Tank Warning Decals

First thing I have done to every bike I have gotten. I always wondered this too, as I bought a 12 year old bike one time that still had them. They were a real pain to get off after being on that long.
 
Pulled mine off first thing when I got the bike home from the dealer.
 
Took em off my CB, they are still on my ST since 2006
 
Thread starter
My Valkyrie came to with the stickers still on. It was 1 y/o and had 2250 miles on it. I wondered why the previous owner had left them on. First order of business was to take them off, and I could see the outline of them after they were off, for a while.
 
The first thing that I do when I get home is to take the stickers off.

When I buy a piece of furniture or a bed mattress the FIRST thing I do is remove the DO NOT REMOVE tag.
 
I removed mine after a month or so (when I got around to it). On the CB1100, the white and yellow stickers detract from the beautiful paint job on the tank. Conversely, my '93 CB750 still has its single tank sticker. It's mostly clear with subdued lettering. I never removed it because I really didn't notice it much.

If you're going to remove them, the sooner the better. If your bike spends enough time in the sun, the paint under the sticker will be darker than the surrounding paint after awhile. Leaving dark rectangles where the stickers used to be.
 
Guess I'll be removing mine this weekend to prevent/minimize the dark rectangles. Is a hair dryer a must or can I just peel them off and use goo gone on the residue?
 
I think I used a hair dryer on mine, but I may have just let it sit in the sun for a short while. Can't remember. They will come right off though.
 
I asked the shop to remove them before delivering the bike. I do the same with a new laptop etc. as I want them to take responsibility should something go wrong. The bike (or the laptop etc.) was not designed with those ugly stickers on them.

What I hate the most is when a car dealer puts their own stickers in the car window before delivering a new car. First thing I do is ask them to either take them right off, or pay me for the advertisement!
 
Every other bike I've had, I've left them on. Recently tried to remove the sticker from a 10 year old Suzuki. Impossible. Wouldn't come off, and the few scraps I could get off showed a much different color of paint underneath. Of course the rest of the bike is pretty rough by now, so no big deal.

But I pulled the stickers off the CB as soon as I pulled up in the driveway after riding home from the dealership. Do it immediately or do it never.
 
BestStandard_imp said:
Guess I'll be removing mine this weekend to prevent/minimize the dark rectangles. Is a hair dryer a must or can I just peel them off and use goo gone on the residue?
I took mine off after it sat in the sun one day. They just peeled right off.
 
I always remove mine immediately too - mainly to prevent the darker rectangles already mentioned.
Better to let the paint fade over the years in a uniform manner.
Plus, they're just plain ugly on a beautiful gas tank :D
 
Back
Top