Test rode a new Indian Chieftain today

PowderToastMan_imp

Been there
Thread starter
This was my first time to ever ride a cruiser, and my first time to ride an American made bike.





My impressions:
It is pretty big and bulky compared to the CB of course. When I first sat down, I was a little worried that I'd have trouble putting my feet so far forward, especially the gear shifting action. But after I first got rolling, I got oriented with that pretty immediately.

It doesn't take off nearly as quickly or as smoothly as the CB in first gear, but it does start to pick up a little in 2nd and 3rd gear. With my usual throttle twist habits, it felt really slow, but I'm sure that if I opened it up a little more it would take off at some point. Hard to fully evaluate this when you just do a few miles around town.

Handling is much easier than I expected for the size and weight, I didn't have any trouble making regular city street turns or the U-turn at the end when bringing the bikes back. Give the bars a little push and it responds in a nice loosey-goosey way, for lack of a better way to describe it. Probably not as nimble in the twisties as the CB, but I'm sure I could handle my usual riding places at a more moderate pace.

When I got back on the CB to come home, that 20 minute ride was enough to disorient me with the location of the foot pegs at first, and the CB felt physically very small, but super nimble and quick. Different strokes, I guess! Gotta say I had a pretty fun time.. if I won the lottery or doubled my salary overnight, I'd love to have one I suppose.
 
Pretty awesome...I'm very happy to see the Indian name revived.

I did just learn that it's Polaris that's building these things now, but I'm totally fine with that.
I'd love to see them give Harley Davidson some good competition, as that is always a good thing.
 
I was going to go to this, but I'm otherwise unavailable.
 
They're nice looking bikes and seem to carry on the look that Indian may have had if they had not gone bankrupt. A local pharmacy owner has one and loves it. For the money, a better buy than a comparable Harley.
 
Thread starter
Randy B_imp said:
I was going to go to this, but I'm otherwise unavailable.
I was wondering if you would have wanted to do this if available, so I would have checked with you, too.

They seem pretty cool about letting people do more extended demo rides, so give 'em a call when you get better!
I might do that and see if I can get a little twisties action in.. a lot of the people there suggested getting on the freeway to open it up a little more, but I'd still prefer the hills and curves.
 
Elipten_imp said:
I have never ridden a cruiser style bike. Not sure about the feet forward thing.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I rode a few Harley's, Fat Boy, Electra Glide, and a piglet.

Nice fun for an hour or so, wouldn't want to own one. Same reason I don't have a pet dinosaur....
 
I sometimes ride my father´s genuine ´41 Chief with three speed transmission and leaf spring front suspension:-) I would like to give a new Indian a try - that would be hard in my part of woods...From the videos and pistures I´d say they nailed it with the look and proportions of the new Chieftain..
 
primary drive consists of 4 row primary chain with simple tensioner, secondary drive is provided via regular chain. Check out Indian Power-Plus which used rear leaf spring suspension. It was too complicated and expensive so Indian returned for hard tail construction for all 20s and 30s.
yeah and second sprocket on the transmission is for kickstarter.
 
 
Thread starter
Nice! I had wanted to go to the one in Hollister but didn't manage to get the "kitchen pass" for that one. I didn't know there would be one in San Jose at the time. Then I heard about it on the radio over the last couple weeks and thought about it but assumed I wouldn't be able to swing it.
Got up Sunday morning at 9:30 and said "hey I wanna go do this thing at 10, will try to be back ASAP, OK?" and actually managed it!

And yeah, I think I'm a lot more at home on the CB, since I like to be in the hills more than around town or on the freeway. And it's just more practical and you get a lot more bang for your buck to boot.
But if I wanted to buy American I might be inclined to lean toward the Indian Vintage or a Victory based on looks and features. I haven't ridden a Harley yet so I guess I should reserve my judgement!
 
I've taken two test rides on the naked Chief; first one was disappointing, the second ride a year later was much better. So I'll recommend that you do a second test ride down the road and see if your perception changes. The bike will still be heavy and the ergo's will still be cruiser like.

A writer in OZ reviewed the bike and rode the you know what out of it and was very impressed with the handling.
 
Hittheroad_imp said:
I wish they would make the Scout again. A bit smaller, more nimble, and affordable.
They do make the scout again. It's a water-cooled smaller v-twin, but still seems to do well in reviews. It's quite similar to the Victory Octane, as they're based on the same engine and chassis.
 
ss2wheels_imp said:
Big heavy clunky with really bad throttle lag, I will keep my currant rides thank you!
My Dyna Super Glide was actually quite fun to ride, decent lean angle, good engine. Some cruisers are pretty cool. I don't care for all that weight on any motorcycle.
 
Back
Top