Thankful for the ferret

Guth_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I receive far far more feedback in support of the way this forum is run than I do complaints on this subject. However, I know that here on this forum and now elsewhere, the ferret occasionally takes some heat for his moderation decisions. Yet another example of this was recently brought to my attention. With that in mind, I wanted to take a moment to say a few things in his defense and to acknowledge how much I appreciate all that he does. (As these comments are unsolicited, I'll apologize in advance to Mickey if he happens to find this embarrassing.)

First and foremost, the ferret became the moderator here because I asked him to. He gave it a lot of thought before agreeing to do so. Having served as a moderator on other forums, he was very familiar with just how much of a headache it could be. Anyone that thinks he's been doing this for his ego is sadly mistaken. For the most part it is a thankless task that often tests ones patience and makes it difficult to remain balanced and objective. I can tell you that on many occasions he has proven to more tactful and patient than I would have been under the circumstances.

The other important thing that I want to note is that he has my full support in his moderation decisions. We almost always find ourselves on the same page when it comes to how we feel about things that happen around here. If you have a problem with the way this place is moderated, then know that this extends beyond the ferret and includes me as well. One of the things that I put in place is a word filter to prevent certain words from appearing in posts here. While a bit extreme, I've decided to error on the side of caution when it comes to this particular issue. If anyone feels that I'm not being fair letting some words pass and not others, it's probably due to the fact that I just haven't entered those words into the filter yet. This has nothing to do with the ferret. If you honestly feel that I've been over the top by including a particular word, then send me a note and let me know why.

Contrary to the small minority of folks that find themselves frustrated by the moderation efforts here, I feel extremely fortunate to have the ferret around and involved the day to day tasks required to keep this place the way it is. He brings a wealth of motorcycling experience rivaled by few along with the tendency to lead by example when it comes to treating others nicely. I on the other hand love bikes, but don't have nearly the experience and while I'm a nice enough guy, don't have nearly the patience that he does at the times when it's probably needed the most, plus I seem to have the tendency to stick my foot in my mouth every now and again. But then I'm human, and so is the ferret. I know that we can't please everyone, but we do our best to trying to be consistent. I just happen to feel that the ferret carries out the task of keeping this place in order extremely well.

I should also add that the vast majority of those who participate here don't really require moderation and that is also truly appreciated. I didn't write this post to raise the level of drama around here, which is extremely low to begin with compared to most other forums. Rather, it's all to easy to forget those who play a role in almost any operation that runs smoothy. I didn't want that to be the case when it comes to the ferret and all that he does here.
 
From my heart, you truly do a great job moderating this forum. The rules have clearly stated in the past and no one is perfect. The torn here is most civil. I believe this would not be nearly as great a site without you. So please don't take whatever is the latest drama to heart. Those that are unhappy can go elsewhere, but they should keep the negative criticism to themselves. I for one will be happy to ride and forum with you any day.

As my mother said "if you have nothing good do, then don't say it".


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I've never had a problem with the moderation here in over 18 months, good job guys!
It may be like the police, if you don't break the law, and follow rules, you don't have problems with them.
 
Mr. Ferret does a very fine job moderating but really don't notice the moderation since I only look at pictures on here :P
 
I'm boring and don't post much. Haven't hit a filter that I know of. This forum does make my shoulder hurt tho. Everytime I show the wife a farkle picture she hits me.

The civility of this forum is refreshing compared to one of my old haunts. I gave up on the drama and newb bashing. Don't miss the bike, don't miss the forum.
 
In my experiences the people who complain the most are always the last to offer to help out. Anyone who has ever coached a modern day youth sport will attest to that...

Keep up the good work guys....
 
I think ferret is doing a great job (he must have asked Guth another raise) :rofl:

I have beaten Guth word filter just watch= here is a couple of real stinky words - Limburger !! Lutefisk ! :excited:
 
This place is a great site, I enjoy reading a lot of posts even if I'm not a guy that mods my stuff. It's still fun to look at what people are willing to spend to customize this already fantastic bike.

Being a mod is a thankless job, done it in an alpha male driven once and never again. Keep up the good work.
 
I ve never been real big on forums until I bought my CB and found this excellent location to share ideas and learn from guys that have forgot more about bikes than I will ever know. There is a kindred spirit here with the utmost professional and friendly staff (Guth & Ferret) that I have ever had the pleasure of conversing with on topics of mutual interest and enthusiasm. Also the members here are what I consider a First Class group of individuals. Thanks to all.
 
I have no idea why ferret received grief recently, and want to say he shouldn't have to receive any. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.
This is one of the best if not THE best forum I've been associated with, and it's all due to ferret and Guth, and for that I want to say thank you! thank you! thank you!
 
My name is metallyguitarded and I have been moderated.

That's your cue to welcome me with, "Hello, metallyguitarded! Would you like to share today?"

That's when I sheepishly admit that in the beginning, before knowing any of the rules, I used some ... how should I say it ... enthusiastic, adult language in one of my posts. The ferret pointed out my transgression, I apologized and within a couple of days, I did it again. I'm a slow learner. Or, maybe, certain habits are harder to break than others. Always a gentleman, and with the patience described by Guth, the ferret would simply point out the error of my ways, replace my offensive diction and all would be right in the world once again.

The reason behind the censorship was politely explained and while I felt some of it went a bit far, I also realized and fully accepted that I was in Guth and the ferret's house and these were their rules. I am merely a guest. A guest who wishes to remain welcome and who enjoys and appreciates the atmosphere, the contributions, the personalities and even the moderation. Thank you ferret and thank you Guth. Thanks to all of you guys and gals. I truly enjoy this forum and happily refrain from fully exercising my First Amendment rights in exchange for a great place to share my love of this motorcycle with like-minded individuals.
 
Moderating and admin-ing is not for everyone and when right, is hardly noticed (and I don't so he is good. :D ). A few folks chaff at being muzzled; but I'd like to point out that they are not the center of the universe (I am, but I don't like to brag :angel: ).

So, have a vision, a focus, a reason to be; and mod for that. Folks that agree will flock around. Those that don't, they can find some place else that is a better fit. No such thing as a one size fits all.

I'll add, some folks just need to be told off (not many, and usually you do it well after they earned it) even when it typically is best to take the high road.
Oops, forgot to thank you both for your hard work.
 
I'll jump in . Ferret doing a great job as far as I'm concerned.

As a small example, the whole thread on leather jackets was great and now there is a package under the Xmas tree for me. Wonder what it is?
 
Wow...guess I missed something. I haven't posted much lately...I tend to come and go. But I have to second Guth... The Ferret does a fine job. This place is a great place to 'hang out' . I've enjoyed the banter back and forth and have learned alot. I especially enjoy the posts and photos from our friends around the world. I for one am glad that Guth started this and that he was able to recruit Ferret to 'run it'. Whatever happened... the people causing 'issues' don't speak for the rest of us. Kudos guys.
 
I could be wrong but my read of Guth's original post was that the ferret caught some grief over on the U.K. CB1100 forum. I haven't noticed any here. If there has been, it doesn't change the overwhelming show off support and appreciation expressed on this thread.
 
Both Guth and Ferret do a great job.

I've had many questions answered and purchases and mods guided by this forum. It has been a great resource. I even printed out Ferret's 600 mile check list and keep in on my CB for reference!

Open comments are a wild animal to keep controlled, many web sites are discontinuing comments for that reason. Ferret does a great job of keeping things civil and under control.

Thanks Ferret!
 
Back
Top