I thought I would share this... its a growing concern these days:
Breaking News - Top Local Stories - CityNews Ottawa
Breaking News - Top Local Stories - CityNews Ottawa
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
It's illegal here too, even when stopped at a traffic light, but the violations have become an epidemic.The ferret_imp said:yep big problem everywhere. Illegal to do in Ohio as well and I see people doing it all the time. The other day I saw a lady driving with her eyes closed while she sprayed her hair with hair spray, 2 or 3 big circles around her head. I thought really lady? Beside not being able to see where you are going, you are spraying that sticky stuff all over the interior of your car?
I agree with thatEmptySea_imp said:Phones are a big part of this problem, but it's not the phone; it's the driver. Drivers make a choice to engage in distracting activity and when the police see that manifest itself with erratic driving, they should charge the person and the penalty should be equivalent to driving while intoxicated.

So you've been dodging lots of birds lately.LongRanger_imp said:A few weeks ago a young dude in traffic next to me on the freeway was texting. I hit my horn to get his attention. When he looked up, I yelled "put down that phone!" He flipped me off.
A week later I was following a gal in a convertible on the roads near my home. She was driving erratically, and I noticed she was texting. I hit my horn and waved her over. She pulled onto the shoulder and as pulled alongside her, I asked her to kindly put down her phone while she was driving, because it's dangerous. She flipped me off too.
I've sent several e-mails to the Public Relations Officer at the local Sheriff's office asking them to contact me about this, but they've failed to do so.
Until this summer, DUI was a misdemeanor in Colorado. We've had many, many cases of multiple DUI offenders getting back behind the wheel and killing people. Once the law was changed and DUI became a felony, there was no agreement on mandatory sentencing, so while it's now a felony, there is no mandatory prison time. Just a slap on the hand.
Thank you! I responded to this thread before reading all the posts but I said basically the same thing!EmptySea_imp said:Phones are a big part of this problem, but it's not the phone; it's the driver. Drivers make a choice to engage in distracting activity and when the police see that manifest itself with erratic driving, they should charge the person and the penalty should be equivalent to driving while intoxicated.
An interesting perspective, to be sure. Here's my perspective on this perspective:co6aka_imp said:There is a different opinion on the subject. I can't recall where I read it, but here it is. Before smartphones became ubiquitous, road rage was a huge problem. Now, it is a lot less of a problem, as people are paying less attention to the road, and more to the phone. Take if for what it may, but, on a motorcycle, I'd much rather deal with careless / distracted driver than with an enraged one. If you're riding like you're invisible, anticipate people making idiotic moves, and leave yourself a way out, you will arrive home safe. On a bike, I'd much rather deal with traffic situation that's turning into a reading room, rather than a wild rodeo of people gone mad. YMMV.
That would be great, but manuals are becoming relics, unfortunately. That is all I have driven most of my life because I enjoy it, but in the convenience culture we live in that'll never happen. And I can see the argument against stick when one has a long commute stuck in bumper to bumper. That just sucks.LongRanger_imp said:Rather than self-driving cars, my approach would be different (and very unlikely): Require all cars to be sold with manual-shift transmissions. Abolish automatics. I can't imagine trying to drive a stick while texting, although I'm sure somebody would be able to figure it out.