Tallahassee the Scenic Way

redbirds_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Left yesterday morning for Tallahassee FL to visit with my brother and sister-in-law. I usually take the short and fast route in the cage but this time I was riding and that called for a leisurely pace on the scenic two lane back roads. The trip led through small communities named Cogdell, Lakeland, Hahira and Pavo in Georgia and then onto one of the scenic "Canopy Roads" north of Tallahassee, Florida. The Canopy Roads around the Tallahassee area are especially nice. The county has allowed the Live Oaks and other trees to grow close to the road so that their limbs shade the lanes. In some places the road appears like a tunnel bored through the greenery.

Stopped for a photo in the little community of Cogdell.

17551941ed6cce89ea3fcea3c5c91f21.jpg


Near the town of Lakeland is Banks Lake, a wildlife refuge and popular fishing destination.

89010906ae8302f2b4f342884f87e4a2.jpg


adb9e4300d6dddd7cd05d207346008ea.jpg


bd5aeff238bcfb937588bdb18f4a0f7d.jpg


Meridian Road just south of Thomasville GA becomes a designated Canopy Road when it enters Florida. This was a new road for me and I was surprised at the many gentle curves and hills here, something unexpected in Florida. The speed limit was 45, just right for enjoying the peace and beauty of this unique byway.

e4123c4ee7ac8802612e419f45932a92.jpg


c3b97c6bab62a5f8390994db9aac4ece.jpg


f430c614a8216e79c6a06a432d4ee029.jpg


c9762806d901dbada9c7b5d922d7d97f.jpg


On the trip home, near Hahira, GA, I found this cool Ice cream shop amid Peach orchards. In front of the place were two classic pickup trucks, a Ford and a Chevy.

181346f86e26b6d9b02b4f91902e7001.jpg

60448e8455c50701a63cf499f82b2998.jpg


f9204e2c0cf2bb56412186b9caf1f230.jpg


It was a nice ride and I can't wait to go back and try some of the other Canopy Roads.
 
Screw the canopy roads....homemade peach ice cream. Now THERE'S a reason to ride there!

Great pics. Thanks for sharing. I think a lot of us forget how beautiful Florida can be. You just have to look a little harder these days.
 
I'm off riding for a short while so reading great posts about your rides has made me envious so I walked down to the Watsons Bay Hotel for fish and chips, and a beer.
[/img]

Cheers
 
Nice pics and post, redbirds. That looks like great country for a ride.

Pteroactyl, if you can't ride, fish and chips by Sydney Harbour is not such a bad substitute.
 
Thread starter
Pterodactyl_imp said:
I'm off riding for a short while so reading great posts about your rides has made me envious so I walked down to the Watsons Bay Hotel for fish and chips, and a beer.
[/img]

Cheers
What a beautiful setting for some fish and chips and a beer of course. Cheers :beerchug:
EmptySea_imp said:
Screw the canopy roads....homemade peach ice cream. Now THERE'S a reason to ride there!

Great pics. Thanks for sharing. I think a lot of us forget how beautiful Florida can be. You just have to look a little harder these days.
:P Will be sure to stop there again for ice cream next trip out.
 
Florida away from the touristy areas can be awesomely beautiful.

Great pics redbirds!

Ptero..fish and chips has never really caught on here in the area of the states I live in. We had an Athur Treacher's Fish and Chips franchise for awhile but it went out of business. Next closest is Long John Silvers. Arrrr
 
Wow, two gorgeous scenes for the price of one! I have to say I'm partial to the harbor shot. Y'all love your boats in Australia. My Dad and I built a 21' sailboat of Aussie design. The "Hartley Trailer Sailor." Centerboard sloop, nice cabin, sailed beautifully. I'd take it down the Intracoastal on occasion and embarrass the J-4's when they were having their club races.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Florida away from the touristy areas can be awesomely beautiful.

Great pics redbirds!

Ptero..fish and chips has never really caught on here in the area of the states I live in. We had an Athur Treacher's Fish and Chips franchise for awhile but it went out of business. Next closest is Long John Silvers. Arrrr
Best fish and chips I've found is in Dunnellon, FL at Swampy's, located on the bank of the Rainbow River. Good beer selection and burgers also.

8271e3b2efba40fb2462ab78ec275aab.jpg
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
Wow, two gorgeous scenes for the price of one! I have to say I'm partial to the harbor shot. Y'all love your boats in Australia. My Dad and I built a 21' sailboat of Aussie design. The "Hartley Trailer Sailor." Centerboard sloop, nice cabin, sailed beautifully. I'd take it down the Intracoastal on occasion and embarrass the J-4's when they were having their club races.
Didn't know Hartley designed a 21' model. He had a very popular 16' trailer sailer. There are still plenty of them around and they're probable still being built. Great yachts.
 
Back
Top