TALK ME OUT OF IT!

Rboe_imp said:
I have found the size of the front wheel as it relates to handling in the real world a red herring for most folks. My Quota, with the right profiled tire, was a very good handler and had a 19" front wheel. A buddy on a 600 GXR even commented on the handling as he tried to keep up on corners. Not as flickable as my Griso or CB, but she can hang in there. The XR650L has a 21" tire and will toss with abandon into corners (tight ones, not high speed sweepers).

But this all on the street at sane and somewhat legal speeds.

I"ll second the CB500 family.
I'll agree with you that wheel size is a red herring in so much as it seems to be often blamed for a bikes slower handling characterstics. Physics, however, don't lie. There is a difference in how quickly or with how much force a larger diameter wheel will react.

The problem with the argument that a larger wheel slows steering is that it ignores the many other factors to a motorcycle's handling that include, but are not limited to:

-Frame geometry
-Steering geometry
-Suspension geometry
-Suspension setting
-Handlebar position and width
-Overall weight
-Front to rear weight bias
-Tire width
-Tire pressure
-Tire type/tread pattern/tread wear

There are only a handful of bikes available in relatively similar configurations other than wheel size:

-Suzuki DRZ400-S (21") and DRZ400-SM (17")
-Triumph Tiger XC (21") and XR (19")
-Aprilia Caponard Rally (19") and Caponard Travel Pack (17")

I have yet to see a comparison of the two configurations that focus on how the front wheel size affects handlings. Instead, moto-journalists end up comparing competitive bikes which, per my list of factors above, shows how relatively meaningless such a comparison is. I've read multiple comparison articles and the DL650 always gets compared to the Versys 650 and called out for slower handling due to that 19" wheel. Never mind the Versys is a few inches shorter between the axles. Same goes for comparing the DL1000 and the new Versys 1000 or FJ-09.

The reason I brought up the wheel size in my comment was I assuming the comment about the V-strom handling was based on the often quoted tire size difference, but also because physics are on that side of the argument, even if it makes a smaller difference than other factors. Ironically, I ended up somewhat perpetuating the very argument we both agree is mostly bunk.
 
I am new to the CB1100 but since I have owned one (3 months now) my 2012 V-Strom 650 sits in the garage. The V-Strom is very good bike but it doesn't fill you with passion for just riding. I now ride my CB1100 everywhere and when I'm touring I use my Road King, best of both worlds.

Dino
 
Thread starter
Dvassino_imp said:
I am new to the CB1100 but since I have owned one (3 months now) my 2012 V-Strom 650 sits in the garage. The V-Strom is very good bike but it doesn't fill you with passion for just riding. I now ride my CB1100 everywhere and when I'm touring I use my Road King, best of both worlds.

Dino
I came to a decision today and this is part of it.

I HAVE two bikes. Entirely different. I can eat pavement at 105 mph or I can sling-shot through traffic, power-limited but light as a feather.

Interesting...earlier tonight, at dusk, I was on my TW200 at a light. Carload of college kids rode up, gave me a thumb :thumbsup: and wanted to know what kind of bike it was. I guess it was something they thought they could use around town - light, cheap, thrifty and looks more bad-dass than a Vespa clone.

Truth is, I have what I need. I need some modification; but that would be true of a V-Strom or any other machine I might buy.. Meantime...it may have more farkles but the ADV look, like the crotch-rocket Ninja look, is becoming standard and generic.

The CB1100...not so much.

So...my decision is to save some money. Way things are going, I may need it yet; and if not, it'll be another nice monthlong road trip if the chance comes.
 
JustPassinThru_imp said:
Dvassino_imp said:
I am new to the CB1100 but since I have owned one (3 months now) my 2012 V-Strom 650 sits in the garage. The V-Strom is very good bike but it doesn't fill you with passion for just riding. I now ride my CB1100 everywhere and when I'm touring I use my Road King, best of both worlds.

Dino
I came to a decision today and this is part of it.

I HAVE two bikes. Entirely different. I can eat pavement at 105 mph or I can sling-shot through traffic, power-limited but light as a feather.

Interesting...earlier tonight, at dusk, I was on my TW200 at a light. Carload of college kids rode up, gave me a thumb :thumbsup: and wanted to know what kind of bike it was. I guess it was something they thought they could use around town - light, cheap, thrifty and looks more bad-dass than a Vespa clone.

Truth is, I have what I need. I need some modification; but that would be true of a V-Strom or any other machine I might buy.. Meantime...it may have more farkles but the ADV look, like the crotch-rocket Ninja look, is becoming standard and generic.

The CB1100...not so much.

So...my decision is to save some money. Way things are going, I may need it yet; and if not, it'll be another nice monthlong road trip if the chance comes.
I came to a decision today and this is part of it.

I HAVE two bikes. Entirely different. I can eat pavement at 105 mph or I can sling-shot through traffic, power-limited but light as a feather.

Interesting...earlier tonight, at dusk, I was on my TW200 at a light. Carload of college kids rode up, gave me a thumb :thumbsup: and wanted to know what kind of bike it was. I guess it was something they thought they could use around town - light, cheap, thrifty and looks more bad-dass than a Vespa clone.

Truth is, I have what I need. I need some modification; but that would be true of a V-Strom or any other machine I might buy.. Meantime...it may have more farkles but the ADV look, like the crotch-rocket Ninja look, is becoming standard and generic.

The CB1100...not so much.

