Test ride? In Los Angeles?

Tysondusch_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Anyone have an idea on where I can test ride the CB1100 in LA? Not had much luck at a couple local dealerships. I am debating between the CB1100 and a Guzzi V7 Stone. Thanks,
 
Good luck on that. I fought and fought for test rides and ultimately did not get one until I put down a deposit on a used 2013 CB. Seems it taboo in the motorcycle industry to let a old guy ride a bike a few miles and I still dont understand why. When I finally was able to test ride the one I bought they had a man go with me on another motorcycle. It took me a couple of miles to know this was the bike I wanted to buy. The stealer told me that they had somebody steal one on a test ride which I think is utter BS but that was their excuse.

This has frustrated me to to no end. I can go drive a 50K Ford F150 at the drop of the hat but cant test ride a new 10-15 K Honda motorcycle. Something needs to change here.

I actually had a stealer want to test ride the 750 NIghthawk I own that I wanted to trade on a CB1100 but they would not let me ride theirs. I told them to stick that where the sun does not shine. I still cant believe they had the gall to ask.

Im not helping you much but just sharing my experience. These 1100s are great bikes but I dont blame you for wanting to take a test spin before you commit to so much money.
 
Thread starter
OldF7Guy_imp said:
Good luck on that. I fought and fought for test rides and ultimately did not get one until I put down a deposit on a used 2013 CB. Seems it taboo in the motorcycle industry to let a old guy ride a bike a few miles and I still dont understand why. When I finally was able to test ride the one I bought they had a man go with me on another motorcycle. It took me a couple of miles to know this was the bike I wanted to buy. The stealer told me that they had somebody steal one on a test ride which I think is utter BS but that was their excuse.

This has frustrated me to to no end. I can go drive a 50K Ford F150 at the drop of the hat but cant test ride a new 10-15 K Honda motorcycle. Something needs to change here.

I actually had a stealer want to test ride the 750 NIghthawk I own that I wanted to trade on a CB1100 but they would not let me ride theirs. I told them to stick that where the sun does not shine. I still cant believe they had the gall to ask.

Im not helping you much but just sharing my experience. These 1100s are great bikes but I dont blame you for wanting to take a test spin before you commit to so much money.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this- I also think this will be tough to find. I had no problem test riding a Bonnie and Guzzi V7 Stone at a dealer in Montrose recently. I know I like the Guzzi better than the Bonnie, but I would love to try to CB1100 and see how that compares to the V7. I will continue to look for that test ride!
 
Best of luck to you and if you like the Bonnie or V7 buy it. The CB1100 imo is a better bike but there is no way it can suit you if you can ride it!!!! I know where you are coming from. I like the V7 myself but have never rode one. I stay furious as to why Honda stealers think their stuff is too good to ride. They have good products imo and wont even let an old man like me test ride them. Im not a kid that wants the keys to a corvette.
 
I doubt it has to do with age, just too many accidents and liability issues I suspect. Also what does the dealership do with one of each model with a few hundred miles on it? It is hard enough for the dealerships to sell a new CB1100 let alone one with miles on it.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Someone in the trade is welcome to enlighten me but the way I understand it works, at least in large dealerships, is that demo bikes belong to the dealership and are then sold as used when the time comes. The demo CB I rode had several hundred kms on it. A recent test of a VFR 800 showed it had around 3000kms on the clock. Demo bikes are common for sale in Aussie dealerships.

Cheers
 
Won't help much but my dealer here in Cinti allows test rides.
 
Most non-Japanese dealers do not allow test rides. When I worked at a dealership we did not allow test rides, could not afford the insurance. Low volume dealer, razer thin margins. Most dealerships that sold only machines went out of business after a few years because of the lack of money flow.

I've ridden the Bonnie, one was meh, the other was pretty good (after market pipe, gave it more character) and the V7. I preferred the V7 to the first Bonnie, but it lost by ever so little of margins to the second Bonnie - not sure which one I would have bought. But the CB is better than either. But I'm a tall lanky guy with a long inseam so the physically larger frame of the CB had a lot going for it. Plus I think the build quality of the CB is far ahead of the Bonnie. But if you are into British twins it is a very very good bike and that is one to get. If the V7 fits you pretty good (I had two complaints on the V7, I didn't fit it all that well and I felt the CB was a better value) there is a lot to like about the V7. Or even a Griso for not much more than the CB (as well as more power, more character and its' Italian!).

