Tales of the Dragon

Lord Popgun_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
Sounds like a great side trip. Hope it works out and remember: if there aren't photos, it didn't happen.
Some co-workers are going to ride the Dragon this Summer. I told them to get me a T-Shirt and I'll just tell everybody I rode it...:P
Some co-workers are going to ride the Dragon this Summer. I told them to get me a T-Shirt and I'll just tell everybody I rode it...:P
Maybe we could change the Forum's demand to "If there ain't a T-Shirt it didn't happen."
 
c09a9e744730c0894df666414ce8f7d8.jpg
 
Thread starter
Splitting Up With My Wife On Her Birthday

Yes, it was her birthday (May 1) and, yes, we decided that it was best if we went our separate ways.

Our next stop was Nashville, TN, but I wanted to visit my best friend, Kelly, who has lived in Chattanooga for the last twenty years. Kelly has a number of medical issues and, in fact, the whole idea of this trip started with my plan to get down to Chattanooga to visit him. So, it was decided that I would ride solo from Robbinsville to Chattanooga and the rest of the crew would ride directly to Nashville. They would take the mostly 2 lane US70 and I would high-tail it up I-24 for Cheryl's birthday celebration after lunch with Kelly.

This day, we did not have to rely on Cheryl and Laura to keep the rain at bay. The forecast for area as sunny, but cool. Probably the perfect day to have another run at The Dragon or Moonshiner28 in the morning and hit Cherohala Skyway in the afternoon. Alas, we committed to being in Nashville 5:00PM so we checked out of Two Wheel Inn relatively early, skipped breakfast for the time being, and head to our two destinations.

Even though I was going southwest and the rest were heading northwest, both routes took us out on Cherohala, although I had about a 15-20 minute head start and was not planning on stopping at Bald River Falls as the rest of the group was. Our routes would split at Tellico Plains and I would try to get down to Chattanooga by 11:30.

We got a lot of advice from people when we started planning this trip. A LOT OF ADVICE. Most of it was solicited and appreciated. "No one in your group has rode The Dragon before? tsk Not a good idea." "Just ride your ride and let the faster bikes pass you." "Be sure to ride Cherohala -- Much prettier than The Dragon. -- you get the idea. Funny thing is, though, that no one - not one single person - told us how Cherohala Skyway takes you though higher elevations and that the weather there can be substantially different than on 129. I guess the word "Skyway" should have tipped me off.....

I was in a little bit of a hurry, but that didn't distract me from noticing the sunny day and the winding road leading up out of Robbinsville. And UP it was. It stayed sunny for quite a while, but the temperature seemed to drop noticably at each mile marker....and then clouds rolled in. Like fog. Like smoke. Like a fine cold mist. It severely cut my visability. I switched from my dark sunglasses to my low light glasses to just clear glasses. Laura told me later that her thermometer read 39(f) at one point. The cold didn't slow me down, but the clouds almost stopped me. I was going to wait it out if it got to the point where I could not see the next turn and, for your information, there are numerous spots to pull off. Luckily, it never got that bad and it began to clear as I began my descent into Tellico Plains.

The flash kind of made the sign hard to read, but this was the view at about 2600 feet...
7ab9097f9d4b5f9755511d29e7b67ea1.jpg


...and here is the (lack of) view at 5400 feet
d0c44905bbd1d02d7799d44a7a9291e2.jpg


The rest of The Sons of Art Carney (our "club" name is a story for another thread) encountered the same weather, but they still took time out to enjoy the scenery of Bald River Falls (a stop recommended by Miss Kathy, our waitress from the Huddle House earlier in the week)

5a3cae3d57584335f875cd67112291d0.jpg


The following two photos appear courtesy of Bump Start Mike Photography, LLC All Rights Reserved.
2ee0fbe33004af2ed97dd396c3802605.jpg


26c85731eabc8a1bd3f344d9bff02883.jpg


By the time I got to Tellico Plains, I was in need of a cup of coffee and a few minutes to warm up. There is next to nothing in Tellico Plains from what I can tell(ico), so Hardee's was my option. It was not terrible coffee, but I should have stopped here (which my cohorts did...damn them)...

