TALK ME OUT OF IT!

JustPassinThru_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I'm getting restless.

Long time ago, I **ALMOST** pulled the trigger on a V-Strom 650.

I have logged high mileage this year. MOST of it was touring. With jerry-rigged duffels, strap-tied to the luggage rack.

I was a bit disappointed in the not-so-smoothness of the Honda four. Although pleased no end with its fuel economy.

Now, I'm hearing from satisfied Wee-Strom riders. What does it for me...Cycle Ergonomics shows that the V-Strom 650 will fit me better.

I can spend money and invest frustration in dropped pegs, and raised seats - or sell and buy and have one that fits.

I love the retro look. If I were a rich man I'd keep it forever. But I'm far from rich.

I'm also far from the most logical. Trading...would, now, give me a net ZERO. What I owe is what it's worth. Big goose-egg.

Hanging on, is the smart plan. I had the expensive miles. The cheap miles are next year; and the following years.

But lust calls!
 
The Wee Strom is an excellent middleweight ADV bike. i ride with someone who has the new one and it does everything pretty well...except for attracting admiring glances. I have a Tiger 800, and I am a big fan of that type of machine. It will not give you the same warm and fuzzies as the CB1100, and you're not likely to stare at it in the garage. But if you are looking to tour a bit, load it up with luggage, take on some gravel roads, and do it all in comfort, the Strom is a good choice. And that V-twin is a good motor. Tough choice, the CB is a stunner. But they're cheap used and who knows, maybe in a few years you come back to the fold!
 
Thread starter
Capo_imp said:
The Wee Strom is an excellent middleweight ADV bike. i ride with someone who has the new one and it does everything pretty well...except for attracting admiring glances. I have a Tiger 800, and I am a big fan of that type of machine. It will not give you the same warm and fuzzies as the CB1100, and you're not likely to stare at it in the garage. But if you are looking to tour a bit, load it up with luggage, take on some gravel roads, and do it all in comfort, the Strom is a good choice. And that V-twin is a good motor. Tough choice, the CB is a stunner. But they're cheap used and who knows, maybe in a few years you come back to the fold!
That helps me choose.

I guess that, even though I can't afford it, I become a three-bike owner.
 
You're an idiot those are hideous... Does that help? The tiger isn't so bad and its a triumph. I'd go that way if I wanted that sort of bike.
 
I would not try to talk you out of a V-strom. Agree with all that Capo stated and of the two V-stroms my wife has had, a 2007 and now a 2012, our experience is that they are trouble free with little to do other than routine maintenance. They don't impress bystanders, they impress their owners. And they make for an excellent touring bike with some added hard luggage. And did I mention the gas mileage, 67 mpg on some trips.
 
I am on my 2nd V-strom 650. I had a 2006 I bought in 2009. I sold it in 2014 and bought the CB within a few months. I missed the comfort, versatility, wind protection, and not caring as much if it gets dirty, wet, scratched. I bought a 2013 in January and have enjoyed it a lot.

The newer generation (2012+) has just enough refinements to make it noticeably different than the old bike. The stock suspension is a lot more appropriate to full-size (i.e. beer and burger loving) men. I had installed heavier springs on my 2006 which was a bandaid fix without increasing the rebound damping capabilities (I did put heavier fork oil in which helped, but also messes with your compression damping). This 2013 just feels so much better out of the box. I have no need to upgrade suspension bits.

The engine is now based off the Gladius and has a slightly more low and mid range power than the old SV based mill. It's a bit smoother, too. I noticed the engine is a tad more revvy now that I have switched it over to full synthetic oil. It has the slightly lumpier cadence that a twin does, but it is quite happy sitting at 6k rpm and cruising at 80 mph.

If you get one, I recommend some basic farkles: centerstand, skid plate, and engine guards. Any bike with a chain needs a way to lift up the rear end for cleaning and service be it a paddock stand or center stand. The skid plate may look overkill if you don't plan to go off the pavement, but that oil filter and exhaust header is just too vulnerable down there. Givi makes a pretty light weight plate if all you need is protection from road debris. Engine guards will also protect all the plastics in case of a tip over. There are a ton of other things you can buy for these.

