Ten Things I like about my CB

Rexburgtom_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Took a long day ride today near the Tetons and into Jackson.

Thought about ten things I really like about my CB:
-It's a standard and doesn't look like a transformer toy.
-It's black and chrome.
-it's a Honda, reliability.
-It does not have spoke wheels.
-It's an 1140 cc air cooled, inline four.
-It does not have ABS brake system.
-I added grip puppies.
-It has highway pegs.
-It's a six speed transmission.
-It has a chain, A CHAIN!

What all these have in common is that I have heard the CB1100 series described by Honda reps. at the Tokyo motorcycle show as a "Mature Rider" product for the older buyer! Shish...…...
 
Beautiful region for a ride!

My favorite thing? It's just a great motorbike, pure and simple. It doesn't need to be categorized or try to be anything it's not.
 
Rexburgtom_imp said:
Took a long day ride today near the Tetons and into Jackson.

Thought about ten things I really like about my CB:
-It's a standard and doesn't look like a transformer toy.
-It's black and chrome.
-it's a Honda, reliability.
-It does not have spoke wheels.
-It's an 1140 cc air cooled, inline four.
-It does not have ABS brake system.
-I added grip puppies.
-It has highway pegs.
-It's a six speed transmission.
-It has a chain, A CHAIN!

What all these have in common is that I have heard the CB1100 series described by Honda reps. at the Tokyo motorcycle show as a "Mature Rider" product for the older buyer! Shish...…...
Teton Pass? I (and my CB) love that road!
 
Yep, easy bike to fall in love with
I posted this Nov 2017 re 2014 model:
• I prefer the 4 into 1 exhaust for appearance, lighter weight, chain access and nostalgia for my 1976 CB750F.
• a steel fuel tank, although I like the style and extra capacity of the aluminum 2017 tank
• alloy wheels, which are easier to clean and mush easier to deal with a tubeless tire puncture on the road
• and the black/chrome appearance, with reminds me of my first bike, when I was 16

I appreciate having access under the seat (lock system similar to my V7II) without removing bolts and having some storage under the seat.

NGK LMAR8A-9S (stock 6817) are available from O’reilly’s for $5.99 each.
 
Hey, Doc! Good to see you. How are you?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Hey, Doc! Good to see you. How are you?
6th nerve palsy of right eye has completely recovered.
Inconclusive re stroke or whatever.

Shared the 2016 Nissan Frontier with my wife for 3 months after selling CB1100 in September and "retiring" from 55 years of motorcycling.

Wonder who in Las Vegas bought my pristine 2014 with scrambler tires (12,500 miles in 10 months).

Bought a 2019 Kia Soul base model (6 speed manual) in December. Added full size spare, installed factory cruise control and improved battery ground (directly to engine, in addition to through the frame)...otherwise stock.

I've been lurking here occasionally, but few issues to address and those seemed to have been well answered.

Thanks for asking
 
Good thread. This is my first Honda and I'm very pleased with it.
- I've owned mostly European bikes. It's nice having a bigger dealer support network, including a great service shop nearby!
- More than enough power to pull the relatively heavy sidecar that I had attached to it.
- I really like the look of the bike.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Hey, Doc! Good to see you. How are you?
6th nerve palsy of right eye has completely recovered.
Inconclusive re stroke or whatever.

Shared the 2016 Nissan Frontier with my wife for 3 months after selling CB1100 in September and "retiring" from 55 years of motorcycling.

Wonder who in Las Vegas bought my pristine 2014 with scrambler tires (12,500 miles in 10 months).

Bought a 2019 Kia Soul base model (6 speed manual) in December. Added full size spare, installed factory cruise control and improved battery ground (directly to engine, in addition to through the frame)...otherwise stock.

I've been lurking here occasionally, but few issues to address and those seemed to have been well answered.

Thanks for asking
That is quite the riding career SportsterDoc. Hope the health becomes less of an issue.

'19 Kia Soul - good. I have an '11 Soul and still going well, no issues, and low cost of ownership. I have beat it down with heavy applications, but it seems to run very well and still gets the fuel economy of its first year.
 
