Tank Fun

tommymck

Been there
Thread starter
This was waiting for me when I got home....

3161c349e6b24b23698d6acb76e7e105.jpg


I've been struggling with disconnecting the fuel line for the last half-hour. I need to invest in the 2017 shop manual anyway, but I'm sensing that this is something I'll need to wrestle with even with that. Could have just had the local dealer swap it out, but where is the fun in that???
 
tommymck_imp said:
This was waiting for me when I got home....

3161c349e6b24b23698d6acb76e7e105.jpg


I've been struggling with disconnecting the fuel line for the last half-hour. I need to invest in the 2017 shop manual anyway, but I'm sensing that this is something I'll need to wrestle with even with that. Could have just had the local dealer swap it out, but where is the fun in that???

It’s not an easy connector to deal with in the cramped space under the tank. There is a rubber tab you pull first. It doesn’t come off but it allows the connector pinch points to be squeezed to release. It just takes some persistence. The shop manual recommends replacing them every time they are removed. If you are careful you ca reuse it but if you have spares it means you can be as rough as you want removing it. It took me a few times if disconnecting it to get the hang of it. Putting it back on is best done by putting the outer part on the tank and the inner part on the hose and then snapping in place. You just have to get the rubber piece with the tab lined up correctly first or the two halves won’t mate. Sorry I don’t have pictures.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
chync_imp said:
tommymck_imp said:
This was waiting for me when I got home....

3161c349e6b24b23698d6acb76e7e105.jpg


I've been struggling with disconnecting the fuel line for the last half-hour. I need to invest in the 2017 shop manual anyway, but I'm sensing that this is something I'll need to wrestle with even with that. Could have just had the local dealer swap it out, but where is the fun in that???

It’s not an easy connector to deal with in the cramped space under the tank. There is a rubber tab you pull first. It doesn’t come off but it allows the connector pinch points to be squeezed to release. It just takes some persistence. The shop manual recommends replacing them every time they are removed. If you are careful you ca reuse it but if you have spares it means you can be as rough as you want removing it. It took me a few times if disconnecting it to get the hang of it. Putting it back on is best done by putting the outer part on the tank and the inner part on the hose and then snapping in place. You just have to get the rubber piece with the tab lined up correctly first or the two halves won’t mate. Sorry I don’t have pictures.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not an easy connector to deal with in the cramped space under the tank. There is a rubber tab you pull first. It doesn’t come off but it allows the connector pinch points to be squeezed to release. It just takes some persistence. The shop manual recommends replacing them every time they are removed. If you are careful you ca reuse it but if you have spares it means you can be as rough as you want removing it. It took me a few times if disconnecting it to get the hang of it. Putting it back on is best done by putting the outer part on the tank and the inner part on the hose and then snapping in place. You just have to get the rubber piece with the tab lined up correctly first or the two halves won’t mate. Sorry I don’t have pictures.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sure I'll sort it out. Based on the description that you provide, and what I found searching posts here, I'm wondering if the 2017 is different. There is a white clip that I managed to remove. But I there isn't much in the way of rubber tabs that I can see. It's clear that there is a trick to this, but I haven't found it yet. Any suggestions welcome...and when I figure it out, I'll post what I found....

1240bd591291fedd79e123787b982a5d.jpg


16b42045ef21a63c8bc36691cb8acfd1.jpg
 
OMG that is a gorgeous tank. Hope you get it worked out so we can see it.
 
Thread starter
max_imp said:
Here are some pictures of the connector spread out over the thread if that helps;
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12258&highlight=blue+connector
Thanks, but images don't show up for me. I did scroll through the thread and saw the Dilbert video...so there is that...
The ferret_imp said:
OMG that is a gorgeous tank. Hope you get it worked out so we can see it.
Thanks! Comes with the side covers as well

7f4063ab3cfb9619c62d5325c12b533c.jpg


Worst case is that I ride down to the local dealer and get them to do it, but it'll be more fun to figure it out myself. I'm still thinking that the 2017 is different than prior years based on the descriptions that I've seen.
 
