Tank underside / interfaces

The Gecko_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Would anybody happen to have taken a photo of the underside of an tank (EX / 2017 or later) ? A photo detailed enough to show the interfaces with the rest of the bike (mechanical, gasline, ...).

If so, would you please post it in high resolution and add the manufacturing year of your bike ?

The purpose of this is to find out if the tanks in years 2017, 2018 and 2019 have changed at all ...
Thanks you !!
 
I'd be real surprised if anyone who has a 2017 (or later?) has had the tank off, much less taken (and kept) a picture of it.
I have a nice 2013 and have never had the tank off.
Most of the folks here are very helpful, so if one has what you need, it won't be long before you get an answer.
In this case, it could be the silence is your answer.
Good luck.
 
The Gecko_imp said:
Would anybody happen to have taken a photo of the underside of an tank (EX / 2017 or later) ? A photo detailed enough to show the interfaces with the rest of the bike (mechanical, gasline, ...).

If so, would you please post it in high resolution and add the manufacturing year of your bike ?

The purpose of this is to find out if the tanks in years 2017, 2018 and 2019 have changed at all ...
Thanks you !!
w
You 2017, the last year CB1100 was sold in the US. 2018 and 2019 would have to be non-US models. Are you asking if the 2017 tank can be interchanged with 2013 and 2014, you can look at these links:

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=15904&highlight=tank+interchange

and

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=15242&highlight=tank+interchange
 
I have a 2017 tank sitting in a box. I'll dig it out and take a pic, but I'm not sure that you'll get what you want from that. The "mechanical" interface is a couple of receiver channels on the under side of the front end and a bracket with a bolt hole on the back end. If the dimensions are similar but not the same you'd not likely see a difference.

The fuel interface is with the fuel pump, not the tank itself. The fuel pump is part of an assembly that also has the float and sender. If you are swapping out the tank, you'd ideally want to use the same pump to save money.

The easiest way to tell (I would think) is to look at the part numbers for the tank and the pump for those model years and see if they are the same. Even if they aren't, things still might work, but if they are the same, you should be good to go.
Update. I looked on the Samurider site and their K10 tank fits everything from 2010 to 2021....so the mechanical fit underneath the tank must be the same and the fuel pump hole pattern / gasket must be the same.
 
If I recall correctly, the 2010-2013 fuel pump is different to the 2014 and later.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
If I recall correctly, the 2010-2013 fuel pump is different to the 2014 and later.
They are different, but both fit either. The fuel float system is calibrated differently and the older one will read full for a time while the additional fuel capacity is burned off. They both still read empty at empty, though I can't swear as to how linear the older system would read in a newer tank. With my K10 tank, my gauge reads full for the first 35 miles or so with my 2017 sensor and seems pretty linear after that...but that's a function of the tank interior shape.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Mmm. See http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=4402. Is there some issue with different pressures?
There would be if you wanted to use a pump from a '13 on a '14 or beyond or vice-versa (according to the referenced post at least), but if your goal is to swap tanks and you want to reuse the pump that you already have (which is the typical case) the pump can be re-used in the updated tank.

If you are updating to a newer larger tank, the float / sender assembly will cause the gauge to show full for some number of miles until enough fuel is burned off, but in the case of my 2017 being used in a Samurider tank, it shows empty at empty at least.
 
Thread starter
The A-man_imp said:
I think i have a pic of a 2014 DLX tank.
Could you please post it or send it !
Thanks
tommymck_imp said:
I have a 2017 tank sitting in a box. I'll dig it out and take a pic, but I'm not sure that you'll get what you want from that. The "mechanical" interface is a couple of receiver channels on the under side of the front end and a bracket with a bolt hole on the back end. If the dimensions are similar but not the same you'd not likely see a difference.

The fuel interface is with the fuel pump, not the tank itself. The fuel pump is part of an assembly that also has the float and sender. If you are swapping out the tank, you'd ideally want to use the same pump to save money.