So...my decision is to save some money. Way things are going, I may need it yet; and if not, it'll be another nice monthlong road trip if the chance comes.

Great decision, well thought out and level headed. I have found in cars or trucks or tools and even motorcycles that there is no one fits all size or type. My Vrod was the most powerful motorcycle I ever owned, it could actually give you tunnel vision under hard acceration. But it killed my back and wasn't as versatile as the CB1100.

I had a TW200 and it was the most, just running around plinking type of bike I had. You hit on the nail head when you said two totally different bikes.

At 68 yrs. old I guess its easier to satisfy my needs so the CB1100 is all I need but if you could afford two or three you could just ride the one that does what you need when you need it.

If you can truly be happy with what you have then you can forget about it and just be happy riding for the fun of it on whatever you want when you want it.

ralph
 
It's funny. Another 2 bike owner here with bikes that are entirely different. One for highway riding , and a lightweight bike for zipping around town and through traffic.

My other bike is much larger (1300cc) much heavier (150 pounds heavier) much more wind control (full fairing with adjustable windshield) much better luggage capacity (built in hard saddlebags and trunk) and way more horsepower (125)

The CB1100 is my lightweight run around town bike lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
It's funny. Another 2 bike owner here with bikes that are entirely different. One for highway riding , and a lightweight bike for zipping around town and through traffic.

My other bike is much larger (1300cc) much heavier (150 pounds heavier) much more wind control (full fairing with adjustable windshield) much better luggage capacity (built in hard saddlebags and trunk) and way more horsepower (125)

The CB1100 is my lightweight run around town bike lol
That's funny, I remember when a 250 Honda was thought of as a large bike, then a 450 and finally a CB750 was a super bike until the KZ900 hit:rofl:

ralph
 
Heck Ralph I remember getting my Honda CB 160 and thinking that was all the bike I'd ever need.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
It's funny. Another 2 bike owner here with bikes that are entirely different. One for highway riding , and a lightweight bike for zipping around town and through traffic.

My other bike is much larger (1300cc) much heavier (150 pounds heavier) much more wind control (full fairing with adjustable windshield) much better luggage capacity (built in hard saddlebags and trunk) and way more horsepower (125)

The CB1100 is my lightweight run around town bike lol
That IS funny.

But then, I'm a minimalist. If there were still kits for sale to put a motor on a bicycle, I'd probably have one.

The CB is my Big Bike. It's your little bike.

Takes all kinds, I guess...
 
JustPassinThru_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
It's funny. Another 2 bike owner here with bikes that are entirely different. One for highway riding , and a lightweight bike for zipping around town and through traffic.

My other bike is much larger (1300cc) much heavier (150 pounds heavier) much more wind control (full fairing with adjustable windshield) much better luggage capacity (built in hard saddlebags and trunk) and way more horsepower (125)

The CB1100 is my lightweight run around town bike lol
That IS funny.

But then, I'm a minimalist. If there were still kits for sale to put a motor on a bicycle, I'd probably have one.

The CB is my Big Bike. It's your little bike.

Takes all kinds, I guess...
That IS funny.

But then, I'm a minimalist. If there were still kits for sale to put a motor on a bicycle, I'd probably have one.

The CB is my Big Bike. It's your little bike.

Takes all kinds, I guess...
Funny thing is, I probably won't ever need another bike, not because of just my age, but because I've found out it's not the size of the bike, as long as it's big enough for it's use, it how well it performs it's function and how well it's built. I can tell you (although I probably don't have to) Honda's are built to last. I had a rebel 250 and I ragged on that thing every day and couldn't kill it. Finally sold it because of non-use. And it went another two or three years before being stolen and it's probably still running somewhere:rofl:

Just remembered I had it, gota add it to my sig.

ralph
 
Good on you JPT. Sensible decision. Enjoy it.
 
JustPassinThru_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
It's funny. Another 2 bike owner here with bikes that are entirely different. One for highway riding , and a lightweight bike for zipping around town and through traffic.

My other bike is much larger (1300cc) much heavier (150 pounds heavier) much more wind control (full fairing with adjustable windshield) much better luggage capacity (built in hard saddlebags and trunk) and way more horsepower (125)

The CB1100 is my lightweight run around town bike lol
That IS funny.

But then, I'm a minimalist. If there were still kits for sale to put a motor on a bicycle, I'd probably have one.

The CB is my Big Bike. It's your little bike.

Takes all kinds, I guess...
Now it there are kits to put electric motors on bicycles. They will run 50 mph no problem.
 
Just for grins, I had shot this video a short while ago and just got around to uploading it. Pardon the cross-post from the Other Motorcycles sections. Here is my set-up on my DL650.


 
You should definitely ride what weight bike you are comfortable with. Both riding and walking/handling it. But let me say that even if you had a 250, and you put your foot down and there's gravel there, you'll slide and maybe lose it. Even if it's a lighter bike, it happens so fast, you almost don't have time to react to it. Happened to me last week with my maxi scooter which is kinda top heavy, but I saved it.

How many miles and how many times have you ridden the CB1100? You just might need more practice.
 
Thread starter
Right now I have 12,500 miles on it.

That's more than I've ever ridden in one season. And yet this one has the dubious honor of being the only bike I've dropped. It's not really much heavier than most big bikes; and lighter than a lot of them; but I'm on the downward side of the hill.
 
OK I do understand. 12,500 is enough of a sample to know if you're liking it or not. Ride what makes you happy and ride safe, my friend.
 
Back
Top