Don't show up, hmmm.
looking at the ( nice ) pics it seems the white tab stops the black insert from moving back out of the connector ( clue ).
Does one part of the connector rotate?
 
Thread starter
Not with respect to the other. The whole assembly rotates around the solid line. I think a real 2017 service manual is in order...
 
tommymck_imp said:
chync_imp said:
tommymck_imp said:
This was waiting for me when I got home....

3161c349e6b24b23698d6acb76e7e105.jpg


I've been struggling with disconnecting the fuel line for the last half-hour. I need to invest in the 2017 shop manual anyway, but I'm sensing that this is something I'll need to wrestle with even with that. Could have just had the local dealer swap it out, but where is the fun in that???

It’s not an easy connector to deal with in the cramped space under the tank. There is a rubber tab you pull first. It doesn’t come off but it allows the connector pinch points to be squeezed to release. It just takes some persistence. The shop manual recommends replacing them every time they are removed. If you are careful you ca reuse it but if you have spares it means you can be as rough as you want removing it. It took me a few times if disconnecting it to get the hang of it. Putting it back on is best done by putting the outer part on the tank and the inner part on the hose and then snapping in place. You just have to get the rubber piece with the tab lined up correctly first or the two halves won’t mate. Sorry I don’t have pictures.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not an easy connector to deal with in the cramped space under the tank. There is a rubber tab you pull first. It doesn’t come off but it allows the connector pinch points to be squeezed to release. It just takes some persistence. The shop manual recommends replacing them every time they are removed. If you are careful you ca reuse it but if you have spares it means you can be as rough as you want removing it. It took me a few times if disconnecting it to get the hang of it. Putting it back on is best done by putting the outer part on the tank and the inner part on the hose and then snapping in place. You just have to get the rubber piece with the tab lined up correctly first or the two halves won’t mate. Sorry I don’t have pictures.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sure I'll sort it out. Based on the description that you provide, and what I found searching posts here, I'm wondering if the 2017 is different. There is a white clip that I managed to remove. But I there isn't much in the way of rubber tabs that I can see. It's clear that there is a trick to this, but I haven't found it yet. Any suggestions welcome...and when I figure it out, I'll post what I found....

1240bd591291fedd79e123787b982a5d.jpg


16b42045ef21a63c8bc36691cb8acfd1.jpg

It’s not an easy connector to deal with in the cramped space under the tank. There is a rubber tab you pull first. It doesn’t come off but it allows the connector pinch points to be squeezed to release. It just takes some persistence. The shop manual recommends replacing them every time they are removed. If you are careful you ca reuse it but if you have spares it means you can be as rough as you want removing it. It took me a few times if disconnecting it to get the hang of it. Putting it back on is best done by putting the outer part on the tank and the inner part on the hose and then snapping in place. You just have to get the rubber piece with the tab lined up correctly first or the two halves won’t mate. Sorry I don’t have pictures.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sure I'll sort it out. Based on the description that you provide, and what I found searching posts here, I'm wondering if the 2017 is different. There is a white clip that I managed to remove. But I there isn't much in the way of rubber tabs that I can see. It's clear that there is a trick to this, but I haven't found it yet. Any suggestions welcome...and when I figure it out, I'll post what I found....

