Tempted To Trade Her In

The ferret_imp said:
Doc...just going by things I have heard... Isn't the life expectancy of a belt generally less than that of an oring chain? Doesn't it take a specific tool to adjust, and isn't it very difficult to replace?
I am still on my original belt with 110,000km (68,000 miles) and still have room for tightening yet.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Doc...just going by things I have heard... Isn't the life expectancy of a belt generally less than that of an oring chain? Doesn't it take a specific tool to adjust, and isn't it very difficult to replace?
Based upon input on the XLForum, life expectancy is very long. Howver, a pebble thrown between belt and pulley can beak it...they do not stretch at all...adjustment is seldom required. When tension warrants adjustment, just move the axle, as on a CB. Slack is measured same as chain.

Never had to replace, personally, but have high-mileage friends who has done it on the road. I understand about the same as replacing a closed loop chain (pull axle, remove one shock).

I was cautious on fire roads, but no problems.

Taking youngest grandson to ranch in Arizona, tomorrow...no email or internet for 3 days. Have a safe trip!
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I'm seeing loads of K1600GT's on the roads these days, and far fewer RT's than in the past.
This might be another consideration.

I went on a spirited ride last weekend with five BMW's from my little town with a population of 3000.

Two of them were K 1600's just like mine ( well one was a GT and one was a GTL but close enough) the other two were RT's. They were all old men just like me most of them retired.

I learned Indiana has more curvy roads than I thought and I'm not the only one that likes the curves :-)

This in contrast to nearest CB is like a hundred miles from me.

My point is you may find more people to ride with certain motorcycles than you do others.
 
Banned_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Doc...just going by things I have heard... Isn't the life expectancy of a belt generally less than that of an oring chain? Doesn't it take a specific tool to adjust, and isn't it very difficult to replace?
I am still on my original belt with 110,000km (68,000 miles) and still have room for tightening yet.
I am still on my original belt with 110,000km (68,000 miles) and still have room for tightening yet.
SportsterDoc_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Doc...just going by things I have heard... Isn't the life expectancy of a belt generally less than that of an oring chain? Doesn't it take a specific tool to adjust, and isn't it very difficult to replace?
Based upon input on the XLForum, life expectancy is very long. Howver, a pebble thrown between belt and pulley can beak it...they do not stretch at all...adjustment is seldom required. When tension warrants adjustment, just move the axle, as on a CB. Slack is measured same as chain.

Never had to replace, personally, but have high-mileage friends who has done it on the road. I understand about the same as replacing a closed loop chain (pull axle, remove one shock).

I was cautious on fire roads, but no problems.

Taking youngest grandson to ranch in Arizona, tomorrow...no email or internet for 3 days. Have a safe trip!
Based upon input on the XLForum, life expectancy is very long. Howver, a pebble thrown between belt and pulley can beak it...they do not stretch at all...adjustment is seldom required. When tension warrants adjustment, just move the axle, as on a CB. Slack is measured same as chain.

Never had to replace, personally, but have high-mileage friends who has done it on the road. I understand about the same as replacing a closed loop chain (pull axle, remove one shock).

I was cautious on fire roads, but no problems.

Taking youngest grandson to ranch in Arizona, tomorrow...no email or internet for 3 days. Have a safe trip!

Interesting. ONe time when I was researching the differences between belt, chain and shaft for life expectancy, servicability etc for an internet conversation, I thought I had read the belt should be replaced every 25,000 miles, that belt tension was measured with a tool nobody but the dealer had, and that replacing it was a hard as replacing the clutch on a BMW.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Banned_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Doc...just going by things I have heard... Isn't the life expectancy of a belt generally less than that of an oring chain? Doesn't it take a specific tool to adjust, and isn't it very difficult to replace?
I am still on my original belt with 110,000km (68,000 miles) and still have room for tightening yet.
I am still on my original belt with 110,000km (68,000 miles) and still have room for tightening yet.
SportsterDoc_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Doc...just going by things I have heard... Isn't the life expectancy of a belt generally less than that of an oring chain? Doesn't it take a specific tool to adjust, and isn't it very difficult to replace?
Based upon input on the XLForum, life expectancy is very long. Howver, a pebble thrown between belt and pulley can beak it...they do not stretch at all...adjustment is seldom required. When tension warrants adjustment, just move the axle, as on a CB. Slack is measured same as chain.

Never had to replace, personally, but have high-mileage friends who has done it on the road. I understand about the same as replacing a closed loop chain (pull axle, remove one shock).

I was cautious on fire roads, but no problems.

Taking youngest grandson to ranch in Arizona, tomorrow...no email or internet for 3 days. Have a safe trip!
Based upon input on the XLForum, life expectancy is very long. Howver, a pebble thrown between belt and pulley can beak it...they do not stretch at all...adjustment is seldom required. When tension warrants adjustment, just move the axle, as on a CB. Slack is measured same as chain.