(found out later that they had good coffee and they're right on the river...still kicking myself for not stopping. Guess I'll just have to ride down there again)
30b8b74317b41a5cf177732736b0488c.jpg


I left Tellico and worked my way to TN315 and TN30 south to US74 then onto I-75 to the River Street Deli in Chattanooga. The serve up some seriously good food in seriously large portions here. Definitely worth the trip. Kelly was in good spirits and looked pretty great for a guy with a leaky heart valve, diabetes, and an improperly functioning kidney.

Also worth the trip was TN315 and TN30. What a beautiful ride I had through the rolling countryside of southeastern Tennessee. If you are ever in the area, ride these roads. Yes, that's an order. I got a little confused and stopped for directions at this "Texaco Station" which is more of general store and post office and rafting outfitter than a gas station. I did not have time to explore the store, but if you're there and have the time, stop in and check it out.

f67636469579208469e111578a654eec.jpg

984be16d6942e89f9557b9b5692ec124.jpg


Finally found pumps that didn't say "MAY CONTAIN UP TO 10% ETHANOL"
eac244438379e05f188fa885c44e1f3b.jpg


When I said "high-tailed" up to Nashville, I meant it. I-24 is 70mph almost the whole way and traffic was moving at considerably over the posted speed. I felt a social obligation to keep up with the "Jones's" and made really good time (Don't tell Cheryl..she worries -- more about the cost of a speeding ticket than about my welfare, but she worries).

The Best Western Downtown Convention Center is undergoing major renovations, but was a very decent place to stay even so. I think it will be much nicer in the very near future. The construction, the one-way streets, and a giant crane blocking the main intersection in front of the hotel conspired to delay the rest of the group from as prompt an arrival as they had hoped. I used the Find My iPhone app and found that they were within two blocks of our hotel, but running up and down the street did not reveal them to me. I found out later there was something about pulling into another hotel's parking garage and getting bad directions from a cop, or something--I don't know. What I DO know is that they eventually got to the hotel and everyone was excited to share in Cheryl's birthday gift--front row seats at The Ryman Auditorium to see Loretta Lynn along with a host of other artists live in the long-time former home of the Grand Ole Opry.

I had a little time to kill while my friends were lost in Nashville, so I grabbed a pic of my CB at The Ryman
111dc86210dc6a71c7d7e400f81679ac.jpg


It was a great show. Ms. Lynn wore an old-school sparkly purple dress and belted out her most famous songs with a verve that belied her octogenarian status. I think Mike has a few photos from inside that I will share once I have them in hand. Oh, and if you don't know who Jim Ed Brown is, you may want to listen to some of his stuff. He's also in his 80s and sang a beautiful song beautifully. If you're interested, you can listen to a recording of the whole show (May 1st) at Opry Country Classics Archive

After the show we got us some BBQ and beer at Rippy's on Broadway. Great live band, perhaps a little loud for the typical CB1100 rider, but they played a surprisingly diverse mix of rock and country (I think they covered Pretenders followed up by George Jones at one point) and the place was hopping. I had the pulled smoked chicken and it was fantastic. We were a bit too tired to fully enjoy the nightlife on Broadway, but we stopped at another quiet spot on, I think, 5th for a cocktail and some conversation then back to the hotel. We had an another early start planned for Friday. After all, it was another 300 miles from here to Nashville..... (to be continued...)
 