cd2475df8a4172fb2f1ebfd23167b5f4.jpg


26b86cd5c2f172e2643e42ae835231d1.jpg


Looks like the white clip might replace the rubber tab. I have a 2014 but I put a 2017 tank on it. The older style connector worked. Looks like they changed it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not an easy connector to deal with in the cramped space under the tank. There is a rubber tab you pull first. It doesn’t come off but it allows the connector pinch points to be squeezed to release. It just takes some persistence. The shop manual recommends replacing them every time they are removed. If you are careful you ca reuse it but if you have spares it means you can be as rough as you want removing it. It took me a few times if disconnecting it to get the hang of it. Putting it back on is best done by putting the outer part on the tank and the inner part on the hose and then snapping in place. You just have to get the rubber piece with the tab lined up correctly first or the two halves won’t mate. Sorry I don’t have pictures.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sure I'll sort it out. Based on the description that you provide, and what I found searching posts here, I'm wondering if the 2017 is different. There is a white clip that I managed to remove. But I there isn't much in the way of rubber tabs that I can see. It's clear that there is a trick to this, but I haven't found it yet. Any suggestions welcome...and when I figure it out, I'll post what I found....

893a7ac3c1558e321abd9803c2c76bc1.jpg


ddfd8f762c9992ae1458d70c23a4957d.jpg


Looks like the white clip might replace the rubber tab. I have a 2014 but I put a 2017 tank on it. The older style connector worked. Looks like they changed it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you zoom in on the pic of the connector you can see one of the two tabs you have to press while pulling the inner piece out. It’s hard because fat fingers don’t fit in the gap where the tabs are. Maybe some angled pliers make it easier.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
beautiful color and watching with enthusiasm. I tried several times to get that thing apart and gave up. was lucky all i wanted was to run an air hose under the tank and hide the horn under there also.
would love to see pic's of it apart . Good luck , it is worse than RLETS
 
Thread starter
chync_imp said:
tommymck_imp said:
chync_imp said:
tommymck_imp said:
This was waiting for me when I got home....

3161c349e6b24b23698d6acb76e7e105.jpg


I've been struggling with disconnecting the fuel line for the last half-hour. I need to invest in the 2017 shop manual anyway, but I'm sensing that this is something I'll need to wrestle with even with that. Could have just had the local dealer swap it out, but where is the fun in that???

It’s not an easy connector to deal with in the cramped space under the tank. There is a rubber tab you pull first. It doesn’t come off but it allows the connector pinch points to be squeezed to release. It just takes some persistence. The shop manual recommends replacing them every time they are removed. If you are careful you ca reuse it but if you have spares it means you can be as rough as you want removing it. It took me a few times if disconnecting it to get the hang of it. Putting it back on is best done by putting the outer part on the tank and the inner part on the hose and then snapping in place. You just have to get the rubber piece with the tab lined up correctly first or the two halves won’t mate. Sorry I don’t have pictures.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not an easy connector to deal with in the cramped space under the tank. There is a rubber tab you pull first. It doesn’t come off but it allows the connector pinch points to be squeezed to release. It just takes some persistence. The shop manual recommends replacing them every time they are removed. If you are careful you ca reuse it but if you have spares it means you can be as rough as you want removing it. It took me a few times if disconnecting it to get the hang of it. Putting it back on is best done by putting the outer part on the tank and the inner part on the hose and then snapping in place. You just have to get the rubber piece with the tab lined up correctly first or the two halves won’t mate. Sorry I don’t have pictures.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sure I'll sort it out. Based on the description that you provide, and what I found searching posts here, I'm wondering if the 2017 is different. There is a white clip that I managed to remove. But I there isn't much in the way of rubber tabs that I can see. It's clear that there is a trick to this, but I haven't found it yet. Any suggestions welcome...and when I figure it out, I'll post what I found....

1240bd591291fedd79e123787b982a5d.jpg


16b42045ef21a63c8bc36691cb8acfd1.jpg

It’s not an easy connector to deal with in the cramped space under the tank. There is a rubber tab you pull first. It doesn’t come off but it allows the connector pinch points to be squeezed to release. It just takes some persistence. The shop manual recommends replacing them every time they are removed. If you are careful you ca reuse it but if you have spares it means you can be as rough as you want removing it. It took me a few times if disconnecting it to get the hang of it. Putting it back on is best done by putting the outer part on the tank and the inner part on the hose and then snapping in place. You just have to get the rubber piece with the tab lined up correctly first or the two halves won’t mate. Sorry I don’t have pictures.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sure I'll sort it out. Based on the description that you provide, and what I found searching posts here, I'm wondering if the 2017 is different. There is a white clip that I managed to remove. But I there isn't much in the way of rubber tabs that I can see. It's clear that there is a trick to this, but I haven't found it yet. Any suggestions welcome...and when I figure it out, I'll post what I found....

