Tail of the Dragon conditions

aircooledwrench_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Hi all
We rode The Dragon in fine style with the CB 1100 and didn't crash once! However, a rather large black snake sunning himself on the Tennessee side of RT 129 really got my wife's attention. I'm glad she was riding the CanAm during that encounter. At any rate, the road conditions were quite good, especially compared to the crumbling excuse for pavement we have in eastern Pennsylvania. Have fun in the twisties but watch for snakes when you're here at the end of the month. Be sure to ride Moonshiner 28. And thanks for all the great info on this fine forum.
 
Great on all counts. Hope you'll be posting up some Killboy pics.

I've seen a lot of snakes on the roads down there for some reason?
 
So what should be the reaction to a snake in sharp leaning curves like the Dragon?

My first instinct would be to let the bike stand up, go straight across the snake, then try to get it back down and turning before running into the other lane or off the far side of the road.

Any pointers, suggestions?
 
Just keep the bike going where you planned to put it. Unless you'd rather put yourself at more risk than the snake. If you have got plenty of time to change your line that is another matter. I've known big brownies to remain up under the chassis of a car but have never heard of them sticking to a bike. Anyway I wear leathers so I might get away with an itty bitty bite. The thought of a King Brown wrapped around me at high speed almost, I say almost, makes me want to laugh. Hysterically.

Cheers
Come to think about it I'm more worried about the Bears. Tell me, if both rider and bear survive the impact, would the bear be inclined to eat the rider?
 
Bears, snakes, kangaroo, dear ... all in a day's work.

I was alarmed today to see a new sign warning of deer. In Australia! I s this revenge for Johnny Depp's dogs?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Bears, snakes, kangaroo, dear ... all in a day's work.

I was alarmed today to see a new sign warning of deer. In Australia! I s this revenge for Johnny Depp's dogs?
I dunno, my dear is usually quite harmless. Unless provoked, which I am very careful not to do. :D

Cheers
 
Your dear is exactly that, Pterodactyl. This was one of those nasty yellow pictorial signs warning of deer! It was not okaye.

Redbirds, black snakes here come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, not s single one of them friendly and one in particular rates as the deadliest in the world.
 
Cormanus,

Are there dingos where you are? Will they attack you?
 
I'm sure dingoes live around here, but I've never seen one and they're certainly not a threat. The only ones I've seen are a little north of here on Fraser Island. They have attacked children there, but their circumstances are very peculiar—the island is a national park and they have no predators.

Kangaroos are far more dangerous when they bounce out in front of you at around dusk!
 
I guess my main concern wasn't being bitten, but losing traction in a heavy leaning turn just long enough to start a slide that I couldn't recover from.

Although I think I would time to react a little, I would probably just run over it and whatever happens, happens.
 
There you go, popgun. A dingo I met on Fraser Island.
 
Offorad.. I have run over snakes before... I don't like it, they don't like it. One I hit on the Cherohala was pretty big..maybe 4' er , 1 1/2" in diameter. I actually lifted both feet off the pegs when I hit that one so he couldn't strike me lol. Luckily none have been leaned far over in a turn, but rather in a sweeper and I remember on that one straightening up just as I was about to hit, and laying it back over after the hit.
 
I've run over a lot of tar snakes, but never a real snake and I sure don't want to hit that dingo, or a kangaroo. Deer are a real danger here though. Mostly at dawn and dusk.
 
Me too, popgun. I've run over many a tar snake, one real snake and, mercifully, no kangaroo, dingo or deer. I also once had a car in front of me run over a snake which lifted into the air. There was a moment when I was worried we'd end up on the bike together.
 
I had to google wombats. Man, those things are big!

I'd worry about Tasmanian Devils. They spin around at 100MPH and make little tornados. I know, I've seen it on Bugs Bunny! :)
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I had to google wombats. Man, those things are big!

I'd worry about Tasmanian Devils. They spin around at 100MPH and make little tornados. I know, I've seen it on Bugs Bunny! :)
Wombat (and kangaroo) warning sign:

a4eba07a0b8e4181d715db22309f6783.jpg


Natures answer to a bulldozer. A dense muscular form that looks like a small thick tree log has grown four stumpy legs and has been fur upholstered. They are approximately one meter in length when fully grown and weigh in at roughly 35 kilos. They also have a think protective shield of cartilage that they turn on attackers that is almost impervious to harm.
I’m reliably told colliding with a wombat is like crashing into a tree stump. A tree stump with a butt shield! In themselves they pose no huge risk, they are vegetarian and nocturnal of habit. They like to graze on the fresh grass shoots by the road. Sometimes they take a fancy to the grass on the other side of the road. They are not easy to see, particularly on a rainy evening or early morning. Hit one and you will become, at least, part of the scenery.

Cheers
 
Back
Top