I'm beginning to think you should change your handle from Emptysea to Wrong Way Corrigan ;)
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I'm beginning to think you should change your handle from Emptysea to Wrong Way Corrigan ;)
Hey! LOL I was never lost. Yes, I did stop at Texaco, but that was because the sign for 30 south was nowhere to be seen. I just needed a quick confirmation that I was on the right path..and I was :P
 
Um not the first story I heard about you going the wrong way. Your Sons of Art Carney told me many a tale of following you to "somewhere", but it was towards the wrong "where" :rolleyes: lol

Cool pics as usual Matt :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Um not the first story I heard about you going the wrong way. Your Sons of Art Carney told me many a tale of following you to "somewhere", but it was towards the wrong "where" :rolleyes: lol

Cool pics as usual Matt :thumbsup:
Well...yes...I DO have a reputation for going east to get west...but that's half the fun of riding, right? right?
 
Grrrr!! I'm so anal I'll have to fix it. :)
 
Thread starter
Wait. It's 300 Miles FROM Nashville TO Nashville?!?

Our visits to our primary destinations, Deal's Gap, Chattanooga, and Nashville, were complete. Now began our journey homeward.

I am not sure if you know much about Illinois and Indiana, but most of the roads there are flat and straight, usually not well paved, and often windy. Sure, we'd have a little more of Tennessee and Kentucky to ride through, but we were not looking forward to 500 miles of mostly interstate boredom over the remaining two days of our trip. As an alternative, we planned a 600 mile route that would first take us through The Hoosier National Forest and Brown County State Park to Nashville, Indiana and then, the following day, home by a somewhat more direct route.

Out of Nashville (Tennessee) we went, heading out on US31E, but only after I took a wrong turn (shut up, Mickey) that allowed us the opportunity to see a bit more of downtown Nashville than was previously planned. US31E to US25W neither of which took us particularly E or W, but rather more N toward Kentucky, where we would pick up US231 at Bowling Green. All nice roads. We came to love the US highways because they were fast (enough), but still took us through some interesting small towns.

Weather was a little chilly, but rain wasn't a worry. We ate a light breakfast at the hotel in Nashville so we weren't getting hungry until just outside of Morgantown, KY. As the lead rider, it was going to be my decision where we would stop to eat and that's a lot of responsibility! We try not to stop at chain restaurants as we like to pick up some of the 'local flavor'. Still, many of these towns didn't have a cute little roadside cafe in them; mostly just McDonald's and Hardee's. Then I spotted a cute little cottage-looking building with a couple of those "OPEN" flags hanging off it and I thought "Perfect" and started to extend my left arm to signal a turn. NOPE. It was a satellite TV and cellular phone store.

Not too far up the way, in the heart of Morgantown, I finally did find a place. Quite a place. I mean...how can you NOT stop at a joint called....
6e607d5096c1a96508be470a263c67dc.jpg


I don't recall what everyone ate, but Laura had the fried chicken livers (gotta love a place with THAT on the menu!) and I had what they called The Chuckwagon, which turns out to be a chicken-fried hamburger and was delicious. Although, I think you could chicken-fry a shoe and it would be delicious.

Shortly after Morgantown, we turned north off of 231. We did 69 for the next 45 minutes or so until we crossed the Ohio River into Indiana. We were supposed to take 66 (The Ohio River Scenic Byway) into Hoosier national Forest, but the road was closed, probably due to flooding, so IN37 was the detour. We eventually reconnected to 66, took it to IN135 and took that into Nashville, IN for our stay at the Brown County Inn. The roads we took through Hoosier Forest and Brown State Park were absolutely beautiful: rolling farmland, streams, forests. You should plan a visit to the area. We are going to try to get back there this fall.

We did get a little lost somewhere along the way (shut up, again, Mickey). While trying to get our bearings, a gentlemen came out from his front porch, walked over and said in a voice that, to me, sounded like Strother Martin in Cool Hand Luke "What you'll want to do is take this road up to the stop sign. Turn right. Head down to the next stop sign and turn left and you'll be right where you want to be." He did not tell us, though, that the first stop sign was about 6 miles away and would take us down progressively narrower roads until I was not the only one that thought that were were about to be victims of some sort of Criminal Minds-like serial murder--I was waiting for a guy in overalls to pull his truck into our path, hop out and reach into the bed to get his chainsaw. His directions were right on, though, and we got back on our way to Brown County Inn.