cd2475df8a4172fb2f1ebfd23167b5f4.jpg


26b86cd5c2f172e2643e42ae835231d1.jpg


Looks like the white clip might replace the rubber tab. I have a 2014 but I put a 2017 tank on it. The older style connector worked. Looks like they changed it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not an easy connector to deal with in the cramped space under the tank. There is a rubber tab you pull first. It doesn’t come off but it allows the connector pinch points to be squeezed to release. It just takes some persistence. The shop manual recommends replacing them every time they are removed. If you are careful you ca reuse it but if you have spares it means you can be as rough as you want removing it. It took me a few times if disconnecting it to get the hang of it. Putting it back on is best done by putting the outer part on the tank and the inner part on the hose and then snapping in place. You just have to get the rubber piece with the tab lined up correctly first or the two halves won’t mate. Sorry I don’t have pictures.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sure I'll sort it out. Based on the description that you provide, and what I found searching posts here, I'm wondering if the 2017 is different. There is a white clip that I managed to remove. But I there isn't much in the way of rubber tabs that I can see. It's clear that there is a trick to this, but I haven't found it yet. Any suggestions welcome...and when I figure it out, I'll post what I found....

893a7ac3c1558e321abd9803c2c76bc1.jpg


ddfd8f762c9992ae1458d70c23a4957d.jpg


Looks like the white clip might replace the rubber tab. I have a 2014 but I put a 2017 tank on it. The older style connector worked. Looks like they changed it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you zoom in on the pic of the connector you can see one of the two tabs you have to press while pulling the inner piece out. It’s hard because fat fingers don’t fit in the gap where the tabs are. Maybe some angled pliers make it easier.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not an easy connector to deal with in the cramped space under the tank. There is a rubber tab you pull first. It doesn’t come off but it allows the connector pinch points to be squeezed to release. It just takes some persistence. The shop manual recommends replacing them every time they are removed. If you are careful you ca reuse it but if you have spares it means you can be as rough as you want removing it. It took me a few times if disconnecting it to get the hang of it. Putting it back on is best done by putting the outer part on the tank and the inner part on the hose and then snapping in place. You just have to get the rubber piece with the tab lined up correctly first or the two halves won’t mate. Sorry I don’t have pictures.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sure I'll sort it out. Based on the description that you provide, and what I found searching posts here, I'm wondering if the 2017 is different. There is a white clip that I managed to remove. But I there isn't much in the way of rubber tabs that I can see. It's clear that there is a trick to this, but I haven't found it yet. Any suggestions welcome...and when I figure it out, I'll post what I found....

7d9149ace9b0e8d92e53bd5f77fea058.jpg


7e324f8170d2b8835e88f98a5ca383a8.jpg


Looks like the white clip might replace the rubber tab. I have a 2014 but I put a 2017 tank on it. The older style connector worked. Looks like they changed it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chync_imp said:
tommymck_imp said:
chync_imp said:
tommymck_imp said:
This was waiting for me when I got home....

3161c349e6b24b23698d6acb76e7e105.jpg


I've been struggling with disconnecting the fuel line for the last half-hour. I need to invest in the 2017 shop manual anyway, but I'm sensing that this is something I'll need to wrestle with even with that. Could have just had the local dealer swap it out, but where is the fun in that???