They seem to be popular around here. I always wondered if Kia's were any good.
 
The ferret_imp said:
They seem to be popular around here. I always wondered if Kia's were any good.
I think many Kia models are good, but not all of them.

That I know are good 2011 and later:

* Soul
* Stinger (also kind of incredible looking - for a cage)

That I know can be problematic:

* Rio
* Sportage

If it weren't for the Soul, I am pretty sure I'd be driving a Honda Element (now discontinued), an HRV or some CRV thing.

I'd still be, and still riding the CB1100.
 
Things I like about my 2017 CB1100 EX
It is the closest thing I could buy that looks like the 2014 Deluxe
It reminds me of motorcycles I rode in the 60s and 70s
It has double walled chrome exhaust headers that don’t discolour
It has twin mufflers with a nice exhaust note, although not obnoxious
It has twin shocks, not a motocross rear end
It has fenders that actually keep you dry when riding on wet streets
The motor is not hidden behind plastic shrouds
The transmission does not go CLUNK when you engage first gear
The motor purrs and never seems stressed no matter what the speed
It has instruments I can actually read
I did not have to pay extra for a center stand
Bikers at rest stops frequently compliment what a beautiful motorcycle it is

Things I disliked when I first bought my 2017 CB1100 EX
The rock hard small diameter handlegrips that cramped my hands within an hour until I added Grip Puppies
The seat that has me squirming after 90 minutes of riding until I bought a taller one
Spokes that were a pain to clean until I switched to chain wax
Handlebars that had me leaning forward until I added bar backs
In 2017 there were no replacement Dunlop tires in North America

Things I still dislike about my 2017 CB1100 EX
It is both heavy at very slow speed and top heavy at stops
The front brakes squeal at each stop
It is the heavier to place on the center stand than a Goldwing
It is very expensive to insure despite it calm demeanour
And worst of all the last two years have had the longest Winters, and the coldest, wettest and windiest Springs
 
peterbaron_imp said:
+! ^^, glad you are back again Doc, how was your trip with KIA-SUV??
:)
Peter, I think I mentioned in one of my emails to you that wife and I took or were getting ready to take the Soul to Death Valley...on the same routes that I took the Moto Guzzi and the CB1100. Good cornering over Jubilee Pass and somewhere close to 40 MPG. I am satisfied with it for my current use.

Had a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe with 3.3 V6 until 2016. Put 140,000 + miles on it with only a couple relatively minor issues.

Whenever we replace the 2016 Nissan Frontier 4.0 V6 4WD, I would consider a Hyundai or KIA AWD or Subaru Outback or Forrester.
 
1) It’s easy to ride
2) The engine has the right power and torque for real world street riding
3) It’s comfortable ergonomics wise
4) lots of metal and not a lot of plastic
5) black and chrome
6) inline 4 smoothness
7) great transmission
8) all the control are right where you need them to be
9) mirrors are actually useful
10) classic look that always makes me look back at it before I walk away
Almost forgot
11) hydraulic clutch
12) dual front brakes
13) analog speedometer and tachometer that you can see in the sun
 
1) Parts don't cost as much as a BMW
2) It doesn't have ABS, which on a BMW costs as much to repair as the bike is worth
3) It reminds me of my old CBs
4) I love the red/silver color combination
5) I haven't seen another one on the road yet
6) My wife thinks it's pretty
7) It's narrow enough to fit behind my car in the garage and still be able to walk around it with the door shut
8) It's quiet enough that my neighbors still like me when I come home late at night
9) It doesn't wake my wife up when I come home late at night
10) My wife doesn't know that I was out late at night
 
The transmission does not go CLUNK when you engage first gear.

This is an interesting statement. My 2014 dlx has the loudest first gear clunk of any bike I have owned (about 25) except for my 1968 BSA 250. I would like to know what makes your bike different - is it possibly the oil? (What brand and weight oil do you use?). Is it possibly the chain tension? Do you tend to keep you chain adjusted on the tight side?
 
Every Honda and Triumph I've ever owned clunks going into first. This bike is no different for me.
 
Back
Top