There are two complaints I have about the bike. The biggest are the brakes. I love having ABS, but these need more bite. I need to try and bleed mine just to make sure I don't have any air in the system. My 06 was this way and I read that they just have a bit of mushiness at the lever. There is a lot of lever travel before you feel them bite. I am also going to try some different pads. Some like upgrading to stainless braided lines, but I think modern OEM lines are pretty stiff. A lot of the perceived performance gain could be from having freshly bled brakes.

The other is wind management, or buffeting. I have a Givi Airflow adjustable screen and that is nice. Some get some buffeting from the stock mirrors and a common upgrade is the Aprilia Tuono mirror (around $50 for a pair) as well as brackets that space the mirrors out. I have found a lot of air coming around the top of the fairing, flowing around the gas tank plastics, and then the current turns up at my torso and buffets the helmet from the bottom side. There is a guy on the Stromtrooper forum that makes a set of wind wings to address this. I ended up making my own and was pleased with the results.

If you really are considering getting one, don't hesitate to reply here with questions or send me a private message.
 
JustPassinThru_imp said:
I'm getting restless.

Long time ago, I **ALMOST** pulled the trigger on a V-Strom 650.

I have logged high mileage this year. MOST of it was touring. With jerry-rigged duffels, strap-tied to the luggage rack.

I was a bit disappointed in the not-so-smoothness of the Honda four. Although pleased no end with its fuel economy.

Now, I'm hearing from satisfied Wee-Strom riders. What does it for me...Cycle Ergonomics shows that the V-Strom 650 will fit me better.

I can spend money and invest frustration in dropped pegs, and raised seats - or sell and buy and have one that fits.

I love the retro look. If I were a rich man I'd keep it forever. But I'm far from rich.

I'm also far from the most logical. Trading...would, now, give me a net ZERO. What I owe is what it's worth. Big goose-egg.

Hanging on, is the smart plan. I had the expensive miles. The cheap miles are next year; and the following years.

But lust calls!
There is nothing like the element of passion to fuel a motorcycle purchase.
 
A riding buddy of mine bought a '13 V-Strom 650 and enjoyed it but said it didn't have quite enough grunt while loaded down. He traded it in on a '15 V-Strom 1000 and is quite happy with it. All farkled up with hard bags and some aftermarket lights and armor it is a pretty competent looking machine.

Not my cuppa tea however
 
I've only spent a very short period of time on one. In the parking lot. Loved it. I'd say go for it. Keep the CB if you can; it scratches a different itch.
 
I don't think anyone here would try to talk you out of purchasing a different bike. I went through about four different models before I saw and purchased the CB1100, (boy they sure kept the lid on the advertising for the CB1100). But when I saw it and the fit and finish and realized the refinments that have been made to a beautiful design, I knew it was the one.

After sitting on it and riding I was hooked. I probably will not purchase another motorcycle after owning the CB1100, partly because I'm 68 but if I didn't feel that way about it I might.

If you don't feel the same way about the CB1100 maybe it's not the ONE. I guess it's like wives, after marrying my wife 48 yrs. ago there wasn't any reason to look for another:thumbsup:

If you feel like I did before I purchased my CB1100 maybe you could try the Suzi. The only problem I see is, if these don't continue to come to the U.S. it might be hard to find another one.

Keep scootin:biker:

ralph
 
Ralph; I met a Moto Guzzi Griso rider from the Seattle area last year at the Datil New Mexico rally, ran into him again, on the same bike at our Not-a-Rally in Cottonwood Arizona. He asked me to see if I could see where the bike was scraping the ground (he could barely walk, much less bend over) as he heard something while cornering (his chicken strips were half the size of mine).

He shows up at the Datil Rally on an new Guzzi V7ii, turns out his last seven bikes have been either a V7 or the Griso - seems to alternate. But figures he may settle down with the V7. He rides all over the west using the stock seat, no windscreen and a small dry bag for his stuff.

He won the oldest rider award this year at 80. Last year the oldest was 92 (died this summer).
 
Rboe_imp said:
Ralph; I met a Moto Guzzi Griso rider from the Seattle area last year at the Datil New Mexico rally, ran into him again, on the same bike at our Not-a-Rally in Cottonwood Arizona. He asked me to see if I could see where the bike was scraping the ground (he could barely walk, much less bend over) as he heard something while cornering (his chicken strips were half the size of mine).