It’s not an easy connector to deal with in the cramped space under the tank. There is a rubber tab you pull first. It doesn’t come off but it allows the connector pinch points to be squeezed to release. It just takes some persistence. The shop manual recommends replacing them every time they are removed. If you are careful you ca reuse it but if you have spares it means you can be as rough as you want removing it. It took me a few times if disconnecting it to get the hang of it. Putting it back on is best done by putting the outer part on the tank and the inner part on the hose and then snapping in place. You just have to get the rubber piece with the tab lined up correctly first or the two halves won’t mate. Sorry I don’t have pictures.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not an easy connector to deal with in the cramped space under the tank. There is a rubber tab you pull first. It doesn’t come off but it allows the connector pinch points to be squeezed to release. It just takes some persistence. The shop manual recommends replacing them every time they are removed. If you are careful you ca reuse it but if you have spares it means you can be as rough as you want removing it. It took me a few times if disconnecting it to get the hang of it. Putting it back on is best done by putting the outer part on the tank and the inner part on the hose and then snapping in place. You just have to get the rubber piece with the tab lined up correctly first or the two halves won’t mate. Sorry I don’t have pictures.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sure I'll sort it out. Based on the description that you provide, and what I found searching posts here, I'm wondering if the 2017 is different. There is a white clip that I managed to remove. But I there isn't much in the way of rubber tabs that I can see. It's clear that there is a trick to this, but I haven't found it yet. Any suggestions welcome...and when I figure it out, I'll post what I found....

1240bd591291fedd79e123787b982a5d.jpg


16b42045ef21a63c8bc36691cb8acfd1.jpg

It’s not an easy connector to deal with in the cramped space under the tank. There is a rubber tab you pull first. It doesn’t come off but it allows the connector pinch points to be squeezed to release. It just takes some persistence. The shop manual recommends replacing them every time they are removed. If you are careful you ca reuse it but if you have spares it means you can be as rough as you want removing it. It took me a few times if disconnecting it to get the hang of it. Putting it back on is best done by putting the outer part on the tank and the inner part on the hose and then snapping in place. You just have to get the rubber piece with the tab lined up correctly first or the two halves won’t mate. Sorry I don’t have pictures.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sure I'll sort it out. Based on the description that you provide, and what I found searching posts here, I'm wondering if the 2017 is different. There is a white clip that I managed to remove. But I there isn't much in the way of rubber tabs that I can see. It's clear that there is a trick to this, but I haven't found it yet. Any suggestions welcome...and when I figure it out, I'll post what I found....

cd2475df8a4172fb2f1ebfd23167b5f4.jpg


26b86cd5c2f172e2643e42ae835231d1.jpg


Looks like the white clip might replace the rubber tab. I have a 2014 but I put a 2017 tank on it. The older style connector worked. Looks like they changed it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not an easy connector to deal with in the cramped space under the tank. There is a rubber tab you pull first. It doesn’t come off but it allows the connector pinch points to be squeezed to release. It just takes some persistence. The shop manual recommends replacing them every time they are removed. If you are careful you ca reuse it but if you have spares it means you can be as rough as you want removing it. It took me a few times if disconnecting it to get the hang of it. Putting it back on is best done by putting the outer part on the tank and the inner part on the hose and then snapping in place. You just have to get the rubber piece with the tab lined up correctly first or the two halves won’t mate. Sorry I don’t have pictures.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sure I'll sort it out. Based on the description that you provide, and what I found searching posts here, I'm wondering if the 2017 is different. There is a white clip that I managed to remove. But I there isn't much in the way of rubber tabs that I can see. It's clear that there is a trick to this, but I haven't found it yet. Any suggestions welcome...and when I figure it out, I'll post what I found....