[We were in a little bit of a hurry, due in part to the detour, some issues with finding a gas station, and taking "Strother's Route" (still shut up, Mickey). Therefore, I didn't take any pictures of this leg of our trip. Some of the others may have, though, and I will add them to this thread if I obtain any]

We arrived at Brown County Inn about an hour before the dining room would close. Arriving at 8:00pm turned out to be perfect timing and I kept my promise to Laura not to make her ride on unfamiliar back roads in the dark. :)

The Inn turned out to be the perfect stopping place for us. No one wanted to ride someplace else to eat and they have a very nice dining room. They also have a bar that had a young man playing guitar and singing which made our night-cap very pleasant. The Inn is rustic and comfortable and walking distance to a row of small shops (although we got there too late and were leaving too early to take advantage of this last part). It is, I want to reiterate, a great motorcycle destination.

The only picture I have of the Inn. The dining room. The people in the picture are not us. They are a group of professional anglers in the area for a fishing competition.
f2deffb0982c87bdc5f99dcafa537b71.jpg


After an after dinner cocktail, we headed down the corridor to our rooms. The next day, our last day, was to be a long one.... (to be continued...)
 
My favorite section of your report so far...know why? .................It sounds like a great day, which often seem to be going so wrong, but end up being so right! :thumbsup:
 
This must have been a great trip. Thanks again.
 
Thread starter
The Long And Windy Road That Leads To Your Door

Breakfast buffet at Brown County Inn--yet another benefit of staying at a resort rather than a motel. Plenty of food to fuel our bodies and 275 more miles to fuel our souls.

We decided to hit the road right after breakfast rather than hanging out in Nashville, exploring the little shops and such. It turned out to be a good decision to get on the road. The road was IN46 into Bloomington on a windy, sunny, and cool, and windy Saturday. A relaxing, curvy, and mostly tree-lined ride. I believe it was the most pleasant start to any of our riding days. Just one of those roads that makes you love motorcycling. Did I mention that it was windy?

It was to be 46 through Bloomington, picking up US231 and then a left and a right and we'd wind up on US41 North which would take us the bulk of the way back to the Chicagoland area. We would stop for lunch someplace, but I was not going to take full responsibility for where--too much stress. If I saw a place, I decided I would stop and ask for a consensus. 46 was pretty straight after Bloomington, but both it and US231 have enough curves to make things a little more palatable. Nice ride, but it was windy.

We turned off of 231 (the aforementioned left) onto US36 west toward Rockville. Rockville was looking like a good place to stop for food. 36 was pretty much straight as an arrow west into the 20+mph wind. I don't know if I mentioned it, but it was windy.

Rockville is the county seat for Parke County ("The Covered Bridge Capital of the World") and, as such, has a beautiful courthouse in the center of the town square. Adjacent to that is a little restaurant/bar called Thirty-Six Saloon which looked good to me, but I also noticed another bar a little up the street with a bunch of bikes parked in front. I pulled off to the side and, as I previously decided, left the choice to the group and we opted for Thirty-Six as the other bar seemed too crowded to get a relatively quick lunch. It was a good choice.

Thirty-Six does their own BBQ and their brisket was fantastic. As it turns out, we stayed a little bit longer than originally planned because, although it was not spoken, it felt good to be off the bikes for a bit because it was really windy.

Thirty-Six Saloon
22026ee13f890ce5c67e02fa2d54e632.jpg


474e7a2710a2074ca114e6ec33215911.jpg


a8476f057bb83ab17ec173144185623f.jpg


4951a209922151a8773145c939d11d58.jpg


After lunch, we hopped on the bikes and made that right turn I mentioned earlier onto US41 north. The section of 41 north of 36 until just past Turkey Run State Park is really a great motorcycle road. Not challenging, but big sweeping turns and some elevation changes made for a picturesque ride. We even crossed a river where I beeped and waved at kayakers who actually waved back! Kind of silly, but kind of neat, too. The curves, the trees, and the hills broke up the wind a little, which was a relief. It was really windy that day.