Never had to replace, personally, but have high-mileage friends who has done it on the road. I understand about the same as replacing a closed loop chain (pull axle, remove one shock).

I was cautious on fire roads, but no problems.

Taking youngest grandson to ranch in Arizona, tomorrow...no email or internet for 3 days. Have a safe trip!

Interesting. ONe time when I was researching the differences between belt, chain and shaft for life expectancy, servicability etc for an internet conversation, I thought I had read the belt should be replaced every 25,000 miles, that belt tension was measured with a tool nobody but the dealer had, and that replacing it was a hard as replacing the clutch on a BMW.
I am still on my original belt with 110,000km (68,000 miles) and still have room for tightening yet.
SportsterDoc_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Doc...just going by things I have heard... Isn't the life expectancy of a belt generally less than that of an oring chain? Doesn't it take a specific tool to adjust, and isn't it very difficult to replace?
Based upon input on the XLForum, life expectancy is very long. Howver, a pebble thrown between belt and pulley can beak it...they do not stretch at all...adjustment is seldom required. When tension warrants adjustment, just move the axle, as on a CB. Slack is measured same as chain.

Never had to replace, personally, but have high-mileage friends who has done it on the road. I understand about the same as replacing a closed loop chain (pull axle, remove one shock).

I was cautious on fire roads, but no problems.

Taking youngest grandson to ranch in Arizona, tomorrow...no email or internet for 3 days. Have a safe trip!
Based upon input on the XLForum, life expectancy is very long. Howver, a pebble thrown between belt and pulley can beak it...they do not stretch at all...adjustment is seldom required. When tension warrants adjustment, just move the axle, as on a CB. Slack is measured same as chain.

Never had to replace, personally, but have high-mileage friends who has done it on the road. I understand about the same as replacing a closed loop chain (pull axle, remove one shock).

I was cautious on fire roads, but no problems.

Taking youngest grandson to ranch in Arizona, tomorrow...no email or internet for 3 days. Have a safe trip!

Interesting. ONe time when I was researching the differences between belt, chain and shaft for life expectancy, servicability etc for an internet conversation, I thought I had read the belt should be replaced every 25,000 miles, that belt tension was measured with a tool nobody but the dealer had, and that replacing it was a hard as replacing the clutch on a BMW.
My Road King has its original belt at 28,000 miles. On visual inspection, it looks just fine. I can't remember the last time it needed adjustment between tire changes. There is a special tool to check tension, but it is a little spring loaded thing and is cheap to buy, although with a bit of experience you don't need it. All that said, to replace a belt on my Road King requires removal of the swingarm, which requires pounding the rear swingarm bolt out from rubber bushings called cleveblocs, which can be an enormous pain. Once that is done, you have to remove the inner primary, which is another major disassembly headache. Off comes the outer cover, then the stator and compensator, along with the clutch to get the primary chain off. Mine is a bit older so the exhaust system comes off to access the starter, which also comes off. It is not a roadside affair.
 
The belt on my F800GT has a recommended 24,000 mile replacement interval but can be changed on the side of the road in about thirty minutes (so they say).
 
Thread starter
I decided to keep my 2016 CB1100.
Things didn't feel right at the Harley dealership today. Riding my CB home felt good. I could breathe, relief. Got a great bike that I can trust and a dependable dealership that knows me by name and a forum that has gobs of knowledge about my bike. The riding season is almost over up here anyway. I'm going to place an order with Samurider and get a slip-on for the Girl instead...
 
Good for you. Walking away because it didn’t feel right was sensible. There will be other chances if the urge comes again.
 
apex1_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Banned_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Doc...just going by things I have heard... Isn't the life expectancy of a belt generally less than that of an oring chain? Doesn't it take a specific tool to adjust, and isn't it very difficult to replace?
I am still on my original belt with 110,000km (68,000 miles) and still have room for tightening yet.
I am still on my original belt with 110,000km (68,000 miles) and still have room for tightening yet.
SportsterDoc_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Doc...just going by things I have heard... Isn't the life expectancy of a belt generally less than that of an oring chain? Doesn't it take a specific tool to adjust, and isn't it very difficult to replace?
Based upon input on the XLForum, life expectancy is very long. Howver, a pebble thrown between belt and pulley can beak it...they do not stretch at all...adjustment is seldom required. When tension warrants adjustment, just move the axle, as on a CB. Slack is measured same as chain.

Never had to replace, personally, but have high-mileage friends who has done it on the road. I understand about the same as replacing a closed loop chain (pull axle, remove one shock).

I was cautious on fire roads, but no problems.

Taking youngest grandson to ranch in Arizona, tomorrow...no email or internet for 3 days. Have a safe trip!
Based upon input on the XLForum, life expectancy is very long. Howver, a pebble thrown between belt and pulley can beak it...they do not stretch at all...adjustment is seldom required. When tension warrants adjustment, just move the axle, as on a CB. Slack is measured same as chain.

