful it was something that unbolts and can be replaced with ease.

Now if only someone would make an aftermarket header in black with a highflow cat lol
Its here let me know in advance if your out in Jersey.
 
Took the Griso to the photography club meeting and parked it on the sidewalk up front - like the Harley guys. When I rode off, over the curb I bottomed out. Hard! It must have been between 8-10" high. When I got home I found out I had holed the oil pan. Ouch! Almost ran the bike out of oil to say nothing of lubing the rear tire. Have no idea how I got home without dropping her (one corner was greasy so I took it easy).

I park in the lot like I should now.
 
I'm not at all for removing the cat out of mine, but I'm curious to know why keeping the cat is a must for you. What are the advantages to keeping it? Less noise, or not having to remap?
 
I lived in fear of that kind of thing with my Burgman...all that plastic cladding! And the radiator down low; any road debris would hole it or break the mounts. PLUS...it had headers as elaborate as you can have with a twin; the Burgman 650, unlike most scooters, had a frame-mounted engine. Headers twisted through the cladding, very low; and then entered the tailpipe. Very impressive, from an industrial-design standpoint. Not so encouraging, when looking at potholes and curbs and road debris.

Now I've got a real motorcycle...and I learn that the headers are just sitting there waiting to get crushed. Bummer...
 
Back
Top