The easiest way to tell (I would think) is to look at the part numbers for the tank and the pump for those model years and see if they are the same. Even if they aren't, things still might work, but if they are the same, you should be good to go.
Update. I looked on the Samurider site and their K10 tank fits everything from 2010 to 2021....so the mechanical fit underneath the tank must be the same and the fuel pump hole pattern / gasket must be the same.
@tommymck
That helps a lot !!! Because each tank comes with a different Honda part number (for manuf.year and color), which is confusing and doesn't help to know which tanks fit a bike or not ... apart from the obvious change in 2017.
From what you say I take that if my pump fits the tank, the rest is easy. If my (new) tank doesn't fit I could buy a matching pump too, and make it fit that way. And with your update it seems that even this is all worth a try with little risk. But it would still be great if you could send me (or post) that picture.
Big "hug" in advance !
 
tommymck_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Mmm. See http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=4402. Is there some issue with different pressures?
There would be if you wanted to use a pump from a '13 on a '14 or beyond or vice-versa (according to the referenced post at least), but if your goal is to swap tanks and you want to reuse the pump that you already have (which is the typical case) the pump can be re-used in the updated tank.

If you are updating to a newer larger tank, the float / sender assembly will cause the gauge to show full for some number of miles until enough fuel is burned off, but in the case of my 2017 being used in a Samurider tank, it shows empty at empty at least.
There would be if you wanted to use a pump from a '13 on a '14 or beyond or vice-versa (according to the referenced post at least), but if your goal is to swap tanks and you want to reuse the pump that you already have (which is the typical case) the pump can be re-used in the updated tank.

If you are updating to a newer larger tank, the float / sender assembly will cause the gauge to show full for some number of miles until enough fuel is burned off, but in the case of my 2017 being used in a Samurider tank, it shows empty at empty at least.
Thank you Tommy.
 
Gecko, I don't believe I welcomed you to the Forum as a new member. Welcome and tell us about your bike, or the bike you wish to have if you don't have a CB1100 yet. Also, we welcome photos, even of the bike torn down in your shop, if that's the case. Again, welcome and thanks for joining us.
 
Hi Gecko, here are two pics that show the entire underside of a 2014 DLX tank. I hope this helps!

d69fcbb8ec3dccbdcf2a2f7e042deedc.jpg


fd6c0f6411d2e5fbec1f1dcbfdec7a98.jpg
 
Thread starter
Thanks Nacho, I manged to secure a 2017 EX in Madison, MS, but boy, she was in really sad a shape. The price fitted my kitty, but the last owner must have mistaken my girl for the African Queen and took a mud bath with her. Didn't do her all too well, some pieces beyond repair (among them the tank), and Honda parts aren't exactly cheap. I guess you know that already. But hey, I 'll get my baby back in shape ... in a few months just as my notoriously empty kitty and the bi-weekly trickle paychecks permit. Pray for me !

PS: I am sorry, but our first photo date will have to wait until we're both ready for it, she is too young (5y) and I am looking too old pulling out from under the m/c lift (turning 42 this year). But when the mud's cleaned off, pipes polished, oil change, and when I have found all the parts for her revival ... Boy, that list is still sooo looooong.
The A-man_imp said:
Hi Gecko, here are two pics that show the entire underside of a 2014 DLX tank. I hope this helps!

d69fcbb8ec3dccbdcf2a2f7e042deedc.jpg


fd6c0f6411d2e5fbec1f1dcbfdec7a98.jpg
Does a lot !
Now I understand the other post about the interfaces. Thanks !
 
Thread starter
ymtnpoah11_imp said:
Welcome Gecko and best of luck in your repairs! You've come to the right place.
Guess I need it, luck I mean. Still counting and classifying the injuries. Next will be triage.
 
Gecko, 42 is young for this forum. I’d also suggest getting your post count over 25 soon so that you can use the wanted to buy/sell part of the forum to help any quest for parts.
 
Thread starter
Thanks Cormanus, for your kind words. Make me feel already much better ;)
I'll work on the post count (didn't know about this).
 
Ok Gecko,

Go welcome some new members and wish happy birthday in the birthday thread.

Don’t tell Ferret and Cormanus I told you this ;)
 
Back
Top