Shortly after passing Turkey Run, 41 runs north along the Indiana/Illinois border through flat farm country. We passed a few wind farms along the way. Apparently, this section of Indiana gets a lot of wind all year around. This was evident to us as we rode with all bikes leaning noticeably to their left. The Goldwing and F6B had fewer problems with the wind, but we were all getting beat up a bit as we rode the 75 miles to our next scheduled gas stop. That 75 miles at 65mph felt like 150 because, as you may know, it was very windy.

Somewhere close to Morocco, IN, where we had our first breakfast on this trip, someone in our group lost their last lunch. A little stress and a lot of wind caused a little queasiness and we had to stop at the side of the road for a few minutes before the gas stop and then for a few minutes more at the gas stop itself. Boy, was it windy.

We decided that we would take the remaining 100-125 miles home slower and we would stop to check on our distressed rider about every 1/2 hour and at stoplights until we arrived at home. We thought this was best because it was still very windy.

I hesitated to talk about our queasy rider because I didn't want to embarrass that person in any way. I included it, though, because it caused me to realize that me and my friends were were different now than we were when we started riding together. Our universal agreement to stop frequently in deference to our weakened member showed me that we were now a cohesive unit, not 5 individual riders and 1 passenger. One "club" as opposed to a 6 member "group". It wasn't an individual rider in distress. Rather, the club was in distress and it was the club's responsibility to get home as one.

As it turns out, we felt much better after the rest break in Morocco. The rest of the trip was still very windy, but the frequent breaks made us feel better able to cope with that. We made the mistake of taking 41 all the way to I-80 which brought us through two towns with dozens of stoplights. This worked out OK for us in light of our circumstances, but avoid this if you are traveling up US41 toward Chicago--huge waste of time.

Safe at home...
6709473c23d85591923172bcf8f800f8.jpg






We arrived home tired and wind-blown, but thrilled about the amazing journey we had just completed. Sometimes, after a trip with friends, there is a period of reflection before discussions of the trip or plans for future trips begin. We arrived home, if I recall, at about 5:00pm. By 6:00pm I had emails from everyone in the group talking about the trip and looking forward to the next one. 1800 miles. Eight days. Six riders. Five bikes. One unit. One fantastic ride. Many more to come.







f02fe96b6fa70e4d3ee2c91f447551b3.jpg







(Thanks, Mickey :) )
 
Sounds like a great trip Matt, you happened to go through my old area on your way home. I lived south of Rockville in Brazil, Indiana for 10 years and travelled Rt.36 & 41 many times between Chicago and Brazil. You would have been better off turning west at Indiana Rt. 2 as it becomes Illinois Rt. 17, then Rt.1, before finally turning into I-394. :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
ADDENDUM #1: MAPS

These are pictures, rather than links, but they should give anyone interested a good general idea of the routes we took. Please feel free to send me a PM if you want more details.

Chicago to Sharonville
f06b8afc7b3df7487e897e3fb9171f35.jpg


Sharonville to Paris (portions redacted)
eb110e8927f3c32b2ddfa341f334459b.jpg


Paris to Berea
ad2cacb934df41d9212fa90b072deff5.jpg


Berea to Corbin to Clinton
d6ce7b18b979ab0a87777d16f969d76a.jpg


Robbinsville to Chattanooga to Nashville
5528ee59103b3e0d7ad1eb43ad6b62e3.jpg


Robbinsville directly to Nashville
a0a2dc12edb88d9e891bbaba7a370972.jpg


Nashville to Nashville
fa09b849ba33c61220461c9a705d4e36.jpg


Nashville to Chicago (Did I mention that it was windy??)
8374b5308a1ad501addf0b04bf8867a3.jpg
 
Great report Empty Sea. You guys blew through Kentucky on your way back before I knew it. I would have loved to have met up with you guys to show you a few sites and ride a little. Glad you all made it home safely.
 
Back
Top