He shows up at the Datil Rally on an new Guzzi V7ii, turns out his last seven bikes have been either a V7 or the Griso - seems to alternate. But figures he may settle down with the V7. He rides all over the west using the stock seat, no windscreen and a small dry bag for his stuff.

He won the oldest rider award this year at 80. Last year the oldest was 92 (died this summer).
That's incredible:thumbsup: Well I guess you can take the boy off the motorcycle but not the motorcycle off the boy errrr or something like that:excited:

He makes me look like a piker, :D I admit I don't take the long motorcycle trips I used to, but I dream about the long one I use to take meh:D

This morning in Cleveland TX. it was 56 degrees. I got on my CB1100 and rode out HWY 59 and went to the bank and post office and then took my daughter for a ride, boy was it nice.

Keep scootin:biker:
ralph
 
At the 2009 Colorado Classic 1000, which is an IBA Saddlesore 1000, we celebrated the 80th birthday for one of our Finishers at the Finisher's Banquet in Crested Butte. He was a Goldwing rider and 2009 was his third finish in three years. And this is a grueling LD event -- there are no freeways.
 
Thread starter
Ralph_imp said:
I don't think anyone here would try to talk you out of purchasing a different bike. I went through about four different models before I saw and purchased the CB1100, (boy they sure kept the lid on the advertising for the CB1100). But when I saw it and the fit and finish and realized the refinments that have been made to a beautiful design, I knew it was the one.

After sitting on it and riding I was hooked. I probably will not purchase another motorcycle after owning the CB1100, partly because I'm 68 but if I didn't feel that way about it I might.

If you don't feel the same way about the CB1100 maybe it's not the ONE. I guess it's like wives, after marrying my wife 48 yrs. ago there wasn't any reason to look for another:thumbsup:

If you feel like I did before I purchased my CB1100 maybe you could try the Suzi. The only problem I see is, if these don't continue to come to the U.S. it might be hard to find another one.

Keep scootin:biker:

ralph
My reaction to the CB is complex. It's a bit cramped; and for some reason that's important right now (on the cusp of some medical matters that makes deep leg bends turn into muscle cramps) It's heavy; and as I'm getting older I'm having a harder time maneuvering it at walking speed. Oh, I can get it out of parking lots; but several times I've nearly went down in U-turn evolutions. In fact that's what I was doing the one time I did drop it.

By comparison, my lightweight TW feels like a mountain bike. No problem getting that around. Balance isn't my issue, at least not yet - weight is.

The bit-too-tight seating; the heaviness. I hava a Plexistar 2 windshield, but it's not a full replacement to the fairings I had on the BMW and the Burgman 650.

On the other hand, there's been some comment on the uninspiring handling of the Wee-Strom. And it's a hundred pounds liter but it's still heavy.

And...frankly, there aren't many cycles that will beat the economy I'm seeing, we all see, on the CB. Certainly not with the same level of power My Burgman, a maxi-scooter, was supposed to be ALL ABOUT economy - yet with two fewer cylinders, two-thirds the displacement, and lower horsepower, it barely did better than 55 mpg.

So much for Suzuki's technical prowess.

I've come to some conclusions. The expensive miles, are the ones I've already ridden. It probably won't devalue so steeply; and may even hold its value. The balance owed on it is in low monthly payments - not a budget buster.

Whether I buy another ride or not...I'll hang onto this one a few years. Watch for a Sheriff's Sale in maybe fifteen years...a garage-kept CB, only 12,000 miles on it, new tires. You don't see them like that anymore, folks...Old School. None of this plug-in stuff. Who'll start the bid?
 
JustPassinThru_imp said:
Ralph_imp said:
I don't think anyone here would try to talk you out of purchasing a different bike. I went through about four different models before I saw and purchased the CB1100, (boy they sure kept the lid on the advertising for the CB1100). But when I saw it and the fit and finish and realized the refinments that have been made to a beautiful design, I knew it was the one.

After sitting on it and riding I was hooked. I probably will not purchase another motorcycle after owning the CB1100, partly because I'm 68 but if I didn't feel that way about it I might.

