It's time to stay frosty.. and I don't mean the weather

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
Well, fellow riders, at least those of us who will continue to ride for the rest of the year...

We are officially entering the Holiday Season, and you know what that means. Very distracted drivers, wondering who's bringing cranberry sauce to dinner, whether the boss will give them Christmas week off or not, why does my husband want to start listening to Christmas music before Thanksgiving...

And for some reason, everyone forgets how to turn their headlights on.

Within the past two days, I've been cut off twice by daydreaming drivers pulling out from side streets. This morning, it was on my own street. Thankfully, with all of the random driving that must occur in India, Royal Enfield equips their bikes with very effective horns.



Keep your head on a swivel, folks!
 
always Gone, thanks for the reminder
 
I don’t know if there is a solution to this recent madness (after empty Covid highways) . It is just getting worse and worse. Cell phones texting and apathy .
 
Its now against the law here in Ohio to use a hand held cell phone, but they let people do it for the the last 10 years and there is no stopping them now. See it every day on every ride.
 
Any idea what might be the definition of "use" on a motorcycle in OH? That is, if it is clearly anchored down in a mount and not touched, is that still a violation?
 
In Queensland Australia it’s illegal to touch a mobile phone or to have it resting on any part of you in/on a moving vehicle. It can be mounted. You can touch a mounted phone to take a call, operate a navigation app or skip a song. You can operate a phone, whether mounted or not, by voice activation. We also now have mobile cameras which capture mobile phone use and result in large, enforced contributions to state revenue and the giving of demerit points.
 
I dont know about on a motorcycle, good question. Imagine if it is in a phone holder, and you are not pecking away on it, but rather using it for navigation, youd be ok.

According to google:

In Ohio, it is illegal to use or hold a cell phone or electronic device in your hand, lap, or other parts of the body while driving on Ohio roads. If an officer sees a violation, they can pull you over. Drivers over 18 years old can make or receive calls via hands-free devices, including: Speakerphone.

You can dial 911 in case of an emergency, but I dont believe you can otherwise touch it, with anything but a single button or swipe.
 
Thread starter
In CA, it’s illegal to have your phone in hand while driving. But I defy anyone to spot a driver who isn’t clutching one.
 
Given it's the driver's choice to touch or not to touch the phone, why the authorities don't go on a vigorous campaign to boost voluntary revenue payments, I will never know. I suspect an enthusiastic enough approach would at least limit the habit. The fine in Queensland is over AU$1,000 and 4 demerit points with double demerit points being awarded for a second or subsequent offence in the year after the first offence. Three offences and bye-bye licence.

It hasn't stopped the problem completely, but it doesn't seem to be as bad here as the situation you guys in the US describe.
 
Here in Canada and specifically in Ontario we must adopt Aussie police + add more penalties by removing idiots from our roads
 
Enforceability of many driving infractions in Canada (or at least in southern Ontario) has been soft over the past couple decades. It was never that way before. It might be a combination of large coverage area (i.e. very dense cage ownership to population) and/or insufficient policing budget to keep up. In those conditions the police have to choose which offences are immediately life endangering versus those to ignore. Certainly if you push your luck and show it off "in their face", you will get served.

I hope the trend is turning around, but the driving population here is immense (L.A. issue). In addition, recently immigration has been very strong and different driving attitudes have been imported into the province. For example, back in the 70's people would blame young "new Canadians" of bringing their Rome, Italy traffic racing habits here. Today, it is much more diverse.

There is a lot of technology in use here to monitor and automatically punish offenders both in cash and demerits points and they continue to expand the nanny network. It is sad that it is required. This is what happens when adult drivers (the majority are males) are unable to behave responsibly. Of course if it is a crime in progress (or an illegal driver), then forget everything I said altogether ... it is moot.
 
Here in western PA, you have a 1 in 60 chance of colliding with an animal...most likely a deer. A rider was killed here a few weeks ago after colliding with a deer on Interstate 79. It's difficult enough keeping watch for distracted cars, but my eyes are most wary of these large four legged pests.
 
Wagonpeddler_imp said:
Here in western PA, you have a 1 in 60 chance of colliding with an animal...most likely a deer. A rider was killed here a few weeks ago after colliding with a deer on Interstate 79. It's difficult enough keeping watch for distracted cars, but my eyes are most wary of these large four legged pests.
Those are actually pretty scary odds. :s I will give that more consideration the next time passing through PA - I reckon particularly at night.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Wagonpeddler_imp said:
Here in western PA, you have a 1 in 60 chance of colliding with an animal...most likely a deer. A rider was killed here a few weeks ago after colliding with a deer on Interstate 79. It's difficult enough keeping watch for distracted cars, but my eyes are most wary of these large four legged pests.
Those are actually pretty scary odds. :s I will give that more consideration the next time passing through PA - I reckon particularly at night.
Those are actually pretty scary odds. :s I will give that more consideration the next time passing through PA - I reckon particularly at night.
Years ago on the VTX forum, a rider posted a very gruesome story about hitting a cow at night on a VTX1800. He went through the animal and came out upright on the other side. The description of the experience was almost unreadable. He posted photos, but the first person who clicked on them immediately posted a warning begging readers not to look at them.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Wagonpeddler_imp said:
Here in western PA, you have a 1 in 60 chance of colliding with an animal...most likely a deer. A rider was killed here a few weeks ago after colliding with a deer on Interstate 79. It's difficult enough keeping watch for distracted cars, but my eyes are most wary of these large four legged pests.
Those are actually pretty scary odds. :s I will give that more consideration the next time passing through PA - I reckon particularly at night.
Those are actually pretty scary odds. :s I will give that more consideration the next time passing through PA - I reckon particularly at night.
Years ago on the VTX forum, a rider posted a very gruesome story about hitting a cow at night on a VTX1800. He went through the animal and came out upright on the other side. The description of the experience was almost unreadable. He posted photos, but the first person who clicked on them immediately posted a warning begging readers not to look at them.
Eh-shhhh. :s Just thinking 'bout it is a bit squirrelly.


Did a quick internet search. :) A lot of cows on motorcycles (southeast Asia).
 
Applying one’s imagination to that story supplies quite enough information without photos, Gone.

I suppose the book could be How I rode through a cow by Bulls Hit.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Applying one’s imagination to that story supplies quite enough information without photos, Gone.

I suppose the book could be How I rode through a cow by Bulls Hit.
:rofl:
 
Back
Top