Never had to replace, personally, but have high-mileage friends who has done it on the road. I understand about the same as replacing a closed loop chain (pull axle, remove one shock).

I was cautious on fire roads, but no problems.

Taking youngest grandson to ranch in Arizona, tomorrow...no email or internet for 3 days. Have a safe trip!

Interesting. ONe time when I was researching the differences between belt, chain and shaft for life expectancy, servicability etc for an internet conversation, I thought I had read the belt should be replaced every 25,000 miles, that belt tension was measured with a tool nobody but the dealer had, and that replacing it was a hard as replacing the clutch on a BMW.
I am still on my original belt with 110,000km (68,000 miles) and still have room for tightening yet.
SportsterDoc_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Doc...just going by things I have heard... Isn't the life expectancy of a belt generally less than that of an oring chain? Doesn't it take a specific tool to adjust, and isn't it very difficult to replace?
Based upon input on the XLForum, life expectancy is very long. Howver, a pebble thrown between belt and pulley can beak it...they do not stretch at all...adjustment is seldom required. When tension warrants adjustment, just move the axle, as on a CB. Slack is measured same as chain.

Never had to replace, personally, but have high-mileage friends who has done it on the road. I understand about the same as replacing a closed loop chain (pull axle, remove one shock).

I was cautious on fire roads, but no problems.

Taking youngest grandson to ranch in Arizona, tomorrow...no email or internet for 3 days. Have a safe trip!
Based upon input on the XLForum, life expectancy is very long. Howver, a pebble thrown between belt and pulley can beak it...they do not stretch at all...adjustment is seldom required. When tension warrants adjustment, just move the axle, as on a CB. Slack is measured same as chain.

Never had to replace, personally, but have high-mileage friends who has done it on the road. I understand about the same as replacing a closed loop chain (pull axle, remove one shock).

I was cautious on fire roads, but no problems.

Taking youngest grandson to ranch in Arizona, tomorrow...no email or internet for 3 days. Have a safe trip!

Interesting. ONe time when I was researching the differences between belt, chain and shaft for life expectancy, servicability etc for an internet conversation, I thought I had read the belt should be replaced every 25,000 miles, that belt tension was measured with a tool nobody but the dealer had, and that replacing it was a hard as replacing the clutch on a BMW.
My Road King has its original belt at 28,000 miles. On visual inspection, it looks just fine. I can't remember the last time it needed adjustment between tire changes. There is a special tool to check tension, but it is a little spring loaded thing and is cheap to buy, although with a bit of experience you don't need it. All that said, to replace a belt on my Road King requires removal of the swingarm, which requires pounding the rear swingarm bolt out from rubber bushings called cleveblocs, which can be an enormous pain. Once that is done, you have to remove the inner primary, which is another major disassembly headache. Off comes the outer cover, then the stator and compensator, along with the clutch to get the primary chain off. Mine is a bit older so the exhaust system comes off to access the starter, which also comes off. It is not a roadside affair.
That sounds more like what I read when I was doing the research. Maybe Sportsters are different?

Mandrau_imp said:
I decided to keep my 2016 CB1100.
Things didn't feel right at the Harley dealership today. Riding my CB home felt good. I could breathe, relief. Got a great bike that I can trust and a dependable dealership that knows me by name and a forum that has gobs of knowledge about my bike. The riding season is almost over up here anyway. I'm going to place an order with Samurider and get a slip-on for the Girl instead...
Ya know Mandrau if you change your mind someday down the road, you can always sell the CB and get a Harley. In the meantime you have a terrific machine to ride.
 
Glad you made a choice you are happy with, and that is right for you! I know I have wrestled with choices from time to time, and have found that usually if something just does not feel right, frequently it is not right. I also know the feeling of relief from making the right choice. It does not get any better than having a bike you love riding, and a dealer with a service department that takes good care of you and your ride.
 
It really was a no lose situation, at least in regards to the motorcycle itself. Either way you ended up with a great bike.

I often defend HDs as my experience has been nothing less than stellar but that only goes as far as the bikes themselves, individual dealers must stand on their own merits and I freely admit that some dealers have "attitudes". In my experience it's typically the younger employees.

I will offer that I often experience the same thing when I pull into non-Harley dealers on my HD.
 
Yes, if something does not feel right go with your gut. Time is on your side; and as it has been pointed out, you have a good bike already - and now you have the winter to think things through (and if an HD is really in your future, you have time to find a different dealer).
 
Thread starter
You said it Rboe.. Time is on my side, yes it is...Besides, I want to be sure that Harley has rectified that potential sumping issue with some 2017/2018 M8's. I wish there was an Indian dealership less than five hours away though.
 
Do what your soul yearns for. If HD flows in those vains, but all means quench that thirst. Just remember to wave to your friendly and former CB Forum folks as they blissfully pass by you.
 
Back
Top