If you don't feel the same way about the CB1100 maybe it's not the ONE. I guess it's like wives, after marrying my wife 48 yrs. ago there wasn't any reason to look for another:thumbsup:

If you feel like I did before I purchased my CB1100 maybe you could try the Suzi. The only problem I see is, if these don't continue to come to the U.S. it might be hard to find another one.

Keep scootin:biker:

ralph
My reaction to the CB is complex. It's a bit cramped; and for some reason that's important right now (on the cusp of some medical matters that makes deep leg bends turn into muscle cramps) It's heavy; and as I'm getting older I'm having a harder time maneuvering it at walking speed. Oh, I can get it out of parking lots; but several times I've nearly went down in U-turn evolutions. In fact that's what I was doing the one time I did drop it.

By comparison, my lightweight TW feels like a mountain bike. No problem getting that around. Balance isn't my issue, at least not yet - weight is.

The bit-too-tight seating; the heaviness. I hava a Plexistar 2 windshield, but it's not a full replacement to the fairings I had on the BMW and the Burgman 650.

On the other hand, there's been some comment on the uninspiring handling of the Wee-Strom. And it's a hundred pounds liter but it's still heavy.

And...frankly, there aren't many cycles that will beat the economy I'm seeing, we all see, on the CB. Certainly not with the same level of power My Burgman, a maxi-scooter, was supposed to be ALL ABOUT economy - yet with two fewer cylinders, two-thirds the displacement, and lower horsepower, it barely did better than 55 mpg.

So much for Suzuki's technical prowess.

I've come to some conclusions. The expensive miles, are the ones I've already ridden. It probably won't devalue so steeply; and may even hold its value. The balance owed on it is in low monthly payments - not a budget buster.

Whether I buy another ride or not...I'll hang onto this one a few years. Watch for a Sheriff's Sale in maybe fifteen years...a garage-kept CB, only 12,000 miles on it, new tires. You don't see them like that anymore, folks...Old School. None of this plug-in stuff. Who'll start the bid?
My reaction to the CB is complex. It's a bit cramped; and for some reason that's important right now (on the cusp of some medical matters that makes deep leg bends turn into muscle cramps) It's heavy; and as I'm getting older I'm having a harder time maneuvering it at walking speed. Oh, I can get it out of parking lots; but several times I've nearly went down in U-turn evolutions. In fact that's what I was doing the one time I did drop it.

By comparison, my lightweight TW feels like a mountain bike. No problem getting that around. Balance isn't my issue, at least not yet - weight is.

The bit-too-tight seating; the heaviness. I hava a Plexistar 2 windshield, but it's not a full replacement to the fairings I had on the BMW and the Burgman 650.

On the other hand, there's been some comment on the uninspiring handling of the Wee-Strom. And it's a hundred pounds liter but it's still heavy.

And...frankly, there aren't many cycles that will beat the economy I'm seeing, we all see, on the CB. Certainly not with the same level of power My Burgman, a maxi-scooter, was supposed to be ALL ABOUT economy - yet with two fewer cylinders, two-thirds the displacement, and lower horsepower, it barely did better than 55 mpg.

So much for Suzuki's technical prowess.

I've come to some conclusions. The expensive miles, are the ones I've already ridden. It probably won't devalue so steeply; and may even hold its value. The balance owed on it is in low monthly payments - not a budget buster.

Whether I buy another ride or not...I'll hang onto this one a few years. Watch for a Sheriff's Sale in maybe fifteen years...a garage-kept CB, only 12,000 miles on it, new tires. You don't see them like that anymore, folks...Old School. None of this plug-in stuff. Who'll start the bid?
I get all the things you just said. I'm 5'10 and 198 ( atm ) and this bike feels just right, and when I start it up I feel just like I did in 1970 when I started up the 750. But now with the fuel injection and disc brakes etc. I don't have to wait for five mins. to start riding. And it stops on a dime.

I purchased mine used so whatever depreciation was going to happen was already paid for. It is sorta old school with just a little tech thrown in to fix the bad of the old bike.

What ever happens keep scootin as long as possible, the day may come like one of my neighbors when you can't ride any longer:biker:

ralph
 
Guth_imp said:
JustPassinThru_imp said:
I'm getting restless.

Long time ago, I **ALMOST** pulled the trigger on a V-Strom 650.

I have logged high mileage this year. MOST of it was touring. With jerry-rigged duffels, strap-tied to the luggage rack.

