Thanksgiving Day Ride

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Getting ready to head out for a Thanksgiving Day ride on the CB before heading over to my sons house for a traditional holiday feast. Weatherman has blessed us with an unusually good forecast with sunny skies and temps in the 60's. Awesome for the end of November. Will post up pics this afternoon.

For those who are able to ride today, please take extra caution. Lots of cars and travelers on the road today. Many more than usual, and we want all forum members and their families to enjoy this day to the fullest, so be careful out there today folks. :thumbsup:

Happy Thanksgiving!

Ferret
 
Not a day for a ride in Florida. Way too dangerous especially on interstates, make that EVERYWHERE! Too many unfamiliar TOURISTS that do not look before stopping (not at light or intersection, just stopping because they are lost - even with a gps, or need to collect their thoughts - as if they have any when they drive), slamming on brakes, and the best one, making turns out of the blue without a signal or thought to look first (turn now Martha, it's over there). No offense to any Martha(s) in the group.

The above seems like an LOL, but unfortunately it is a sad, dangerous daily event only to rise during any holiday or snowbird season commutes.

Happy Thanksgiving to all members in the US and to members overseas, Happy Thursday or Friday.
 
Enjoy your ride, Mickey! I'd go for a short one along the coast but have too much cooking to do.

Happy Thanksgiving!
 
I used to when I used to live in Jax, but the tourists passing through mid-state are unbelievably on a mission to crash. Speaking of crashing, how are the Jags doing? You should take a trip south and watch the other FL team instead. If I could, I would ride the bike to ATL next weekend, but it'll be the car.
 
Took a country ride of 25 miles on my Honda Magna power cruiser and will take the CB1100 to nursing home for lunch and then antoher country ride the long way home after dinner with wife....nice temps..in the low sixties as of now.
No traffic on country roads.
 
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!
And no riding in Billings for the next few days. Had more than 3" of snow yesterday and temperatures will stay below 32F for a while...

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
 
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Great day here on the MD eastern shore, great day for a ride, BUT the wife has the day planned out. Over to the Kids for Thanksgiving dinner and football, then the worst part, Black Friday shopping on Thursday evening. Great riding weather should trump Black Friday shopping, but every married man knows how it goes.:(
 
No riding in Western Montana today - right now the digital mercury is at 10 degrees.

I'm having withdrawl. Two weeks ago I wheeled out the CB to show to a prospective buyer...we warmed it up and rode it around the block...temperature at the time was 42 and raining, and dang if I didn't want to just keep going.

Insurance suspended, though. And I've got the gas treated. Hey, if I hit the lotto this winter...I can keep ALL my bikes!
 
Thread starter
Mickey's trifecta — a bike ride that includes a stop to take in a barge while enjoying a cup of tea. Nice!

Good to know that your ride on this particular holiday (that typically involves a higher number of distracted people out on the roads) was a safe one.
 
Thread starter
Well it looks like I wasn't the only one to get out. Great.

Chapomis, neat CL 350. What are Moors? (besides the spotted man in Costner's Robin Hood) sand dunes?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Well it looks like I wasn't the only one to get out. Great.

Chapomis, neat CL 350. What are Moors? (besides the spotted man in Costner's Robin Hood) sand dunes?
In other parts of the world it would be forests and fields, here its grass, scrub brush, and an occasional patch of black pine. If it can grow in very sandy soil and likes temperate conditions, it grows here. Most of the hardwood growth never gets beyond 5' tall and the pines grow to about 25' and die. Years ago it was sheep pasture, but very unlike mainland pastures. There are probably more unpaved roads here than there are paved roads. A lot are passable with 4 wheel drive, if you don't mind getting what we call "Nantucket Pinstripes". Other roads (more like trails) are pretty well suited for motorcycles, but are generally deeply rutted on either side with a tall hump in the middle. Lots of big puddles after a rain and the occasional deep patch of sand. Perfect for the TW, but I don't know how ACKCB does it on his R9T, even with knobbies.



[url=http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/aswreed/media/3750B49A-27C6-4AC3-89C0-732600133874_zpsctbajjfz.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/aswreed/media/9F120D65-4302-42D9-A627-0D6DACEBFACB_zps60av2fzc.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/aswreed/media/DDCDD29C-1EAB-4B76-AD8C-2F4BE02924A6_zpsfpcwtcyf.jpg.html]

Last picture is taken from our highest elevation, about 50' above sea level
 
FYI, all, as a pilot, I can inform you that that white cone shaped item in that last image is what all pilots used to use (some still may/do) to navigat ewith before the days of GPS. It is called a VOR (VHF Omni Directional Radio Range).

You can get all the details here if you so desire: VHF omnidirectional range - Wikipedia
 
rbike_imp said:
FYI, all, as a pilot, I can inform you that that white cone shaped item in that last image is what all pilots used to use (some still may/do) to navigat ewith before the days of GPS. It is called a VOR (VHF Omni Directional Radio Range).

You can get all the details here if you so desire: VHF omnidirectional range - Wikipedia
I was told that all international flights leaving New York for east bound destinations would have to pass over it. Probably not anymore.
 
Just like computers, phones, ... things are getting blurred at an extremely fast pace. In the following image you can see lines (called airways) that come together at certain points. That point is where one of those cone shaped items is located. Think of those lines as interstate highways. Just like GPS has almost replaced road maps, one is smart to never rely on only one form of navigation. In planes there are typically 3 types available at all times - depending on type & $$$$$. One would be wise to do likewise when travelling long distances on a bike - map, cell phone, gps, ... I corrected a navigator once when I discovered the Sun was in the wrong position compared to where it should of been based on his intended heading.

 
Back
Top