Thanks to the CB1100 I'm now addicted to Muscle Bikes

tnelson99_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Picked up this 1986 Yamaha Fazer from the original owner yesterday.

And this 2005 Vmax from Paulibiker in Iowa a couple weeks ago. I'm still waiting for the Vmax to show up. It should be here in the next couple days.
 
Cool bike, congrats, hope will serve you well. Is it in good running condition as per pic?? :)
 
I loved the Phazer when I was a teenager. It was the third bike that I lusted after, the first two being the Kawasaki 900 Eliminator and Honda Nighthawk 750S. We got the 750cc bikes in Canada.

That Phazer looks mint.
 
That VMax is an amazing beast.
 
I recall riding my friend's VMAX at the local track back in the mid 80s. It was unbelievably good on the straight drag strip track, although above 135mph, the front end started to feel less than stable. On the road course, it was like a fish out of water. It didn't like hard corners and the ridiculous amount of power always threatened to break the rear tire loose coming out of a turn.

That said, it was a complete hoot to ride. Nothing like having more power available than you could possibly use. Congrats on the new toys, tnelson!
 
V Max first bike I ever got tunnel vision on while riding.

All I know about the Fazer is it's not as fast as the CBX I was riding when I raced against one lol. That's when I got pulled over for running 125 in a 25 lol. Oh to be young and foolish.... and survive.
 
I'd look the Fazer over closely as I think it has more done to it than just the pipe, if even just paint work which doesn't look stock to me.

I'd definitely check the jetting before I rode it much.

On the 'Max- be safe, hold on tight- and good luck. Drive it like a Prius unless the on a long straightaway- and that includes a long enough stopping distance.

Amazing how similar the bikes may be at first glance (given paint jobs, air intakes on tanks, silver cyl fins on black engine)- but ride the little guy wide open all day, no problem. Then get on the V-max and try that- either end up hurt, dead, or pooped pants!!
 
Flynrider_imp said:
I recall riding my friend's VMAX at the local track back in the mid 80s. It was unbelievably good on the straight drag strip track, although above 135mph, the front end started to feel less than stable. On the road course, it was like a fish out of water. It didn't like hard corners and the ridiculous amount of power always threatened to break the rear tire loose coming out of a turn.

That said, it was a complete hoot to ride. Nothing like having more power available than you could possibly use. Congrats on the new toys, tnelson!
I had a V65 that handled the exact same way. Weird riding position, too. And working on carbs was just :@

Muscle bikes remind me of what we used to say about the F-4 when I was in the Air Force: With enough thrust, even a brick can fly.
 
+1 on the V-max. If you've never been on one dip your toe in the pool slowly, or you might just die. They DO NOT like to go around corners, they were built for airstrips.
 
Thread starter
Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the comments. I've owned many motorcycles and know the reputation of the Vmax so I'm taking it easy.

The Vmax finally showed up yesterday and WOW, it's a beast. Not nearly as smooth as the CB but the rush of power is intense. Really the only thing it needs is a shift light. Having the tach on the tank looks cool but looking down at it at warp speed isn't.


The Fazer runs pretty good but it has a flat spot so it' s going into my mechanic next week for a tune and once over. The chain and sprockets are original so I ordered a 520 kit for it.


For now I'm keeping all 3 but the CB will likely be my dedicated touring bike since the other 2 are more fun for around town riding.
 
Back
Top