I was a bit disappointed in the not-so-smoothness of the Honda four. Although pleased no end with its fuel economy.

Now, I'm hearing from satisfied Wee-Strom riders. What does it for me...Cycle Ergonomics shows that the V-Strom 650 will fit me better.

I can spend money and invest frustration in dropped pegs, and raised seats - or sell and buy and have one that fits.

I love the retro look. If I were a rich man I'd keep it forever. But I'm far from rich.

I'm also far from the most logical. Trading...would, now, give me a net ZERO. What I owe is what it's worth. Big goose-egg.

Hanging on, is the smart plan. I had the expensive miles. The cheap miles are next year; and the following years.

But lust calls!
There is nothing like the element of passion to fuel a motorcycle purchase.
There is nothing like the element of passion to fuel a motorcycle purchase.
Yep LOL if you like it buy it :thumbsup:
 
JustPassinThru_imp said:
Ralph_imp said:
I don't think anyone here would try to talk you out of purchasing a different bike. I went through about four different models before I saw and purchased the CB1100, (boy they sure kept the lid on the advertising for the CB1100). But when I saw it and the fit and finish and realized the refinments that have been made to a beautiful design, I knew it was the one.

After sitting on it and riding I was hooked. I probably will not purchase another motorcycle after owning the CB1100, partly because I'm 68 but if I didn't feel that way about it I might.

If you don't feel the same way about the CB1100 maybe it's not the ONE. I guess it's like wives, after marrying my wife 48 yrs. ago there wasn't any reason to look for another:thumbsup:

If you feel like I did before I purchased my CB1100 maybe you could try the Suzi. The only problem I see is, if these don't continue to come to the U.S. it might be hard to find another one.

Keep scootin:biker:

ralph
My reaction to the CB is complex. It's a bit cramped; and for some reason that's important right now (on the cusp of some medical matters that makes deep leg bends turn into muscle cramps) It's heavy; and as I'm getting older I'm having a harder time maneuvering it at walking speed. Oh, I can get it out of parking lots; but several times I've nearly went down in U-turn evolutions. In fact that's what I was doing the one time I did drop it.

By comparison, my lightweight TW feels like a mountain bike. No problem getting that around. Balance isn't my issue, at least not yet - weight is.

The bit-too-tight seating; the heaviness. I hava a Plexistar 2 windshield, but it's not a full replacement to the fairings I had on the BMW and the Burgman 650.

On the other hand, there's been some comment on the uninspiring handling of the Wee-Strom. And it's a hundred pounds liter but it's still heavy.

And...frankly, there aren't many cycles that will beat the economy I'm seeing, we all see, on the CB. Certainly not with the same level of power My Burgman, a maxi-scooter, was supposed to be ALL ABOUT economy - yet with two fewer cylinders, two-thirds the displacement, and lower horsepower, it barely did better than 55 mpg.

So much for Suzuki's technical prowess.

I've come to some conclusions. The expensive miles, are the ones I've already ridden. It probably won't devalue so steeply; and may even hold its value. The balance owed on it is in low monthly payments - not a budget buster.

Whether I buy another ride or not...I'll hang onto this one a few years. Watch for a Sheriff's Sale in maybe fifteen years...a garage-kept CB, only 12,000 miles on it, new tires. You don't see them like that anymore, folks...Old School. None of this plug-in stuff. Who'll start the bid?
I find the Wee to be a very capable handler. The 19 inch front wheel makes it a tad slower to change directions, but it'll pitch into a turn with a lot of stability and composure. The 6 inches of travel makes it pretty unflappable through bumpy turns.

The bike does carry it's weight somewhat high because it's tall. That might be an issue with those with bad legs or knees.

Have you looked at the CB500X? Similar ergos to the Wee, but sits lower and weighs less.
 
I have found the size of the front wheel as it relates to handling in the real world a red herring for most folks. My Quota, with the right profiled tire, was a very good handler and had a 19" front wheel. A buddy on a 600 GXR even commented on the handling as he tried to keep up on corners. Not as flickable as my Griso or CB, but she can hang in there. The XR650L has a 21" tire and will toss with abandon into corners (tight ones, not high speed sweepers).

But this all on the street at sane and somewhat legal speeds.

I"ll second the CB500 family.
 
Back
Top