tank decals

Olyrider

Been there
Thread starter
I apologize for bringing up a well-worn topic, but I plan on taking extra-good care of my new-to-me '13 CB1100. Part of this means maintaining my pristine red fuel tank.

I was told by a couple of young mechanics at my neighborhood Honda store that the fuel tank decals (warning unleaded fuel only, blah, blah, blah...) probably have an indentation beneath them that will show if I peel the decals off. Honestly, I don't believe that for a moment, but that's what they said.

I'm more concerned that there might be a color difference underneath the decals. They have been there for two years.

Would someone who has removed the decals on their CB care to comment if they found indentations? Also, might there a color difference if I remove the decals? The bike hasn't left the garage for a year.

Thanks!
Paul
 
Nope. There are no indentations. Many (most?) of us have removed them. Unless your bike has spent a great deal of time in the sun, there shouldn't be any color difference.

On a side note, the adhesive that WILL get left behind is particularly resistant to removal. Use something such as Goo Gone to get it off.
 
DGShannon_imp said:
Nope. There are no indentations. Many (most?) of us have removed them. Unless your bike has spent a great deal of time in the sun, there shouldn't be any color difference.

On a side note, the adhesive that WILL get left behind is particularly resistant to removal. Use something such as Goo Gone to get it off.

Unfortunately, I am one of the idiots,:@:@, bought a 2013 used 1 month ago and removed the white sticker , I think it was something like " Unleaded Fuel only " and YES there is a color difference and bothers me every day ....
the only good thing sooner or later, i want to switch to a bigger gas tank anyway ( like a K10 from Mr. T )
 
I removed mine within 20 minutes of purchasing it lol No difference! I think it's so tacky to have those dumb stickers on there. It's not easy to get your motorcycle license so I think the rider is well aware of the risks and how to fuel the bike the stickers are just annoying. My last bike had them too. Try waxing the sticker areas after peeling it and it'll blend in
 
What holydiver said.

After I removed the stickers from my black ST you could tell. I used a swirl and scratch remover and then polished it a few times. Can't tell now unless the sun hits it just right. With time, should be invisible. Just don't use anything very abrasive.

And just so ya know, the stickers (or marks, as Honda calls them) are available.
 
I sneak onto motorcycle lots with a can of Goo Gone and remove them from bikes I don't even own. That's how much I hate them. I wear a necklace of removed tank stickers like the ears of my slain enemies.

Whoa! Sorry guys. Switched to a new brand of coffee this morning.
 
How about hitting the car lots too. I hate those dealer stickers. ;)
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
I sneak onto motorcycle lots with a can of Goo Gone and remove them from bikes I don't even own. That's how much I hate them. I wear a necklace of removed tank stickers like the ears of my slain enemies.

Whoa! Sorry guys. Switched to a new brand of coffee this morning.
I was afraid you were going to say you sniffed all the seats too....:hello:
 
Blockhead_imp said:
metallyguitarded_imp said:
I sneak onto motorcycle lots with a can of Goo Gone and remove them from bikes I don't even own. That's how much I hate them. I wear a necklace of removed tank stickers like the ears of my slain enemies.

Whoa! Sorry guys. Switched to a new brand of coffee this morning.
I was afraid you were going to say you sniffed all the seats too....:hello:
That's a whole other brand of coffee...
 
Thread starter
OP here.

The shop kids wanted me to point out, in their defense, they thought I was talking about the Honda emblems on the tank - not the warning decals.

We just got done removing the decals. Hair dryer on "high" speed and "high" heat. They came right off after waving the hair dryer over them for about a minute from about two inches away.

Then we used 3M adhesive cleaner to remove the residue, and Honda spray polish to finish. You can't tell where the decals were. This bike was sold almost two years ago, but it has been garage-stored its entire life. That must have helped protect the color.
 
Mine is a 13 that sat for two years at the dealership. I removed the stickers right away, and if the sun hits it just right, you can tell where the stickers were, but I still like it better without them. Over time the difference should wear off, or so I keep telling myself :-)
 
Ghis,

The same thing happened on the ST I bought last year. After polishing the spot a bunch of times, it seems to be blending in with the rest of the tank. No problem with the CB. It only sat at the dealer for about a month at most.

If you ever want to replace the stickers, they are available. They are called 'marks' on the parts fiche.
 
I have a 13 I bought this year leftover .... I used goo- gone to remove the stickers and you can tell where they were .. Paint is a little darker and it looks like they actually sprayed clear coat over the stickers .. It still looks better .. however you can see and feel the indention of where the 3 stickers were .. Thinking about having it buffed .. Not sure yet .....
 
I removed my stickers right away on my '14 DLX and could not tell there had ever been anything there. That area is now covered by the racing stripes I installed.

I think it depends how quickly you get them off and how much sun exposure they've had.
 
Rebel73_imp said:
I removed my stickers right away on my '14 DLX and could not tell there had ever been anything there. That area is now covered by the racing stripes I installed.

I think it depends how quickly you get them off and how much sun exposure they've had.
I saw your racing stripes .. Very cool dude ! :clap:
 
Johnboy_imp said:
Rebel73_imp said:
I removed my stickers right away on my '14 DLX and could not tell there had ever been anything there. That area is now covered by the racing stripes I installed.

I think it depends how quickly you get them off and how much sun exposure they've had.
I saw your racing stripes .. Very cool dude ! :clap:
I saw your racing stripes .. Very cool dude ! :clap:
Thanks! :D
 
Back
Top