893a7ac3c1558e321abd9803c2c76bc1.jpg


ddfd8f762c9992ae1458d70c23a4957d.jpg


Looks like the white clip might replace the rubber tab. I have a 2014 but I put a 2017 tank on it. The older style connector worked. Looks like they changed it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you zoom in on the pic of the connector you can see one of the two tabs you have to press while pulling the inner piece out. It’s hard because fat fingers don’t fit in the gap where the tabs are. Maybe some angled pliers make it easier.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not an easy connector to deal with in the cramped space under the tank. There is a rubber tab you pull first. It doesn’t come off but it allows the connector pinch points to be squeezed to release. It just takes some persistence. The shop manual recommends replacing them every time they are removed. If you are careful you ca reuse it but if you have spares it means you can be as rough as you want removing it. It took me a few times if disconnecting it to get the hang of it. Putting it back on is best done by putting the outer part on the tank and the inner part on the hose and then snapping in place. You just have to get the rubber piece with the tab lined up correctly first or the two halves won’t mate. Sorry I don’t have pictures.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sure I'll sort it out. Based on the description that you provide, and what I found searching posts here, I'm wondering if the 2017 is different. There is a white clip that I managed to remove. But I there isn't much in the way of rubber tabs that I can see. It's clear that there is a trick to this, but I haven't found it yet. Any suggestions welcome...and when I figure it out, I'll post what I found....

42fe67dab83ee740e956e30758c2f4da.jpg


26aaccfd69d14bdf207adfa67ad2f323.jpg


Looks like the white clip might replace the rubber tab. I have a 2014 but I put a 2017 tank on it. The older style connector worked. Looks like they changed it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you zoom in on the pic of the connector you can see one of the two tabs you have to press while pulling the inner piece out. It’s hard because fat fingers don’t fit in the gap where the tabs are. Maybe some angled pliers make it easier.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah....that's what I thought also. I used a tiny jeweler's screwdriver to see engage the visible tab. But by feel anyway, there isn't a tab on the opposite side. There may be, but it sure doesn't feel that way. And fiddling with what looks like the tab that you see, it sure doesn't seem to engage with anything.

I'm nothing if not patient. I'll continue to play with it in a way that won't break it. If I do give up in the end, I'll insist my dealer show me what the magic trick is. I wasn't expecting that it'd be easy, so no worries on my end other than I'm impatient to look at the bike with the new tank.
 
Thanks Cormanus, however this is a different ( new ) connector, have a look at the video in the link at post 11 in this thread, its at the beginning of the story, just click the red play button, it made me laugh because it's so easy.

Like so many other things in life it's easy if you know the trick, even master yoda would approve.
 
There you go, then.
 
I've been struggling with disconnecting the duel line for the last half-hour. I need to invest in the 2017 shop manual anyway, but I'm sensing that this is something I'll need to wrestle with even with that.

Your 2017 connector is different than what the 2014 model used. I too spent over a half-hour trying to disconnect my 2014 fuel line. Even following the manual mine would NOT come apart. I ended up using a plyers and a screwdriver, and damaged the connection. Try to avoid my mistake because it cost close to $75.00 to replace the fuel line (which comes with an identical connector on each end). You would think Honda could come up with a better design.
 
Just guessing from the picture: isn't it a bayonete-like connector, where you have to press-->twist->pull?

It looks like the biggest diameter part should be rotated before you can pull both halves appart from each other.

EDIT: Ok, now I've seen the video. (Honda High Pressure Fuel Connector) So the white clip needs to be in place, as it needs to be pressed-in to unlock the connector.
 
Thread starter
jtopiso_imp said:
Just guessing from the picture: isn't it a bayonete-like connector, where you have to press-->twist->pull?

It looks like the biggest diameter part should be rotated before you can pull both halves appart from each other.

EDIT: Ok, now I've seen the video. (Honda High Pressure Fuel Connector) So the white clip needs to be in place, as it needs to be pressed-in to unlock the connector.
Interesting about the clip. The link to bikes and travels takes me to a page where BAT says I'm trying to hack the site. I'll poke around a little on the site to see if I can find the video. Didn't have a chance yesterday to fiddle with it any more. Hopefully this evening.

EDIT: Yeah, I saw this one before. Not looking forward to trying to get he white clip back on an in place.
 
Back
Top