I bought the Griso first, then the CB (I made a bet, not expecting the CB to be imported and bought the Griso, darn, had to get the CB when she arrived - I fully expected to sell the Griso thinking the two bikes would be too similar; that has not been the case and don't quite follow the shoot offs in the press involving the CB and Griso). Very much like apples and oranges.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Won't help much but my dealer here in Cinti allows test rides.
Im am curious if that is just for you or just anybody that is serious. You have a good relationship with your dealer and they know you are a hard core motorcyclist. I have no doubt they would give you the keys to a goldwing in a heartbeat if you ask for them or anything else for that matter.

Me, by the time I get to the dealership, I have done my homework on everything including the product and price and am well armed with information. I dont go in half stepping was turned down I know 3 times. My last hope was to hope one of you nice folks at the CB1100 rally next may let me take a spin on one while you followed on my Nighthawk. Lucky for me I was finally able to cut a deal with a refundable deposit if I didnt like it.

Its aggravating I tell you. I had several follow up calls about hey are you ready to buy ect... My response, yeah I already bought because you boneheads would not let me ride the CB. Nice work and maybe you need to look at your policy on no test rides. That po'd a lot of salesmen off I know. It took me 2 miles to know I wanted the CB1100. THats it. Dealers are stupid for not profiling people when they pull in on another Honda inline 4 and noticing their age ect.... Dumb dumb dumb. Instead, they want to play games with financing and all of the other tricks. They seem disappointed when they find out you have cash. It cuts their bag of tricks down to zero other than price.
 
OldF7guy... I'd like to tell you the reason I can ride any bike in the shop at any time is because I am personal friends with the owner ( which I am) and that they know I am a good and competent rider (which they do) but the fact is the dealer puts people out on test rides all the time. I have been down there and watched people wobble out of the parking lot on test rides, with the owner, and salesman standing there holding their breath hoping against hope that the customer doesn't crash. He knows that's a test ride is the easiest way to seal a deal.
 
^ditto regarding my dealer. I test rode a cb1100 months before I closed the deal on one and I know it wasn't because of my relationship with my dealer. It was because they had a demo available.
 
There are 2 dealers i have created relationships with in my area, i sometimes get a call from them asking if i want to demo a new model which was the case with the CB. I have bought a lot of bikes from both, i guess when there slow the figure I'll buy one:D
 
V7 is an excellent bike. Ridden it. I'm a Guzzi fan from way back. Down on power though. If you don't ride briskly, it'll be just fine. The CB, even restricted is stronger, a lot more fun. Re-flashed even better.
 
I watched a guy flip a bike at a dealership on a test ride. While the shop guys and the salesman ran to look at the condition of the Honda, the test rider limped off to his truck to never be seen again.

The dealership where I have purchased several bikes only allows test rides after the bike is purchased. If the purchaser doesn't like the bike they can back out of the deal then, and people often do.
 
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
V7 is an excellent bike. Ridden it. I'm a Guzzi fan from way back. Down on power though. If you don't ride briskly, it'll be just fine. The CB, even restricted is stronger, a lot more fun. Re-flashed even better.

Yes, nice bike. I have a mate who has one. Down on power maybe but he sure can get through the corners quickly. I pick him up on the exit but it's hard work to stay with him in the tight bits.

Cheers.
 
The ferret_imp said:
OldF7guy... I'd like to tell you the reason I can ride any bike in the shop at any time is because I am personal friends with the owner ( which I am) and that they know I am a good and competent rider (which they do) but the fact is the dealer puts people out on test rides all the time. I have been down there and watched people wobble out of the parking lot on test rides, with the owner, and salesman standing there holding their breath hoping against hope that the customer doesn't crash. He knows that's a test ride is the easiest way to seal a deal.
I understand that I do. I understand liability issues as well. But big motorcycle manufactures like HD have ride days and pretty much let anybody on anything. I can tell real quick if I like something or not.

There is a whole lot to be said for having a good relationship with a local dealer and I will never have that. Its just not going to happen. So I turn to the internet for information and deals. Over the years, it has cost them thousands not counting the rip off sales tax we have here in Ky. But, its cost me a lot of time searching this out but it was worth it.

Everybody in this age is profiled to some degree and if you cannot profile a older guy on a 750 Nighthawk inquiring about a CB1100 then you know zero about the market.

Its a great bike but you cant ride it. We dont allow test rides. Heck, sign me up. I want 3 of them. How stupid is that????

It took me a deposit to get a short test ride of about 2 miles and that is all that I needed. I knew this is what I wanted. These foolish dealers would not give up 2 miles on the odometer for my approval. How foolish.
 
I get test rides at one local Honda dealership but I am an old guy who bought his first bike from them in 1974...er...my father bought it for my brother and I. Test rides sell more bikes for sure. But not everyone SHOULD test ride a bike. Most young guys will just flog the thing, not even broken in. I watched my brother in law take a friend's Harley to the end of the street and dump it when he had to stop and turn it around.
 
Back
Top