Tank Removal...

Bazbro_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Everyone says what a swine it is getting at and undoing the fuel pipe connectors under the tank.

I have fitted these...
29bac9d9ba60417b6022adebbfbb7464.jpg

...to my BMW and they're very easy to use.

Would it be possible and advantageous to fit these to the CB's fuel line, to aid tank removal in the future?

Unfortunately, I won't be catching the first glimpse of my CB1100 until next May (when I return to the UK) so I can't go and have a look and fiddle with it until then.

Any thoughts?

(Help! I can't seem to post that pic,??)
 
HERE IS YOUR PIC

679cf9a258b0dd02cdd41f64944be22d.jpg


Is this joint for high fuel pressure (55 PSI) ????
I leave mine as OEM, can remove tank within 5 min
:)
 
Honda uses a quick release that has an extra black rubber piece as an added safeguard, and to keep the fitting clean. Once you know to pull it out first, it's easy. The problem on the CB1100 is that you can barely get a hand in underneath to access it. An extra inch of fuel line would help.

That quick release pictured shows hose barbs that slide onto the hose, and must be clamped in place. I wouldn't trust regular screw-type hose clamps. As peterbaron says, it must withstand high pressures, well above the 55 psi working pressures.
 
From various posts here, I think Honda changed the quick release fitting beginning in 2017. I don't know if the ones pictured about are pre-2017 or 2017 and later. It might be worth consulting a factory service manual which if I am remembering correctly actually has instructions for both.
 
Thread starter
Thanks Peter and you guys. Much appreciated.

So a bit of extra length of fuel hose might be all that's needed?
 
Bazbro_imp said:
Thanks Peter and you guys. Much appreciated.

So a bit of extra length of fuel hose might be all that's needed?
From this pic, hose inlets seem to be for low pressure like carbs, not FI, and you cannot just put on a simple fuel clamp and tighten it with a screwdriver, no, no.
Perhaps this unit is for FI, but needs special type/high pressure clamps???
Check its application first...
:)
 
Bazbro_imp said:
Thanks Peter and you guys. Much appreciated.

So a bit of extra length of fuel hose might be all that's needed?
I've only removed the tanks on 2013 and 2014 standard models, so can't speak about others. Extending the fuel line is not easy and not recommended. The clamps on the hose are not re-usable, and again, you don't want to use screw-type clamps. I use a short section of 2x4 to prop it up 4", and then it's relatively painless.
 
The picture is NOT the fitting for the 2017. There is a white plastic clip that is a non-obvious "tool" to help disengage the fitting. If you do it the "wrong" way (that is, the way that I did it...) the "tool" will come off never to be put back on again. The good news is that even after the plastic tool/clip comes off, you can still use it to disengage the fitting.

For me at least, the issue wasn't the length of the hose, but rather the strangely complicated fitting. Once you figure it out though, it isn't an issue...
 
Line quick release connector design probably optimized not just for convenience, but vibration and heat expansion/contraction reliability too.
 
Thread starter
All good info, folks. Thanks for your input.
I can't wait to get to grips with my 'bike now! It's so frustrating! :)
 
I would like some more into on this Quick Release Fuel Connection, price, part number and where to get them.

I am looking for a Quick Release Fuel Connection for a bike build. I need to be able to disconnect and still be able to hold the fuel in the tank. I would like to have the option to drain afterwards too.

Any thoughts as to what would work best would be very appreciated.
 
Thread starter
teamvisegrip_imp said:
I would like some more into on this Quick Release Fuel Connection, price, part number and where to get them.

I am looking for a Quick Release Fuel Connection for a bike build. I need to be able to disconnect and still be able to hold the fuel in the tank. I would like to have the option to drain afterwards too.

Any thoughts as to what would work best would be very appreciated.
These - https://tinyurl.com/y3pc8fa8 - are the sort of items I've fitted to my BMW to facilitate easy tank removal, but that's a simple gravity-feed system.
Questions have been raised by the guys here on whether they are suitable for 50+ psi pressure-fed systems.
Keep us posted as to what you discover?
Good luck with the build..
 
teamvisegrip_imp said:
I would like some more into on this Quick Release Fuel Connection, price, part number and where to get them.

I am looking for a Quick Release Fuel Connection for a bike build. I need to be able to disconnect and still be able to hold the fuel in the tank. I would like to have the option to drain afterwards too.

Any thoughts as to what would work best would be very appreciated.
These inexpensive quick disconnects are designed to be used with a petcock or gas valve. They do not have any check-valve on either side to hold fuel in the line, and will be open on both sides when disconnected.

Look for metal ones to do that, like those used for air compressor hose lines. Be sure they are fuel resistant. And if you use one like that, and have the check-valve end on the tank hose, it will not drain unless you put an open male coupler on it.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
teamvisegrip_imp said:
I would like some more into on this Quick Release Fuel Connection, price, part number and where to get them.

I am looking for a Quick Release Fuel Connection for a bike build. I need to be able to disconnect and still be able to hold the fuel in the tank. I would like to have the option to drain afterwards too.

Any thoughts as to what would work best would be very appreciated.
These inexpensive quick disconnects are designed to be used with a petcock or gas valve. They do not have any check-valve on either side to hold fuel in the line, and will be open on both sides when disconnected.

Look for metal ones to do that, like those used for air compressor hose lines. Be sure they are fuel resistant. And if you use one like that, and have the check-valve end on the tank hose, it will not drain unless you put an open male coupler on it.
These inexpensive quick disconnects are designed to be used with a petcock or gas valve. They do not have any check-valve on either side to hold fuel in the line, and will be open on both sides when disconnected.

Look for metal ones to do that, like those used for air compressor hose lines. Be sure they are fuel resistant. And if you use one like that, and have the check-valve end on the tank hose, it will not drain unless you put an open male coupler on it.
+ 1 = Right on, do it right or do NOT do it at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
I dunno. Me, personally, I’d just leave it stock (and I did). You’ll need to figure out the stock arrangement anyway just to remove the tank. And once you do, it really isn’t so terrible. My issue was that the whole thing is non-obvious. Removing a tank is common enough that I’d have thought that the design of the release mechanism could have been a little more straightforward... that’s all. When you figure it out, it isn’t that bad. It just took me a few hours to figure it out. Were I to do it again, a tank swap would be a 45 minute job at most, but the fuel line part of it would add maybe a few minutes extra over some easier quick disconnect.

My main advice is to have patience the first go-round. Like most things mechanical, the problem will succumb to perseverance.
 
Thread starter
tommymck_imp said:
I dunno. Me, personally, I’d just leave it stock (and I did). You’ll need to figure out the stock arrangement anyway just to remove the tank. And once you do, it really isn’t so terrible. My issue was that the whole thing is non-obvious. Removing a tank is common enough that I’d have thought that the design of the release mechanism could have been a little more straightforward... that’s all. When you figure it out, it isn’t that bad. It just took me a few hours to figure it out. Were I to do it again, a tank swap would be a 45 minute job at most, but the fuel line part of it would add maybe a few minutes extra over some easier quick disconnect.

My main advice is to have patience the first go-round. Like most things mechanical, the problem will succumb to perseverance.
Thanks, Tommy. :D
 
Back
Top